What is your opinion of Reverse Holo TCG cards?

I like Rev.Holo's....well most people on the East Coast of Australia do.
Some of them even go all-out to try to "bling-bling" their decks & show it off to the other people of their group/teams (Yes, I'm one of those people).

I remember opening an Aquapolis booster pack years ago and thinking "What's up with the shiny psyduck card".
I don't have much of a problem with reverse-holo's. Usually I just think of it as an alternative card to put in a folder instead of a regular non-holo card (unless I have a regular holographic version of the card). If Nintendo decided to stop making these cards I wouldn't miss them, just as long as another card was added to the booster pack so it stayed at 10.
Anyway, with a reverse-holo card, there's always the chance of getting 2 rare cards (I once had 6 Furrets from HGSS, with 3 of them being reverse-holo's. I think I even had 4 Furrets before I got my first Sentret)

I think the reverse holos are nice now. I like the ones they had in Fire Red Leaf Green until Power Keepers, where they looked just like holos except for a different holographic background and the set logo in the bottom right hand corner.

The ones they've had from that point on (or before) aren't quiet as nice and at one point I actually thought they were kind of ugly, but now I've come to think they're kind of cool. It does kind of suck though when the best card you get out of a pack is the reverse holo common card. Though it is nice when you get a reverse holo of a good rare card and a Prime or Legend peice right behind it.

The idea of 'reversing' a deck does in theory sound rather cool, but IMO it almost seems like a waste to me, not only do things get rotated every year, but the cost for such a thing. I'd be lying if I didn't say a good chunck of cash goes to Pokemon, but I (like I'm sure many others) do have other things I like to/need to spend money on.

Being a collector first, I still have alot of e-series reverse holos that I technically need...even some of the common/uncommon stuff from Ruby/Sapphire up until about just before Stomfront I need to technically get. Most of which I most likely will never get. While as a collector they are kind of neat, I admit if Nintendo stopped making them it would make my life a little easier.

Would also make my life easier as well and increase the odds of getting the cards i really want from the current set

^ I don't think the RH inserts have much to do with the odds / ratios of cards...unless someone can correct me on this?

@Pikachu6319, Primes count as your reverse holo.
@Hikikomori-san, it can, actually. Think about it. Stormfront is somewhat difficult to pull a Gyarados out of, with all the rares. Back in 1998, there were no reverse, so it would be extremely hard to pull a Gyarados out of a 100 card set. But now with RH, you increase your chances getting a Gyarados. I in fact have an RH Gyarados SF, but no regular. So they do increase your chances of getting cards.

I think most RHs are a waste. Some can look really cool though, like Luxray GL. It really just depends on the card. Common/Uncommon RHs are almost always bad, but like I said it really just depends on the card.

I love RH's, when I looked at my pack, I flipped the cards over. I sorted out my RH and my Rare, I flip over my rare and get a terrible rare from UD. I flip over my RH and Drifblim, "yessss". I actually know I guy who got a completely RH Shuppet deck that included 4 Bats and 4 Turns.

@ PikachewTofu:
Now that I think about it, yes. The addition of a card, and the fact that the card could be ANY card from the set (and RH), increases the ratios of getting the card that you need/want.

But I'm not sure how it would decrease the chances of getting "the cards that [you] really want from the current set", as The-Kaiser stated.

and for the for the most i try to get non RH cards i want first before i go for the RH

i much prefer the ex series rh, with the sets logo on. I hope they bring them back in black and white because a full reverse set or deck like these would look epic.

I find it's a great novelty finish, adding more value by being rarer for collectors. Plus, sometimes it's fun to have a all reverse holo deck. :)

I don't really like Reverse Holos that much. I would much prefer them being actually reverse, like the artwork on the card be reverse instead of the background of the card. I just liked those more before DP came out.

dmaster out.

It's just like Yu-Gi-Oh. Though there are cheaper versions of the card out there, they pay dozens more just to say, "Oooh, lookie here, I got something shiny, U MAD?". Well, here's a bit of information; they do the exact same thing. Why pay more money for the exact same thing? Sure, if you pull a good RH, then by all means, keep it. But by getting regular versions of the card, you will save money. Which, in turn, lets you buy MORE cards.

If your definition of cool is to spend about $50 to $100 more RH-fying your deck, by all means, go ahead. And if you feel proud about it, then you shoud feel disappointed that you could have played the EXACT SAME DECK for much less money.

^Well maybe some people just live for Pokemon and like it better than you do and have the money to RH their deck. It's their decision and if they like it RH'd, don't go around making people regret it.

^ Yeah, as PikachewTofu says: it's their decision.

I mean, RH is just aesthetic appeal. Some like it, some don't, some find it pointless, others find it awesome.

Personally, I enjoy them (when I get a cool RH, not one of those useless ones), and "RH-fying" a deck, as Pokefan4000, is fun for me. If it's not fun for someone else, well too bad; it's their opinion and to heck with them.

Besides, it helps the economy. Or at least the Pokemon Company.

Hi Kaiser
I agree that they should get rid of it. As a collector it's a pain to get all the RH counterparts for all the cards in the set - especially to fill commons, uncommons and trainers since most people don't feel that they are good trade value, they don't have it with them most of the time.

They scratch waay to easily so I honestly, as a collector, don't care about them and just play them as any other card.

My poor Venomoth just looks horrible.

Unless they up the quality I doubt I'll ever actually try and collect them.

Back