Discussion What will come after Sun and Moon?

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
This is something that has been bothering me, what will come after Sun and Moon? It's unlikely that it would be Sinnoh remakes and since the lack of sequels for X and Y (Oras doesn't count) I'm a little skeptical about a sequel ESPECIALLY after X and Y never got one when it had a lot of explaining to do...

I know it seems way to soon but what do you think will come next?

Pokemon's patterns in terms of new games have been getting very unpredictable starting with B2/W2.

Gray? Nope, B2/W2.

Z? Nope, OR/AS.

Ok now we're getting Z, right? Nope, Sun/Moon.

What I'm saying is it's next to near impossible to figure out what's next. Imo, I would love to see a game involving the stories of Unova, Kalos and Alola combining in some way. Sort of like a sequel/crossover/"everything you have seen has led to this" kind of game. I have no idea how they would make that work, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really getting hard to predict at this point. There's any number of directions they could go in, some more likely than others.

Eclipse/SM2- Like @SkyeVictini said, Game Freak has made a point in not being too predictable recently, they made BW2 instead of Gray and SM instead of Z. If we're getting this at all, it'll be in some unique and unexpected way.
XY2- Zygarde is off the table as a mascot since he's getting focus in SM, but what about Xerneas and Yveltal? They don't have Megas or Primals yet, so they could potentially get new forms of some sort and they could connect them to SM and whatever's happening with Zygarde.
Hoenn revisit- Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza all have Megas/Primals, and recently they've been using new forms and Megas as mascots for revisit games (Giratina got Origin Form for Platinum, Kyurem got Black/White Kyurem for BW2, Groudon and Kyogre got Primal forms for ORAS). The fact that they gave Rayquaza a Mega in ORAS implies that they probably don't plan on returning to Hoenn anytime soon
Kanto revisit- RBY being released on VC decreases the likelihood of this happening, but there is an argument to be made for a full, modern Kanto game. Another Kanto remake probably wouldn't be interesting to them at this point, but they could potentially do a sequel and bundle a copy of the VC game for players that want the original story for reference. They might not want to mess with Kanto too much though because of nostalgia, they could really upset Gen 1 fans.
DP remakes- This could happen, but they don't seem to like bringing back old regions until they're no longer backwards compatible. This probably won't happen until NX when DS games are no longer playable.
Multiple regions in one game- I don't think they plan on doing this anymore. Multiple regions tends to cause problems with game pacing and content, and they'd probably rather focusing on fleshing out one region than cramming in two shallow ones.
8th gen- We're just starting a new generation, so we probably won't immediately move on to the next gen so soon. 8th gen would probably be 2018/2019.

So if I had to guess, probably XY2 but there's no telling anymore.

Yeah, it's really getting hard to predict at this point. There's any number of directions they could go in, some more likely than others.

Eclipse/SM2- Like @SkyeVictini said, Game Freak has made a point in not being too predictable recently, they made BW2 instead of Gray and SM instead of Z. If we're getting this at all, it'll be in some unique and unexpected way.
XY2- Zygarde is off the table as a mascot since he's getting focus in SM, but what about Xerneas and Yveltal? They don't have Megas or Primals yet, so they could potentially get new forms of some sort and they could connect them to SM and whatever's happening with Zygarde.
Hoenn revisit- Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza all have Megas/Primals, and recently they've been using new forms and Megas as mascots for revisit games (Giratina got Origin Form for Platinum, Kyurem got Black/White Kyurem for BW2, Groudon and Kyogre got Primal forms for ORAS). The fact that they gave Rayquaza a Mega in ORAS implies that they probably don't plan on returning to Hoenn anytime soon
Kanto revisit- RBY being released on VC decreases the likelihood of this happening, but there is an argument to be made for a full, modern Kanto game. Another Kanto remake probably wouldn't be interesting to them at this point, but they could potentially do a sequel and bundle a copy of the VC game for players that want the original story for reference. They might not want to mess with Kanto too much though because of nostalgia, they could really upset Gen 1 fans.
DP remakes- This could happen, but they don't seem to like bringing back old regions until they're no longer backwards compatible. This probably won't happen until NX when DS games are no longer playable.
Multiple regions in one game- I don't think they plan on doing this anymore. Multiple regions tends to cause problems with game pacing and content, and they'd probably rather focusing on fleshing out one region than cramming in two shallow ones.
8th gen- We're just starting a new generation, so we probably won't immediately move on to the next gen so soon. 8th gen would probably be 2018/2019.

So if I had to guess, probably XY2 but there's no telling anymore.
At this point I don't even know for myself... Guess we'll be in for a surprise lol

Yeah, Gamefreak has really been unpredictable these past few years.

