vgc help!

snorlax71

there's nothing wrong with a nap!
This is our first year at the vcg tournaments. We've been playing the games since platinum but not competitively. Anyway, can we go into a tourney, even though we used action replay to make them shiny?
The moves will be the same, but the color changed.
What is legal? Help us! Thanks a bunch.

RE: vcg help!

/me moves to competitive forum.

I don't think you will pass the hack test if you used AR to make them shiny. I'm not positive on what all gets checked in the cartridge, but if it gets noticed that the Pokemon have been hacked to be shiny, how would they know whether or not anything else was altered?

Here is a basic rule of thumb to go by to pass the hack check:

If you think there's something questionable about it, it probably will not pass the hack check.

I'm considering to see if there are ways to hack-check my older games to see what it does and doesn't pick up, but I don't have ready access to that sort of thing.

True. But all we did was make them different. Moves are the same etc. When we watched the vcg's last season, every one was shiny. Did they trade for them? Catch them? Odds are no.
I don't want us to stand in line for an hour to find out her poke' isn't legal cuz its shiny.

There is a thing called RNG abuse. Not only is it used to get perfect IVs, but it is also used to get shiny Pokemon. The cartridges were checked twice at Nationals. Once when they first got in and then in Top Cut.

I mean we don't want to "cheat", but there are pokes that she trained hard but are shiny. Its our first competition and we want to be legal.

If they were caught as shiny without an AR, then the Pokemon are fine to use. Otherwise, the answer is more than likely going to be they aren't ok to use. I've judged VGC Nats the past two years.

Now you're scaring me. I could "pass" the inital test with the altered pokes that were raised and candied, then top she gets "busted".

I don't recall anyone gettting caught at Top Cut that wasn't caught in the first check. The only way I can think of that that would happen is if you change what Pokemon are in the Battle Box. The way they are checked is the same.

dragonexpert said:
There is a thing called RNG abuse. Not only is it used to get perfect IVs, but it is also used to get shiny Pokemon. The cartridges were checked twice at Nationals. Once when they first got in and then in Top Cut.

Though, he has a small point. Shiny abuse in BW requires a secret ID check via AR, currently.

DNA gave a good rule, but I'd like to give another:

If there's anything that has directly modified a Pokemon's data, it won't pass.

Changing one into a shiny, using one that was captured in a set encounter, stat changes, EV changes, IV changes, etc. all will fail. Cloning codes, IV checks, maybe item generation, etc. will pass.

Obviously, no one knows with complete certainty if my above examples are concrete (and the ones that do are sworn not to tell), but it's a fairly good guideline.

Perfect iv's? Sorry but we are such a novice on that. She just wanted to have the alternate "look". I'm sure there's a ton of work to getting pokes right, us no clue. We just like how they came out of the ball.

I'd hate to tell my daughter all the hard work is in vain cuz its different color. I want to see my lawyer! Lol!

Well shinies are quite unique. Those things are a big deal to the Pokemon community.
Even though it is cool to have the alternate color or whatever, it is still altering the Pokemon for an official competition.

So if her pokes don't pass ad they are, can she ar and candy her basics? Or will that be detected also?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you use Rare Candies to level up, it won't show up on a hack check.

Thanks to all for the help. I'm throwing ideas out cuz she spent a ton of time on raising her caught shiny. Now a competitive tournament is in our backyard and we aren't ready.

Can you un-shiny the Pokémon though? Maybe that'll help it pass the hack check. Then, she can turn them back shiny after it's over.

Once its captured, you can't alter it without an AR. I don't think using an AR for candies will show up, but I can't guarantee it. It doesn't technically modify the Pokemon. The best thing is to just not use an AR period if you are going to use the cartridge in an official event.

Thanks for all the help everyone. We were unaware of the issues involved in using an ar in competitive play.

I myself can say that quite a few things can pass. I've had EV's altered by an AR, EV berries abused, and rare candy abuse.

I'm my 3 vgc tournaments, all have passed, one time they were checked twice too and passed both times.

So some things can get through, but I recommend being catious.

I don't do vgc since I did alot of hacking with my AR but most of it was shinnies, items, berries and nature modification and the occasional pokemon encounter modification. But other then that I don't do much more then that. But I have a good chance of my pokemon being marked as hacked. But if all you did was shiny cheat you shouldn't have a problem.

Back