XY What new smaller details would you like to see? Things! Environment! Random events! Etc.

RE: Your hopes for 6th generation?

Yeah, Ice definitely needs a boost like it hasn't had in...well, ever. It's one of my favorite types, and it at least has three good high-level Gyms and an Elite Four member on its side, but it could use a lot more interesting species and type combinations, and possibly even a tweaking of the type chart.

Updated cries for the Pokemon that came out in the 8-bit era, and possibly even remastering for those from Gen 3. Please. Having Pikachu still sound like KEEAARKAZKAKA is embarrassing. The Stadium cries were great; why not those?

I like the old cries. I feel like they are the voice of the generation and show how progress has enhanced the the quality of the games, at least sound wise. Also, older sounds mixed with new sounds help make the Pokemon diverse.

I would like to see the weather improved. I LOVE weather effects in games so much. I love how in Animal Crossing the weather may change several times day in different ways depending on the season. I don't like how some areas always have snow while others don't. It would be nice if it could snow anywhere, for example, but the snow may or may not stick. Or perhaps snow could stick later in the winter season. More leaves could appear during late autumn with trees turning different colors throughout the season. There could be FLOWERING trees during spring! I love flowering trees! Cherry blossoms would be great. The summer could have different flower varieties and maybe even droughts in some areas.

As for day/night systems... I think those can be improved as well. MORE day exclusive and MORE night exclusive Pokemon would be awesome. I love how Gold/Silver had this set up and would really like to see this expanded. Maybe there could be dark Pokemon who are nocturnal or something. In Gen V, I would have liked to see Purrloin a night time only Pokemon. I would have liked to only have been able to catch Solrock during the day and Lunatone during the night. These difference make catching Pokemon exciting!

Finally, I would also like a move efficient bag system. I like what BW2 did with being able to choose the order of items. I don't like that you can't store items in the PC anymore. I loved to store masterballs in the PC, so I would not use them accidentally.

Similar to what was said above, I think that music should change with the time of day, at least in the bigger main cities, like in real life. For example, the day music should be a lot more adventurous, and "pop-y," similar to the current style and the night should be a lot more house-like or club-like, such as this /watch?v=QF39Xu5akFc or this /watch?v=TYaLOurqIv0. I also want more subtle version differences, like the menus in B2W2 (black in black2 and white in white2). It was a small change, but I really liked it and it added that nice parallel in the games. Also, night and day should have different types of trainers, just to spice it up.

CyberCat5555 said:
Similar to what was said above, I think that music should change with the time of day, at least in the bigger main cities, like in real life.

They already do that in DPPt. I typically didn't like the Night themes as much in those games.

Bolt the Cat said:
CyberCat5555 said:
Similar to what was said above, I think that music should change with the time of day, at least in the bigger main cities, like in real life.

They already do that in DPPt. I typically didn't like the Night themes as much in those games.
They do? I never really noticed. What I mean is a whole new song for day and night, not just in a different tempo, different chords, speed, a remix, etc. I want the night and day music to really capture the essence of that time and sound different.

CyberCat5555 said:
They do? I never really noticed. What I mean is a whole new song for day and night, not just in a different tempo, different chords, speed, a remix, etc. I want the night and day music to really capture the essence of that time and sound different.

You mean like in Sonic Unleashed? Maybe, but still, I typically tend not to like Night themes as much because they're too quiet and laid back, they don't sound particularly inspiring for an adventure.

Bolt the Cat said:
CyberCat5555 said:

You mean like in Sonic Unleashed? Maybe, but still, I typically tend not to like Night themes as much because they're too quiet and laid back, they don't sound particularly inspiring for an adventure.
Yeah, similar to that. Like those links I posted, I also want the night to sound quite different from the day, but not all calm, laid-back, and lullaby-like as they are in DPPt. Like I said, I want them to reflect the nightlife, especially in France, with the house-like atmosphere, if you don't know what I mean, listen to my songs from before. They sound like something is going to happen and feel very inspiring and adventurous.

