What is the Best Way to Get Staple Trainers?

If you're looking for the cheapest way to get them, just buy singles instead of packs. eBay has the best prices from my experience and free shipping a lot of the time.

If you really want to try packs, BREAKpoint and Fates Collide have some good trainers like Professor Sycamore, Ultra Ball, and N.

Battle Arena Decks.

This is a product meant (mostly) for new or returning players. Right now there are three with cards that are either Standard or Expanded legal:
  • Xerneas Vs Yveltal
  • Mewtwo Vs Darkrai
  • Keldeo Vs Rayquaza
The first is the oldest and the least impressive of the lot, but it still contains multiple important Trainer cards. If you can find it at a solid price (the original MSRP was about 29.99 USD, and I wouldn't pay more than that), then go for it. The second has pretty much all the same important Trainers plus more going for it, but is harder to come by at a decent price (I see them online for about $50 USD). The third is current so you should find it for at least close to the MSRP and might actually have the best Trainers yet, including two copies of VS Seeker (which would cost about the same on their own as this Battle Arena Deck!).

The other nice thing about a Battle Arena Deck is that each is actually two 60-card decks built around the Pokémon in question. Yes, even though I keep using the singular "deck"; just one of those oddball things. In the case of the latest two, they are built around good (though legal only in the Expanded Format) versions of the cards in the name; the original Mewtwo-EX, Darkrai-EX, Keldeo-EX and Rayquaza-EX. So if you get one of these you'll have two reasonably balanced decks so you and a friend can explore the game together, while on your own you'll have enough for a decent-ish first deck. Not something to win tournaments, but to take to Pokémon League and give a solid showing.

Edit: Had some grammar fails, revised a few sentences.

Last edited:
Back