RMT Venusaur Team Tune Up

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
This is doubles team that I have been using to a great success in the smaller local VGC tournaments. I kind of just through it together, but there are some serious weaknesses that it has, and I can't decide what to change out.

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Chlorophyll (Calm)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

The mega of the team. Its mainly for a huge wall that disables the biggest threat with sleep. It also deals with anything weak to grass or poison pretty well. Though an opposing grass/poison pokemon walls it out pretty hard.

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Technician (Jolly)
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Hp
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Life Orb, Technician, Stab Fake Out into somethings. Double Hit can OHKO many pokemon and usually finish off after a Fake Out, and can break sashes. Knock off for ghost types, and U-Turn for coverage and a switch out to reuse fake out later. When teamed with Venusaur, it can fake out the faster pokemon or the more threatening one while Venusaur processed to put one of them to sleep.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Serene Grace (Calm)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Wish
- Air Slash

Follow Me supporter. Basically all it usually does. It can switch things up with a protect. It also passes wishes when needed. Considering changing this to a choice scarf version, but i do enjoy follow me.

Crawdaunt @ Expert Belt
Adaptability (Brave)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Aqua Jet
- Super Power
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

My answer for the common blaziken in my area and is a good answer to trick room with its low speed. I'm considering changing its item to something more useful. Im just not sure if the lost power for aqua jet will matter on said Blaziken.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate (Jolly)
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Hp
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Low Kick
- Crunch

My intimidate pokemon since my walls are both special. Built for speed to take out the fast flying types with stone edge that threaten Venusaur. With Togekiss flying around, it can miss every once in a while. Earthquake also works well with Togekiss. Low kick for speed control. Crunch for stab.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Sturdy (Timid)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Metal Sound
- Thunder Wave

A pokemon I rarely use and is mainly for Gyarados and Skarmory. Skarmory especially will wall out most if not all of this team. Metal Sound and Thunder Wave to support.

Overall this team is heavily weak to fighting types, 4 of them to be exact. Its usually not a huge issue since Togekiss redirects attacks, Ambipom flinches, and Venusaur puts them to sleep. But i know if my opponent plays smart, it can be a huge liability. I don't really plan on using anything non breedable since I don't pokegen or soft reset for legendaries. Though I don't mind some new breeding projects.

I only really want to keep Venusaur and Ambipom. The rest of the spots are fair game.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Expert Belt Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 298-350 (92.8 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 248-292 (82.1 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You don't secure a KO on Blaziken even with Expert Belt - but you do have a chance to OHKO it only if you run a boosting item.

I don't know a lot about doubles so this is my 2 cents. Landorus-T could be a great replacement for Krookodile though.

Ambipom: Try using Taunt instead of Knock Off because of its fast speed. It is able to outpace a lot of the meta and disrupt the opponent. U-Turn is helpful since you have Technician boosted Fake Out. You do need to be careful about using it though since your incoming Pokemon could be double targetted.

Togekiss: Having Follow Me usually outweighs the benefit to it running Choice Scarf. The support this provides is incredible. I'd really consider dropping Wish for Roost because you may end up wasting the Wish by getting KO'd. I do want to suggest Dazzling Gleam instead of Protect because it gives you much needed coverage against fighting and dragon types.

Crawdaunt: By switching to Life Orb you gain the ability to OHKO uninvested Mega Blaziken over 90% of the time.

Magnezone: This can go a couple ways. If you intend on keeping Magnezone use Protect instead of Metal Sound because scouting is more important. Also your point about Skarmory doesn't matter because Skarmory isn't frequently used in my experience. Skarmory functions more as a singles Pokemon.

If you are open to changing Magnezone, try using Manectric instead. This eliminates a fighting weakness and also Manectric can have the ability Lightning Rod. This will draw electrical moves to itself and away from your Crawdaunt and Togekiss boosting its Special Attack in the process. You can of course opt for Manectite as its item because there may be times when Venusaur just wouldn't make sense to choose against your opponent, especially if they have Charizard. Expert Belt or Air Balloon can also be subsitutes, but my recommendation is Manectite.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod -> Intimidate
EVs: 244 SAtk / 252 Spe / 12 Def
Nature: Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice ( 30 Atk IV / 30 Def IV )
- Protect

This EV spread is set up to survive an Earthquake from Mega Metagross when it mega evolves. The decision of Flamethrower or Overheat depends on if you feel comfortable switching Pokemon. I prefer Flamethrower, but I've seen Overheat work successfully too, although that variant tends to use Volt Switch instead of Thunderbolt. Hidden Power Ice completes coverage by hitting quite a few others for double damage. Remember that once you Mega Evolve, it will not be able to redirect electric attacks. It does get Intimidate though which can be beneficial in situations. I think you'll learn to love Manectric. I know I was happy with it when I was using it.

I guess i've been getting lucky with Crawdaunt on the OHKOs. Would choice band be viable? Since atm none of my pokemon are using it. It tends to just use Aqua Jet most of the time since it so slow.

As for the Manectric. If I can't or won't breed for HP Ice, is there an alternative you suggest. My first thought was snarl, as it will help my special walls resist hits even more.

Snarl can work, but it isn't as optimal. You could also try Thunder Wave if you'd like to be able to have more speed control.

The Choice Band idea for Crawdaunt it really depends on how you battle. You will end up sometimes sacrificing the best move in the situation because of being locked. I really don't think the power difference is that big of deal compared to the consistency of being able to choose the best move for the situation.

Hmm i will think on that. Any suggestions on Krookodile? Should i keep it or is there a better pokemon suited for its job.

Unless you're willing to soft reset for a Landorus-T, keep it. Intimidate helps against quite a bit.

My recommended and BEST set for Crwadaunt:
Crawdaunt@Focus Sash
Adaptability-Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Crabbhammer
-Knock Off
-Aqua Jet

This is the only way to make Crawdaunt work...But after a DD he can easily sweep almost every team!! I use him and he rules!

Also, switch Double Hit with MAX Happiness Return, because Double Hit can easily avoid while Return is more reliable and there's no need for 3 more BP, he breaks Focus Sashes with Fake Out anyway. He is also awesome! As for Krokodile he is good too but Crawdaunt's already a Dark Type and better than Krokodile so if you really need indimitate I'd suggest Arcanine or Salamence here. Ask me for suggested sets if you're intersted. Also I run Synthesis over Giga Drain on my M-Venusaur so he can recover faster but both are good. Anyway with that changes I think your team will be great. Hope I helped :)

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with your set @Team Rocket Fan . Dragon Dance isn't something Crawdaunt can utilize in doubles. Had this been singles, it can work. Dragon Dance works on a Gyarados in doubles because Gyarados has Intimidate and reasonable bulk to support it.

Also, Double Hit actually does do more damage than max happiness return. You have 2 * (35 * 1.5) which is 105 before STAB. You can use Showdown's Calculator to see this. It is also better because Fake Out can only be used the first turn Ambipom is brought in so if you don't hit the Focus Sash user, you can't OHKO.

I guess you're right about Crawdaunt, but I already know Return isn't as strong as Double Hit on Ambipom but i just said that Return is more accurate and such little added BP won't really make any difference. Also, Gyarados must be better than Crawdaunt here, indeed.

I need the priority of aqua jet to deal with Blaziken. Other than that there isn't much my team can do aside from hoping he destroys himself on my pokemon.

Usually it is. I just have expert belt on it atm. It tends to be strong enough. Especially when Blaziken has already take something out with flare blitz.

With the calculations above. 92% at least, which is pretty close that it should KO after 1 flare blitz. As long as Blaziken is gone, my team is happy with that.

Back