CyberCat5555 said:
Yeah, similar to that. Like those links I posted, I also want the night to sound quite different from the day, but not all calm, laid-back, and lullaby-like as they are in DPPt. Like I said, I want them to reflect the nightlife, especially in France, with the house-like atmosphere, if you don't know what I mean, listen to my songs from before. They sound like something is going to happen and feel very inspiring and adventurous.

Yeah, those are pretty good. Jazz tunes would also be appropriate for night themes.

• Actual surf/fly with the pokemon you're using.

• Day/Night

• More side quests

• Customize Trainer

• Better pokemon cries

• Maybe have online pokemon storage( is that even possible, not sure :L)

• The option to use repel immediately like in B&W2

• I like that Idea of random pokemon running around, be more realistic.

• Easier EV training. :)

I'd like to see a bonus map of the new region shipped together with the retail version of the games. There were maps added as bonus to other RPGs previously and IMO that would be a nice (and useful) gimmick for a Pokemon game, too.

Furthermore:
  • the comeback of Safari Zone
  • a day care that is accessible within the first hours of gameplay (post-game day care in BW2 was just ridiculous, as is fishing BTW)
  • being able to grow Berries inside the new games (DW totally sucked in this regard IMO, however I'd also be fine with an inexpensive 3DS App à la Dream Radar which is released together with XY and where you can grow berries in/on a garden/park/farm and sent them to your maingame afterwards)
  • a way of individualizing your Pokemon beyond nicknames
    Seals on Ball Capsules were worth trying out, but I'm thinking of both or either variations of a species (like spiky-eared Pichu, the differences between male and female genders in some species or the regional appearances of Shellos/Gastrodon) and accessories to attach to your Pokemon.
    Both should be visible in-battle and on your Pokemon's status screen, though I think this is virtually impossible ATM concerning how many sprites/3D models would be required.
    I think I'd prefer individualized Pokemon even to the much desired character customization, however the main thing is that there should be some additional features to personalize your gameplay.
  • maintaining the reusability of TMs
  • Phenomena like Rustling grass - were IMO a good idea, so I'd like to see them again in Gen6 in order to add some rare/evolved Pokemon to the routes (alternatively a different game mechanic that enables these additional Pokemon)
  • expanding the concept of Hidden Grottos by the possibility to discover unhatched eggs that where left behind, so you would take charge of them. You won't know what Pokemon will hatch from such an egg and some of the hatched Pokemon will have their DW ability and/or egg moves.
  • maybe an elaboration on / merging of the ability and HM system
    I can see something like six additional slots for abilities (in the sense of skills) alongside the four moves a Pokemon can learn:
    The first one would be the default ability of the Pokemon (either its First, Second or Hidden ability),
    the second one is a temporary in-battle ability that can be enabled by a held item (like Air Ballon, which is so to say a limited version of Levitate or Rocky Helmet which is similar to Rough Skin/Iron Barbs).
    The other four would be reserved for the current field moves.

These field moves could be enabled through a Pokemon's species itself (like Lapras would have Surf as default field move (but not in-battle move), Ampharos and Lanturn would have Flash as default field move and so on), however as before the knowledege of the respective in-battle move Surf/Flash/... would also add the corresponding field move to the Pokemons skill's list. Additionally there could be various in-battle moves that enable a field move, like Flash (the field move) would not just be enabled by Flash (the in-battle move), but also by Flash Canon, Tail Glow, Signal Beam, Light Screen and others, Cut would be enabled by Cut and Leaf Blade, Razor Shell, Psycho Cut, Razor Wind, X-Scissor, all Claw moves and so on.

