XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

Blob55 said:
So I noticed in one of the pics Fennekin learns Scratch, but its paws are so small! How could it even pull that move off?
I also noticed that Froakie may be Speed based, as it learns Quick Attack.

BTW, it's Chespin a Chesnut Porcupine?

Scratch is a low powered move with only 40 as its Base Power. I think its more of just a filler move to start the game with so not everything has Tackle.

I personally love Froakie. Other than Totodile, he is my favorite water starter. Though, that could maybe change when the evolutions are revealed.

I think the starters are alright, better than usual! I really dislike Chespin though. Fed up with the rodent-like Pokemon with sticky-out teeth... Urgh. Like Patrat and Bidoof. Just ugly.

I like Fennekin though... Froakie is alright too.

Fennekin should have learned tackle instead of scratch. I noticed that if Bug is first and then is Fairy, Fennekin would have the advantage. Also if it is true that it is Fire/Psychic, it would also beat the Fighting gym (if it gets the Psychic typing after it first evolves).

Water Pokémon Master said:
Honestly this is the first time I have ever liked all three Starter Pokemon, and from what I'm seeing in our other threads, other people really like all three of them too. I remember with D/P, everyone hated Chimchar at first, calling it a Charmander ripoff. Then with B/W, everyone's initial reaction was absolute disgust of ALL THREE of them, especially Oshawott. (I remember saying "I can't believe what I'm seeing - they're all just so terrible.") But this time, I honestly feel all of them are well-designed. In Gen I and II, Ken Sugimori did all the Pokemon designs, and many of them were simple and basic. With Fennekin, I really feel that simplicity - she's just some sort of stylized fox and reminds me a bit of Vulpix. Froakie reminds me of a Pokemon belonging in Ruby and Sapphire for some reason, I think because of how much R/S was based on habitats and how much a frog reminds me of tropical rain forests. Whereas Bulbasaur is a frog, Froakie is a more realistic take on a frog, just like how R/S took many simple Pokemon designs from past generations and made them more complex (like with Butterfree to Beautifly). Chespin is definitely the unique one of the bunch but at least he's not ugly like Turtwig or a semi-ripoff like Snivy. He sort of seems thrown together though, kind of how I and many others felt about Oshawott's appearance at first. But at least he's smiling, which Oshawott wasn't. :)

So Froakie has a sack around its neck, Fennekin has bright fur coming out of its ears, and Chespin has some sort of grass hat (almost looks like a Slowking's Shellder attachment). Could these be the three aspects of these starters that "grow" as they evolve?

Well I really love all the starters and think they are really well designed, I am definately at a loss for which one I'll pick as my starter for X&Y (I just can't decide between Fennekin or Froakie. :) )

I have personally never had a problem with any of the starter Pokemon although I do feel like their could be a little more innovation in the design of all the Pokemon in General because it does feel like what we are getting is a little bit samey although I don't know what everyone else thinks?

Tam said:
I don't like Chespin. It strikes me as a Pokémon where they were trying really, really hard to be unique and it just came out kinda forced and bad. The evolutions could be fantastic, though, and I'm sure there's a good reason for that awfully awkward looking 'crown'!

I love Fennekin, as unoriginal as it makes me feel. I hope to god its final form isn't standing on two legs though. Let's have a proper hardcore fox! Maybe a flying fox even. :)

The pokemon designs have to be approved by a alot of people before they become official. I don't think they simply tried to hard. It's more - is the design versatile and does it fit within the universe?
Personally, I like all three. I think that this generation is right up at the top for me so far. It's easily comparable to Gen2.

I love the color combination, the fact that it's a fox, and the supposed evolutionary type (Fire/Psychic) of Fennekin. I love almost everything about it, except I think the hair protruding from it's ears are weird, and it's body is a bit small for it's head. If it's evolve form is amazing then those aspects won't matter. And if it's shiny version changes the colors then I will be happy to have the regular version. :) (But if it just flips the red and yellow, or makes it shinier like Golduck, and it looks awesome, then I will really want it lol)

I like fennekin and Froakie, but i'm also curious about the grass starter, especially since it learns rollout at level 8. I tend to go back and forth between the fire and water starter and froakie and fennekin are tied right now. Which one i choose will depend of final evolutions and attacks they can learn.

