Speculation What is the Future of Remakes?

Mitja

veteran smartass
(remake = older pokemon game, basically "copy-pasted" into a newer (then current) generation. Meaning it has updated graphics and all the features/mechanics that were added/changed since. A minor amount of new content is added as well.)

In my view, ORAS was one "remake" too many. HGSS was already close to being unnecessary, and the only real justification was that it was guaranteed to sell a ton, and with a real stretch the fact that there was no Johto in the current compatible generations (since trading forwards got cut-off between gen 2 and 3 for technical reasons).

While one of the main reasons for making FRLG was to reintroduce ~80% of the old Pokemon, neither HGSS or ORAS were necessary to make their "native" Pokémon obtainable, as GF has figured out a plethora of ways to make as many non-regionaldex Pokémon as they want available in whatever game they please (swarms, radar, postgame areas, postgame legendary encounters, spin-offs, global link, etc..), as well as all games since RS being forwards compatible. Which is why we now have Pokemon originating from 2 different Hoenn regions (ones from RSE and ones from ORAS)

The core reason why I say ORAS was the one that crossed the line however, has to do with time.
The first problem with the current concept is the widening gap between original and remake:
FRLG came out 8 years after Red&Green.
HGSS came out 10 years after Gold&Silver.
ORAS came out 11 years after Ruby&Sapphire.
The second part is the fact that FRLG were part of gen III, the generation of RS, meaning that FRLG, the remakes, were just as outdated as RS, and this makes the whole thing absurd, since the story that hasn't been told for the longest time now, is once again the story of Gen I (followed by IV and II).

So, just continuing on with a pair of bland DP-remakes (updated copy-paste, with a rushed Platinum episode tacked onto it and an ad for a never returning Battle Frontier) ignoring this issue, would be way too lazy and uninspired (and also less profitable than any remake so far).

I don't know what Gamefreak has in plan regarding this (well okay, I do, they re-released GenI on VC so they could milk that nostalgia once more, but this time without even having to make a new game and also having the "can't experience genI"-part covered.), but here's what I'd do to adress this. I'd ditch this kind of remake concept altogether, and instead start releasing either "spiritual remakes" or actual "sequels" in their stead, meaning new entries in the series that simply happen to play in the same region/s. Either changing some of the story to make it more modern or interesting/fresh, or have a completely new story instead, with tons of nostalgic references to the original.

With VC extending GenIs "life", as well as them having the same option for GenII, by simply releasing GSC on VC in a while, they got the first 3 gens covered for a few years, brining us to Sinnoh as the next in line for a return in some form. So why not start the "change" there, and not release Omicron Pearl and Tau Diamond (or whatever the adjectives would be), but make 2 NEW games taking place in Sinnoh instead? Heck, with how small the 6th generation was in terms of new Pokemon, they could throw some new ones in such a game as well (rather than just some Mega evolutions) and call it its separate generation while being more like a second half to generation IV that we only just now find out about. It'd be similar to how BW2 expanded BW1 (especially if 50 or so of the 153 GenV Pokémon were kept away before and introduced only with BW2), but taken even further, taking place more than a decade after DPt story-wise, with any returning characters having aged, and some of them returning in important roles, including the old protagonist etc.

Note: I'm not saying I didn't like the remakes we've had so far, or that I wouldn't get excited if we get new ones announced some day. I'd still get and enjoy DP-remakes even if they didn't do anything radical with the remake formula, especially in the case of DPt, as Sinnoh is pretty much my favourite region. But that's also why I wish even more that they'd get a more interesting treatment than the previous 2 sets did.

So basically, the thread is about discussing the current remake concept (as defined above for example) and whether we would still want/like more of them, have something similar but different take their place in future instead, or whether they should just focus on making new games without these nostalia-cash-in distractions every generation.

If you would like to see gamefreak change how they handle these kind of entries, how or what would you want them to do differently?
And since GenIV would be the next in line, it makes sense to focus on that in examples..in other words:

How should DP(t)-remakes be handled differently from the previous remakes, if at all?

Last edited:
I'm moving this to VG News & Discussion since this has nothing to do with Sun and Moon.

Anyway, I do think we could see more sequel remakes now that VC is an option, while before they probably wouldn't have gone for it because there was no way for younger players to experience the original story (and therefore might miss the storyline connection and references that older players would know), VC now provides a solution to that, they could go as far as bundle a VC copy of the first game with the sequel. However, I'm less certain if they would do this with Sinnoh, they may not be ready to put DS games on VC and could want to recreate the original experience with newer mechanics. I'd definitely be in favor of sequels for older regions like Kanto and Johto though, they could really benefit from newer gameplay mechanics and the larger scale changes that a sequel could offer.

I agree with you, Mitija.
With every 'Mon available between Kalos and the remade Hoenn, there's really not any reason to remake anything afterwards, at least for now. Let's see... Kanto was redone for the GBA, Johto for the DS, and Hoenn on the 3DS. I wouldn't mind if, down the road when we have a new handheld, they re-did Sinnoh.

