Discussion What sets are we thinking will get rotated after the season?

ztstephenson

Aspiring Trainer
We are getting closer to the world championship and the end of the season! What sets do you believe will undoubtedly get rotated out?

It will most likely rotate to BKT-on. This cuts Primal Clash, Roaring Skies, and Ancient Origins. I don't imagine that they will break up the break sets, even though that only rotates three sets. FCO on is a possibility, cutting the break sets and 5 sets total. I hope they do SM-on, but I highly doubt that will happen. 2018's rotation may very well go to SM-on though.

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION

OK maybe this is a bit early, but it's something smart investors and future deck builders should be aware of. Every year the Pokemon company rotates around 4 of the oldest sets currently in the Standard format to freshen up the metagame and allow new strategies to develop. However, there are two concerns within the Pokemon community.

The first and probably biggest concern that will soon be on everyone's mind: "OMG what cards are going to rotate?" Well I'm not going to try and predict some of the very controversial rotation possibilities like VS Seeker, but I will say that cards like VS Seeker and Shaymin EX could probably leave Standard. This isn't proven yet, however.

With that out of the way, lets simulate a possible rotation based on the knowledge we have so far. Lets assume everything Breakthrough and earlier gets rotated, and no specific reprints are made. A couple things will happen, mostly the game will most likely slow down. Whether this is Pokemon's "true intent" I won't discuss since it's still to0 controversial, but I will highlight a few cards I think will be quite good assuming the example rotation happens.

(Note, a lot of viable and strong Mega decks like Mega Mewtwo and Mega Rayquaza will die, as well as some other ones. This, regardless if some trainers get reprints, will happen.)

Lets start with the pretty obvious cards that will dominate the game:
- Tapu Lele GX: This mon no doubt will be the replacement for Shaymin, and there is no doubt it will define the game quite a bit.
- Ultra Ball: Please lets just skip this.
- Double Colorless Energy: I'll tell you now, this is the #1 most consistent card in the game (in the sense it has been and will be here for a LONG TIME)
- Switch: Like Double Colorless Energy, chances are it'll almost always be legal.
- GX decks of all sorts
- N
- Professor Sycamore
- Choice Band: Yeah, DMG!

Now that I've listed some pretty obvious ones, how about some less noticeable ones?
- Wally: It's not the best, but with Tapu Lele and Evolutions being a huge part of the meta, Wally will likely find a place to shine (It was reprinted in Generations btw)
- Rescue Stretcher: This could possibly be a Super Rod replacement, not too special though.
- Special Charge: Gotta bring back those DCE!
- Pokemon Center Lady: Sadly it never got much use in a fast OHKO meta...
- Crushing Hammer/Enhanced Hammer: Energy removal will likely stay a long time... and these are pretty balanced.
- Max Elixer: Not sure if it'll stay, but if it does it'll be important.
- Aqua Patch

Truth is, I can't list them all, and there will probably be more to come. Do you have thoughts on what might happen this next rotation? If you really want to, you can discuss whether or not specific cards will be reprinted I guess. I look forward to see what the future has in store for us. In conclusion, I only have one thing to say:

Time to buy ALL the SR DCE & Switch >:)

Last edited:
Past evidence of rotations make it highly likely that it will be breakthrough on. Last rotation was flare stuff,b4 that was bw2, before that was was the first 3 EX Era sets and the last of bw. So this rotation taking out the ancient trait and oras centered cards makes the most sense

I wouldn't really make sense, because that would cut the Pokemon BREAK era in half.
"Break era" is really unspecific. Both Breakpoint and Breakthrough would be gone in a 5 set rotation. Anyways, the "EX era" was already cut in half, and it was far more important/successful than Breaks.

BREAK era isn't really a thing since by this logic, Evolutions would be the end of the BREAK and EX era. The rotation needs to be something deeper than three sets to fix the problems the game is facing now. I personally think cards like Professor Sycamore and N need to leave the game to make room for new cards to be used as well as new strategies to be developed. The latest of these reprints being in Steam Siege, which is why I think it will be Evolutions-On.

I'm aware of the Sycamore and Trainers' Mail reprint so at this point, I have no idea. I think Evolutions-On would be better for the game's health so it doesn't keep EX Pokemon in the game for another two years and will allows us ALL to move on from the cancer that was BW/XY.

BREAK era isn't really a thing since by this logic, Evolutions would be the end of the BREAK and EX era. The rotation needs to be something deeper than three sets to fix the problems the game is facing now. I personally think cards like Professor Sycamore and N need to leave the game to make room for new cards to be used as well as new strategies to be developed. The latest of these reprints being in Steam Siege, which is why I think it will be Evolutions-On.