That way you won't have to use HM slaves in your party or run back to a Pokemon Center whenever a tree, a boulder or a dark cave blocks your way.
  • a big exclusive post-game area (e.g. an archipelago where you can actually surf between the - therefore closely spaced - islands, unlike Sevii) with its own storyline (most important!), maybe with four strong trainers you have to battle, additional Gym Leaders so to say, who use four of the five types that are not used by the eight regional Gym Leaders + E4 (or just the four remaining types, if the Champion also prefers a certain type in his/her team).
    Additionally two or three post-game legendaries with respective large dungeons and hopefully an own epic background, and an overall higher difficulty in post-game (the leap between E4/N/Ghetsis in BW and random post-game trainers in East Unova was badass but also challenging, I really enjoyed it).

That would be nice. A Rocky Beach or Tide lands. When it's high tide (around noon) you can only surf and get to certain areas. It would be like it is now. When it's low tide..(at night) you have access to the Rocks....including some that are breakable. Maybe even a cave or two with more rare Pokemon. Also, when it's high tide have Pokemon like Mantine or whatever water types there are and when it's low have ones like Stunfisk.

Fennex said:
post-game day care in BW2 was just ridiculous, as is fishing BTW

Fishing was post game in 5th gen for good reason. Rippling water effectively doubles the amount of Pokemon catchable in any given body of water, so there'd be a ton of slots to fill if we had Surfing, Fishing, and Rippling Water for both. You couldn't make that work in the main game unless one of the following is true:

1. You literally have dozens of Water type families in the regional dex, which would lead to balancing issues (for example: a regional dex with 20 Water type families, 1 Dragon type, 1 Ice type, etc.).
2. Nearly every Water type Pokemon in the game appears in nearly every area with a body of water.
3. Many areas in the game would have extremely limited Pokemon available.

Fennex said:
however I'd also be fine with an inexpensive 3DS App à la Dream Radar which is released together with XY and where you can grow berries in/on a garden/park/farm and sent them to your maingame afterwards

How is this any better than the DW? Berry planting should be in game again so that I have a reliable source of berries in game. Also, that would be horrible if they made it a paid app, because that's a feature that I shouldn't have to pay extra money for to access in the game. It's extortion on the same level as those games that make you pay X amount of money IRL to buy a new weapon for your game.

Fennex said:
accessories to attach to your Pokemon.

You know what would be awesome? If they gave accessories in battle effects. For instance, if they had some type of armor accessory that increases your Pokemon's Defense.

Fennex said:
Phenomena like Rustling grass - were IMO a good idea, so I'd like to see them again in Gen6 in order to add some rare/evolved Pokemon to the routes (alternatively a different game mechanic that enables these additional Pokemon)

I'm not so sure about Rustling Grass in particular. Double Grass certainly is, it allows for a lot more flexibility in distribution and regional design. But adding a completely new encounter method all for the purpose of having rare and evolved Pokemon seems rather pointless, especially when many of the Pokemon encountered in that way are ones that probably shouldn't even be catchable to begin with.

Fennex said:
expanding the concept of Hidden Grottos by the possibility to discover unhatched eggs that where left behind, so you would take charge of them. You won't know what Pokemon will hatch from such an egg and some of the hatched Pokemon will have their DW ability and/or egg moves.

I'm not sure this is a good idea in terms of the morality behind it, your basically kidnapping another Pokemon's baby by doing this. From a game mechanic standpoint, it is an interesting idea, though. Maybe they can bring this back as an enhancement to the Odd Egg from Crystal.

Fennex said:
The first one would be the default ability of the Pokemon (either its First, Second or Hidden ability)

Why does a game mechanic as immutable as abilities need to waste a move slot?

Fennex said:
Additionally there could be various in-battle moves that enable a field move, like Flash (the field move) would not just be enabled by Flash (the in-battle move), but also by Flash Canon, Tail Glow, Signal Beam, Light Screen and others, Cut would be enabled by Cut and Leaf Blade, Razor Shell, Psycho Cut, Razor Wind, X-Scissor, all Claw moves and so on.

