Discussion What are the best Mega Evolution counters?

JoeRow

Aspiring Trainer
I have been coming across a lot of decks recently that rely on one or more Mega Evo Pokémon as their main strategy.
Because of this, I would like to fit a few counters for Mega Pokémon in my deck.

Any Pokémon or trainer card suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, I only play Standard.

Moved from the TCG Help & Advice to the TCG Competitive Play as the OP is looking for advice on a more subjective topic that would be better suited in the Competitive forums. ~bbninjas

I'd say there are quite a few Mega counters. Any form of preventing tools or Items being played/used can be major against Mega decks, as it slows them down by tons. In Expanded, Archeops would be an obvious choice, completely locking your opponent from playing Megas altogether.

Regice and the new Carbink are also obvious ones, as the counter all EXs.

Faded Town is a nice way to plonk more damage counters on, but I wouldn't call it a counter - more a check or a support for decks that can't do enough damage. The new Mega Catcher could be useful, however I think it is much too situational to be of use.

Girantina EX has a really good mega counter ability. Besides that, Faded Town, and the Espeon EX from Breakpint would work good. It devolves all of your opponent's pokemon, so if they don't have a spirit link, another turn wasted, if they do, then it was a waste of an attack.

What deck are you playing? What decks with Megas are you coming across, and why is it a problem?

Most Megas aren't really competitive at all. if you're having trouble with Mega Ampharos or Mega Gallade, you don't need counters, you need a better deck! But if it is one of the fairly few good Mega decks- Rayquaza, Manectric, Mewtwo, Groudon, then it's worth knowing what you're playing because the options will depend partly on that.

It's also possible that there is not really that much you can do without messing up your other matchups. Another reason why we need to know details.

Only a Megaphone after the megaevolution is really bad for the oponent, but Giratina is the definitive counter

What deck are you playing? What decks with Megas are you coming across, and why is it a problem?

Most Megas aren't really competitive at all. if you're having trouble with Mega Ampharos or Mega Gallade, you don't need counters, you need a better deck! But if it is one of the fairly few good Mega decks- Rayquaza, Manectric, Mewtwo, Groudon, then it's worth knowing what you're playing because the options will depend partly on that.

It's also possible that there is not really that much you can do without messing up your other matchups. Another reason why we need to know details.

I run a Rainbow Force Xerneas deck.
So this focuses on stalling until getting lots of weaker basic pokémon out on the bench (8 with sky field). Then one shotting with Xerneas with 250 power Rainbow Force.
I do get on quite well and win about 80% of my matches. The biggest problem I would say is Mega mewtwo (both X and Y), because when I knock out one there is always another powered up and ready to go on the bench. Just can't set up another Xerneas in time.

Any more tips?

Back