Discussion What to pair with Electrode - GX

MrFreezeMiser

10° Below
Howdy,

I love the idea of Electrode GX as the energy type in it's poke power is not specified. I Would enjoy input as to who you would pair with it in standard?

My first thought would be to pair it with both Mr. Mime - GX and Jolteon EX and Vaporeon EX and fluster your opponent as much as possible. May not be the best idea but you could easily power up both your attackers Jolteon and Vaporeon turn 2 (possibly turn 1), then halt any damage being taken.

Howdy,

I love the idea of Electrode GX as the energy type in it's poke power is not specified. I Would enjoy input as to who you would pair with it in standard?

My first thought would be to pair it with both Mr. Mime - GX and Jolteon EX and Vaporeon EX and fluster your opponent as much as possible. May not be the best idea but you could easily power up both your attackers Jolteon and Vaporeon turn 2 (possibly turn 1), then halt any damage being taken.

Hey @MrFreezeMiser!

The only thing that I can think of offhand would be Guzzlord GX. I personally think that the cost of Electrode GX's ability can be out-weighed by the raw power of its attacks. Not sure how much potential it has competitively, but Electrode GX/Guzzlord GX could be a fun deck to just mess around with. Again, I don't suggest it very competitively, but try it out if you get the chance! Let us know how you do if you decide to play it!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

Hey @MrFreezeMiser!

The only thing that I can think of offhand would be Guzzlord GX. I personally think that the cost of Electrode GX's ability can be out-weighed by the raw power of its attacks. Not sure how much potential it has competitively, but Electrode GX/Guzzlord GX could be a fun deck to just mess around with. Again, I don't suggest it very competitively, but try it out if you get the chance! Let us know how you do if you decide to play it!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12
Electrode GX only attaches energies to non-EX/GX pokemon

I feel like Electrode GX is going to find a place with Ultra Beasts, because you'll use Electrodes ability to get access to beast ring immediately and power up some non GX ultra beasts simultaneously. Just not sure which Ultra Beasts it might be best with considering Electrode isn't coming out for awhile.

I think Tyranitar FCO might be a decent partner for Electrode, as T-Tar can hit 250 damage for 5 Energy provided you discard 2 supporters off the top of your deck (think Mallow)

The answer is N. ;)

The Trainers and Energy pair well with Electrode-GX are as important as the Pokémon. I base this on how the Electrode-ex it was based on saw success. In addition to some of what has been said, you've got Counter Energy, Counter Catcher, Ninja Boy, and the fact that you can attack to something that Evolves into a Pokémon-GX to consider.

Yes, this is vague, but I've not got a lot of time at the moment.

Oh, and don't forget the possibility of Life Dew in Expanded!

Electrode GX only attaches energies to non-EX/GX pokemon

Whoops, my bad, I guess I didn't interpret the whole translation correctly (sorry about that)! Thanks for pointing that out @CrownAxe! Anyways, I guess the only way to get the Guzzlord GX idea to work is if you use Mew from FCO, but that would be counterproductive I suppose since all your opponent has to do is put up a Tapu Lele GX and Energy Drive for the knockout (or as @Otaku mentioned, you could use Ninja Boy). I'll have to look and see if I can find another alternative, though I guess Regigigas from CRI could work.

The answer is N. ;)

The Trainers and Energy pair well with Electrode-GX are as important as the Pokémon. I base this on how the Electrode-ex it was based on saw success. In addition to some of what has been said, you've got Counter Energy, Counter Catcher, Ninja Boy, and the fact that you can attack to something that Evolves into a Pokémon-GX to consider.

Yes, this is vague, but I've not got a lot of time at the moment.

Oh, and don't forget the possibility of Life Dew in Expanded!

Hmm, these ideas sound decent, if you can pull off two Electrode GX by turn two, you can the N your opponent down to a 2 card hand early game (which means that since we're at turn two, your opponent hasn't been able to set up draw support such as Zoroark GX or Octillery if you went first at the beginning of the game). Ninja Boy sounds interesting as well, but I'm not sure how often you'd be able to pull this off (it is another way to get Guzzlord GX up and running I suppose). Counter Energy and Counter Catcher are a plus as well. Now that I think about it, using Electrode GX plus a Counter Energy on a Shining Genesect could hit for a lot of damage (not to mention the addition of a Fighting Fury Belt or Choice band). Maybe that is something to think about, though I suspect it might be a little clunky. I'd be interested in hearing what evolution you have in mind @Otaku when it comes to taking advantage of Electrode GX!

@FrostBiter12

Wish I had something concrete for you, but with Electrode-GX so far away, even if I had a killer combo now (I do not) the metagame might be totally different. We'll only have N for a month after Electrode-GX releases, or did I mess up the release versus rotation schedule?

@FrostBiter12

Wish I had something concrete for you, but with Electrode-GX so far away, even if I had a killer combo now (I do not) the metagame might be totally different. We'll only have N for a month after Electrode-GX releases, or did I mess up the release versus rotation schedule?

No problem, I'm not sure what to do for it myself. It is definitely a concept to keep in mind though, so I'm interested in seeing what Electrode GX will bring to the table (if anything for that matter). I'm not sure about Electrode GX's legality vs N's rotation date either, but I'll have to check and see at some point.

