Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Will be with some work

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

grantm1999

VileGar
Hey guys this is my first RMT and I'm looking for a little advice on competitive battling in general as well as my team for the VGC Regionals this coming January. I will be making the TCG my first priority but I am expecting to compete in the VGC as well. I am a n00b to the VGC, my resources are somewhat limited for VG, I have no wifi yet but I may be able to get it, and I'm extremely stubborn :p Please bear with me here I like the idea of this team and want it to be the best it can be. Oh yeah, and I won't always perfectly EV train everything to 252/252/6 or whatever it is.

Aron Lv. 1
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Shell Bell
~Endeavor
~Protect
~Toxic
~Sleep Talk

This is a pretty standard FEAR Aron and any opponent that knows what they're doing can limit its effectiveness. However, with the proper gimmicks and mind tricks, it can still be a pretty fun and good Pokemon. I don't think that EVs and Natures matter on Lv.1s but please let me know if they somehow do! This is not by any means my primary Sand Summoner, but I run Sandstorm as a just-in-case move and I couldn't think of anything better for that last slot. Even if the opponent doesn't attack Aron, Endeavor still does a ton of damage. Please let me know if Pokemon get auto-leveled UP to Lv. 50 in this format, but I don't think it does because I remember it didn't in the Fall 2011 Regionals. I do know that they get leveled down to 50 though.

Tyranitar
Ability: Sandstream
Item: Chople Berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs: ???

~Pursuit
~Protect
~Earthquake
~Taunt

Almost every Pokemon on this team is going to revolve around the FEAR Aron. This may seem like a really bad strategy but I think I may have made it viable. Anyway, for T-tar, Pursuit and Earthquake are really brutal moves on T-tar and are good in general. If your opponent is opting to not attack Aron at all then EQ can activate the cruel Endeavor to 1 (Where Sandstorm finishes the foe off), or you can use Protect on Aron so it doesn't get hit by EQ or its opponent's moves. Pursuit murders ghosts whether they want to switch out or not and such a move is needed on this team because Aron cannot hit Ghosts with Endeavor. Protect is a utility move and is great if your opponent is going to finish off Aron AND going to hit T-tar, or if your opponent is just not hitting Aron at all. Taunt is to counter trolls using Taunt/Torment combo mainly and so you can predict the opponent's moves easier. Seems pretty legit, but advice is appreciated. Most always I will start by sending out T-tar and Aron.

Hippowdon
Ability: Sandstream
Item: Leftovers
Nature: (Forget what it was but I think it was +SpDef and -Spe)
EVs:???

~Protect/Earthquake
~Stockpile/Earthquake
~Slack Off
~Toxic

This team needs another sand-summoner and I will use this as well if I see that I am against another weather team. I realize that I am complete Taunt bait but I don't know what to take out for EQ. Maybe I can rely on other Taunters on my team? This is all stall/wall set and I think it's good. Toxic usually is used first and then you use Protect, Stockpile, and Slack Off to slowly KO all of the enemies. Not to mention it's incredibly annoying :)

Lumineon
Ability: Storm Drain
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: + Spe, - Atk

~Ice Beam
~Surf/Scald
~U-Turn
~Soak

Yeah I can understand if some of you are like: "lol wut, he is a noob!", but let me explain. Soak is the main star of this Pokemon and I may not be abusing it correctly. Aron's strategy is pretty weak against ghosts immune to Endeavor, and Rock, Ground, and Steel types immune to Sandstorm. Soak is to fix that. I've tried to make this set really fast but I cannot use Swift Swim unfortunately. Storm Drain is to take water moves which is really helpful because both Sand-Summoners are weak to water and really helps Hippowdon tank a lot. Also, if your opponent tries to use two attacks to immediately take out Aron, and one of them is Water-type, then Storm Drain takes that water move and the other move will just activate a full-powered Endeavor! Surf is a generally good move especially because a lot of the Pokemon on this team know Protect. I'm not sure if I want to use Ice Beam or Blizzard. Ice Beam is generally the better move but Lumineon's SpAtk is not too spectacular and also hits two Pokemon. I don't really know though. U-Turn is just a good (filler) scouting move and generally useful on C-Scarf sets.