But for now, let us enjoy Alola and hopefully their sequels.

I get what you're saying with HG/SS not being necessary to obtain all the pokemon at that time, but that's not the only reason they should do remakes. They took the opportunity in HG/SS to flesh out the pokemon world better than any game before it, both with every pokemon being able to appear in the game's overworld (via walking them), and the method for rematching gym leaders putting them in different places outside their gyms. Game Freak has still yet to portray a region as populated and immersive as that, what with abandoning walking pokemon for all future games and just having 8-10 pokemon actually show up outside of battles. That plus bringing Gen II up to date with abilities and the physical/special split, and the fact that the games encompass two full regions, is what leads people (well, me and my friends at least) to say HG/SS are the best pokemon games to date.

So basically, they just need to push the series forward like that again for a D/P remake to be worth it. I'd be thrilled if they just bring back walking pokemon and maybe get rid of the generic Surf and Fly models. I guess you could say they should develop Gen 8 instead, but it might be easier for them to reach that HG/SS level of polish when they don't have to design a whole region and story and set of new pokemon from scratch.

Maybe in the next Generation we could see a Sinnoh remake. Or maybe for the next handheld console. R/B/Y got remade for the GBA, G/S GOT remade for the Nintendo DS, and we got Ruby/Sapphire remade for the Nintendo 3DS; all sequential handheld consoles.

A Sinnoh remake doesn't need to happen right now. Let's just focus on our anticipation for Sun and Moon and the region of Alola. Sinnoh may be calling us back in a few years; we never know.

Considering DP remakes theoretically won't be coming for another 4-5 years (remakes are usually 6 years apart), maybe we'll be seeing a need for gen 4 reboot? Hopefully GF will do something radically different, but they're a business first, a copy/paste version of DP is guaranteed to bring them in a ton of money and that'll probably be their first priority (as with all remakes tbh).

Well, although I agree with most of the points against remakes, I must say that a DP remake would be good if only to make it faster. Until this day, DP are the Pokemon games that I most rarely play. It is simply a pain to go through the story when the game is so slow. And because of how rare I play this game, I would not mind playing a remake version without many new features, as I can barely remember the current version.

Considering DP remakes theoretically won't be coming for another 4-5 years (remakes are usually 6 years apart), maybe we'll be seeing a need for gen 4 reboot?

I do think that if they're doing anything with Sinnoh, it'll be on the next handheld (the NX or whatever the successor to the 3DS will be). At that point, DS games will likely no longer be compatible with what will then be current hardware, so they'll need to re-release Sinnoh in some form to expose newer generations of Pokemon fans to the region (whether that be through a new game or VC). I doubt we'll be seeing Sinnoh in 7th gen, probably 8th.

I do think that if they're doing anything with Sinnoh, it'll be on the next handheld (the NX or whatever the successor to the 3DS will be). At that point, DS games will likely no longer be compatible with what will then be current hardware
Well technically if they did that, 3DS cartridges couldn't be read either. I don't how GF would approach re-releasing a DS game, but I feel like it may just be DP with a fresh coat of paint and we'll just happen to have the ability to play both original and remade versions.

Since they've introduced the concept of regional forms, I'm wondering if future remakes will do this as well. Say, maybe DP remakes add in new Sinnoh forms of older Pokemon. This could really be a game change for remakes, as they could get away with including new families of Pokemon while still making them feel "native" to the region. They could also use them to fix variety issues, although this mechanic came a bit late to address some of the regions that have pretty major problems (Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn). But Sinnoh, even with Platinum's enhancements, does have a few lingering issues (only 2 Dragon families and 5 Fire families) so it could still help DP remakes.

Since they've introduced the concept of regional forms, I'm wondering if future remakes will do this as well. Say, maybe DP remakes add in new Sinnoh forms of older Pokemon. This could really be a game change for remakes, as they could get away with including new families of Pokemon while still making them feel "native" to the region. They could also use them to fix variety issues, although this mechanic came a bit late to address some of the regions that have pretty major problems (Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn). But Sinnoh, even with Platinum's enhancements, does have a few lingering issues (only 2 Dragon families and 5 Fire families) so it could still help DP remakes.

This is a very interesting point. Although, it would be weird to have older Pokemon suddenly change their types in Sinnoh, since you technically could have all of them in the DP games. So I think they should introduce 5 gen Pokemon and beyond, which be more logical for them to change form when they are in Sinnoh, since they have never been seen in this region in the original games.

This is a very interesting point. Although, it would be weird to have older Pokemon suddenly change their types in Sinnoh, since you technically could have all of them in the DP games. So I think they should introduce 5 gen Pokemon and beyond, which be more logical for them to change form when they are in Sinnoh, since they have never been seen in this region in the original games.

I mean, the remakes have their fair share of retcons in the game, so I don't think it would be that weird. The only thing I would say is not to add Sinnoh Forms to Pokemon that are already in the Sinnoh Dex. But yeah, I'd like to see at least some of the Alola Forms be Pokemon from 5th gen on.

Back