That probably won't work for every HM, though. What about stuff like Surf, Dive, and Waterfall? I can't think of any other moves that would have those same overworld effects.

Bolt the Cat said:
Fennex said:
expanding the concept of Hidden Grottos by the possibility to discover unhatched eggs that where left behind, so you would take charge of them. You won't know what Pokemon will hatch from such an egg and some of the hatched Pokemon will have their DW ability and/or egg moves.

I'm not sure this is a good idea in terms of the morality behind it, your basically kidnapping another Pokemon's baby by doing this. From a game mechanic standpoint, it is an interesting idea, though. Maybe they can bring this back as an enhancement to the Odd Egg from Crystal.

Yep, I thoght about these moral issues, too, that's why I speak of "unhatched eggs that where left behind". I totally agree that the act of picking up an egg from a Hidden Grotto should in no way create the impression that the protagonist actually robs the parents of its child, but rather cares for an egg that was left behind.

Alternatively one could place a Pokemon Ranger in the Grotto who tells you something along the lines of "I found this egg in an abandoned nest. There's nobody taking care of it anymore. It seems that a Pokemon will hatch from it only when you keep it in your party of Pokemon. Can you please take care of it?"

I think the game mechanic of eggs underachieves currently, and integrating one or two NPCs who hand over an egg to you during the storyline doesn't really help along.

Bolt the Cat said:
Fennex said:
however I'd also be fine with an inexpensive 3DS App à la Dream Radar which is released together with XY and where you can grow berries in/on a garden/park/farm and sent them to your maingame afterwards

How is this any better than the DW? Berry planting should be in game again so that I have a reliable source of berries in game. Also, that would be horrible if they made it a paid app, because that's a feature that I shouldn't have to pay extra money for to access in the game. It's extortion on the same level as those games that make you pay X amount of money IRL to buy a new weapon for your game.

Well, as I said in the first instance I hope that growing berries is an in-game feature just like in the third and fourth Gen. Nevertheless releasing an 3DS App that enables access to contents that are not in the maingame might be too lucrative for GF and Nintendo to be ignored completely. I agree that there is a risk of making players feel extorted by such an App, but if it is as inexpensive as Dream Radar (which is 2,99 € over here), adds some stuff beyond Berries (items, that are only obtainable once in the game or maybe even Pokemon (with DW abilities?) that aren't catchable in the new region) and uses 3D graphics, it would be good value.

In addition, a 3DS App IMO would have many advantages over DW:
1) You could play it on the same console as the maingame
2) You won't need to upload a Pokemon whenever you want to have access to your Berries or when you want to send them to your game (in general you don't need a WiFi connection at all)
3) There would be no restriction on how often you can use the App or how often you can send content to your maingame within 24 hrs

Bolt the Cat said:
Fennex said:
Additionally there could be various in-battle moves that enable a field move, like Flash (the field move) would not just be enabled by Flash (the in-battle move), but also by Flash Canon, Tail Glow, Signal Beam, Light Screen and others, Cut would be enabled by Cut and Leaf Blade, Razor Shell, Psycho Cut, Razor Wind, X-Scissor, all Claw moves and so on.

That probably won't work for every HM, though. What about stuff like Surf, Dive, and Waterfall? I can't think of any other moves that would have those same overworld effects.

That's true, the idea of a new skill system combining abilities and field moves is rather off the top of my head, and thus poorly conceived. The main idea behind is to avoid using move slots for field moves you actually don't need in battle as well as to avoid replacing members of your party by HM slaves. You're right, there are much more moves that could enable the field moves Cut, Flash or Rock Smash in contrast to Surf, Dive and Waterfall (also Fly, I guess).

Interestingly I have never thought of Surf and Waterfall as wasted moves, because they are actually useful in-battle in contrast to other HMs/field moves, which are rather useless or would usually be replaced by better options, but that doesn't matter for an elaborated skill system.

