XY What new smaller details would you like to see? Things! Environment! Random events! Etc.

RE: Your hopes for 6th generation?

FloodBadge said:
I agree with Arami!
Either re-type Shinx's evolution line to Electric/Dark starting with Luxio, or make a good Ele/Dark!

+1 Luxray was the perfect chance for ele/dark but GF just had to make it boring old pure electric

I just hope we have very few legendarys, little to no poke formes, and a good percentage of fire, poison, and ice-types to help balance out the type chart some.

Yes, for gender differences they have to make different skins (also different models), but for eyes they just use another animated map with the eye differences in a second map channel. the main skin of the pokemon doesn't include the eyes. (at least if they use the modeling and texturing method they used in pokepark).

they've always used that method. it saves a Muk Ton of data space (lol see what i did there?)

if they used it from the start, i can understand how they got japan's "Pokemon Stadium"

Tsukeo said:
I would like the female Seaking to be called Seaqueen. :p

I don't think that Seaking was meant to be male exclusive, in fact it sounds like a pun of seeking to me.

Actually I would love to see a church that has relevance to the plot unlike the one in Hearthome city in DPPt. If not that then I would like one where you can encounter wild Druddigon there due to the gargoyle thing.

Stay on topic. Even if I could take that post as you trying to say you want gender differences (a detail) it's too broad and doesn't work. If you want to post again listing properly why you want gender difference (which could include slight name changes) that's fine.

Ysmir said:
Stay on topic. Even if I could take that post as you trying to say you want gender differences (a detail) it's too broad and doesn't work. If you want to post again listing properly why you want gender difference (which could include slight name changes) that's fine.

I was using Druddigon as a rough example of what kind of a pokemon could live in a church like environment due to its similarities to a gargoyle. But the idea of a church like building being part of the plot or as an environment would still be pretty awesome or you could use it for some other random event.

I'm curious as to how battles when surfing will work and look. I hope they add several details, like if you're near the shore you'll see the shore in the background and things like that. It would also be nice to see the sun setting across the horizon when battling while surfing in the coastal areas.

jdivinity said:
I'm curious as to how battles when surfing will work and look. I hope they add several details, like if you're near the shore you'll see the shore in the background and things like that. It would also be nice to see the sun setting across the horizon when battling while surfing in the coastal areas.

With some of the images you can see some fences and with others trees. Also the first pre-release screenshot of Noivern seems to have mountains in the background. In the original games the background of every single place looked the same depending on where you were, all water looked like water and all grass looked like grass. It looks like they might be doing what you are talking about to a degree.

jdivinity said:

I didn't even think of Surfing. I think the bigger thing to wonder about here is how the player will animate in that situation.
I hope they don't take the cheap route and have the player on top of an amorphous black blob when you see him/her send out a Pokemon. I hope they show you actually riding the Pokemon you're Surfing on.
...but then what happens when you battle with that same Pokemon you're riding?...
Augh, Pokemon making the transition to 3D is a beautiful thing, but I'm starting to see how it also accentuates all of its logic holes.

Frezgle said:
jdivinity said:

I didn't even think of Surfing. I think the bigger thing to wonder about here is how the player will animate in that situation.
I hope they don't take the cheap route and have the player on top of an amorphous black blob when you see him/her send out a Pokemon. I hope they show you actually riding the Pokemon you're Surfing on.
...but then what happens when you battle with that same Pokemon you're riding?...
Augh, Pokemon making the transition to 3D is a beautiful thing, but I'm starting to see how it also accentuates all of its logic holes.

True like in gen one when you used Lapras to surf you got a Lapras sprite even though everything else except surfing Pikachu was a Lapras sprite back then. Then again how would they pull off something like Wailord or something like Luvdisc if they do something like that?

Raptor9229 said:
True like in gen one when you used Lapras to surf you got a Lapras sprite even though everything else except surfing Pikachu was a Lapras sprite back then. Then again how would they pull off something like Wailord or something like Luvdisc if they do something like that?

Exactly what I'm concerned about D:
I think that they'll keep it as an underwater dark blob, honestly, even in battles. They'll just kind of show your avatar sitting on some underwater thing, with the implication that it's your Pokemon. It'd be possible for them to completely outdo my expectations and show us actually riding whatever Pokemon we're Surfing on, but even though rideable Pokemon has been shown to exist and work to some degree, I still doubt it.

and then there's still the issue of sending out the Pokemon you're Surfing on into battle lol

Frezgle said:
Raptor9229 said:

I think that they'll keep it as an underwater dark blob, honestly, even in battles. They'll just kind of show your avatar sitting on some underwater thing, with the implication that it's your Pokemon. It'd be possible for them to completely outdo my expectations and show us actually riding whatever Pokemon we're Surfing on, but even though rideable Pokemon has been shown to exist and work to some degree, I still doubt it.

and then there's still the issue of sending out the Pokemon you're Surfing on into battle lol

Unless of course the pokemon unleashes an aura that looks like a wailmer or a giant bird and that is how you can explain the tiny as crap ones being able to carry you. Not sure if that is what would happen but if they do the actual pokemon then the surfing areas better be huge in order to pull off Wailord.

