• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion EX 2018 rotation

Graffiti600rr

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all,

My son wants to keep using his Volcanion deck for a bit and with the rotation fast approaching, he needs to eliminate/replace some cards. Here is his current deck:

Pokemon:
4 - Volcanion 25/114
4 - Volcanion EX 26/114
1 - Turtonator GX 18/145
1 - Tauros GX 100/149

Trainers:
1 - Escape Rope 127/160
3 - Float Stone 137/162
1 - Field Blower 125/145
1 - Choice Band 121/145
1 - Fighting Fury Belt 99/122
3 - Max Elixir 102/122
4 - VS Seeker 109/119
3 - Ultra Ball 113/124
2 - Nest Ball 123/149
3 - Trainers' Mail 92/108
2 - Enhanced Hammer 124/145
2 - Crushing Hammer 115/149

Supporters

2 - N 96/108
1 - Ninja Boy 103/114
1 - Fisherman 136/162
2 - Lysandre 78/98
3 - Professor Sycamore 101/119

Stadium

2 - Altar of the Sunne 118/145

Energy

12 - Fire Energy

We know that several of these cards go away, but he needs help in replacing those cards. I have not been playing long enough to really help.

Thanks

VS Seeker, Trainers' Mail, Escape Rope, and Lysandre are the only cards I notice will be rotated. He has some variations from the deck shell that has been performing well (http://www.pokegoldfish.com/deck/4007#paper) and could simply replace some of those pieces with cards played in those decks. and it looks like he's missing the oh-so-critical Tapu Lele's ($$$) as well.

The new set bring a couple spicy cards that he would like: Ho-oh GX, Kiawe, and Guzma!

Also, if you think your son is going to play competitively then I implore you to get 2-3 Tapu Lele's sooner rather than later. I got 2 playsets for ~$240 for my daughter (junior level) and me because she wanted to get more serious into it. It's a lot upfront but if you do the cost analysis it is well worth the time if they are invested/dedicated.

Best of luck!

VS Seeker, Trainers' Mail, Escape Rope, and Lysandre are the only cards I notice will be rotated. He has some variations from the deck shell that has been performing well (http://www.pokegoldfish.com/deck/4007#paper) and could simply replace some of those pieces with cards played in those decks. and it looks like he's missing the oh-so-critical Tapu Lele's ($$$) as well.

The new set bring a couple spicy cards that he would like: Ho-oh GX, Kiawe, and Guzma!

Also, if you think your son is going to play competitively then I implore you to get 2-3 Tapu Lele's sooner rather than later. I got 2 playsets for ~$240 for my daughter (junior level) and me because she wanted to get more serious into it. It's a lot upfront but if you do the cost analysis it is well worth the time if they are invested/dedicated.

Best of luck!

He is locally competitive with the current deck. He has come in second a few times, but can't get past the Leles. Thanks for the link. The cost of the Tapus are not that bad.

We are actually not losing Escape Rope due to a handy BUS reprint.

Your son will not lose much from the rotation, as @quixoticRapidash noted, you only lose VS Seeker and Trainers' Mail (Lysandre too but Guzma is essentially a reskinning). To combat the loss of these cards, the advice I give is simply to play more Trainers so it is easier to find them and less important to recover them. My changes would go as follows.:

• -4 VS Seeker
  • -3 Trainers' Mail
  • -2 Lysandre

• +1 Professor Sycamore
  • +2 N
  • +2 Guzma
  • +2 Kiawe
  • +1 Choice Band
  • +1 Fighting Fury Belt
Leles would be nice but I don't have any either so I can hardly tell you to get some!

Best of luck to your son!

Back