Help What Beats Buzzwole/Lycanroc and Ultra Necrozma?

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Please include how to approach these matchups with your specific deck. I'm thinking Espeon Garb. What are your thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
I think malamar/hoopa is the best variant thus far. One prize attackers have long been the main attackers in Pokemon and although Psychic attackers are very powerful with malamar, strategically they don't make sense. Playing against Buzzwole should be easy. and make sure you put an early 20dmg snipe on a rockruff. This will insure you can ohko lycanroc with your dawnwings. Ultra necrozma is more difficult b/c you are not ohkoing fighting pokes. However the prize trade gives you a great advantage in all of these matchups. you are 2 shotting the ultras and dawnwings. But the early 20 snipe makes the numbers good for moon eclipse gx on the ultras.

I personally favor Buzzwole-Garbodor as my main deck for several reasons:
  1. Garbotoxin Garb can negate Abilities.
  2. Trash Garb can be a powerful, 1-energy attacker. Needless to say, game-state dependency is key. Great alternate attacker against most decks.
  3. Hard-counter to both Buzzwole and Buzzwole GX.
Another very important Pokémon in my arsenal is the Watch and Learn Sudowoodo which is another effective and energy-cost efficient Pokémon.

My approach to beating your aforementioned decks is to first get Garbotoxin in play as soon as possible and then secondly, basically "trade-off" on the prize exchanges. My opponent will typically "burn through" his/her Max Elixirs early game; this will make my Trash Garbs more effective attackers sooner than later.

I also played Espeon-Garbodor too which can be an effective counter against Buzzwole-Lycanroc decks. However, Espeon-Garbodor will have issues against other decks like DW Necrozma-Malamar and/or Naganadel GX-based Beast Box decks which are also popular. Fortunately, there a few techs that can still aid the Espeon-Garbodor deck player for these match-ups.

I hope you find these comments useful.

I've been using a Toxapex GX/Dragalge deck at my expanded league and it's been able to deal with Buzzwole, considering that I can just use the GX attack on the charged Buzzwole, and poison there next Buzzwole to death usually before they can get it set up. It's very snowbally though, and you can tell who's going to win by the first knock out.

I've been playing a vileplume budget deck with modicum success against Buzzwole decks. The only card in their deck that can beat a vileplume is a Lycanroc-GX. They don't play much energy either, so if they power up a buzzwole GX they will have issues powering up that Lycanroc-GX too. as an advantage, Rockruff and Lycanroc-GX are weak to grass and vileplume can confuse or sleep them.

Last edited:
There is no deck that can consistently win those two matchups. Malamar is good against Buzzwole and has a regular matchup vs Ultra Necrozma so that should be fine. If you want to beat Ultra Necrozma without losing to every Buzzwole deck, try ZoroPod. But honestly, Ultra Necrozma is not a deck to worry about.

Espeon-gx and Garbodor is great against buzzwole. I often will tech in mimikyu as well for its copycat attack and as 1 prize attacker. Yes it does struggle vs malamar variants however as mentioned no deck beats every other deck. A bonus is that espeon gx wins most times vs Gardevoir (although not a dominant deck anymore)

Back