What I think will happen:

I'd think we'll see the Generation 7 pattern similar to that of the DP generation. Where we'd get Sun and Moon, then their alternate game, which most people are calling Pokemon Eclipse. Then we'd end off the generation with a region revisit.

Now the region revisit is where this gets complicated. It would either be Kalos or Sinnoh. Why? Well they have four options here.

-Option 1 is where in Pokemon Sun, Moon, and Eclipse, we revisit the Kalos region, where the story is cleared up and loose ends are tied.
-Option 2 is where the above does not happen, and we get another Kalos game such as Pokemon X2 and Y2, or Pokemon Z.
-Option 3 is where they decide to do a Sinnoh remake, and start making tons of cash from those Sinnoh suckers (which trust me, they're more plentiful than you think).
-Option 4 is where none of this happens, and they just skip to the next generation.

The order I think Gen 7 will play out:

2016: Pokemon Sun and Moon
2017: Pokemon Eclipse
2018: Pokemon Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl

My hopes on what happens:

I'm hoping that the order goes like this:

2017: Pokemon Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl
2018: Pokemon Eclipse
2019: Pokemon XZ and YZ

Yeah, I'm hoping for a long generation. Generations 3 and 4 were the longest generations to date. Generation 5 was very short, and so was Generation 6. My problem is that those generations only had 2 games each. I want more games in Generation 7 to make up for the lack of them in Gens 5 and 6.

Yeah, Gamefreak has really been unpredictable these past few years.

What I think will happen:

I'd think we'll see the Generation 7 pattern similar to that of the DP generation. Where we'd get Sun and Moon, then their alternate game, which most people are calling Pokemon Eclipse. Then we'd end off the generation with a region revisit.

Now the region revisit is where this gets complicated. It would either be Kalos or Sinnoh. Why? Well they have four options here.

-Option 1 is where in Pokemon Sun, Moon, and Eclipse, we revisit the Kalos region, where the story is cleared up and loose ends are tied.
-Option 2 is where the above does not happen, and we get another Kalos game such as Pokemon X2 and Y2, or Pokemon Z.
-Option 3 is where they decide to do a Sinnoh remake, and start making tons of cash from those Sinnoh suckers (which trust me, they're more plentiful than you think).
-Option 4 is where none of this happens, and they just skip to the next generation.

The order I think Gen 7 will play out:

2017: Pokemon Eclipse
2018: Pokemon Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl

My hopes on what happens:

I'm hoping that the order goes like this:

2017: Pokemon Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl
2018: Pokemon Eclipse
2019: Pokemon XZ and YZ

Yeah, I'm hoping for a long generation. Generations 3 and 4 were the longest generations to date. Generation 5 was very short, and so was Generation 6. My problem is that those generations only had 2 games each. I want more games in Generation 7 to make up for the lack of them in Gens 5 and 6.

Considering that the NX is launching next year, I doubt this will be a long generation. Game Freak has to have the NX development kits by now which means we should see 8th gen on the NX in either 2018 or 2019. They can't wait any longer than that or else the NX will have no Pokemon game to sell it (remember how long it took XY to come to 3DS and there were complaints about that? They want to minimize that as much as possible). DP remakes will also probably be saved for NX when we can no longer play DS games on current gen hardware. So maybe we'll see a second game in 2017, then 8th gen in 2018/2019.

Considering that the NX is launching next year, I doubt this will be a long generation. Game Freak has to have the NX development kits by now which means we should see 8th gen on the NX in either 2018 or 2019. They can't wait any longer than that or else the NX will have no Pokemon game to sell it (remember how long it took XY to come to 3DS and there were complaints about that? They want to minimize that as much as possible). DP remakes will also probably be saved for NX when we can no longer play DS games on current gen hardware. So maybe we'll see a second game in 2017, then 8th gen in 2018/2019.
The only doubt in my head I have about this, is that the NX is a hybrid system. Pokemon has been a mobile game since the beginning. I just don't like the idea of playing Pokemon on my TV, or however the hell this thing is gonna work. I'm really not sure what the NX is, and I'm not sure if it's a Wii U replacement, 3DS replacement, or both. That's what I'd like to know. I still think and hope that this generation will be a bit longer than these last 2, but we'll see. Just please, I still wanna be able to play Pokemon on a mobile system.

The only doubt in my head I have about this, is that the NX is a hybrid system. Pokemon has been a mobile game since the beginning. I just don't like the idea of playing Pokemon on my TV, or however the hell this thing is gonna work. I'm really not sure what the NX is, and I'm not sure if it's a Wii U replacement, 3DS replacement, or both. That's what I'd like to know. I still think and hope that this generation will be a bit longer than these last 2, but we'll see. Just please, I still wanna be able to play Pokemon on a mobile system.

