XY What new Types would you like to see in X and Y?

I wouldn't want to throw in a new type just because. A reason would be nice! Like with many posts before me, I'd prefer new type combinations since there are so many more to be used. I really want to see Psychic/Dark, Fire/Water and other types mixed with their opposite types along with other weird and random type.

Has anyone mentioned Plastic or Rubber or Glass or Void or Aether (well it sounds better than light or cosmic). Glass would be a weird one. I'd like to know why GF decided to make the ??? type for Curse then turned it into a Ghost type move later. Was it a place holder for another type or did they not know what type to make it at first?

Oh yeah I'd love to see more "good" ghost types myself. The only one I can think of that looks benevolent is Shedinja and even that thing is creepy as heck.

Zapydos2 said:
I wouldn't want to throw in a new type just because. A reason would be nice! Like with many posts before me, I'd prefer new type combinations since there are so many more to be used. I really want to see Psychic/Dark, Fire/Water and other types mixed with their opposite types along with other weird and random type.

Has anyone mentioned Plastic or Rubber or Glass or Void or Aether (well it sounds better than light or cosmic). Glass would be a weird one. I'd like to know why GF decided to make the ??? type for Curse then turned it into a Ghost type move later. Was it a place holder for another type or did they not know what type to make it at first?

Oh yeah I'd love to see more "good" ghost types myself. The only one I can think of that looks benevolent is Shedinja and even that thing is creepy as heck.

I do believe Curse is still ???, because why would they change it? It does different effects depending on the user's type.

Haunted Water said:
Zapydos2 said:

I do believe Curse is still ???, because why would they change it? It does different effects depending on the user's type.

No, they changed it to Ghost in Gen 5. It still does the same thing.

I think the types we have are just so well rounded thematically (even if they could use some rebalancing, gameplay wise) that any new types would have to be really special and really gimmicky.

I wouldn't mind a "typeless" type, as I already mentioned, with no strengths or weaknesses at all. Maybe it would even cancel out strengths and weaknesses when paired with any other type, so you could have like Null/Water, and it gets Water stab, but that's basically it...none of water's other properties.

Or a creepy "mutant" type of weird biological freaks whose strengths and weaknesses are randomized (one of each, determined by IV's or something)

Bogleech said:
I think the types we have are just so well rounded thematically (even if they could use some rebalancing, gameplay wise) that any new types would have to be really special and really gimmicky.

I wouldn't mind a "typeless" type, as I already mentioned, with no strengths or weaknesses at all. Maybe it would even cancel out strengths and weaknesses when paired with any other type, so you could have like Null/Water, and it gets Water stab, but that's basically it...none of water's other properties.

Or a creepy "mutant" type of weird biological freaks whose strengths and weaknesses are randomized (one of each, determined by IV's or something)

Normal is the default type.

If something has no elemental association, it's Normal.
If something has a bit of elemental association, but not enough to justify a full primary Type, it's Normal/Type2.

That's also the reason there aren't any Type1/Normal pokemon. As it doesn't make sense for it to also have no elemental association when it is already a fully fledged other primary type. Can't be a bit not-anything as extra lol

I'd like to see Electric and Ice paired with more things, like:
Dark/Electric
Electric/Poison
Electric/Psychic
Ice/Fighting
Rock/Ice
Ice/Steel

As well as:
Rock/Poison
Water/Fire
Grass/Dragon
Fighting/Flying
Rock/Ghost
Dragon/Fighting

Mitja said:
That's also the reason there aren't any Type1/Normal pokemon. As it doesn't make sense for it to also have no elemental association when it is already a fully fledged other primary type. Can't be a bit not-anything as extra lol

I've always believed that is the reason why the Rampardos line isn't Rock/Normal... It's the only fossil pokémon that doesn't have any other attribute other than being a fossil pokémon... If Rampardos wasn't a fossil pokémon, it would be a Normal-type...

They could always pull a Bibarrel and make a pokemon that is Normal type evolve to be another type in addition.

In keeping with the Normal/--- talk, I've been thinking they should add some sort of pseudo-Arceus in that it's Normal usually, but then you attach an item and it becomes Normal/Grass, Normal/Water, Normal/Fire, etc. It could just be a new Castform/Kecleon gimmick but it'd still get all of the Normal type combinations out of the way without having to somehow justify an actual Steel/Normal or a Ghost/Normal.

Metalizard said:
Mitja said:

I've always believed that is the reason why the Rampardos line isn't Rock/Normal... It's the only fossil pokémon that doesn't have any other attribute other than being a fossil pokémon... If Rampardos wasn't a fossil pokémon, it would be a Normal-type...

SInce it has a rock-hard head, I doubt it would be anything other than rock no matter what.

Keeper of Night said:
Metalizard said:

SInce it has a rock-hard head, I doubt it would be anythign other than rock no matter what.

Yeah, most fossils (apart from Archen?) don't seem to be Rock for the hell of it, but actually do have that incorporated in the design/concept.

I always thought all fossil pokemon look identical and are identical to their prehistoric originals, in type and everything.
Like... Kabutops wouldn't be missing its armor, nor Carracosta its rock-hard shell, right? lol
Which is what makes me believe fossilisation nor the resurrection affect them as pokemon... they probably were preserved that well because they were Rock all along.