Basculin
Ability: Reckless/Adaptability
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: +Spe, -? (Not sure what to run)

~Scald
~Aqua Jet
~Final Gambit
~Soak

Another Soaker primarily and looks pretty gimmicky, I'll admit. Aqua Jet is just something to finish off stuff and is good if the opponent somehow gets rid of Sandstorm for a long period of time because after the opponent gets Endeavored to low health then Aqua Jet should finish it off whether Aron had full HP or 1 HP. I may use Scald just as an attacking move. Agility is to up speed so you'll get Soaks in before you get hit or die. Final Gambit + Fighting Gem is a funny combo and can be successful in taking out some mean threat when your opponent is certainly not expecting it. My explanation was a little shaky but it seems a fun set and not too bad either.

Garchomp
Ability: Sand Veil
Item: Dragon Gem/Yache Berry
Nature: + Atk or +Spe, -Def or -SpDef

~Ariel Ace
~Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Protect/Rock Slide

This is the set that I'm least sure about, as you can tell. I like Sand Veil as it is trollish in the sand, and it reminds me of how a BrightPowder on Thundurus won me two games at last year's Regionals. Life Orb would be used on the SD set and on that set I would still use Draco Meteor because otherwise I have no coverage to Dragons other than Lumineon's Ice Beam/Blizzard. Ariel Ace is mandatory because I have absolutely no coverage to Fighting otherwise. Dragon Gem is pretty cool because it will let Draco Meteor so absolutely massive damage on pretty much anything, but then the charade's over and your opponent will have an easier time taking out Garchomp once they know it has no Item.

So I think that's all! Thanks for reading and I'd really appreciate some tips on this team or just competitive VGC in general.

First, welcome to the VGC world, where everything under level 50 stays there and everything over goes there. Unless it's '09 and they had to be 50 exactly or less.

I've never heard of a FEAR Aron (or FEAR anything) ever working in VGC and this next season will be my 4th season in VGC. The main reason is competetive battling vets will just use an attack that hits both enemies or attack it twice to get rid of it right away. I may be wrong, but that just seems way to gimmicky to run at VGC (I have also failed miserably running gimmicks) and gimmicks take special people to make them work. You may be one of those special people, I don't know. Tyranitar is good, only I would recommend changing its item to a Chople Berry (that's just my style, it may not work for you). Hippowdon is actually a better attacker than its given credit for, but I won't get into that. I'd suggest swapping one of its moves for a move like Rock Slide, Ice Fang, or Earthquake, whichever works the best for you. Don't use Surf on Lumineon unless you want to rely on double protects or switches or you'll be killing your own team. Ice Beam over Blizzard. Don't want any avoid hax. I like the Soak idea on the other hand, but only if you have to stay with the Aron. If you ditch Aron, Gastrodon is a much better fit for Sandstorm teams with the Storm Drain ability, immunity to Sandstorm, and more HP/SpAtk. Final Gambit is an awful move. The Fighting Gem will do nothing to power it up at all. I suggest Basculin's moveset to be Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Soak, and maybe Crunch. With a Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk). Garchomp is best with the same nature I recommended for Basculin or an Adamant nature. Recommended moves (though I do like the idea of Aerial Ace, which is one of my favorite moves): Rock Slide/Fire Fang, Earthquake, Protect, Dragon Claw. Overall, a VGC team with massive potential, but it definitely needs work.

I absolutely love gimmicky stuff like FEAR, especially the 5th Gen FEAR Aron that's been going around for a while. However, I'd recommend not using two Sand Stream Pokemon, since I think Sand is going to be a pretty common weather (as far as weather is concerned in the first place) anyway, and you don't need more than one to start it. I'd also cut out one of the Soak users (probably Lumineon, since Basculin seems like it would be more useful in general, though Storm Drain could prove itself quite a useful ability). I would say to also drop Agility on Basculin, since setting up isn't exactly easy to do in VGC. Also, the Fighting Gem on Basculin doesn't power up any moves, so you could replace it also. I would say to make the team look about like this (changes highlighted in bold):

Aron (Lv.1) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Endeavor
- Protect
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar (Lv.50) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe) / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD (if Sassy), 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD (if Adamant)
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Crunch
- Taunt / Fire Blast

Garchomp (Lv.50) @ Yache Berry / Dragon Gem
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide / Substitute
- Protect

Basculin (Lv.50) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Soak
- Final Gambit
- Return

