Discussion Viability of Stardust Jirachi

Giratina or tina from tina and toad is this bad boy
1075226.jpg

Some people sometimes stutter at it's rude abilities.

Idk about you guys but it was 8$, I'm glad I pulled a FA mega from the 1 pack, but yeah 8$.

Oh I know Giratina, I thought "Garitini" meant some sort of garbodor victini thing (god knows how those two cards would work together). Playing on tcgo the Jirachi is just 200 coins (which is awesome cuz you get a 10 pack of cards whereas a 5 pack is 95 anyway, so its basically just getting 2 packs, with Jirachi as the guaranteed rare of the 2nd pack)

It is storming cities by surprise as a 1-of tech. It essentially wins match ups against Toad, Giratina, Night March, and Special Energy reliant decks. I'm having to switch deck choices because of this card alone!

I play Giratina/Fairy and this card doesn't really phase me... I play a 1-of Hydreigon EX which cuts through the effects of your opponents active pokemon and hits for 80 for a DDC and a fairy energy.

If this card were to be given a new art work that's crude, yet accurate, it would be Jirachi smiling their head off while giving a DCE the finger.
This is honestly one of the best cards out there right now as it's splashable in nearly every deck ever, can be used multiple times and unless your opponent lysandre's around it they're stuck against an invincible pokemon that eats up their special energy and even then they would have to lysandre INTO it to ko it and stop the energy discard.
At a tournament recently I ran 1 copy of this and with Lysandre, vs seeker, knowledge of how aroamatise decks work I was able to discard 3 DDE from a Giratina Aroamatise deck. There's kind of a reason that this card is worth $5 alone, despite coming in a $5 blister with a booster pack which is worth $4, if you don't use it in your deck there's something wrong with it and you need to find space for it NOW. This card while very powerful does not neccisarily ruin the game, it just keeps things in check and from too many special energy reliant decks from getting too powerful too fast if their opponent does not run enhanced hammer/Xerosic. Releasing this card was a smart move as far as I'm concerned because it doesn't make special energy decks unviable, yet it keeps them from getting too over powered and straight up wrecking tournaments unopposed.

If this card were to be given a new art work that's crude, yet accurate, it would be Jirachi smiling their head off while giving a DCE the finger.
This is honestly one of the best cards out there right now as it's splashable in nearly every deck ever, can be used multiple times and unless your opponent lysandre's around it they're stuck against an invincible pokemon that eats up their special energy and even then they would have to lysandre INTO it to ko it and stop the energy discard.
At a tournament recently I ran 1 copy of this and with Lysandre, vs seeker, knowledge of how aroamatise decks work I was able to discard 3 DDE from a Giratina Aroamatise deck. There's kind of a reason that this card is worth $5 alone, despite coming in a $5 blister with a booster pack which is worth $4, if you don't use it in your deck there's something wrong with it and you need to find space for it NOW. This card while very powerful does not neccisarily ruin the game, it just keeps things in check and from too many special energy reliant decks from getting too powerful too fast if their opponent does not run enhanced hammer/Xerosic. Releasing this card was a smart move as far as I'm concerned because it doesn't make special energy decks unviable, yet it keeps them from getting too over powered and straight up wrecking tournaments unopposed.
Lysandre is the only problem, but it is only giving up one prize and like you said you can use it multiple times, which is why maybe do 1-3 shaymin (depending on the deck) and instead of a 4th, you can use jirachi. Very good tech in my opinion (says the one who won 5 games because of this card :p)

I agree with everyone teching this into certain decks, but I don't agree that they should be in every deck. Things like Metal Ray or Vespiquen are space tight, and need the space for other things. But one deck that really profits from this card is Primal Groudon. Vespiquen, Yveltal, and Giratina/ Seismitoad are the absolute worst matchups that are practically auto-loss this deck. But because of Jirachi, this basically evens the odds. Lysandre is a huge problem, so I've been thinking about maybe playing revive or Super Rod to keep it on the field. Another deck that I feel rises in competitive viability is Vileplume/ Miltank. Vileplume/ Jirachi is an amazing combo, but not quite enough damage output to be significant, so I thought to just tech 2 into Vileplume/ Miltank, where damage output is easy, and the colorless energy is no big deal. Though as far as I'm concerned, basically any deck can go without it. It's not entirely game changing, but it's definitely something to watch out for, I personally rate this card 8/10.

I agree with everyone teching this into certain decks, but I don't agree that they should be in every deck. Things like Metal Ray or Vespiquen are space tight, and need the space for other things.

Isn't part of the point of Vespiquen that you can have a variety of tech "one of" Pokemon? If you need it, play it, otherwise dump it for the +10HP. It seems to me that if you are expecting other battle compressor decks, it could be a good inclusion.

Isn't part of the point of Vespiquen that you can have a variety of tech "one of" Pokemon? If you need it, play it, otherwise dump it for the +10HP. It seems to me that if you are expecting other battle compressor decks, it could be a good inclusion.
I suppose so. You do prove a decent point, although there are far better pokemon to tech than Jirachi though. I'd rather play a 3rd Shaymin.

Lysandre is the only problem, but it is only giving up one prize and like you said you can use it multiple times, which is why maybe do 1-3 shaymin (depending on the deck) and instead of a 4th, you can use jirachi. Very good tech in my opinion (says the one who won 5 games because of this card :p)

Just to be clear, while Jirachi is only giving up one Prize, if an opponent is going to use Lysandre to get around the effect they can target whatever is on your Bench. In some match-ups, such as decks built around Night March Pokémon, where one is using glass cannons worth only a single Prize but is also backing them with Pokémon-EX, going around Jirachi can still result in two Prizes being taken.

My apologies if this seems painfully obvious, but I've been running into people using it against me in what seems like an improper manner... namely mid-to-late game when I have a well developed hand, Lysandre in the discard pile but few or no VS Seeker there, as well as few or no Double Colorless Energy so that when I am running Night March or Vespiquen deck I'm only "in trouble" if I was counting on my current Active going down. If my opponent wasn't able to mess with my hand, they will find they just wasted a turn discarding an Energy that a KO would have discarded, and a quick attach plus Lysandre means I'm not falling behind and may even have had a chance to pull ahead.

Last edited:
Jirachi made no impact on the city tournament I went to this past weekend, there was so many bat decks being played.

Back