• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Ultra Prizm Garchomp

Rezolution

Professional Idiot
Ultra Prizm looks like a very interesting set, and I think the main one prize pokemon coming out from this set is Garchomp, which for one fighting energy and two colorless does 100 + 100 if you play a Cynthia during the turn. Cynthia has you suffle your hand into your deck and draw six, or for any veterans out there a reprint of Professor Oak's New Theory. This is great, as it means you have to play a supporter that you would play anyway to hit for 230 with a choice band. There are some problems but here is the general list I came up with

This is just the must play list, I will talk about techs later.

Pokémon-17
4 Gible - I think the correct play is the new one which has the ability which allows free retreat if a fighting energy is attached. However if we use the breakpoint one we can utilize brooklet hill, but with Brigette it may not be useful.
2 Gabite- Playing the new one is the only option, as it has an attack for one fighting energy which allows you to search your deck for a garchomp and evolve.
4 Garchomp- The main attacker, you need four copies
2 Riolu- To evole into Lucario
2 Lucario- There is a new one that has the ability if you have a stage 2 in play you get to search your deck for any card you want. This is the main draw engine, basically a computer search a turn.
2 Tapu Lele- It is just needed.
1 Alolan Vulpix- Search out for evolution lines

Energy- 10
6 Fighting Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Trainers-28
4 Cynthia (You have to play it to hit for the extra 100)
2 Sycamore (See N)
2 N (For when you don't want to play Cynthia)
2 Guzma or Pokémon Catcher (Bench Control)
2 Pal Pad (Recycle Cynthia) I think we are getting a reprint, correct me if I am wrong.
4 Ultra Ball (Search Pokémon)
4 Rare Candy (Skip Gabite)
4 Puzzle of Time (Recovery)
1 Field Blower (BPT Garb)
1 Rescue Stretcher (Pokémon Recovery)
3 Choice Band (Allows for OHKO's on GX's)
1 Float Stone (Lucario)

Other Cards and Different Versions:

Guzma vs Pokémon Catcher:
The main problem with Garchomp is that you have to play Cynthia every turn, meaning you cannot play Guzma and hit for 200 damage. I know Pokémon Catcher relies on a coin flip, but with puzzle of time for recovery, I would mostly only have to hit 50% of my flips. If there is space and play Catcher, I might play 3-4, but there might not also be space. Give me your thoughts on this, IMO I think Guzma is more consistent, but Pokémon Catcher might land just enough flips so that if you play 3-4 during a game if you Puzzle for it, you can put the Garchomp player in the drivers seat.

Breakpoint Garchomp:
For anyone that doesn't know here are the attacks
For one fighting- 60, attach an energy from your discard pile to one of your Pokémon. This can be Special Energy
For two fighting 80, plus 80 if the defending Pokémon is an EX.

Attack One: This is great for energy acceleration, Mainly in the late game when you miss an attachment because if you miss an attachment, it really hurts. This might also set up a not Cynthia KO on say a Buzzwold GX, Hit for 60 + 30 with choice band for 90, they retreat, and you Guzma and KO with the Prizm Chomp. This could be very good, and I intend to test this out.

Attack Two: In this format, this seems pretty bad. Besides Volcanion who plays EXs. I mean this, I cannot think of another competitive deck that plays these old, outdated, non-competitive cards. However, Volcanion never seems to go away, and with a choice band we are knocking it out, as long as it does not play Fighting Fury Belt. We also have the ability to hit 110 with a choice band, and because this Garchomp is a fighting type, we can hit for weakness and take OHKOs on Pokemon like Zoroark GX and Silvaly GX, which will only see an increase in play as more memories are released. This also allows you to play Guzma, adding more consistency. However if we want to go for this attack I would add a 7th fighting energy just to make sure we have enough.