The thing is, while that works for the pair fossils of gen 1, none of the others really feel like they would have been real rock-types in their natural state. Why would Aerodactyl (a pterosaur) be Rock/flying naturally? Why would the anomalocaris be a natural rock-type? It's a bug and lives on water... Armaldo could have been Rock-Water like Kabutops but Kabutops could have been Rock-Bug too... But if Armaldo wasn't a fossil pokémon, it would be Bug/Water... Aerodactyl would be Normal/Flying or even Dragon/Flying... Cradily would be Grass/Water... Carracosta has a rock shell because it came from a fossil. Blastoise, Torkoal, Torterra are also turtles, yet they don't have rock shells. Carracosta would be a pure Water if it wasn't a fossil pokémon... I mean, look at Cloyster: It is a bivalve, has a freakin' hard shell (180 base Def.), yet, it's not Rock-type... and so on... I don't believe the fossil pokémon would be rock-types if they were not fossil pokémon... Archeops (based on the archeopteryx) doesn't show any sign of having a rock body. It is part rock purely because it is a fossil pokémon. Why would the archeopteryx be made of rock? It would be Normal/flying too (hell, it is the first bird pokémon...).
It probably sounds weird to say Aerodactyl or Cranidos (btw, Cranidos having a rock-hard head doesn't mean it would necessarily be a Rock-type, look at Bagon) would be Normal-types, but reptiles can also be Normal-type, the Normal-type is not just for mammals and birds. There's Kecleon and Dunsparce to prove that (sure, they gimmicky or based on non-existing creatures as is the case of Dunsparce, but they can still be called reptiles)...

Armaldo lived on land, only Anorith lived in the water, so I don't see why Armaldo would be water type at all.
Bagon is a baby dragon thing, the only reason it has it's hard head is because it would be too plain without it. Plus they can make dragons however they want, since there is no real animal to base it off of.
Cranidos is a dinosaur, something that actually existed, and it uses it's 'rock hard head' too often to not be rock type.

Metalizard said:
The thing is, while that works for the pair fossils of gen 1, none of the others really feel like they would have been real rock-types in their natural state. Why would Aerodactyl (a pterosaur) be Rock/flying naturally? Why would the anomalocaris be a natural rock-type? It's a bug and lives on water... Armaldo could have been Rock-Water like Kabutops but Kabutops could have been Rock-Bug too... But if Armaldo wasn't a fossil pokémon, it would be Bug/Water... Aerodactyl would be Normal/Flying or even Dragon/Flying... Cradily would be Grass/Water... Carracosta has a rock shell because it came from a fossil. Blastoise, Torkoal, Torterra are also turtles, yet they don't have rock shells. Carracosta would be a pure Water if it wasn't a fossil pokémon... I mean, look at Cloyster: It is a bivalve, has a freakin' hard shell (180 base Def.), yet, it's not Rock-type... and so on... I don't believe the fossil pokémon would be rock-types if they were not fossil pokémon... Archeops (based on the archeopteryx) doesn't show any sign of having a rock body. It is part rock purely because it is a fossil pokémon. Why would the archeopteryx be made of rock? It would be Normal/flying too (hell, it is the first bird pokémon...).
It probably sounds weird to say Aerodactyl or Cranidos (btw, Cranidos having a rock-hard head doesn't mean it would necessarily be a Rock-type, look at Bagon) would be Normal-types, but reptiles can also be Normal-type, the Normal-type is not just for mammals and birds. There's Kecleon and Dunsparce to prove that (sure, they gimmicky or based on non-existing creatures as is the case of Dunsparce, but they can still be called reptiles)...

That's why Fossil-type would be better than Light and Sound. :p

And Fossil type would apply to only a few pokemon and basically have the same advantages and disadvantages of a Rock type?

I think all of the fossil pokemon were at some point rock types, whether it is because of their armor or head or shell or whatever.

Flygon2071 said:
Maybe something like Ancient or Fossil. Golurk and the Regis would be ancient type.

Weakness:

Dragon
Dark

Resistances:

Steel
Rock
Ground
Normal

Immunities

None

It is super-effective against:
Rock
Steel

It is not very effective against:
Electric
Water
Flying

Maybe the dragon weakness might be taken even though the type might not be very competitive.

Keeper of Night said:
Armaldo lived on land, only Anorith lived in the water, so I don't see why Armaldo would be water type at all. - The anomalocaris (the basis for the Armaldo line) lived in the sea. End of discussion.
Bagon is a baby dragon thing, the only reason it has it's hard head is because it would be too plain without it. Plus they can make dragons however they want, since there is no real animal to base it off of.- WTF? Bagon has a hard head because it would be too plain without it? Do you think what you said actually makes sense? You know, Bagon has a rock-hard head (it even has the Rock Head ability) because it is part of its concept. It dreams about being able to fly one day, so it jumps off cliffs trying to fly (in vain), and also headbutts boulders in frustration. If it didn't have a hard head it would break its skull and neck and die right after the first try to fly or headbutt. As a Salamence, it doesn't have the rock head anymore since now it can fly.
Cranidos is a dinosaur, something that actually existed, and it uses it's 'rock hard head' too often to not be rock type. - So, just because Bagon is based on a mythical creature and cranidos is based on a creature that actually existed, they can't be compared (specially when the mythical creature and the actual creature are so similar)? They're part of the same fictional universe, they sure can be compared... And yes, refering to what you said above, they can make dragons however they want (even though that has nothing to do with the subject here, but since you mentioned it...), to the point they even make dragon-types based on dinosaurs...

In summary... facepalm...

EDIT: btw, even though Bagon is a baby dragon, the rock hard head part of its concept comes from the pachycephalosaurus, the same dinosaur Cranidos is based on... And that's my point, if Cranidos wasn't a fossil pokémon, it would be a Normal-type (or maybe even Dragon-type - again, look at Haxorus) dinosaur, with the ability Rock Head, because of its rock-hard head (its hard skull, you know, made of bones - which is the case for the actual dinosaur) not because it actually had a rock head...

Back