• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Ultra Necrozma GX/Malamar again lol

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:
4x Inkay
3x Malamar
2x Ultra Necrozma GX
2x Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
2x Tapu Lele GX
1x Mimikyu GRI
1x Mewtwo GX

Trainers:
4x Cynthia
3x Guzma
2x Copycat
2x Lillie
1x Judge
1x Sophocles

4x Mysterious Treasure
3x Ultra Ball
3x Acro Bike
2x Beast Ring
2x Choice Band
1x Energy Retrieval
1x Switch
1x Rainbow Brush
1x Field Blower
1x Rescue Stretcher

3x Altar of the Moone

Energy:
7x Psychic Energy
2x Metal Energy
1x Beast Energy (*)

This deck has been fairly consistent for me and I've had a moderate amount of success testing it. Let me know your thoughts!

With the new Prism Stadiums coming up i would consider upping Moone to x4 when the time comes (if youre even still running this deck).

Main Thoughts:
I never bothered with Rescue Stretcher, never needed it.
Was also highly efficient with 1 beast ring and adding several (2-3) order pads.
Brush is a good idea if you arent running 3 metal, i usually just run 2x Energy Loto. Problem for me here is finding the x1 brush without me trusty order pads.
Did not find copy cat to be worth it in a lot of matchups, especially mirrors. Higher rankings and smarter players dump their hands. -2 copy cat and +2 TV Reporter for me here.
I run nest balls in here on top of treasure. There isnt enough Malamar without mass executing Ikays onto the bench.
I always make it a point to run 3 lillie for T1 consistency no matter what. That T1 hand dump with Mysterious Treasure, loto, order pad, balls etc into lillie is so damn good.

Your thoughts in comparison?

With the new Prism Stadiums coming up i would consider upping Moone to x4 when the time comes (if youre even still running this deck).

Main Thoughts:
I never bothered with Rescue Stretcher, never needed it.
Was also highly efficient with 1 beast ring and adding several (2-3) order pads.
Brush is a good idea if you arent running 3 metal, i usually just run 2x Energy Loto. Problem for me here is finding the x1 brush without me trusty order pads.
Did not find copy cat to be worth it in a lot of matchups, especially mirrors. Higher rankings and smarter players dump their hands. -2 copy cat and +2 TV Reporter for me here.
I run nest balls in here on top of treasure. There isnt enough Malamar without mass executing Ikays onto the bench.
I always make it a point to run 3 lillie for T1 consistency no matter what. That T1 hand dump with Mysterious Treasure, loto, order pad, balls etc into lillie is so damn good.

Your thoughts in comparison?
Definitely not bad suggestions, something to think about.

I'm still developing the deck so I'm gonna have to see what I'm gonna end up doing

Hi TSA123,

Nice deck. Consider to include a fourth Altar of the Moone since it provides free retreat as a Float Stone replacement and also acts as your counter stadium. You could also consider Unit Energy instead of Metal Energy to reduce the reliance on Dawn Wings Necrozma GX. Lunala Prism Star is still an excellent tech in this deck. Consider to remove one Tapu Lele GX in favor of it. I would also cut one Copycat for a third Lillie. It is your ideal turn one supporter and will still remain good afterwards in this new format. Also consider to weed out the item cards. A lot of them do not seem to be needed at all to support the main theme of this deck. Consider to increase the total energy count to 13-14 energies. This will help you to discard them fast with Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure in the first turn to benefit even more from Lillie. It also provides the neded fuel for Malamar and Acro Bike. If you want to take this deck to the next expansion consider to find an even balance between GX attacker and non-GX attacker since Lost Thunder provides as with the tools for three decent non-GX deck at once. Hope this provides some initial assistance.

I ran 1 rainbow brush in my deck online and it came in use a couple of times. I would almost opt to put in maybe a lady instead to be able to pull out lots of energy to be able to discard and you can also use that time to pull your metal energy.

