What exactly is a Metagame?

mitchocalypse

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, i hear it alot but i don't actually know what it is. I've read the quick explanation somewhere but i don't fully understand the term "metagame".

1 response should answer this then you can lock this thread. I just like to know EXACTLY what people are talking about.

The metagame is comprised of all of the popular decks in a given area. The format is an extension of the metagame which consists all of the popular decks in each metagame in a given country.

So a metagame is basically your opponents likely deck, what most other people in your area used. Obviously there could be 2 or 3 or more "metagames" and a format is each different one? If i were to say "i want to beat the metagame" i would need to be able to beat the popular decks floating around in my area?

correct any error i may have made

"Metagame" is a term that refers to the top skill level of any game (not necessarily a card game). So when people talk about the metagame of Pokemon, they mean the best decks in the format. When they talk about the metagame of a fighting game, they're talking about the best characters.

Metagame also implies the best decks in the entire game, not just your area. For instance, in your area, someone could win a tournament with a Caterpie deck, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the metagame. It just means that your area isn't indicative of what the metagame actually is. Big tournaments like Regionals, States, Nationals, Worlds, and maybe to some extent Battle Roads are what help determine the metagame.

Hope I explained that well enough.

It means commonly played decks or cards in a certain place. E.g., the NM metagame is mostly LUxCHomp with Arceus.

Back