• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

VirGen w/ Balloons

Pookapotamus

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon 14
  • 4 Virizion EX
  • 3 Genesect EX
  • 3 Drifloon (PLB)
  • 2 Drifblim (PLB)
  • 2 Drifblim (DRX)

Trainers 35
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Bianca
  • 2 Shadow Triad
  • 3 Bicycle
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Enhanced Hammer
  • 1 Crushing Hammer
  • 3 Energy Switch
  • 2 Silver Mirror
  • 1 G-Booster
  • 2 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy 11
  • 7 Grass Energy
  • 4 Plasma Energy

Strategy
Basic VirGen, but adding in Drifblim to help with Yeti, TDK, and Hydreigon. I thought of adding in LaserBank, but don't know what to take out.

I would suggest replacing the Silver Mirrors with Silver Bangles. IMHO, Silver Mirrors offer no/little protection since they can be easily Scrappered and/or your opponent will just have one of your benched Poké promoted to the active position (e.g., via Escape Rope) and attack...

^Whereas I do agree on the front that they can be Scrappered, thus meaning they have no real reliable protection, the fact remains that their protection is very valuable and your opponent will not always have a Scrapper every turn. Heck, one could even be prized. Furthermore, if it offered no protection, then why do Empoleon decks run two to three Silver Mirrors? In my opinion, if you wish to hate on Plasma, then I would keep the Mirrors.

Plus, on a side note, they can be used to fool your opponent into not attacking for the turn by attaching it to a Virizion! Like I accidentally did for, like, way too many turns against a Trubbish that ran a Virizion tech. Had I attacked then and there, I would have immediately won (I still did), however I misread the card and thought it worked for EXs! :p

Yea, Mirrors provide tons of mind games with your opponent, and offer more protection than you think.

May be a metagame call... The "top" decks being played in my area (upper Midwest) are Darkrai EX variants, Virizion EX variants, Blastoise-BKEX, RayBoar and TDK. Of these 5 deck groups, Silver Mirrors would offer little, if any, protection in at least 80% of the matchups here, IMHO.

^ Right. Most Empoleon swap around the numbers of those Mirrors in regards to their local meta, so it's a mere matter of circumstance, really. However, I must say that taking them out completely wouldn't be too wise, considering the fact that what little TDK you could run into (if your area has very little Plasma) that you would be unprotected against them, thus essentially blindsiding you, so it's always nice to have, especially when gearing up for Regionals.

I'd drop Bicycles or Hammers for Lasers. Rarely do I see Vir-Gen drop resources to a hand size less than 4 & you have the balloons to discard special energy and the DragExalt to hit for a lot.

Yea, Virgen needs resources for end game, and they wouldn't often trash their hand just for a bicycle.

Back