• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Virizion Genesect & Garbodor?

Conzipe

Aspiring Trainer
The most ideal way to play Virizion Genesect in my opinion is with LaserBank. Being able to more easily reach magic numbers such as 180, 130, 110, 80 and 60 makes the deck able to get the KO's it's otherwise struggling to get. Also Laser comes with the added effect of sometime being able to help you out of sticky situations by putting the opponents active pokémon to sleep.
However the biggest drawback to playing LaserBank is of course the mirror match where you can easily end up having 6 dead cards in your deck!

By playing Garbodor you get a solution to this problem as well as giving the deck a bunch of other benefits.
You shut down problematic abilities such as Safeguard which you would either be forced to use G Booster or another non-EX attacker to get rid off. Ability reliant decks like Blastoise/Keldeo/Kyurem, FluffyChomp and Darkrai/Hydreigon will have a harder time. Being able to shut off abilities when you are prepared for it and when the opponent isn't is a helpful concept in most match-ups. Also the strenght of Laser is generally magnified when Garbodor is in play by shutting of abilities like Keldeo's Rush In and Darkrai's Dark Cloak.

Shutting off Virizion's ability is not that bad since if it ever comes down to a special condition war this deck will pretty much always have the advantage. You can decide exactly when your opponents special conditions are going to work. While Garbodor is in play you can use Tool Scrapper to discard the tool on it and get out of any special condition your active pokémon may be in.

Comparing this deck to the popular Darkrai/Garbodor this deck has an advantage of being able to control special conditions wonderfully and more consistently being able to put pressure early and has the ability to OHKO any EX in the format with G Booster.

So I'm really liking the idea for running Garbodor in this deck for now. It's definitely the version which has had the best results for me in practice so far!

I am having some problems with creating a decklist I really like though.
This is my list right now:

Pokemon (11):
  • 4x Virizion EX
  • 3x Genesect EX
  • 2x Trubbish
  • 2x Garbodor
Trainers (38):
  • 4x Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4x Pokemon Catcher
  • 4x Ultra Ball
  • 1x Great Ball*
  • 2x Tool Scrapper
  • 2x Super Rod*
  • 2x Virbank City Gym
  • 4x Float Stone
  • 1x G Booster
  • 4x Professor Juniper
  • 4x N
  • 2x Skyla*
  • 2x Bianca
  • 2x Random Receiver*
Energy (11):
  • 9x Grass
  • 2x Plasma

* = Recent changes
-1 Colress
-1 Skyla
-1 Shadow Triad
-1 Colress Machine
+2 Random Receiver
+1 Super Rod
+1 Great Ball

Things to look more into:

1 Colress Machine and 2 plasma energy?!
Colress machine is an amazing card. However the extra attachment is not that crucial for Genesect EX to work. It's especially good after using G Booster or when leading with it. By running 1 it increases the strenght of Skyla by letting it serve as an extra energy attachment. If it's truly worth playing at such a small amount of plasma energy is up for debate. I'm considering not playing Colress + Plasma Energy at all, especially since Garbodor conflicts with Genesect's ability.

2 Bianca, 1 Colress
I'm really not a fan of these supporters in this deck. Especially Colress since I don't usually Bench a lot of pokémon in this deck which just gives the opponent something to catcher stall when I don't play Skyarrow Bridge. Unfortunately there aren't many other good options. Something to consider is using Random Receiver instead.

Shadow Triad
I find this card really inconsistent. It's a dead card early game and not something I often use late game when playing other supporters are still to prefer. It's able to get back G Booster but I usually only use it once each match anyway. I usually wait to drop G Booster down until the turn I actually want to use it. I think It serves more of a purpose if you play a more heavy Colress Machine + Plasma Energy line.

Any advice and comments on the deck is appreciated!

RE: Virizion Genesect and Garbodor?

If you dont play shadow triad and you run into a heavy silver mirror deck, you may miss shadow triad. But at the same time i am sure that they would most likely tool scrap garbodor first since it causes the most problems to most decks. So as long as you hold back on the G booster until 1 or 2 tool scrappers hit the discard, you should be fine without it.

As for the supporters. You do have a lot of trainer cards that can be used instantly and discard your hand. You should try bicycles instead. Probably 2 should be good, so you have 1 more free card.

The plasma energy/colress machine combo does seem a little weird in such low count. You could try DCE instead. Granted it seems stupid at first. But with 1 energy drop, it can count for the 2 energy discard for G Booster. But at the same time you seem like you barely use G Booster, so it might be a dumb idea.

Also try plasma balls. Maybe 3 ultra 1 plasma at first. To alleviate the need to discard cards to grab genesect.

I do have 2x Tool Scrapper and 1x G Booster, so quite a bit is needed before Silver Mirror actually starts to get me. However it's certainly one of the situations where Shadow Triad will be missed. Since I have Garbodor the need for Shadow Triad is indeed not as big since it also shuts off safeguard and some uncommon things like Latias EX which G Booster would otherwise be needed for.

Bicycle is a reasonable idea, Skyla will like it. However I feel like my supporter count will be a bit too low if I replace it for all the Colress + Bianca. I might consider cutting something like Colress Machine, 1x Grass Energy, Shadow Triad or just 1 of the Colress/Bianca for it though!

I don't like running special energy in the current format. A lot of decks are playing Enhanced Hammer right now. I think I would 9/10 want to drop a grass energy or a plasma energy over a DCE in this build. I would only use DCE when running something like Lugia or Bouffalant which really benefits from it while only having the G Booster play as an extra option.

4x Ultra Ball I definitely think is the way to go in this build. I want to be able to consistently get Virizion on the board turn 1 and also search out the Garbodor line. I have 2 turns to get the Genesect in play. Also I wanted to maximize the use of Bianca so I don't have to rely on Colress as much.

Great Feedback! Thanks!

Updated the list.

The most weird change would be swapping Colress Machine for Great Ball. I just want to maximize my chances of getting Virizion with an energy turn 1 which is extremely important. Especially since I can't really threaten a turn 2 Megalo Cannon without a heavy Colress Machine line when I happen to lead with Genesect.

Try this.

-2 Bianca
-2 Plasma Energy
-1 Great Ball

And try

+ 2 Skyla
+ 3 Skyarrow Bridge.

In my opinion, Skyla is a better supporter than Bianca in this deck because it has a lot of items. It allows you to get your stadium out quickly, get an ultra ball when you need it, etc. Plasma Energy is pointless without Colress Machine, since Red Signal would be deactivated. And the Skyarrow Bridge helps immensely, it allows you to power up Genesect with Virizion and retreat easily, and if you start with Genesect Skyarrow can help you in that situation. For the same reason, I would play the Trubbish with 1 retreat cost. They do have 60 hp, but I think it's worth it.

Thanks for your input!

The reason why I still play some plasma energy is just because of red signal. Since both Genesect and Virizion allows 1 Colorless attachment it doesn't hurt much to play it at a low amount. It's just an extra option.

I think running 4x Skyla is much better when you run it with stuff like Colress Machine + Plasma Badge which makes you need Skyla to pull of a combo early on. In this build Skyla will mainly be good later in the game since mainly use it to search for Virbank, Laser and Catcher. Turn 1 I often want to play a bunch of resources then refill my hand. Which is why I'm focusing on draw support.

It seems rather strange to run 3x Skyarrow Bridge 4x Float Stone and 2x Virbank.
Skyarrow Bridge is a very good option whenever this deck doesn't run LaserBank and a Garbodor line with 4 Float Stones however.

Back