As I can't think of any other moves that could enable the HMs you mentioned, I think it could be handled with a species' default field moves, the other option I suggested in my prior post. That way many fully evolved Water Pokemon might have default Surfing skill (Lapras, Mantine, Wailord, Walrein, Dewgong, Azumarill, fully evolved starters etc.), Dive skill (everything that can learn Dive by leveling up) or Waterfall skill (Seaking, as it's the only one that learns Dive by leveling up, plus things like Poliwrath, Gyarados, Carracosta, so to say rather sturdy Water Pokemon) and eventually you can still teach your Pokemon Surf/Waterfall/whatever in case of necessity.

Bolt the Cat said:
Fennex said:
post-game day care in BW2 was just ridiculous, as is fishing BTW

Fishing was post game in 5th gen for good reason. Rippling water effectively doubles the amount of Pokemon catchable in any given body of water, so there'd be a ton of slots to fill if we had Surfing, Fishing, and Rippling Water for both. You couldn't make that work in the main game unless one of the following is true:

1. You literally have dozens of Water type families in the regional dex, which would lead to balancing issues (for example: a regional dex with 20 Water type families, 1 Dragon type, 1 Ice type, etc.).
2. Nearly every Water type Pokemon in the game appears in nearly every area with a body of water.
3. Many areas in the game would have extremely limited Pokemon available.

I can think of two different variants that might handle these problems:

1) One Super Rod as in Gen5, but make it accessible before post-game
There would be the same four possibilities to encounter a Pokemon on the water as in Gen5 (Surfing, Fishing, Rippling Water for both), so no even more excessive amount of slots to fill. Depending on the time you receive the Rod, there should be a limitation of the Pokemon you can fish on the first routes, so you won't be able to fish fully evolved, high-level Pokemon too early. Those would be reserved for the water routes in late-game/post-game.
2) Two Rods, one accesible during the main storyline and one exclusive for post-game
Old Rod was redundant anyway, because pretty much everything you could fish was Magikarp and Tentacool. So I think you should receive something like Good Rod rather early in the game to get access to Pokemon living in the water before receiving Surf. The Pokemon you encounter when fishing in Rippling Water shouldn't be fully evolved ones yet, but rather the ones you can fish in normal water (but having there DW ability), as well as rarer but also weaker ones, that can't be found in normal water. Super Rod afterwards gives you access to the fully evolved, high-level Pokemon and to some post-game exclusive ones, too.
On your doubts concerning an unbalanced regional dex because of too many Water types:

There was always a large amount of Water Pokemon in every regional dex, Hoenn's regional dex actually brought it to the boil with nearly every fourth Pokemon being Water type (46 out of 202), however I see where you are coming from, a well-balanced regional index is something I anticipate, too.

Concerning the distribution of Water Pokemon within the new region, another possibility I can think of is to reserve the slots of Pokemon you encounter via Surfing for the ones that are actually located on the surface of the water (like Psyduck, Marill, Lotad etc.) and in the air above the body of water (Wingull, Ducklett, Masquerain etc.), while the ones you can encounter via Fishing would be Pokemon under the surface of the water (primarily every fish) or at the bottom of the water (Shellder, Corsola, Barboach etc.).
Furthermore there can be something like a blueprint of the distribution of a) Pokemon in rivers/lakes and b) of coastline/ocean Pokemon with only smaller differences between the particular water bodys (like Levels and exclusive rather rare Pokemon) or an East Coast/West Coast (or other regional) split like in Sinnoh.

