• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion with GuR

RoboSensei

I hate Greninja
turtonator.jpg firebird.jpg

Wondering what some good changes to a Volcanion list would be with additions from Guardians Rising.
Current List:

Pokemon - 11

Volcanion-EX - 4
Baby Volcanion - 3
Oricorio Baile - 1 (Formerly a Hoopa-EX)
Shaymin-EX - 2
Turtonator-GX - 1

Trainers - 37

Ultra Ball - 4
VS Seeker - 4
Trainers' Mail - 3
Energy Retrieval - 2
Max Elixir - 4
Field Blower - 1
Switch - 1
Float Stone - 3
Choice Band - 2

Sycamore - 4
N - 2
Lysandre - 2
Olympia - 1
Ranger - 1

Sky Field - 3

Energy - 12

Fire - 12

I know I need to fit 1 or 2 Turtonator-GX in there, and I've been considering changing the Sky Field method to Scorched Earth, but I'm more comfortable having all 4 Volcanion-EX in play with bench space to spare. Should I bulk up on more Choice Band and Field Blower? I prefer a speedier setup, so I'd rather not part with the Max Elixirs. I'm pretty sure Volcanion doesn't need Tapu Lele-GX, but I can fit some in if necessary.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

EDITS:
-1 Trainers' Mail, +1 Turtonator-GX

Last edited:
I would consider cutting one Trainer's Mail for a Turtonator. I've used both four and three trainers mail in my decks and I find three does just fine. By the way, I like the Oricorio tech! Also, maybe the switch could go for a Tapu Lele to search out those techy supporters like Olympia or the Ranger. Hope this helps! :)

A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • My new, revised list will feature 2-3 Turtonator GX reducing my little Volcanion count to just 2. My initial thought is that, like Tauros GX, most players will not "want" to attack an active Turtonator GX given the potential repercussions... lol. So, my opponent would either expend resources early to "get around" my Active or not attack - which still, IMO, yields a potential advantage for me. Also, should my opponent manage to turn off Abilities, the Shell Trap inflicted 20 damage can be far more effective than little Volcanion Power Heater's 20 damage.
  • Secondly, I do not view Oricorio as a "new" Hoopa EX since Oricori must attack in order to get 3 R Pokémon. Further, Passionate Dance can not search and get a needed Shaymin EX. On the other hand, Oricorio is much easier to retreat than Hoopa EX and only represents a 1-prize target.
  • Even if you do run your deck without Hoopa EX, I definitely suggest adding a Parallel City (or the new GUR Stadium that negates R Pokémon Weakness) to your list in order to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from your bench or to disrupt your opponent's bench.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • My new, revised list will feature 2-3 Turtonator GX reducing my little Volcanion count to just 2. My initial thought is that, like Tauros GX, most players will not "want" to attack an active Turtonator GX given the potential repercussions... lol. So, my opponent would either expend resources early to "get around" my Active or not attack - which still, IMO, yields a potential advantage for me. Also, should my opponent manage to turn off Abilities, the Shell Trap inflicted 20 damage can be far more effective than little Volcanion Power Heater's 20 damage.
  • Secondly, I do not view Oricorio as a "new" Hoopa EX since Oricori must attack in order to get 3 R Pokémon. Further, Passionate Dance can not search and get a needed Shaymin EX. On the other hand, Oricorio is much easier to retreat than Hoopa EX and only represents a 1-prize target.
  • Even if you do run your deck without Hoopa EX, I definitely suggest adding a Parallel City (or the new GUR Stadium that negates R Pokémon Weakness) to your list in order to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from your bench or to disrupt your opponent's bench.
I hope you find these comments helpful.
Oricorio Pros:

Can search Turtonator
Can search baby Volcanion
Only worth one prize
Cheaper retreat

Oricorio Cons:

Uses your attack
Can't search Shaymin

Hoopa Pros

Doesn't waste your attack
Can search Shaymin

Hoopa Cons

Lysandre food
Can't search baby Volcanion
Can't search Turtonator
Worth two prize cards
Heavy retreat cost

I decided to do this because i'm a little torn too. Leaning torwards Oricorio because Volcanion doesn't attack much early on. Your deck though :).

I like Turtonator GX right now as a one of.

I don't think Oricario is worth the spot at this point. It might be good after Hoopa EX and Shaymin EX rotates and gives us a format where using a turn to search pokemon may be ok.

Oricorio Pros:

Can search Turtonator
Can search baby Volcanion
Only worth one prize
Cheaper retreat

Oricorio Cons:

Uses your attack
Can't search Shaymin

Hoopa Pros

Doesn't waste your attack
Can search Shaymin

Hoopa Cons

Lysandre food
Can't search baby Volcanion
Can't search Turtonator
Worth two prize cards
Heavy retreat cost

I decided to do this because i'm a little torn too. Leaning torwards Oricorio because Volcanion doesn't attack much early on. Your deck though :).

You definitely forgot a couple cons here.
Oricorio can't slap your volcanion's down T1.
Oricorio's attack also wastes a turn where you could be slapping down energy instead of pokemon.

Personally, I don't think this is even remotely close to a Hoopa replacement and slows down one of the most consistently fast decks in the format.

You definitely forgot a couple cons here.
Oricorio can't slap your volcanion's down T1.
Oricorio's attack also wastes a turn where you could be slapping down energy instead of pokemon.

Personally, I don't think this is even remotely close to a Hoopa replacement and slows down one of the most consistently fast decks in the format.
The more I think about it, the more right you seem. I tend to autobias to things that are new or rogueish for awhile. Hoopa is probably your best bet, especially with all the Float Stones.

I'm trying to work on one very similar to this and not using Hoopa and Shaymin to see about getting used to playing without them for upcoming rotation. Always partial to Volcanion as it was one of the first decks I started building because had pulled a couple Flareon EX's and a Volc tin (then later found out it was a meta deck). Play tested it some with my kids and it still seems to set up decently fast using Nest Balls. I haven't been brave enough to forego the VS Seekers just yet, but probably will start that soon to play around with possibilities. I haven't been that big a fan of Trainer's Mail for the most part so it was not run much in my decks anyways.

I'm currently running 4x Volc EX, 3 Baby Volc, 2 Turt, 1 Oricorio - but may drop 1 Baby Volc and add 2 Lele when I drop the VS Seekers, just to get a feel for how it plays.

Back