Tapu Koko Promo: Leafeon GX is being release in this set, and the GX attack allows you to search out a stage 1 for all your evolving basics. This is spectacular is everyway shape in form. I would think Zoroark GX would make a good partner and go for two hit KO's, however there is an even better partner I have missed early on, Decidueye. It is entirely possible for the Leafeon/Decidueye player to have 4 Decidueyes in play turn 2 if they go second. This is going to see some play, and the problem with the matchup is that Decidueye has 240 HP, putting it out of choice banded range of Garchomp. With one flying flip, Decidueye becomes less of a threat, and the matchup goes from 25-75 for Decidueye into I think a 50-50 based on consistency and heart of the cards. This also helps in the Zoroark Gx/Goliopod GX matchup, putting both in range of just playing a Cynthia, not choice band that would otherwise be required.

Exp. Share: Energy is a struggle with the deck, and if you miss a attachment in the mid to late game, you will have problems. This tool might be a one off that helps conserve energy. The issue is that I cannot Choice Band a Exp. Shared Garchomp, meaning wthe damage is limited to 200, huge but not huge enough.

So that's what I have so far, I don't think I have thought of all the techs so if you have any, let me know. Also, please tell me what I should include or drop, mainly on the Guzma v Catcher debate or on the techs I have mentioned. Fell free to rip this list to shreds, just be somewhat nice about it.

Great list.

If you are worried about the energy, than maybe play special charge and you could also play strong energy to uses the special charge as recovery for most of your energy's.

If you don't use special charge then trying out the BP garchomp could be fun as a one of in this deck

and finally the Guzma catcher debate, I'm not sure witch one is better so I would test both too see witch one would work better in this deck.

Great list though and good luck with this in the future :)

Ummm briggete. Also desolate land or whatever the stadiums called that boost dragon types damage is really good as it allows you to hit 210 without band or 240 with band for the occasional decidueye I would say no Guzmas and mayb Pokemon catcher or counter catcher sense there's a good chance your opponent mind end up with one prize left to your 2 and you could puzzle catcher/Cynthia and kill a lele for game but you also have to think that when your hitting 230 most the time you won't even need to catcher. Just something to consider

Biff we cannot use strong energy as the Prizm Garchomp is a dragon type. We have Puzzles for energy recovery so I think I am good. The issue is attachments, not how much we play. Aura the Stadium is called devoured field, and I will be playing some, most likely 3, and a 4 line of Pokémon Catcher.

Biff we cannot use strong energy as the Prizm Garchomp is a dragon type. We have Puzzles for energy recovery so I think I am good. The issue is attachments, not how much we play. Aura the Stadium is called devoured field, and I will be playing some, most likely 3, and a 4 line of Pokémon Catcher.
Yea I checked my list afterwards to remember the name desolate land is primal grounding ability in the games so that's where I got that from

Ok thanks for the advice, here is my new trainer line (My Pokémon and Energy count do not change).

Trainers-33

4 Cynthia
2 Sycamore
2 N
1 Briggete
2 Pokémon Catcher (I need to add more but don't have space, any suggestions?)
2 Pal Pad
4 Ultra Ball
4 Rare Candy
4 Puzzle of Time
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Choice Band
1 Float Stone
3 Devoured Field

Drop Pokemon Catcher for Counter Catcher. It's a small detail, but you'll usually use Catcher if you're down in prizes anyway, otherwise, you'll use a Guzma either way. Choosing a guarantee with a catch is better than chancing it if possible, which it is here. Without Guzma though, relying on 2 Pokemon Catchers can come back to bite you in the ass.

To be fair, if it is an even game at 2 prizes left each, I can't counter catcher for the last GX Knockout, because I can't play Guzma and Cynthia in the same turn.

To be fair, if it is an even game at 2 prizes left each, I can't counter catcher for the last GX Knockout, because I can't play Guzma and Cynthia in the same turn.
But in that scenario, you'd take a prize, putting yourself at 1 prize, whereas they only get 1 off your Garchomp if their active wasn't already giving you 2

Yes but then your opponent could Guzma and win the game taking out a 2 prize Lele. The issue with Counter Catcher is that In order to finish a game, you opponent can only have one prize left, and most likely they will Guzma a Lele before that happens.

Back