It's true that we don't know how it works just yet, but support for the 3DS and Wii U seems to be winding down (and it's definitely replacing the Wii U despite what Nintendo is saying) so I'd say it's a safe bet that Pokemon's future is on the NX.

And if it is a hybrid system, then that would be even better. Game Freak has said in the past they're open to developing on a console that has a portable component, so they should be perfectly happy with a hybrid system. Not only would it get a Pokemon game, but it'd also be the first console to get a main series Pokemon game which would be very exciting.

Pokemon Colosseum and XD weren't enough for you?

They're not main series, they're considered spinoffs. They don't have the traditional Pokemon league quest and for the most part you only get Pokemon by snagging. It retains the same battle mechanics so they're pretty close, but they've never really been considered main games.

I just feel like in my opinion that they could remake the sinnoh region because i didn't feel the storyline in itself was that great

They also could make a third Red/Blue remake because firered/leafgreen is like very old

ALSO they could make a game where you can go through all 7 regions but to make it not op your pokemons levels reset whenever you go to a new region (excpetion being kanto to johto)

1 more longshot they could make a game basically the anime in the games kind of like pokemon ashgray

I just feel like in my opinion that they could remake the sinnoh region because i didn't feel the storyline in itself was that great

They also could make a third Red/Blue remake because firered/leafgreen is like very old

ALSO they could make a game where you can go through all 7 regions but to make it not op your pokemons levels reset whenever you go to a new region (excpetion being kanto to johto)

1 more longshot they could make a game basically the anime in the games kind of like pokemon ashgray
I agree, Sinnoh's story needs to be re told, as it was told very poorly the first time. A Red and Blue remake would leave me speechless. As much fan service this is, I doubt that they'd do this. A Pokemon game with all 7 regions can't possibly work. The only way a game could possibly do this, is by making DLCs for them. Sell each region for like 10 bucks on the eShop. With super hard, mostly level 80 trainers. My point is, this would NEVER WORK. And I thought going back to Kalos in this game would be pushing it...

I don't think a Sinnoh remake would happen this generation, as I could technically still play the original Diamond and Pearl on my 3DS while the original Ruby and Sapphire cannot be played on a 3DS. What I would like to see is a system, like Final Fantasy games for the PS1 where you switch discs to access different parts of the world. If there is a way to take out the game while the game is running and switch games to load the new region, that would be cool.

In my opinion, the game after S&M will be huge. We have such a giant boost in hardware capabilities that multiple regions could happen again. Let us remember that the original Gold and Silver had some hardware space left in production that they actually managed to compress Kanto's data and add it to the game. This was so long ago too. Imagine what they could do now. Now, I am not saying that we should return to an old region. Honestly all the regions that have been done don't need to be done again now. Just remaking the same region over and over again gets old very fast. ORAS as stated before had a reason since Hoenn had only been on GBA and can't be played on 3DS unlike Sinnoh.

But what I want is for the next game to have two regions with their own stories, maybe even conflict between these regions. It could even be like England versus Spain or something. You could even have each version of the game start you in the opposite region. Like, for example, if Gold started you in Johto and you went to Kanto afterwards and in Silver you started in Kanto and went to Johto after. I want something like that.

In my opinion, the game after S&M will be huge. We have such a giant boost in hardware capabilities that multiple regions could happen again. Let us remember that the original Gold and Silver had some hardware space left in production that they actually managed to compress Kanto's data and add it to the game. This was so long ago too. Imagine what they could do now. Now, I am not saying that we should return to an old region. Honestly all the regions that have been done don't need to be done again now. Just remaking the same region over and over again gets old very fast. ORAS as stated before had a reason since Hoenn had only been on GBA and can't be played on 3DS unlike Sinnoh.

But what I want is for the next game to have two regions with their own stories, maybe even conflict between these regions. It could even be like England versus Spain or something. You could even have each version of the game start you in the opposite region. Like, for example, if Gold started you in Johto and you went to Kanto afterwards and in Silver you started in Kanto and went to Johto after. I want something like that.
then it would be basically 2 different games... and i doubt they would do that
if they were to make a game with multiple generations, kanto johto and sinnoh go pretty hand in hand considering those 3 generations have a lot of evolutions that go into 2 different generations
you would start in sinnoh and you can fly to johto and then kanto

and then maybe they would make some sort of a anime + games remix where the main character is ash and they go into all the regions and it would be more like roleplay then an actual game

then it would be basically 2 different games... and i doubt they would do that
if they were to make a game with multiple generations, kanto johto and sinnoh go pretty hand in hand considering those 3 generations have a lot of evolutions that go into 2 different generations
you would start in sinnoh and you can fly to johto and then kanto

and then maybe they would make some sort of a anime + games remix where the main character is ash and they go into all the regions and it would be more like roleplay then an actual game

You need to understand the limits of the hardware though. It would also be extremely messy to do three regions in one. With two you have a balance between storyline and post game content, with three it'd just be chaotic and you wouldn't have much to do in the other regions. By the time you reached the third region, everything would have to be Level 80+ to be considered a challenge and that would be a problem itself to have such things in a region.

