What are your thoughts about Halloween?

LuckyLuigi7

Aspiring Trainer
Everyone may think of as me as someone who loves to construct threads about annual holidays. It's true, I love to see discussion about the sole purpose of celebration. As in this case, let's discuss every aspect of Halloween. There's always a little more beyond the surface with every holiday.

Now these are the two questions I have:

Overall, does Halloween permit more positive or more negative behavior?

Halloween is an interesting holiday. There's always the stereotype of kids running along with costumes to receive treats in their neighborhood but there's also another side to it that involves vandalism and committing evil acts during the silence of the night. What do you think is more dominant?

What age group is Halloween generally for?

Now I've only been trick or treating three times in my life. This year was the third time. Now what age group is it for generally. Now I know there are two sides to it and that plays an effect in your decision, but I'm still curious. I've talked to people who said "I'm too old for it!", and I've talked to others who said, "It's a night for free candy. Go for it!". What is your opinion on it?

Those are the two questions I am posing. Let me know what you think. :3

Happy Holidays! ^_^

- LuckyLuigi7

lets go backwards

age group - basically any one who takes the time to develop a costume is legit and can trick or treat. idc. if some teen came dressed up in a costume, id give em candy. however, if they just walk up with a bag and expect candy, no.

1st one - now how would halloween bring about kids to do vandalism? it will occurr anyway...xD there really is no connection. however, some good spirited, jumping out of the bushes to scare parents/kids is pretty funny..

also, i like how the girls get to dress....in "cool" ways for us guys to see and not be called names...hehe.

Well, unfortunately, the night before Halloween and Halloween in general for some is a holiday designed to commit evil and violent acts in public. It is known as Devil's Night and indeed people do celebrate it. So that's what I meant by a little good and a little bad. I don't really know what to make of it. :3

Yeah, I know a lot of people at my highschool who trick or treat. It's surprising but there is an older crowd who does enjoy the practice. I mean, it's fun and the act of trick or treating excluding Halloween in general is pretty safe and acceptable so I agree. Any age shouldn't feel intimidated from doing it unless they don't put any effort into it. =D

- Luigi

Interesting ideas.

I think Halloween permits more positive behavior simply because it will still be primarily a Holiday for little kids asking for candy. Sure, there are always the other group, but I think it will always be more positive.

The age group that the Holiday was intended for is clearly children. Candy + Children + Dressing up will always define Halloween and what it stands for.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
Interesting ideas.

I think Halloween permits more positive behavior simply because it will still be primarily a Holiday for little kids asking for candy. Sure, there are always the other group, but I think it will always be more positive.

The age group that the Holiday was intended for is clearly children. Candy + Children + Dressing up will always define Halloween and what it stands for.

dmaster out.
Hmm, I agree.

Yeah, primarily you are definitely accurate about both points. Overall, I guess there is an other side to both questions, but there is always a dominant impression you get from a holiday and Halloween gives the impression you mentioned. Any other ideas? :]

- Luigi

I was given a whole bunch of weird looks when I went tirck or treating. Mostly because I had no costume. I think it's positive, but the true meaning of haloween is negative.

Halloween is IMHO an excuse for children to beg for candy. You don't need a Halloween as an excuse to go out with your friends. Surely you can go out with your friends anyway. Anyhow it does permit bad behaviour, it gives me and others the opportunity to egg houses and vandalise property without the police catching us.

#1- Not really, especially when cops are driving around the streets 24/7 ;_;

#2- I don't really see too many ppl my age trick or treating. I saw most ppl my age at 7 floors of he||, a haunted house i went to. I saw loads of 4 year olds dressed in lady bug costumes trick or treating this year which was strange.....

This year me and some friends didnt bother to dress up so at the first house, they refused to give us candy so we ended up going to the drugstore and buying costumes. I got a little kids spiderman outfit, and my friends just bought tissue boxes and tape and taped the boxes all over them. :D

I went trick or treating up until I was 17 actually. It was just something we did for fun and really enjoyed it. Heck, I was 11 and 12 and being told I was too old because I was insanely tall for my age. I still enjoy the holiday a lot. I was kind of bummed I couldn't give out candy this year because I had to work on Halloween.

1st question: Where I'm at...though choice. Most people don't pull pranks here, but there aren't that many trick-or-treaters either.

2nd question: No answer, then again I saw parents trick-or-treating and that was just plain odd.

Anyway my feeling is that Halloween is getting more forgotten each year, which is sad. It's one of those few lax holidays, and I like it, but no one seems to partake in it here, and if they do most of them take parents, and take like half or all the bowl of candy. Then again maybe it's just my neighborhood.

WAY too many cops for bad behavior. Someone got arrested at my neighbor's house. Then we found out they were running a pretty impressive meth lab. San Diego is definantly the nicest town in the US *eyeroll*

Halloween causes some people to act what they're really not, they think they are that thing they are dressed up going banana's. Someone at my school was dressed up as Mario and jump smashed someone's lunch.

When I think of Halloween, I just think of fat people or dentists.

Trick-or-treating is bad. Get kidnapped while you're doing it if you're young! So age group is teens. And it makes negative behaviour. You may dress up as strange things.

grasspokemonmaster said:
Trick-or-treating is bad. Get kidnapped while you're doing it if you're young! So age group is teens. And it makes negative behaviour. You may dress up as strange things.

lolwut

when your little, your parents go with you ._. and you say hallowenn makes "negative behavior", the only ppl who do bada$$ stuff r the teens that do it regurily so saying trick r treating is bad makes no sense. I doubt kids who listen to their parents would only do illegal stuff on halloween, maybe graffiti, but i went to 3 neighborhoods to trick or treat and only saw 1 kid being a d**che.

Wow, thanks for all the comments. :3

Yeah, I do agree with Pandamore that when you are younger, you are primarily safe if you go with a parent but when you are a teenager, you officially have the rights to do it by yourself because you are at the age where you can control what you know you should or shouldn't do. I do agree that Halloween does permit a lot of bad behavior if you are with the wrong group of people. If not, you can make the activities of Halloween pretty enjoyable. It pretty much depends on who you're with. :]

- Luigi

Well, that's unfortunate. Smashing an icon of Halloween seems more like rebelling against Halloween. xD

- Luigi

Back