I want to use Electrode when I get a Quad prize penalty so bad :p that is the ultimate Electrode-GX combo

Problem is, back when Electrode ex was good, we had crazy energy cards like scramble, boost, and double rainbow, which made losing two prizes immediately worth it.

Problem is, back when Electrode ex was good, we had crazy energy cards like scramble, boost, and double rainbow, which made losing two prizes immediately worth it.

We don't have Boost Energy anymore, but we have Double Colorless Energy. Boost Energy would discard itself at the end of the turn, so even though it provided [CCC]. Double Colorless Energy may be better.

We don't have Scramble Energy anymore, but we have Counter Energy. Scramble Energy was broken, so I don't mind that Counter Energy is a bit weaker. XP

We don't have Double Rainbow Energy anymore, but [F] decks have Strong Energy. Yes, it will only be Standard legal for about a month after Electrode-GX releases, but that's enough (and hey, not like Electrode-GX doesn't have options in Expanded).

Don't forget, while we lack Pow! Hand Extension, we have Counter Catcher. At least for a month, N can replace Rocket's Admin. We have Tapu Lele-GX, it had no equivalent back in the day.

In other words, we've plenty to work with, though I do acknowledge it may ultimately prove insufficient. Time will tell! :)

Possibly Buzzwole. You can dictate when you can use beast ring. You could also then power up a mew or sudowodoo as well.

Electrode-Gx definitely spells Counter Energy and Counter Energy rimes with N. And when you are behind on prizes, 2 attacks are very interesting: Glutton-Gx or Timeless-Gx. As people mentionned in order to make those work you would need either Mew FCO or Ninja Boy or even better, both.

One interesting thing to note about Timeless-Gx compared to Glutton-Gx. While Glutton-Gx is definitely a finisher move (since after the move you would most likely loose your Mew FCO on the next turn), Timeless-Gx can possibly be used as a move anytime during the game and can also nail you 4x prizes while being a bit less expensive since it has 2 colorless energy requirement for the attack.

Ideally in a metal or a Counter Box...

-Charge up either Dialga-Gx or Mew FCO with Electrode-Gx
-Use Timeless Gx and then it is still your turn...
-Use Ninja Boy on Dilaga-Gx or Mew to pull out a better attacker than Dialga-Gx for your second turn (DuskMane Necrozma-Gx, Jolteon-Gx, Glaceon-Gx, Ultra-Necrozma Gx)

I could pull this Timeless Gx move in my Ninja Box deck
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Dialga-GX UPR 100
* 1 Comfey GRI 93
* 1 Ralts BUS 91
* 1 Machamp-EX AOR 90
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Gallade BKT 84
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 18
* 1 Jolteon-EX GEN 28
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 110
* 1 Mew FCO 29
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Unown AOR 30
* 1 Glaceon-EX FCO 20

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Mallow GRI 127
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Scramble Switch PLS 129
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Korrina FFI 95
* 1 Fairy Garden FCO 100
* 3 Ninja Boy STS 103
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 1 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 N NVI 101
* 1 Sky Field ROS 89
* 2 Pokémon Communication BLW 99
* 1 Rare Candy SUM 129

##Energy - 11

* 2 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Prism Energy NXD 93
* 4 Double Colorless Energy XY 130
* 1 Counter Energy CIN 100

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******
with Mew FCO with no energy acceleration whatsoever. I used Timeless Gx and then on my second turn used Ninja Boy to trade Mew for another attacker less susceptible to be OHKO and make me loose all the energy attached to the Mew (I think it was Turtonator-Gx that time since i knew i could hit for at least 180hp and was playing against a Metal deck but not 100% sure).

Last edited:
The plan of getting two electrodes out by turn 2 is an interesting one. Don't forget though, these are energy you are pulling from the *discard*, not the deck, so that's going to make it hard to accelerate a bunch of energy at the beginning of the game. I guess you could use battle compressor (that hasn't been banned, right? I've been only playing standard for like a year).

i wonder about the possibility of making a control deck with this. use two electrode, n them down to 2 cards, and get a watchog in the active and keep discarding all of the cards that will help them set up. get down an alolan muk to stop lele and oranguru.

Something like this:

18 Pokemon

3x voltorb
3x electrode gx
3x watchog
3x lil watchog (name escapes me right now)
2x alolan grimer
2x alolan muk
2x tapu lele

4x N
4x Sycamore (use these turn one maybe)
4x ultra ball
4x mysterious treasure (lele and muk)
2x Brigette
2x team rocket handiwork
3x crushing hammer
1x enhanced hammer
4x counter catcher
4x battle compressor

12 Energy
4x counter energy
4x dce
4x rainbow

Though in this case you aren't even using electrode for it's energy acceleration, just its ability to give you a good N. there might be other ways to do that.

this deck sucks but i'm still posting it cuz I spent the time to type this up.

Or, maybe, try to create a donk deck. Use electrode early, attach a crapload of energy to a couple celesteela, n them down, and hope they only have one or two pokemon. then smash them with celesteela.

Battle Compressor is Expanded only. We do have cards like Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure to help setup while also (potentially) discarding Energy from your hand. If we don't sweat attaching just Special Energy cards, the new Shuckle lets you send three basic Energy from your deck to your discard pile via its Ability, when you play it from your hand to your Bench.

Personally, the only thing Eletrode-GX is good for is trading for other cards :p Giving up two prize for energy acceleration, which other cards can do without the prize cards, is a steep price.

Back