I think we all sort of feel that fennekin will be fire/psychic given its learning of psychic and spy beam and the credibility of the rumors. On a similar note chespin will be part dark and froakie will be part fighting. I do wonder why gamefreak is making such a big deal about giving fennekin psychic type moves. Do they realize our hatred of another fire/fighting type and they want to point out how fennekin will be different? Or are they trying to troll us, get our hopes up, then give it a fighting typing? Or am I looking too hard?

I'm going with Chespin no matter what. I love Grass type Pokemon.
I am really excited about all three of them though. The last time that was true was with Gen I.
As the informant on this site said, Chespin's evos will be Grass/Dark, Froakie's evos will be Water/Fighting, and Fenniken's evos will be Fire/Psychic. This will really be the most epic Pokemon game ever.

The starters this region look pretty good. Right now I'm torn between fennekin and froakie. Hopefully their evolution's will be revealed soon so I can finally decide.

The new trailer revealed Fennekin learns Psybeam. The rumours, which so far have been right, said it would evolve into a Psychic type. This seems to be hinting the same! I love all three starters, and I will definitely use all three in my journey through Kalos.

It is one of the few generations where I like all starters, and I hope it will stay like that when they evolve.

Drohn said:
The new trailer revealed Fennekin learns Psybeam. The rumours, which so far have been right, said it would evolve into a Psychic type. This seems to be hinting the same! I love all three starters, and I will definitely use all three in my journey through Kalos.

It is one of the few generations where I like all starters, and I hope it will stay like that when they evolve.

I totally agree... I can only say that I liked all three starters in Kanto and Hoenn. GF definitely needed to make sure they got the starters right in Gen 6 to make up for the debacle that was the starters in Gen 5, in my opinion.

Fennekin is Zorua's long-lost cousin, and a Fire-type. Nothing much for me there, especially since I never choose the Fire starter. :p
Froakie's OK. I felt indifferent when I started typing, but the more I look at the artwork the more I remember that I do indeed like Froakie.
Chespin I didn't like at first, but he's grown on me. It helps that he's the Grass-type. I can't decide whether his evolutions will be excellent or awful. Though, if he does indeed become part Dark, I'm probably all for him. Grass/Dark is a neat typing.
I think the fact that I'm not totally on board with any of these is that the two starters I'm interested in might be absolutely awesome or kinda ugly when they're finished evolving. For reasons stated above, I'll probably go with Chespin.

Here's a random thought that will never happen, but I'm posting it so if it does, I will have bragging rights: What if the starters are all monotyped, but when they mega evolve they gain the psychic, dark, fighting that the source said?

DrEspeon said:
Here's a random thought that will never happen, but I'm posting it so if it does, I will have bragging rights: What if the starters are all monotyped, but when they mega evolve they gain the psychic, dark, fighting that the source said?

IMO that's more likely to happen to Johto starters, since I kinda doubt none of the new ones would gain any type whatsoever on their own.

Like,
Mega Meganium - Grass/Fairy
Mega Typhlosion - Fire/Poison
Mega Feraligatr - Water/Dark

Mitja said:
DrEspeon said:

IMO that's more likely to happen to Johto starters, since I kinda doubt none of the new ones would gain any type whatsoever on their own.

Like,
Mega Meganium - Grass/Fairy
Mega Typhlosion - Fire/Poison
Mega Feraligatr - Water/Dark

Why wouldn't meganium get dragon and what about typhlosion is poison?

Let's keep this thread on-topic! This thread is about the Kalos starters. You can discuss the Mega Pokémon here! Other type revisions can be discussed here.

I'm definitely going to choose Chespin because it's cute :3

[private]Not very elaborated, but I think that's okay in this topic. It is still on-topic. *Drohn [/private]

Fennekin looks cool and all but looks weird with hair puffing out of its ears, but would love it even more if it going to turn the color of the fur a bit, such as it evolves it gets all the colors of fire....Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green......that would be cool to show its supremacy over all the fire type starters since most of them were Fire\Fighting :p .

Chespin it looks derpy, that is why I love it. The color scheme is what surprise me most all the dark texture in the body and the somewhat brighter green on the top, which reminded me of a blue pyramid hat :). If S/he is going to be a Grass/Dark and it going to be a assassin deal with hidden chestnut bombs XD, not probable, but I wish though.

Froakie the starter to rule them all. I want this one because in the video on the front page showed him puffing up his bubbles, like a boss....he is saying I am own the place. plus, this is the starter I am getting and gonna name him Jiraiya from Naruto. plus this starter is the first frog and I like frogs, I wish it was water/poison but oh well it will be my ninja froggie XD

Back