Ruling Unlimited: Mr. Mime Jungle and Eviolite

The Fallen One

COWER, MORTALS
6-mr.-mime.jpg

91-eviolite.jpg

My league has started to introduce unlimited in our for-fun tournaments once a month, and this question came up. If there is a Mr. Mime with Eviolite attached to it, which effect takes place first? I told him I'd come back with an official ruling, but my initial ruling is that they're simultaneous effects and you choose the order. For example, if someone deals 40 damage with an attack, he can choose whether the eviolite reduces the damage to 20 (thus making the attack go through) or he can choose for the power to take priority and completely negate the damage.

Basically, are they simultaneous effects? Or do Pokemon Power effects and Tool effects fall in different steps of damage application?

Compendium said:
Q. Scenario: Mr. Mime with Defender receives an attack that does 40 damage. The online rulebook says that Trainers are figured before Pokémon Powers; so the Defender would reduce the damage from 40 down to 20, and this would slip under the Invisible Wall, right?
A. Right! (Jul 6, 2000 WotC Chat, Q17)

Q. If it's a Hitmonchan with 2 PlusPowers on it does Invisible Power absorb it? Or does it Knock Out Mr. Mime?
A. Invisible Wall will absorb it because you calculate the effects of Trainer cards before applying Pokémon Powers from the defending Pokémon. (April 6, 2000 WotC Chat Q29)

Taken from the original Compendium.
You calculate Eviolite, and then you figure that resulting damage for Invisible Wall. If at that point it's no longer 30 or more, it is not blocked by Invisible Wall. Trainers and other cards attached factor before Pokemon Powers.

tl;dr: Eviolite first, then Invisible Wall

DNA said:
Taken from the original Compendium.
You calculate Eviolite, and then you figure that resulting damage for Invisible Wall. If at that point it's no longer 30 or more, it is not blocked by Invisible Wall. Trainers and other cards attached factor before Pokemon Powers.

tl;dr: Eviolite first, then Invisible Wall

Oh, is the compendium back up? Thanks for the answer, I'll relay that information back to the League.

Back