FloodBadge said:
professorlight said:
It's not that simple: the 3d models the game work with several images that are "wrapped" around the 3d model to give them color, shine, transparency, etc. Changing colors would be even harder, because while before they worked with a couple sheets of sprites in dfferent states of animation (for normal and shiny), now they have to make a differently colored image for each recolor. doing it a few times is OK, but create 4-5 images for each of 700 odd pokemon? that's just too much.

i agree. the recoloring may be easy, but that's if you do it the cheap way and either change the hue and saturation, or just use the paint bucket tool and make it all cra- ...cruddy looking. then again, maybe it's not too much. i mean, even for gender differences, they need different skins (textures is not the official word for the colors on models) sometimes, or else the little effects (such as shading on the pokemon's skins) may get warped, or the pokemon model's skin may be put on completely wrong. i would have also said they had to make skins for all pokemon with the eye differences, but those count as bodygroups, so it only affects the area they're designated to.

Well I only know so much about 3D modelling. However I was under the impression that a model only had a texture over it to give it color and then of course you can edit things like lighting and choose to render it. Anyways, It would also depend on how many people they have working on these things. I would imagine a team for each generation or have it split into sections some other way.

Raptor9229 said:
Frezgle said:

Unless of course the pokemon unleashes an aura that looks like a wailmer or a giant bird and that is how you can explain the tiny as crap ones being able to carry you. Not sure if that is what would happen but if they do the actual pokemon then the surfing areas better be huge in order to pull off Wailord.

Im not exactly sure how the smaller ones would work for Surf either... but I think it would be neat if the larger ones were "ride-ons", while the smaller ones act as "boogie boards". Imagine your character holding onto a Squirtle as it plows through the waves! Not a bad mental image.

Its actually more of "what are they going to do with FLYing" that Im concerned with.

Surf and Fly will probably keep their black default blob, not because it is easy, but to avoid the obvious awkward situations (and a lot of modeling).

Battles on water will probably not take place in the actual water. How would you explain a swimming Ponyta? Think of Colosseum, every area had its own battle background, I can see water battles being fought on small islands, on nearby rocks or sandy beaches. I makes more sense than Pokémon standing on water in the latter generations.

Thief said:
FloodBadge said:
i agree. the recoloring may be easy, but that's if you do it the cheap way and either change the hue and saturation, or just use the paint bucket tool and make it all cra- ...cruddy looking. then again, maybe it's not too much. i mean, even for gender differences, they need different skins (textures is not the official word for the colors on models) sometimes, or else the little effects (such as shading on the pokemon's skins) may get warped, or the pokemon model's skin may be put on completely wrong. i would have also said they had to make skins for all pokemon with the eye differences, but those count as bodygroups, so it only affects the area they're designated to.

Well I only know so much about 3D modelling. However I was under the impression that a model only had a texture over it to give it color and then of course you can edit things like lighting and choose to render it. Anyways, It would also depend on how many people they have working on these things. I would imagine a team for each generation or have it split into sections some other way.

oh, lighting isn't on the textures. that's added in the program it's being used in. for example, if you're using a program to animate a film, the lighting will be in there. in this case, it'll be in the game.

oh, and has anyone thought of the possibility of them adding battle quotes like in PBR?

Pokequaza said:
Surf and Fly will probably keep their black default blob, not because it is easy, but to avoid the obvious awkward situations (and a lot of modeling).

Battles on water will probably not take place in the actual water. How would you explain a swimming Ponyta? Think of Colosseum, every area had its own battle background, I can see water battles being fought on small islands, on nearby rocks or sandy beaches. I makes more sense than Pokémon standing on water in the latter generations.

I am pretty sure a Diglett could swim if it wanted to, I am pretty sure all pokemon could swim if they wanted to as well.

Ponyta and Rapidash are horses with fire for their manes and tails and horses generally swim better than people, I am pretty sure they can swim if they wanted to, they just can't carry you when swimming.

I hope they explain how surf and fly work. I theorize that it works in a way to where it allows you to carry you but they already know how to swim and fly without you. If they actually cared to explain how the whole thing worked I would love it even more.

Raptor9229 said:
I am pretty sure a Diglett could swim if it wanted to, I am pretty sure all pokemon could swim if they wanted to as well.

Ponyta and Rapidash are horses with fire for their manes and tails and horses generally swim better than people, I am pretty sure they can swim if they wanted to, they just can't carry you when swimming.

How about no? If a little squirt of water makes them faint, jumping in a large body of water would equal suicide.

^exactly, if a charmander tried to swim, its tail would go out and it would die

[private]Warned minor S/G for no caps.~KA[/private]

Pokequaza said:
Raptor9229 said:

How about no? If a little squirt of water makes them faint, jumping in a large body of water would equal suicide.

I hope that Gamefreak takes surf out of Rhydon and Aggron's move pools.

Yes that is right, Rhydon which is a Ground/Rock Pokemon and Aggron who is a Steel/Rock Pokemon can swim, Tyrannitar makes sense because it kinda looks like Godzilla anyway. Being weak to water types does not automatically mean that it can not swim at all and even Rampardos can swim. Leecario, I think that the flame goes out when Charmander dies not necessarily that Charmander dies when the flame goes out. People in ancient times could have seen a charmander dying and saw the flame go out once it died and they may have incorrectly assumed it was charmander dying because the flame went out and that myth might persist to the present day.

This is starting to go off topic so I will change course now and I hope that we actually get to see more interior habitats for pokemon like at the dreamyard in the basement. That counts as interior for obvious reasons. The reason a church would also make sense is because well . . . gargoyles, if they make another gargoyle like pokemon I would not expect it to be in the tall grass but rather in a building type of habitat.

Back