Using Proxies / WC Cards at League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neos

I am Neos. Who are you?
So since i dont want to spend to much money, then get shrekt by the rotation, could i just run a full world champ deck (2013 Rayeels) in sleeves and play it at league?

RE: League

You cannot unfortunately-anything with a different back to your "normal" cards (so the blue pokemon one for non-japan) cannot be played even in sleeves. You could just ask people to borrow before rotation or fill in substitutes until then

You'd have to be in a pretty hardcore league for anyone to care if you played a World Championship deck or proxies. League is a time to test new deck ideas or just have fun with other players. For the sake of fairness and quality testing I'd just be sure to use sleeves that have a super dark back (Hyper Mats are great for this) as to not give away what your top deck is in case you mix a few non-WC cards in your deck.

FYI, rotation won't come about for another 5 months...and if that is still too soon for you, you can pretty easily begin building a deck that is XY-on already (N and Ace-Specs being the most notable standouts of cards that aren't easily replaced).

League is indeed a time for testing and having fun. People use proxies at league and play unlimited format.

So yes you can use them.

RE: Proxies/WC Cards at League

I'm just going to clarify that, as long as all those things are allowed, it doesn't mean you can. Confusing enough? Let me explain:

No rule stops you from playing a deck fully made of proxies, or a WC deck at a League. However, your opponent has to agree on you using them. This is because if you are playing a League in Standard and a guy suddenly shows up with a Garchomp Lv.X deck, it would be both weird and confusing for the player using Standard. The same if you use proxies (at least put a card behind it. :p ) Before you challenge someone, make sure he/she agrees on you using those cards.

RE: Proxies/WC Cards at League

Luispipe8 said:
I'm just going to clarify that, as long as all those things are allowed, it doesn't mean you can. Confusing enough? Let me explain:

No rule stops you from playing a deck fully made of proxies, or a WC deck at a League. However, your opponent has to agree on you using them. This is because if you are playing a League in Standard and a guy suddenly shows up with a Garchomp Lv.X deck, it would be both weird and confusing for the player using Standard. The same if you use proxies (at least put a card behind it. :p ) Before you challenge someone, make sure he/she agrees on you using those cards.

Oh absolutely. There will certainly be people who won't want to play against a non-competitive deck, and you'll have to respect that. But you will generally find plenty of players who are willing to mess around and earn league points.

Personally I'm against using proxies.

If your league costs due to things like prize money, I do not think it should be allowed to use proxies. People try hard to get the cards they want, and then win with them, and probably prefer not losing top positions to 'fake' decks.

At my league, the rule is you can use any cards you like, including proxies and WC cards, as long as your opponent has knowledge of it and agrees to play against those cards. Then again, my league is mostly Juniors, so none of them tend to care too much. :)

The league I run I allow WC cards so long as they are in sleeves so there is no advantage on knowing when you will draw one of those cards. Proxies I only allow if the opponent agrees to it.

It's all about the League and attitude there. My local league (That isn't like a 2 hour bus ride away) has mostly young members and the words "Standard" and "Expanded" have no meaning. It's just whatever cards has the biggest numbers.

A different league with more mature players may demand no proxies/standard only/whatever.

If your league costs due to things like prize money, I do not think it should be allowed to use proxies. People try hard to get the cards they want, and then win with them, and probably prefer not losing top positions to 'fake' decks.

This is fair. At our league we do a tournament before league-play begins. The tournament is standard and no proxies are allowed. But during just regular league play where the purpose is glorified testing while earning cool promos, I see no issue with using proxies.

I'm all for proxies (outside of tournaments of course). I think that it helps out new players or people who just can't afford/play with the card at the time test for the format.
As for WC decks, I think that it would be a bad idea to bring that to league. A league is for fun, but it's also for testing. Even with sleeves, I personally don't want to test against a deck that isn't in format.
If you advocate not using proxies, I think that it gives kids the wrong message. It's like saying, 'Well, if you don't own it that's your problem.' Those are the kids that come in week after week with theme deck and random pack cards. When I asked kids at my older league why they didn't make popular decks if they see lists and stuff online (that conversation came up somehow) and they said that the cards cost too much. I then asked why not make proxies and they said that the league leader didn't like it. I don't see how kids can be expected to 'get good' if they aren't allowed to try out new ideas they hear online or from friends.

I think the main barrier to success in the game should be one of skill. Especially at regular leagues, where people just want to play. Excluding players solely because they didn't spend hundreds of dollars on the perfect deck (calling their deck "fake") can come off as snobbish.

I think the main barrier to success in the game should be one of skill. Especially at regular leagues, where people just want to play. Excluding players solely because they didn't spend hundreds of dollars on the perfect deck (calling their deck "fake") can come off as snobbish.
The deck that I've made and successfully use costs less than $50 AUD to build. You do not need an expensive deck to do well.

This question has been answered several times now. The owner of this thread almost definitely doesn't need anymore addition advice on this topic. Thus, I'm going to lock this thread. You may continue any discussion you started on other people's profiles.

*locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back