Hi TSA123,

Nice deck. Consider to include a fourth Altar of the Moone since it provides free retreat as a Float Stone replacement and also acts as your counter stadium. You could also consider Unit Energy instead of Metal Energy to reduce the reliance on Dawn Wings Necrozma GX. Lunala Prism Star is still an excellent tech in this deck. Consider to remove one Tapu Lele GX in favor of it. I would also cut one Copycat for a third Lillie. It is your ideal turn one supporter and will still remain good afterwards in this new format. Also consider to weed out the item cards. A lot of them do not seem to be needed at all to support the main theme of this deck. Consider to increase the total energy count to 13-14 energies. This will help you to discard them fast with Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure in the first turn to benefit even more from Lillie. It also provides the neded fuel for Malamar and Acro Bike. If you want to take this deck to the next expansion consider to find an even balance between GX attacker and non-GX attacker since Lost Thunder provides as with the tools for three decent non-GX deck at once. Hope this provides some initial assistance.
Fourth Altar isn't necessary at this moment in time because there aren't many stadiums you really need to counter other than Brooklet Hill and Shrine of Punishment. As for Unit Energy, I was considering running it as a 1-of, but I don't think that it's a complete replacement to Metal because you can't search it out with Rainbow Brush (which comes in VERY clutch), and Enhanced Hammer and Eneporter are still very popular cards. I never liked Lunala Prism, especially now because we don't have Float Stone and Garbodor has rotated, which makes it kind of unnecessary. I've honestly been thinking about cutting 1 Copycat for another Lillie or 1 Tate and Liza, but I dunno quite yet. As for the item cards, they're mostly still essential to the theme of the deck: Acro Bike is inherently consistent because of the loss of Sycamore. Energy Retrieval retrieving Metal from the discard because we don't have Super Rod in format anymore, Switch for if we don't have Altar out, Rainbow Brush in case we wiff hard on Metal, Field Blower for Choice Band, Bodybuilding Dumbbells, Shrine of Punishment, etc. And Rescue Stretcher because we want our Pokemon back. As for the Energy count, I don't disagree with you, I want to run more but the space doesn't call for it and it's consistent enough for me.
I ran 1 rainbow brush in my deck online and it came in use a couple of times. I would almost opt to put in maybe a lady instead to be able to pull out lots of energy to be able to discard and you can also use that time to pull your metal energy.
I don't really like Lady, to be honest with you. It's a supporter, which means when you play that, you don't have the opportunity to be playing a draw supporter, but that's just my opinion

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and I will be sure to consider them!!

Hi TSA123,

No problem. I understand several of the choices including the potentially unpopular Rainbow Brush but it was useful to me too from time to time. Personally I started testing a SM-on version of this deck some time ago when Thuderclap Spark was released in Japan. At the moment I use this list and it worked real well for me. Personally I like Lunala Prism Star in matches against decks that tend to rush energy on the field. An example of such a deck would be Rayquaza variants which are still strong in SM-on once Lost Thunder is released. I am not trying to push you into anything. I am just trying to outline why I suggested Lunala Prism Star. The reason for suggesting more energies is that I experienced problems getting them into the discard with Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure to set up the discard while simultaneously setting up my side of the battlefield. What are your experienced in this regard? I have seen that the Malamar deck that got second at worlds got away with much less energies but I often experienced problems when running less than thirteen energies myself.

Hi TSA123,

...the potentially unpopular Rainbow Brush but it was useful to me too from time to time.
...Personally I like Lunala Prism Star in matches against decks that tend to rush energy on the field.
...I experienced problems getting them into the discard with Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure to set up the discard while simultaneously setting up my side of the battlefield. ...I have seen that the Malamar deck that got second at worlds got away with much less energies but I often experienced problems when running less than thirteen energies myself.

The brush is good if youre running basic energy, loto is amazing for finding specials, ie DCs or in case your suggestion of Unit Energy is taken, it can find that too. While its only 7 or so pulls, thats roughly 10-20+% (depending on when you use this) of your deck you're drawing in order to find what you need.

Lunala Prism Star is in my list too. It sees little use, but i prefer it on the active on T1 as with my list i am able to discard enough energy early on.

If you run a small amount of basic energy, like 7, its extremely inconsistent to have 2-3 malamar on the bench as they end up doing nothing for you in 70% of the games.

The worlds decks realized that in a lot of situations you only need 2P1M to KO most stuff in the meta. So thats your dragon, 1 manual attach and just ONE malamar attach... yeah..... the decks pretty OP and surprised it wasnt taking 1st in worlds. Its got tons more potential to be refined and tons more to be tweaked with new cards coming.

Hey newish player here, was wondering if you could explain a bit about your deck. How do you set it up, your perfect starts, and what you prefer attacking with if it all goes well. Thank you for sharing!

Hey newish player here, was wondering if you could explain a bit about your deck. How do you set it up, your perfect starts, and what you prefer attacking with if it all goes well. Thank you for sharing!
Set up: get some malamar in play, get a dawn wings with psychic energy, an ultra necrozma with a choice band and a metal energy, and altar of the moone.

perfect starts: start ultra necrozma, have 2 inkay in hand, metal energy, ultra ball, 2 psychic energy, cynthia into altar, another psychic, some malamar and maybe a guzma or two. (extremely unlikely)

attacking: ultra necrozma, dawn wings necrozma (depends on matchup)

Thank you Shaymin, helps me understand it a lot more. The thing I get most confused about when playing this deck is when it comes to discarding, do you try to throw away some psychics at the start ideally? Either way loving this deck so far!

Thank you Shaymin, helps me understand it a lot more. The thing I get most confused about when playing this deck is when it comes to discarding, do you try to throw away some psychics at the start ideally? Either way loving this deck so far!

Hi Phantazard,

In my optinion the ideal start is to discard some Psychic Energy cards with Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure to set up Malamar and to use Lillie turn one to refill the hand.

Back