What are the Best Cards from Every Format?

HailHydreigon

Aspiring Trainer
Hi. This is my first post at Pokebeach, and I would like some advice. I am currently packing for a trip to the beach and I always make sure to take some cards with me. This year, though, I want to take cards going as far back as Base Set, and as recent as Steam Siege, so if you guys, who are all probably much more knowledgeable about the TCG and competitive play than I am, could you help me out by listing some of the best cards the TCG has to offer?

This is a really hard question to answer. Are you looking for trainers, pokemon, special energies, or a mix of them?

This is a really subjective question that you're honestly going to have to do your own research on, by Googling (particularly archives) and chatting with community (moreso on IM or offline). I would say that these are some of the most format-changing cards in formats:

Overeager Sableye
Smeargle HGSS
Shaymin-EX ROS
LaserBank
Night March
Garchomp/Luxray
Seismitoad-EX
Broken Time Space

@bbninjas A couple quick thoughts to add to that list (Some are repeat sets, but worth mentioning):
Junk Arm
Uxie (Legends Awakened)
VS Seeker
Computer Search (Base Set)
Professor Oak (Base Set)
Professor Oak's New Theory
N
Battle Compressor
Rainbow Energy
Prism Energy
Strong Energy
DCE
Elektrik/Bronzong (Energy from discard)
Magnezone/Emboar/Blastoise (Infinite energy from hand)
Garbodor (Dragons Exalted + Breakpoint)
Keldeo EX+Float Stone
Trevanent (Item lock)
Accelgor (Dark Explorers)
Sabeleye (Dark Explorers)
Vileplume (Undaunted)
Tropical Beach

Last edited:
I am currently packing for a trip to the beach and I always make sure to take some cards with me.

Why?

Just curious if this is a long trip, a short trip, etc. as well as why you are taking the cards with you. I mean if this is just a few days (or less) and you really will be spending most of your time on the Beach, I would bring commons you don't mind getting ruined. Actually, even if you're going to be trading or playing or whatever, still do that and include pics! You could also do that "bury someone in sand" thing but decorate with Snorlax cards. XD

Why?

Just curious if this is a long trip, a short trip, etc. as well as why you are taking the cards with you. I mean if this is just a few days (or less) and you really will be spending most of your time on the Beach, I would bring commons you don't mind getting ruined. Actually, even if you're going to be trading or playing or whatever, still do that and include pics! You could also do that "bury someone in sand" thing but decorate with Snorlax cards. XD

It's going to be a two week trip, with my entire family, including some cousins who are into the game. Besides, with so many people on such a large trip, we're going to need something to do after dark. It's not like I'm actually going to take the cards on the sand, but thanks for the concern anyways.

1. Gardevoir Secret Wonders
  2. Gallade Secret Wonders
  3. Crobat G
  4. Claydol Great Encounters
  5. Pidgeot FRLG
  6. Sneasel Neo Genesis
  7. Slowking Neo Genesis
  8. Scramble Energy
  9. Hitmonchan Base Set
  10. Electabuzz Base Set
  11. Scyther Fossil
  12. Cleffa Neo Genesis & HGSS
  13. Kingdra Legends Awakened
  14. Luxray GL Lv.X
  15. Garchomp C Lv.X
  16. Battle Compressor
  17. Muk Fossil
  18. Broken Time Space
  19. Sableye Stormfront
  20. Gyarados Stormfront
  21. Jumpluff HGSS
  22. Gengar Stormfront
  23. Machamp Stormfront
  24. Unown G Great Encounters
  25. Holon Transceiver
  26. Holon's Castform
  27. Dark Vileplume Team Rocket
  28. Mewtwo-EX
  29. Darkrai-EX
  30. Zekrom BW
  31. Reshiram BW
  32. Uxie Legends Awakened
This should get you started.

It's not like I'm actually going to take the cards on the sand, but thanks for the concern anyways.

Like I said, not everyone handles a summer trip to the beach like you do. ;) So is it a bit more like camping?

Anyway... actually was kind of hoping you might do the sand castle or Snorlax thing. It'd be hilarious. XD

Getting a bit serious though... are the most powerful cards the ones you want to bring? Wouldn't the most balanced or - if your cousins are younger or new to the game - beginner friendly be a better fit? Don't know your family so I can only guess at such things. ^^'

Back