Discussion What to Pair with Vileplume AOR?

Beautifly
Miltank
Giratina-EX
Big basics?
I think if any deck with Vileplume proves to be any good it will be either Giratina or big basics. Big basics has always based itself on how sustainable it is and Plume is good. It's a bit like running straight Toad, but straight Toad used the lock with their own items. You don't have that luxury so you have to play solid attackers.
LIKE THESE ONES
Toxicroak-EX. Locking people into poison is funny.
Yveltal-EX
Yveltal XY. Running Dark.
M Kangaskhan EX. I could see this being interesting while you sit on Croak poison.
Lucario-EX
Hawlucha
Aegislash-EX. Wow, that's evil.
Manectric-EX
Regigigas PFO
Trevenant-EX (hee hee this with Croak)
Dragon engine
Lugia-EX AOR
Wow, that went longer than expected. Enjoy Hay Fever.
Put in AOR ariados in there.

I think Giratina-EX will be an amazing partner here.

Item lock was already annoying before, so Vileplume will be a pain in the neck for the opponent. But now you got Giratina-EX with DCE and DDE, and hammers won't exactly do too much considering item lock prevents hammers. Plus in addition to item lock, your opponent can't use their DCE's or stadiums. Do you know how many decks these days use DCE? Quite a few.

Yeah, you'll lock yourself from items too. But ya know, with AZ and GPF, you can disable item lock, use your items, then lay down Vileplume right then and there.

Just my $0.02
I have played around with this deck using Japanese proxies I Photoshoped making them English and it is really good against decks that take +2 hits to knock out. The downfall of this deck is decks that can ohko the Girarina (Machamp EX Raichu Virizion/Genesect (i'm aware virgen is rotating) ETC.) since you can not power it up the turn after a ko breaking part of the lock and doesn't let you do any damage.

I have played around with this deck using Japanese proxies I Photoshoped making them English and it is really good against decks that take +2 hits to knock out. The downfall of this deck is decks that can ohko the Girarina (Machamp EX Raichu Virizion/Genesect (i'm aware virgen is rotating) ETC.) since you can not power it up the turn after a ko breaking part of the lock and doesn't let you do any damage.
How about agai st m ray?

I'm not sure I don't have that deck yet I'll make a proxy deck and test it but it is based around ohko but if you can trap a stadium in there they can't ohko so im not sure. Ill try it and get back to you.
Nice thanks! One more im concerned about is Aegislash-EX.

Florges EX could be an option. Also, just Sceptile EX without the Mega paired with Ariardos and Dragalge FLF could work. 130+poison for two energy and potential retreat lock with Dragalge sounds good to me.

I plan on testing Bannete from roaring skies (both of them) with Vileplume. Evolution lock and item lock is pure evil especially in a format that relies a lot on evolutions (M Ray, Brongzong, P groudon and kyogre, etc). As for expanded I want to try Rotom PLS.

I just can't see giratina being that good of a combo with vileplume, they put out an active wobb and 2 e hammer put them in a better position then you by far. And just due to vileplume's existence after august it's likely we'll see at least 1 hex maniac and 1 wobb in every deck to counter it.

I think the best combo is probably sceptile/vileplume/lugia, it sets up fast and hits fast, with and w/o special energy, decks that play cards like the above mentioned banette will probably have a hard time dealing with lugia just due to how fast the card is to play in general, and will probably be played in every deck just for that reason.

I think Wobuffet/Vileplume in its self would be great. You can put Wobuffet up front whenever you want to use items, and then remove from the active to an attacker when you're ready to end your turn. There is the obvious problem of a benched Wobuffet being Lysandred to Active and stopping the lock during your opponent's turn, but there /are/ numerous ways to get around that - AZ and Silent Lab (also stops annoying Shaymins) come to mind.

I think Primal Groudon could be a threatening match with Vileplume. P-Groudon is considered the least threatened by things like item lock, considering it can just sit there and build, and 0nce built, destroy. Wailord/P-Groudon/Dusknoir FF so use in a tournament once, and I think Vileplume would be a nice addition if it could work.
What about Manectric (PRC) Wobuffet and Vileplume? It's like donphan but in electric form

What about Manectric (PRC) Wobuffet and Vileplume? It's like donphan but in electric form
Donphan was good because it had that amazing fighting support of Strong Energy and Fightning Stadium. I do believe Manectric has neither.

I also forgot to mention, for extended, lilligant emerging powers, I played that combo a lot back in 2012 hgss-on

Everyone is pretending that they'll play Wobb. And that they'll start Wobb every game. This isn't how it works - you just can't splash Wobb into your deck and expect your Vileplume answers to be solved and your fears of Trainer lock to vanish. No sir.

