Pokemon Weird Moves Pokémon Can Learn

GarbodorLover

Check out my art thread, "Abstract Pokémon Art"!
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but a lot of Pokémon can learn moves that they really shouldn't be able to learn. In this thread, you can post about these strange moves, just so others can learn how absurd they are.

- Zubat can learn Mean Look. How exactly does it look at its opponent without eyes?

- Heatmor can learn Wrap. It's an anteater, what does it use to wrap? I know anteaters have long tongues, but Heatmor's tongue is made of fire, so that's out of the question.

- I understand that they evolve from a clam, but it still makes no sense that Huntail and Gorebyss can learn Shell Smash. They don't have shells, so do they somehow smash their skin off?

- Slowpoke can learn Flamethrower. This isn't weird because it's a water type (Gyarados can learn it too), but because it's a Slowpoke.

- Although event-exclusive, it is possible to have a Genesect with Shift Gear. Team Plasma did upgrade Genesect with machinery (most notably adding a cannon), but I don't see any gears. Are the gears inside it?

- Azelf can learn Explosion. Most Pokémon that can learn it are made of inorganic material, like rock, metal, or clay, but can you imagine an Azelf exploding? Wouldn't guts fly everywhere? Gross!!! :confused:

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Alakazam can use Iron Tail with its.. former evolution's tail?

I also think that it is quite weird how so many Pokemon can summon rain and sun
Like Voltorb- an electric type can summon rain. It doesn't even have legs to dance for it :p

GarbodorLover

- Delphox can learn Rain Dance. Isn't that a bit counterproductive?

- In Gen 2, Hoppip could learn Pay Day. It makes sense for Purrloin and Meowth to learn it, because in Japan the move is called "Coin for a Cat", but how can a cottonweed spontaneously produce coins?

- Togekiss can learn Peck. How does it do that? It doesn't have a horn or a beak!

- This move can be learned by almost every Pokémon, and it makes no sense.
The+more+you+know+the+secret+is+out+cred+goes+to_cd1ae2_3115497.jpg

Missingno. Master

Aspiring Trainer
- This move can be learned by almost every Pokémon, and it makes no sense.
On the one hand, you're right. A good chunk of the Pokémon that learn Toxic have no real business with a move like that. On the other hand, the Poison type being my favorite type, it's kinda cool to think that everything has just a little bit of Poison-type in them.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
- Wooper can learn Ice Punch.
250px-194Wooper.png
<very clearly does not possess hands>
-and Dodrio can learn fly.
250px-085Dodrio.png
<very clearly does not possess wings>

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
On the line of peck users, Goldeen line, Nidoking line, Mamoswine line, Maractus, Escavelier and Seel also fits on that list of being able to peck. Seel and Togepi, however, learn by breeding. Togepi, by chain breeding...

GarbodorLover

- Crawdaunt and Whiscash can learn Dragon Dance. So... apparently crayfish and catfish are dragons...

- Cryogonal can learn Attract despite being genderless.

- Shedinja can learn Rest and Substitute, but they will always fail because it has 1 HP.

- Garbodor can learn Solar Beam. Who knew trash bags could fire solar-powered lasers? (Just another reason why Garbodor is my favorite Pokémon.)

- Pikachu can learn Electroweb. Uh... what? Pikachu... can... create spiderwebs...? Just... what?! (FYI, all the other electric rodents can learn it too.)

- Mewtwo can learn Dive. I'm laughing at just the thought of diving with Mewtwo. XD

17.jpg

177.png

Missingno. Master

Aspiring Trainer
- Shedinja can learn Rest and Substitute, but they will always fail because it has 1 HP.
Oh, lord, Shedinja. Don't forget such gems as Sandstorm, Double-Edge, and Final Gambit.

- Garbodor can learn Solar Beam. Who knew trash bags could fire solar-powered lasers? (Just another reason why Garbodor is my favorite Pokémon.)
Considering we've had fire-breathing hermit crabs, 15-pound pine cones that can cause earthquakes and violent explosions, various fish that can unleash howling snowstorms, a rat that can (among other things) light itself on fire and ram into the opponent, and so forth, honestly, Garbodor learning Solar Beam just never struck me as that weird.

- Mewtwo can learn Dive. I'm laughing at just the thought of diving with Mewtwo. XD
It can? I didn't even think Mewtwo got Surf. That is weird.

GarbodorLover

- Mr. Mime can learn Infestation. How does a mime summon a swarm of bugs?

- Emboar can learn Scald. It kinda makes sense since the water is boiling, but it makes no sense for a Fire type to be using a Water move (aside from Volcanion).

- Kangaskhan can learn Surf. Wouldn't the baby Kangaskhan drown?

- Smeargle can learn Hyperspace Fury. It may not seem weird because Smeargle can learn almost any move, but there are some moves that can't be sketched. If a Smeargle attempts to use Hyperspace Fury, it says "Smeargle used Hyperspace Fury!... but Smeargle can't use this move!". If it isn't usable, then why is it sketchable?

Last edited:

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
In the inverse of the Emboar thing, Jellicent, a water type, can produce fire by using Will-O-wisp. Wouldn't it just go out?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
-Chesnaught learns Pain Split. Not overly weird, but Pain Split always struck me as a Psychic sort of move, dealing with the mind and willpower. Chesnaught is more about punching things.

-Vivillon also learns Electroweb.

-Pyroar learns Bounce.

-Gogoat learns Aerial Ace. The Japanese name for this move, however, comes from the story of Sasaki Kojiro, who had perfected a technique of cutting down swallows on the wing. Aerial Ace, therefore, refers to cutting down stuff in the sky, not being an ace in the sky.

-Furfrou learns Thunder Wave...static electricity?...maybe?

-Aegislash learns Head Smash, Iron Head, etc. What head is this?

-Slurpuff learns Flamethrower. I guess stranger things happen in Pokémon than meringues breathing fire, but still.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
Clefable Learns Soft-Boiled. What egg?

Golurk Learns Fly. How does it fly without wings?

Starmie Learns Thunderbolt. Wouldn't it just Electrocute itself?

Last edited:

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
- Azelf can learn Explosion. Most Pokémon that can learn it are made of inorganic material, like rock, metal, or clay, but can you imagine an Azelf exploding? Wouldn't guts fly everywhere? Gross!!! :confused:

Back on the old Pokemon official site (I'm talking a good 7-8 years ago) I recall that they said that when a Pokemon uses Explosion, it's more of an explosion of energy, as opposed to the Pokemon actually making its body explode.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Golurk has these engine things it can use to fly as seen in the first Black and White films.

GarbodorLover

Back on the old Pokemon official site (I'm talking a good 7-8 years ago) I recall that they said that when a Pokemon uses Explosion, it's more of an explosion of energy, as opposed to the Pokemon actually making its body explode.

Their bodies don't explode? Then how do you explain these Pokémon Bandai cards?
Bandai_Golem_card.jpg Bandai_Electrode_card.jpg Bandai_Koffing_card.jpg

Purrloin

I think it's really weird that one of the last moves Electrode learns is Gyro Ball. I mean, he's the third fastest non-Legendary/Mega in the game (or 10th fastest overall if counting those). Seems like a completely wasted spot on his move list.... although it is kinda funny.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon

- I understand that they evolve from a clam, but it still makes no sense that Huntail and Gorebyss can learn Shell Smash. They don't have shells, so do they somehow smash their skin off?

Both Gorebyss and Huntail have shells in their design. Gorebyss has them as a sort of bra and Huntail has half on top of its head.