As for how Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh are connected... no they aren't. You could say Johto has connections to both, but all it shares with Sinnoh is a temple that's DLC and that they're both Gen 4. And you can't use evolution as a connection because then Kalos would be connected to Kanto, which it isn't at all.

And why wouldn't they do 2 different games in one connective generation? They technically already have before in small instances, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again at a larger scale. Having two regions at war with each other and each having their own version of the game would be something new and interesting because then you'd actually have a reason for Version Exclusives. Why is Growlithe in Heartgold, but not in Soulsilver? Version exclusives of course. But why are they exclusive? Never answered. With this, they'd have an answer to give us beyond "Buy the other version and replay the same exact story."

It'd be like Fire Emblem Fates but without what made that game bad.

You need to understand the limits of the hardware though. It would also be extremely messy to do three regions in one. With two you have a balance between storyline and post game content, with three it'd just be chaotic and you wouldn't have much to do in the other regions. By the time you reached the third region, everything would have to be Level 80+ to be considered a challenge and that would be a problem itself to have such things in a region.

As for how Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh are connected... no they aren't. You could say Johto has connections to both, but all it shares with Sinnoh is a temple that's DLC and that they're both Gen 4. And you can't use evolution as a connection because then Kalos would be connected to Kanto, which it isn't at all.

And why wouldn't they do 2 different games in one connective generation? They technically already have before in small instances, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again at a larger scale. Having two regions at war with each other and each having their own version of the game would be something new and interesting because then you'd actually have a reason for Version Exclusives. Why is Growlithe in Heartgold, but not in Soulsilver? Version exclusives of course. But why are they exclusive? Never answered. With this, they'd have an answer to give us beyond "Buy the other version and replay the same exact story."

It'd be like Fire Emblem Fates but without what made that game bad.

If there was a new handheld device that is able to still run while the game is removed, and swapped with another game, much like switching PS1 discs in final fantasy games, then 3 or more regions can be done. This may mean that your save data is saved in your handheld device, and not in the game cartridge. The cartridge would just load the game data.

If there was a new handheld device that is able to still run while the game is removed, and swapped with another game, much like switching PS1 discs in final fantasy games, then 3 or more regions can be done. This may mean that your save data is saved in your handheld device, and not in the game cartridge. The cartridge would just load the game data.

Yes, but you realize that means you're telling people to buy up to three games just to play one. At that point, why would you need to? It makes more sense at that point to just make three separate games. There's a reason that gimmick died out. To my knowledge, even Monster Rancher stopped doing that. It would be like if you bought XY and ORAS and did this gimmick to load your XY character into ORAS. Yes, you'd have your unique trainer look, but you'd also just be playing ORAS when you could have just traded your XY team into ORAS anyway.

Yes, but you realize that means you're telling people to buy up to three games just to play one. At that point, why would you need to? It makes more sense at that point to just make three separate games. There's a reason that gimmick died out. To my knowledge, even Monster Rancher stopped doing that. It would be like if you bought XY and ORAS and did this gimmick to load your XY character into ORAS. Yes, you'd have your unique trainer look, but you'd also just be playing ORAS when you could have just traded your XY team into ORAS anyway.

You aren't buying 3 games to play one. You are buying 3 games to play 3 games. It makes it so your character transitions into another region, rather than starting from scratch. In sports games, where you create a character and you try to get that one character to be a star, you can transfer your character from a previous year in to the next iteration of the game, and continue from there. It isn't any different from that. It also allows you to create a new character for the new region (starting over) rather than transferring your character from the old region (continuing). It also makes it so that each region isn't isolated, and the world is actually one big world where you get a game, start from one specific region, and as long as you have the other games, you can freely enter another region. For people who didn't buy the previous game, as I said, you can still start a new game in the new version.

I think in the madden series, you can import a player from the NCAA college football series, at least in the 2010 version of the games anyway. This would be no different from that. If I buy NCAA football 10 and Madden 10, and import my NCAA player into Madden, am I paying for 2 games just to play one game? No.

Back