We're all playing TheoryMon, so I'll tag along and guess Giratina. A big Basic with an incredible Ability and frightening attack is all you need. Someone had mentioned that the downfall of Vileplume is locking yourself out of Trainers...which is true. On the other hand, when you bust through your deck to T1 Plume, you can just play your Trainers prior to playing Vileplume down. That's not the issue. By partnering Vileplume with Giratina, there's no struggle involved in trying to set up more than one Pokémon - Vileplume is it. Chances are you'll be drawing the nuts with Sky Return so that you can manage to lock with Giratina up front and Vileplume on the Bench T1. Your opponent can't Enhanced Hammer your DCE away from your Giratina. Your opponent probably won't one-shot Giratina (without the Mega). But another consequence of Giratina is that heavy Energy cost. You're waiting three turns to attack. That is bad. I dunno if Ariados will see play with Plume, but if that's the case, you'll be relying on Poison damage for three turns before you can do anything. That's...yuck.

This set just needs to drop because it's super exciting and Expanded hype is real.

My concern with Vileplume is having it be stuck in the active. AZ certainly works, but without VS. Seeker you would have to run a high count for it to be reliable.

Everyone is pretending that they'll play Wobb. And that they'll start Wobb every game. This isn't how it works - you just can't splash Wobb into your deck and expect your Vileplume answers to be solved and your fears of Trainer lock to vanish. No sir.

We're all playing TheoryMon, so I'll tag along and guess Giratina. A big Basic with an incredible Ability and frightening attack is all you need. Someone had mentioned that the downfall of Vileplume is locking yourself out of Trainers...which is true. On the other hand, when you bust through your deck to T1 Plume, you can just play your Trainers prior to playing Vileplume down. That's not the issue. By partnering Vileplume with Giratina, there's no struggle involved in trying to set up more than one Pokémon - Vileplume is it. Chances are you'll be drawing the nuts with Sky Return so that you can manage to lock with Giratina up front and Vileplume on the Bench T1. Your opponent can't Enhanced Hammer your DCE away from your Giratina. Your opponent probably won't one-shot Giratina (without the Mega). But another consequence of Giratina is that heavy Energy cost. You're waiting three turns to attack. That is bad. I dunno if Ariados will see play with Plume, but if that's the case, you'll be relying on Poison damage for three turns before you can do anything. That's...yuck.

This set just needs to drop because it's super exciting and Expanded hype is real.

What this with Giratina EX taking three turns to set up? Either you run M Sceptile to power it up or run 8 special energies and cycle through with Unowns and Shaymin.

The biggest problem is still the speed, vilepume protects you from hammers, but the biggest problem by far is two supporters: Lysandre and Xerosic

If they get to use Xerosic multiple times they'll utterly destroy your energy resource, if they Lysandre your vileplume up you're going to have a lot of trouble getting that thing out of there unless you have one of the two or three AZs in you hand right there and then.

The Giratina train has been quite a ride, it's been going back and forth from mega-hype to "its a collectors items", I think the people who are overhyping it does tend to go a little overboard (me included), but to disregard the card altogether is straight up ignorant with how powerful locking so many things is, and having a safeguard like ability on top, even with Garbador in expanded, and Hex Maniac on the rise is still a huge thing.

Not too long of a wait, we'll see in not too long. I'll never forget the comments regarding "Seismitoad does way to little damage to be used competitively".

What this with Giratina EX taking three turns to set up? Either you run M Sceptile to power it up or run 8 special energies and cycle through with Unowns and Shaymin.

The biggest problem is still the speed, vilepume protects you from hammers, but the biggest problem by far is two supporters: Lysandre and Xerosic

If they get to use Xerosic multiple times they'll utterly destroy your energy resource, if they Lysandre your vileplume up you're going to have a lot of trouble getting that thing out of there unless you have one of the two or three AZs in you hand right there and then.

The Giratina train has been quite a ride, it's been going back and forth from mega-hype to "its a collectors items", I think the people who are overhyping it does tend to go a little overboard (me included), but to disregard the card altogether is straight up ignorant with how powerful locking so many things is, and having a safeguard like ability on top, even with Garbador in expanded, and Hex Maniac on the rise is still a huge thing.

Not too long of a wait, we'll see in not too long. I'll never forget the comments regarding "Seismitoad does way to little damage to be used competitively".
The difference between Giratina and Seismitoad is the energy cost. Any attack that can be used for a DCE that either does a lot of damage or locks the opponent in some way will be good. However, an attack that requires a minimum of 2 attachments if using special energy or 4 attachments if using non-special energy is going to have to be incredibly good, and I don't know if I can say that about Giratina.

The difference between Giratina and Seismitoad is the energy cost. Any attack that can be used for a DCE that either does a lot of damage or locks the opponent in some way will be good. However, an attack that requires a minimum of 2 attachments if using special energy or 4 attachments if using non-special energy is going to have to be incredibly good, and I don't know if I can say that about Giratina.

It is indeed, it's just not good enough to be it's very own deck.

Though putting it in a deck is something else, either in a deck that uses sunbath to attack two basic energies, or using M Sceptile to get it out fast is a nice way to put it out on the field without relying on it too much.

Its not good enough to be a primay focus, but its good enough to see play.

What do you guys think about Roserade DRX with Vileplume AOR in Expanded? It takes up space in a deck already running a stage 2 support Pokemon, but it can grab that clutch energy/supporter/Pokemon and can turn AZ into a universal search supporter.

Back