I'm aware of the Sycamore and Trainers' Mail reprint so at this point, I have no idea. I think Evolutions-On would be better for the game's health so it doesn't keep EX Pokemon in the game for another two years and will allows us ALL to move on from the cancer that was BW/XY.
Why not have it be SUM on?

Why not have it be SUM on?
Because that's way to many sets and has never been done. Kicking out shaymin should slow down the format exponentially despite the fact that N and sycamore will still be here. There giving us alternative strong draw options now which is more suited for evolution decks which is definitely the direction the formats going to which is a very good thing. And because the break Era was the beginning of this transition it makes sense to keep those for another year and then switch to sm on after we get more sets

Because that's way to many sets and has never been done. Kicking out shaymin should slow down the format exponentially despite the fact that N and sycamore will still be here. There giving us alternative strong draw options now which is more suited for evolution decks which is definitely the direction the formats going to which is a very good thing. And because the break Era was the beginning of this transition it makes sense to keep those for another year and then switch to sm on after we get more sets
This is exactly why I am against Evolutions on.

I think at this point going from SM on would be way to many sets being cut out, that would leave us with only 3 sets to work with until more of SM comes out. I expect it to be Breakthrough onward but who knows! If they really want to shake up the meta and have people start to adjust their play styles then maybe they will do that, but I don't see it happening. Personally, I am just happy to see Shaymin and a few other cards that have been played for way to long leave the format.

I expect it to be Breakthrough-on, losing the 3 ORAS sets will take away central cards and decks such as Shaymin, Hoopa, M Rayquaza, FOGP, Vileplume, Vespiquen, VS Seeker, and Sky Field just to name a few. As @AuraJackle said, this would rotate all the Ancient Traits and ORAS cards from Standard. If it would be SUM-on, that would be rotating out 9 sets, not including Double Crisis and all the XY Promos. I don't think TPCi hasn't rotated so many sets since HGSS-on, as BW's new turn rule and Sableye made the format unfun and heavily Luck based. This Pre-Worlds rotation rotated a total of 8 sets, not including subsets. However, the situation was different, as it was an "emergency rotation".

Have you seen the set symbols on those yet though? I am not sure they stick around after their latest sets rotate even with the new art and cards in the upcoming Battle Arena decks because I don't know what the symbols are. If they are like SM26, then we are for sure stuck with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they went XY209 though just so they rotate when XY does.

Have you seen the set symbols on those yet though? I am not sure they stick around after their latest sets rotate even with the new art and cards in the upcoming Battle Arena decks because I don't know what the symbols are. If they are like SM26, then we are for sure stuck with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they went XY209 though just so they rotate when XY does.

Yeah, I just saw the "A" on the sets. Makes me thing we will in fact get the best of XY set here is some kind of form now but they did say to save thecards from rotation so who knows.

We'll probably get those prints in promo boxes, I guarantee they'll cashgrab on a Shaymin-EX box before it leaves standard.

We are getting closer to the world championship and the end of the season! What sets do you believe will undoubtedly get rotated out?

Surprisingly, I couldn't find the last good post I did on this (plenty of posts by me on rotation, but not the "good" ones XP). So...

Standard Format Rotation Stats*

Rotations: 16
Minimum: 0
Maximum: 7
Mean: 4 (Rounded Up)
Median: 4
Mode: 4
Earliest: September 2 (2007)
Latest: September 3 (2014)
Most Common: September 1 (2001, 2003-2010, 2012, 2015, 2016)

Out of 16 rotations, only one was the minimum and (another) one the maximum. The remaining 14 were five three-set rotations, five four-set rotations, and four five-set rotations. If you examine the actual sets rotated, you'll notice that

1. 75% of the time we've rotated on September 1st. So we most likely have nearly four months left of this format. Ya know, a third of a year. ;)
  2. We have one new nearly officially released, likely to shake-up the metagame, and one who set unreleased before this point.
  3. Unless we use some dubious definitions, we have never rotated to the final expansion of a generation.
  4. We don't seem to always have a "theme" or clean break for rotation.
    • Sometimes it just wasn't obvious: the rotation to BW: Boundaries Crossed-On because that was the start of Ace Specs.
    • It can leave orphan cards that are useless in competitive play; not just bad, but perpetually dead in hand.
So it actually is still early to discuss this earnestly. For funsies, and I see no harm. :)

*Stats culled mostly from a certain reference website. Finding official announcements so many years later is difficult.

I don´t think they will split up the BREAK sets, so Breakthrough on is most likely. And there is no way they are doing Sun and Moon on- it would be a disaster with barely 3 sets in the format!

Back