What deck is best used against gyrados?

Flygon Jedi Master said:
Cursegar. Mr.Mime MT and Spiritomb AR will cause plenty of problems for Gyarados, messing with their recovery and not allowing them to attack. Shuppet PL can also work with Mr.Mime MT and Spiritomb AR if you don't want to go through all the trouble of getting the Gengars and stuff, remember to run Moonlight Stadium/Unown Q in either deck.
There's the winner. Gyarados-users should run quite a few Energy in his or her deck. Mr. Mime MT is annoying as all get-out, and Warp Energy might just bring up another Mr. Mime if your opponent runs two. Spiritomb is the most annoying, because it completely shuts down your game. To counter, I was actually thinking of a 1-1 Dialga G LV.X tech. Why? It's going to be difficult to get out, but once it's out there, problems with Mr. Mime and Spiritomb are completely wiped out. Extra Uxie or even a 1-1 line of Claydol won't hurt, but you're going to need to rely on pitching the Magikarp early and getting a good starting hand to beat Cursegar. It won't be easy.

kashmaster said:
^ WOW, someone is a Gyarados fan and a half. You honestly cant tell me that you Gyarados has better odds winning against Luxchomp. You also believe that Gyarados > Gengar ._.

No, I can't tell you that Gyarados has great odds against Luxchomp. I said a little in Gyarados's favor or about even. However I guess my post did sound a little too "Gyarados kills luxchomp" which I didn't mean, my apologies.

Firstly, gengar is a great deck. It wouldnt be tier one if it couldnt accomplish anything in the format.

Also, you would usually get about 2 magikarps out. If sniping that magikarp gets you a vital prize, why not?

If by vital prize you mean 6th, then yeah that's fine. Otherwise you should not be putting Magikarps back in the discard for me. Also, Gengar is not that good anymore, as other people have said.

Also on that 'stall' idea. That is a low blow and taken completely out of context. I meant play your turns normally since Gyarados will deal 0-30 mostly, you can relax and wait for time to be called.

Ok, I'm glad that's what you meant. As I said I wasn't sure which definition of stalling you were using. Sorry if it offended you.

Spiritomb is the most annoying, because it completely shuts down your game. To counter, I was actually thinking of a 1-1 Dialga G LV.X tech. Why? It's going to be difficult to get out, but once it's out there, problems with Mr. Mime and Spiritomb are completely wiped out. Extra Uxie or even a 1-1 line of Claydol won't hurt, but you're going to need to rely on pitching the Magikarp early and getting a good starting hand to beat Cursegar. It won't be easy.

Completely shuts down your game? The only cards Spiritomb prevents before I have gotten set up (which is when you're hopefully using it) are Luxury Ball and Pokemon Communication. That's 3, maybe 4 cards at most. If you just killed a Gyarados then yeah it also stops TSD and I won't assume I always have Combee/Collector/Bebe's in hand because I don't. Also this only applies if you killed Gyarados with Shadow Skip, otherwise Spiritomb is still on the bench.

gyarados isn't that great of a deck anymore either, mostly because of the problems it has with good jumpluff lists.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this :( I have been thinking of trying more Expert Belts because it makes Leaf Guarding Jumpluffs relatively easy to kill (only need a Crobat or Poketurn, assuming I have 3 Magikarp discarded) and makes it harder for them to Leaf Guard + Mass Attack for the kill against you, but I'm not sure if I want to let them have that many chances at 2 prizes.

There's really not any good ways I can think of for Gyarados to easily/reliably beat Jumpluff... I wonder why there's so many threads on how to beat Gyarados but I haven't seen any here yet on how to beat Luxchomp/Jumpluff which are the 2 best decks in the format lol

Dances with Ninjas said:
3 Crobat Gs xx Devoluter or 30+ (50+ for Expert Belt) damage from earlier xx Devoluter = GGPO Gyarados

That is the problem. You dont want to give them a gyarados in hand after a knock out. You want it to be in the discard giving them a harder time. That is why it is less effective.

kashmaster said:
^ WOW, someone is a Gyarados fan and a half. You honestly cant tell me that you Gyarados has better odds winning against Luxchomp. You also believe that Gyarados > Gengar ._.

You'd actually be surprised dude. The Luxchomp-Gyarados matchup is really close. I may go as far as giving Gyarados the victor. Lucario is not fail safe with Luxray and Reversals easily killing it, and all Luxray can do is weakness while Gyarados OHKOs everything.

dmaster out.

At Gyarados SF: that's funny, the last time I checked Gyarados ran a huge amount of Pokemon Rescue, Super Scoop Up and PokeTurn coinciding with Crobat G. Looks like you won't be needing any Trainers after all! [/sarcasm]

elekid957 said:
shuppet+belt+2 mr mimes+lookers= GG gyarados :/
Unfortunately, he's right. Gyarados gets HUGE hands but doesn't get much recovery when it's gone with Wager or Looker's. Claydol isn't run often, and all of your Rescue and SSU go bye-bye.

just to let you guys know gyarados can play lookers as well, which usually makes luxchomp players sad, as they wont be able to get the return KO, whille gyara is getting a ko each turn. and you just lost your cyrus chain lol

Nice point there. I can just see the look on those Shuppet players' faces...

O______O

It doesn't hurt to check out your opponent's hand either.

Azul said:
Are you kidding me? I beat the heck out of DialgaChomp in Regionals with Gyarados. Set 2 Gyarados up, you attack with 60, they waste all their heal. Then they kill your Gyarados and keep doing 90 and they wasted all of their heal.

Against Gyarados? I think anything that involves Honchkrow SV.
dude,the max dmg you can do to dialga from 2 gdos is 60(if they run sp.metal....well 40-50)thats 3hko their dialga without them healing,they 3hko with poison and deafen.....if you have played against a good dialgachomp list getting the lock out properly,its almost an autoloss for gdos....and add to that a single prized karp means gg.....and add to that you cant get back gdos the same turn its koed any longer coz you cant evolve straightaway and let your magi be crobat bait.

^No... you're wrong on a lot of things... Jumpluff doesn't have the recovery of Gyarados, and it comes 10 sort of an OHKO. Obviously there are worse match-ups for Jumpluff, but no.

Back