Heatran (Lv.50) @ Shuca Berry / Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Gyarados (Lv.50) @ Wacan Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 140 Def / 20 SpD / 44 Spe (just going with Smogon on this, I don't use Gyara in VGC much)
- Waterfall
- Icy Wind
- Taunt / Stone Edge
- Protect

Maybe it's too many changes for your liking, maybe not. Do what feels best to you, this is just my suggestion :p You might want another special attacker on there, not too sure. I was going to say a special Lucario for the last slot, but Gyara would be nice for Fighting resist, so yeah. Anyhow, good luck!

thanks for the advice guys
@Pokeplayer44
I hope I'm one of those special people lol! I like the idea of the team and I'm running it mainly for fun but of course I want to do well. My main priority is the TCG like I said and I'm just going with a team based around FEAR for the heck of it. That said, I'm glad you posted advice even though you're not much of a believer in gimmicks (for good reason, don't get me wrong).

I don't really know why I'd rather use Chople over Sash on T-tar. I don't need to worry about SR or Spikes breaking the Sash because I'm nearly always starting T-tar, and Sash can take any hit, not just Fighting. Is Fake Out/Hail really THAT Popular in VGC?

Which move should I take out for Ice Fang/Rock Slide/EQ on Hippowdon?

So Storm Drain won't take your own Surfs? :p What should I use instead? Scald? Surf activates Sturdy/Endeavor also if the opponent's not attacking Aron and I can always use Protect but idk. I'll do Ice Beam instead of Blizzard.

Why does Fighting Gem not help Final Gambit?

I liked Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw because I thought people would only run one at maximum dragon Pokemon and Draco Meteor + Dragon Gem was meant as a silver bullet for said Dragons. I need to keep Ariel Ace for coverage but I'll try Protect. What Item should I use on it?

@Squirtli:
I'll reply to your helpful and lengthy post when I have time, sorry I can't now. I replied to Pokeplayer44's first because he posted first. nothing personal, I just gtg now.

grantm1999 said:
thanks for the advice guys
@Pokeplayer44
I hope I'm one of those special people lol! I like the idea of the team and I'm running it mainly for fun but of course I want to do well. My main priority is the TCG like I said and I'm just going with a team based around FEAR for the heck of it. That said, I'm glad you posted advice even though you're not much of a believer in gimmicks (for good reason, don't get me wrong).

I don't really know why I'd rather use Chople over Sash on T-tar. I don't need to worry about SR or Spikes breaking the Sash because I'm nearly always starting T-tar, and Sash can take any hit, not just Fighting. Is Fake Out/Hail really THAT Popular in VGC?

Which move should I take out for Ice Fang/Rock Slide/EQ on Hippowdon?

So Storm Drain won't take your own Surfs? :p What should I use instead? Scald? Surf activates Sturdy/Endeavor also if the opponent's not attacking Aron and I can always use Protect but idk. I'll do Ice Beam instead of Blizzard.

Why does Fighting Gem not help Final Gambit?

I liked Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw because I thought people would only run one at maximum dragon Pokemon and Draco Meteor + Dragon Gem was meant as a silver bullet for said Dragons. I need to keep Ariel Ace for coverage but I'll try Protect. What Item should I use on it?

@Squirtli:
I'll reply to your helpful and lengthy post when I have time, sorry I can't now. I replied to Pokeplayer44's first because he posted first. nothing personal, I just gtg now.

Fighting Gem doesn't help Final Gambit because it does damage equal to the amount of HP you had when you used it (i.e. 56 HP will do 56 damage to the opponent). I recommend Yache on Chomp (but that's just my playing style, I love love love those berries). Storm Drain won't take your own Surf unless one thing you have out has it and your other Pokemon uses Surf, or any Water move for that matter. But it won't cancel out your own Surf hitting your other Pokemon. For Hippo I suggest taking off Stockpile because the boosts won't help something that slow a whole lot. Scald sounds like a great replacement for Surf. Hail isn't all that popular at VGC, but Fake Out usually is. It's not always used, but many teams have it. T-tar item choice is up to you. It's just too bulky for me to sash it. Sorry my reply is mixed up, I was just glancing at things to reply to. Good luck with the team!

If anyone that is going to VGC Regionals in Virginia this January and has any of these Pokemon that I could borrow that would be great because I doubt I'll have time to train all of them with TCG Cities being my first priority.

I have a WHOLE team I'd want someone to use, but nobody yet... I just can't go up. But if your interested, PM me and I'll tell you what I got, SOOO many choices

Back