Fennex said:
1) One Super Rod as in Gen5, but make it accessible before post-game
There would be the same four possibilities to encounter a Pokemon on the water as in Gen5 (Surfing, Fishing, Rippling Water for both), so no even more excessive amount of slots to fill. Depending on the time you receive the Rod, there should be a limitation of the Pokemon you can fish on the first routes, so you won't be able to fish fully evolved, high-level Pokemon too early. Those would be reserved for the water routes in late-game/post-game.
2) Two Rods, one accesible during the main storyline and one exclusive for post-game
Old Rod was redundant anyway, because pretty much everything you could fish was Magikarp and Tentacool. So I think you should receive something like Good Rod rather early in the game to get access to Pokemon living in the water before receiving Surf. The Pokemon you encounter when fishing in Rippling Water shouldn't be fully evolved ones yet, but rather the ones you can fish in normal water (but having there DW ability), as well as rarer but also weaker ones, that can't be found in normal water. Super Rod afterwards gives you access to the fully evolved, high-level Pokemon and to some post-game exclusive ones, too.
On your doubts concerning an unbalanced regional dex because of too many Water types:

There was always a large amount of Water Pokemon in every regional dex, Hoenn's regional dex actually brought it to the boil with nearly every fourth Pokemon being Water type (46 out of 202), however I see where you are coming from, a well-balanced regional index is something I anticipate, too.

Concerning the distribution of Water Pokemon within the new region, another possibility I can think of is to reserve the slots of Pokemon you encounter via Surfing for the ones that are actually located on the surface of the water (like Psyduck, Marill, Lotad etc.) and in the air above the body of water (Wingull, Ducklett, Masquerain etc.), while the ones you can encounter via Fishing would be Pokemon under the surface of the water (primarily every fish) or at the bottom of the water (Shellder, Corsola, Barboach etc.).
Furthermore there can be something like a blueprint of the distribution of a) Pokemon in rivers/lakes and b) of coastline/ocean Pokemon with only smaller differences between the particular water bodys (like Levels and exclusive rather rare Pokemon) or an East Coast/West Coast (or other regional) split like in Sinnoh.

I don't think you get my point. The point is, without post game Water types thrown into the distribution, there's not enough Pokemon to fill all four of those slots adequately. You'd need at least say, 4-6 Water type families just to fill one area with all of those four, and that's at least a good 1/3 of the Water types available in any given regional dex filling just one Water area in the game. There'd be almost no variety in the water routes in the game as a result, you'd be encountering the same species of Pokemon pretty much everywhere. Not to mention that Water types inhabit more areas than just water routes. That's why fishing is now post game, to give them a more adequate pool of Water types to choose from to flesh out the distribution. The addition of rippling water made having fishing before post game unfeasible, you'd need to change how that would work in order to bring back fishing.

Bolt the Cat said:
I don't think you get my point. The point is, without post game Water types thrown into the distribution, there's not enough Pokemon to fill all four of those slots adequately. You'd need at least say, 4-6 Water type families just to fill one area with all of those four, and that's at least a good 1/3 of the Water types available in any given regional dex filling just one Water area in the game. There'd be almost no variety in the water routes in the game as a result, you'd be encountering the same species of Pokemon pretty much everywhere. Not to mention that Water types inhabit more areas than just water routes. That's why fishing is now post game, to give them a more adequate pool of Water types to choose from to flesh out the distribution. The addition of rippling water made having fishing before post game unfeasible, you'd need to change how that would work in order to bring back fishing.

Despite generation 5 lacked Water Pokémon compared to other generations, I still think they could have given you a rod at some point during the main story. The majority of the waters of other Pokémon games had little variety as well; mostly Magikarp and Tentacool everywhere, with some original Pokémon every now and then. Besides, Unova is not Hoenn, pre-national dex areas do not contain a lot of water, or require you to Surf a lot, you would not really notice it at all. It would still be about the same Pokémon everywhere, but that has been the case in almost every generation.

Possible Surf encounters would be:
Fresh water: Tympole, Palpitoad, Ducklett, Swanna, Stunfisk.
Salt water: Frillish, Jellicent.

Fishing encounters:
Fresh water: Basculin, Stunfisk.
Salt water: Frillish, Jellicent, Alomomola.

