What are the new competive decks with the new plasma blast set?

dragons9911

Aspiring Trainer
One great idea that is born drectly from the set itself is virizion/genesect. This will be good because of of Virizion's attack, Emerald Slash, for energy acceleration. You can attack with turn one with the combination of plasma badge and colress machine as a bonus with Virizion is it's ability Verdant Wind which cancels all status conditions for pokemon that have a grass energy attached to them making hypnotoxic laser useless. The second part of this deck is genesect. With genesect you can attack for 100 damage snipe for 2 grass and a colorless and the pokemon tool g-scope. Or 200 damage for the same amount of energy but you discard two energy and the tool g-booster. And it's normal attack megalo cannon for the same amount of energy as before does 100 to the active and 20 to a benched pokemon. Plus it's ability red signal which every time you attach a plasma energy from your hand to genesect you may catcher up one of your opponents pokemon. Some pokemon that can work with this deck are deoxys, giritina, lugia, etc. So I hope this post has given you some ideas for a future deck.

RE: new competive decks with the new plasma blast set.

Virizion/Genesect is the only big deck to come out of Plasma Blast, but Silvor Mirror decks and Tool Drop Trubbish/Sigilyph/Masquerain are also something to worry about.

Silvor Mirror decks usually use Suicune and Terrakion to lock down your opponent's EX Pokemon and Plasma Pokemon. Trubbish/Sigilyph/Masquerain isn't all that good, but it won a Battle Canrival in Juniors. It basically just aims to do a ton of damage with Trubbish's Tool Drop by attaching a bunch of Tools to Sigilyph, and using Masquerain for versatility.

Other than that, Drifblim is okay. Sawk will probably be good in some decks. I bet a lot of people will play Haxorus, and Cradiliy decks and Palkia/Cherrim PS sound really fun.

This idea has been going around for so long.... dear lord.

Personal thoughts:
When Plasma Blast comes out, I will be running Darkrai/Bouffalant with the new addition silver bangle to let Bouffalant net as much as 180 damage to an EX (120+Silver Bangle+Hypnobank). I will also be running Sableye/Garbador (for it having overall good match-ups in the upcoming season and set) at a few battle roads. Another option that I have considered is Ho-oh because it's probably the most playable fire EX in this format (for the Genesect/Virizion match-up) and a freind said I could use his at a battle road. And I think that the plasma Tornadus EX will see a lot of play in the Genesct/Virizion deck.

littywitty said:
I will also be running Sableye/Garbador (for it having overall good match-ups in the upcoming season and set) at a few battle roads.

With Crushing Hammer being rotated out? I dun liek it.

littywitty said:
Another option that I have considered is Ho-oh because it's probably the most playable fire EX in this format (for the Genesect/Virizion match-up) and a freind said I could use his at a battle road.

Personally, I think Victini is more playable without Energy Switch, and it also helps against other decks that aren't Virizion/Genesect.

littywitty said:
And I think that the plasma Tornadus EX will see a lot of play in the Genesct/Virizion deck.

Uh, why? The deck doesn't exactly fall apart without a new hand every turn, and you can one shot stuff anyway with G-Booster.

Decks to come out, rather than the pure grass virizion/genesect, a porygon z/genesect/lugia, a full dragons (Garchomps+Haxorus, this one doesn't need altarias imo) every fire variant also, and well... the TDK still can do somethin... otherwise it was a very short season

I think pretty much all Darkrai decks (if Darkrai lives to see the end of the season in 2014) will have a Virizion teched in. Blends or Prisms on Darkrais can give it the advantage of Virizion's ability, while also being used to power the attack.

I reckon Virizion-EX will just generally be a one-of in a lot of decks!

^ if they OHKO one Dialga EX, you lose. Same issue with Palkia trolling.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, the main deck to arise is Virizion/Genesect (although to be honest, it's relatively mediocre, especially without energy switch.) The other two are Suicine/Terrakion/Silver Mirror and Trubbish/Sigilyph/Masquerein, although it's possible neither of those are very good either.

Darkrai/Hydreigon will come back with mirror/bangle/Virizion EX, and Vileplume definitely could make a showing with Bangle. (Bangle makes any attacker that hits for 20 KO EXs under Plume's ability, and Sawk is awesome)

How do any of those cards help Darkrai/Hydreigon at all? Max Potion+Hydreigon is still useless in many matchups due to OHKOing EXes being common, Virizion EX is totally useless, and what exactly are you planning on attacking Bangle to, and how does Mirror actually help in a deck already lacking in space?

