What Happens at PreReleases?

TCC Co-Founder

Bzzz...you just got magnetized
I just saw that a Prerelease is an hour away from me!!! So, what happens at the prereleases? Is it a tourney or what? I looked at the details, but it wasn't to helpful lol

Well, prereleases are a ton of fun. You pay 25.00 to participate in most areas. You are given 6 packs of cards, and you build a 40 card deck out of them. You play a series of rounds with the cards, and after the tourney is over, you get at least 2 more packs. Whatever you pull from the initial 6 packs is yours to keep, and you cannot trade them to get more stuff for your 40 card deck. They are a great way to get new cars before a set is officially released.

Alright, so everyone is given 6 Packs of MD cards. Out of those 40 cards, I make a deck? Doesn't seem like enough trainers and possibly lines for a deck. And I assume energies are provided?

You generally use your own energies. You actually sit in a table of the number of booster you have or something and open them. You take one card, pass it along. You can definietly take the card you want from the pack for later, but you'd defeinitly lose in the Prerelease. Otheriwse you try to finish lines and play the deck for more boosters.

Wait. So, say there are 10 people sitting on a bench, and the person at the end picks a booster and opens it, takes one card and pass the other 9 down the line. Once all cards are taken, the second person down the line opens a booster and it all repeats. And once all boosters have been taken, you put in your energies (how would you know which ones to take???) there is a tounrey right? lol Doesn't sound like you have many trainers.

No, that's something different. The main PreRelease is that you get 6 packs, 60 cool sleeves, and a stamped card. You have unlimited energy. Yes, you don't get many trainers. It takes skill and good deck building to win.

So have peoples' experiences at pre-releases been relatively good?

Curious because there'll be one 15 minutes away from me for the MD pre-release on the 17th, and I've (obviously) never been to one. So basically, it is worth $25?

So I have get 60 sleeves (probably with Leaf/Glaceon) and 6 MD Booster Packs. Out of my 60 cards, I take probably about 45 and make a cool deck and then the staff give me my necicary energies and I put all of them in the sleeves and play a tourney? Sounds fun! What have been your experiences with the turn out at these pr's?

Well I have to say, the GE Pre-release was my first and I had a blast. However I was a little...frusterated, because the only people in my age group were all beasts and went to worlds and I was just starting out. But I met some people, got some cool cards and gained some expierence. I would highly suggest going to win, and don't worry if your new, the explained everything to me and really helped me out. So you should feel very welcome when your there.

you only get to biuld a 40 card deck including energy's so it's mostly luck-based but it's definitly worth the 25.00$

Prereleases are where you'll win with lame stuff like T2 Flaaffy/Bibarel and those kind of jokes. Also, this is where Potion, Rival and Switch are actually almost worth playing (as is every other trainer)

I have a question. If I were to go can I trade them after the tourney is over for other Pokemon cards? Like with my friend or something? Just wondering.:)

^The cards from the packs are yours after you've been owned a few times (like, by that dirty lucker who pulled 2 Magmortars).
Ergo, you are allowed to do what you want with them after you're done playing.

Oh thats good because for a second I thought I would not be allowed to trade. I don't usually go but I thought I should bring up the question though.:)

It worths the 25 without question. 8 boosters, sleeves and a promo? plus they are fun, you see what cards are in the expansion, and unlike other tournaments, you are in same condition as the other players, since the improvised decks actually sucks, but every deck suck, so you can compete fairly. Good luck and great ideas and combos make the difference. i dont know usa, but here they give you 6 boosters, you have to do a 40 card deck (including energies, provided by the organizers), with little trainers, a lot of basics and playing for 4 prizes. after completing, loosing or winning, they give you 2 more boosters. then you can trade all your cards. in my country you keep what you get in your boosters.

cacgbass said:
It worths the 25 without question. 8 boosters, sleeves and a promo? plus they are fun, you see what cards are in the expansion, and unlike other tournaments, you are in same condition as the other players, since the improvised decks actually sucks, but every deck suck, so you can compete fairly. Good luck and great ideas and combos make the difference. I don't know usa, but here they give you 6 boosters, you have to do a 40 card deck (including energies, provided by the organizers), with little trainers, a lot of basics and playing for 4 prizes. after completing, loosing or winning, they give you 2 more boosters. then you can trade all your cards. in my country you keep what you get in your boosters.

Wait, so you even keep the cards you DIDN'T use in your deck that you opened from boosters, plus 2 more boosters?

And what does the winner get? Even more boosters?

This seems very worth it to me.

Back