As for the rippling water; A lot of them contained just the exclusive version of Basculin, and as most of these phenomenon just increase the likelyhood of rare Pokémon appearing, they might as well made Alomomola a very rare Pokémon to normally encounter, say 1% to 5%, and made use of the rippling water to make it more common. Thus Pokémon like Seismitoad, Swanna, Basculin, Jellicent and Alomomola could be great examples for rippling water. (Also, I never understood why Tympole was found on land only).

Even Tynamo could have made an appearance in water, just as Stunfisk, a non-Water Pokémon living in water. Eelektross for all we know, lives in the ocean;

Pokémon Black said:
They crawl out of the ocean using their arms. They will attack prey on shore and immediately drag it into the ocean.

Just as Poliwag, it would be able to appear on land (or in that one cave it appeared) and in water. Basculin might as well be in both the fresh waters and the oceans, just like Magikarp is.

I agree it would not be as diverse as any previous game was, but there has to be a first for everything. It was possible though.

I also think Fishing and Surf encounters could work together with Rippling Water even before post-game without causing serious issues of distribution.

Like in previous generations, you may have one common Pokemon for fresh water and one for salt water (like Basculin/Magikarp and Frillish/Tentacool, respectively) within the area of the main storyline. These Pokemon have a high encounter rate for not Rippling Water encounters (let's say 70-80%, maybe even 100% on the first routes, which is exactly what Basculin has in Unova on many routes anyway).
As I said above, a bigger difference between Surf and Fishing encounters would be nice, suggesting there would be 4 common lines for all these possibilities and adding 2 rather common lines for all four possibilities in order to raise diversity leastwise a little bit (12 lines so far).

I see that this distribution might be perceived as monotonous, but on the other hand I think it also makes sense as especially salt water species have less limitations to spread than terrestrial species have, the same (with smaller reservations) is true for many fresh water species, given that they inhabit water bodys of a now or then connected river system.

On top of those 12 common lines there would be all the stuff that you can exclusively encounter on one route / on the routes within a confined area.
Let's say that would be another 10-14 lines (from which the bigger part is placed in Rippling Waster exclusively alongside DW variants of the common Pokemon), so the total amount of Pokemon lines that could be encountered on the water would be 22-26.

Considering that the regional dex includes 200-300 Pokemon and that 22-26 evolution families bring about maximally 60 (probably even fewer) Pokemon species, there would be 70-80% terrestrial species and 20-30% maritime species, which is a suitable distribution IMO.

For comparison only and without counting starters, legendaries and fossils, Hoenn had 21 Water Pokemon families in its regional dex, Johto 19, Sinnoh 15 and Kanto 12, the latter two containing significantly fewer species in their regional dex. None of them had to fill slots for Rippling Water, while Unova nevertheless just had 6 families in its regional dex due to post-game fishing (which was pretty poor IMO).

The access to Water Pokemon before receiving Surf was very limited in Unova, which could have been fixed by Fishing as well. IIRC and given that you don't start with Oshawott there were only Tympole, Panpour and Ducklett in BW. And also Surf just gave you Basculin, Frillish and Alomomola before post-game.

BW2 added Marill and Psyduck - you might count Vaporeon as well, while Tympole became post-game exclusive (but yet it's still in the regional dex, though that's another story). However Surf added a bunch of Water Pokemon lines, mainly because the Undella Bay region became part of the main storyline, leading to a total amount of 19 (but just 4 before receiving Surf) in the New Unova dex (again without startes and whatnot).

And consider these limitations would also just apply to the main storyline! An improved (Super) Rod received in post-game could add almost everything possible, not just in post-game areas, but also on storyline routes, as shown in BW, where you could encounter Feebas/Milotic on Route 1 or Dratini and its evos at Dragonspiral tower. Since regional dex is checked off and national mode is enabled, there's no thing like balanced type distribution you have to keep in mind, but just add the Pokemon to a route that are reasonable.

Back