Virizion EX isn't that bad in the deck actually. Moving the Blend GRFP up to the Active (or anything) will prevent Lasers which is really nice to have some extra protection against. And Bangle will obviously be attached to Hydreigon (one of the only non EX attackers in the deck barring techs) to make it hit 170 against opposing EXs with Dragonblast (and 170 is a magic number for a lot of current and upcoming EXs at that). Idk if Mirror will be worth the space, but it's at least a very good tool that helps against Plasma. Bangle is definitely more all around useful though.

Darkrai/Hydreigon will definitely be having more options coming up and if Energy Switch won't get reprinted, it has the potential to be the biggest Darkrai variant out there. The amount of variety and techability of the deck could very well keep it alive and competitive in the metagame.

dmaster out.

Virizion EX just for the Laser immunity is kinda iffy as a lot of decks will be dropping Lasers anyway for space, Bangles, and because they think Virizion might be big in other decks. Letting Hydreigon OHKO EXes is nice, but with the damage output of the NXD-on format I feel its too much setup to only OHKO some EXes. The fact remains that the original reason that Hydreigon was good, Max Potion, is still basically null since OHKOing EXes is so common now.

Yeah....I'm not sure how good Hydreigon is really going to be. Blastoise slaughters it as badly as it always has, and Plasma can still easily OHKO Hydreigon and all of the EX's in the deck, since Plasma is generally going to replace Lasers with Silver Bangle. The Hydreigon + Bangle thing is cool, but it's an extremely costly attack that really takes a toll on your resources when Hydreigon can get OHKO'd the next turn. Plasma is going to be running large amounts of Scrapper also, making Mirror effectively useless unless you can find room for 4 (which the deck clearly cannot do).

Dark Void said:
How do any of those cards help Darkrai/Hydreigon at all? Max Potion+Hydreigon is still useless in many matchups due to OHKOing EXes being common, Virizion EX is totally useless, and what exactly are you planning on attacking Bangle to, and how does Mirror actually help in a deck already lacking in space?

Max Potion is still really good... it's not like every deck is going to be OHKOing everything every turn all the time. You force them to OHKO or waste an attack basically, and many decks don't have the chance to OHKO these big cards all the time.

Virizion EX makes it so status can't really effect the deck, so you don't need Keldeo or anything. Also, though... it does give you a decent 2-energy attacker that can 2HKO Keldeo EXs, but that's secondary.

Bangle makes Hydreigon KO 170HP EXs, which is big.

Mirror makes Sigilyph a very good tech, and any tanking deck loves locking out opposing attackers. It does make Hydreigon very hard to KO for Plasma (and some other decks with Plasma attackers), which is good. This one IS controversial, but I think it has a lot of potential in a Hydreigon-type deck.

Sure, it won't be tier 1, but it'll make a revival I think- it won a couple Japanese tourneys, so who knows? Also, the ideal build, I'm sure, could have a whole range of tricks up its sleeves that I can't predict. To be fair, Klinklang BW will be gone, so Hydreigon will probably pick up its slack.

Just about every top tier can indeed be OHKOing everything all the time. I don't see how Mirror is any better in Hydreigon than any other deck that runs a non-EX Pokemon. Hydreigon's attack is just really inefficient nowadays even if it does KO 170 hp EXes. Status conditions aren't going to be very common and in terms of 2HKOing Keldeo (something that decks seldom need to do any more) you can do a lot better.

Mirror is close to pointless when Plasma tends to run 2-3 Scrapper anyway (and Japanese lists have been running 4 Scrapper). It actually only did ok in Japanese tournaments - and it didn't win a single one. It had one top 8 and two top 16's at Battle Carnivals. Plasma was the dominant force in most of the tournaments, with a few Garbodors, Trubbishes, Virizion/Genesects, and Blastoises popping up here or there.

The fact that two top tier decks, Plasma and Blastoise, can both OHKO everything that Hydreigon throws at them means that I don't see it being very good. Heck, even something like Trubbish is going to destroy it due to the OHKO factor. Virizion/Genesect is your only good matchup if they don't run G Booster, and if they do, that beats you too (not to mention that V/G is rather meh after we rotate Energy Switch anyway). The only reason I can see it being decent is if Plasma ends up dropping Silver Bangle for other stuff, which many Japan players have been doing (probably the reason that Hydreigon has done alright over there).

Back