Discussion Ultra Necrozma: Dark Horse Threat

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/01/ultra-necrozma-gx-from-sm6-forbidden-light

It's not a game-breaking card, but I don't think players are taking it seriously, or respect it's damage output for a single discard, especially in Standard where the meta is mostly based around 2HKO decks and slower, less consistent OHKO'ers, which are generally Stage 2 decks.

As for it's main attack, Photon Geyser does 20 plus 80 for every attached basic Psychic Energy discarded. You can attach a Metal or a Unit Energy LPM for that part of the attack requirement and use Max Elixir for the Psychics. With one Psychic you have 100. With Choice Band that becomes 130, and with Devoured Field 140. If you used Beast Energy Prism Star it hits a nice 170. You're unlikely to hit that big number as early as this attack can be used as you only have one Beast Energy, but it makes for a respectable boost when you finally do attach it.

Getting the first turn attack obviously isn't practical, but a Float Stone or Guzma can help switch your active, and if you choose to add Mew FCO it's free retreat can help if it ends up active, and it can copy Photon Geyser if you decide to attach to it.

Acceleration is where it gets tricky, although it isn't too bad; you have Lunala Prism Star as your best option, with Rayquaza GUR or Shining Mew as the main acceleration. Shining Mew isn't too bad a choice as some may choose to take the easy prize on it rather than drag up the actual threat.

Theory-wise, this card should function better than the other OHKO decks in Standard (Vika/Bulu, Metal variants, possibly Gardevoir) because you don't have to devote space and deal with the inherent inconsistency of evolution lines, which leaves room for extra disruption or deck thinning cards that those decks can't fit. The other popular meta decks, such as Zoroark and Buzzwole can't hit Ultra Necrozma for OHKO numbers (at least not consistently) which gives it time to set up in their faces, though they have more lenient Energy costs on the reverse side.

Expanded adds a few options: Battle Compressor helps to put Energies in the discard for later acceleration, Hydreigon EX gives UN free retreat while a Stadium is in play, and a few Hypnotoxic Lasers can be added for a bit more damage.

I don't see this as being a top-tier deck, of course, and I know it's bit early to mention this with SM6 only having a couple of cards revealed, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some players think and they should keep it in mind going forward.

I think it's pretty good. A few combinations come to mind, an obvious combination for standard would be Ultra Necrozma-GX + Metagross-GX. Yes, you have to get a stage 2 Pokémon on your field, but the Geotech System Ability works perfect with Photon Geyser. Not only does it retrieve both Metal and Psychic Energy, it also attaches it to the Pokémon that needs it the most, your active Ultra Necrozma-GX.

Another combination that isn't so obvious is Ultra Necrozma + M-Alakazam EX. A lot of players forget how good placing damage counters is instead of just doing damage. It bypasses a lot of effects like damage reduction. M-Alakazam-EX does not only help damage spread with kinesis, it can instantly K.O. any Pokémon after Light of Destruction has been used. Another plus, both can be searched with Mystery Treasure.

However both decks rely on abilities... Alakazam not as much as Metagross. But the fact that Ligt of Destruction can only be used after the remaining total of prize cards is 6 or less doesn't help in the slightest. I'm more concerend about Naganadel-GX making its entry. That Pokémon has crazy attacks and can be combined with a lot of different Ultra Beasts.

Thoughts on Mew from SL as an early game accelerator? A single prize “attacker” in which in the early game, it can set up your board state and make it a 7 prize game. I think this may be a good way to set up with Lele and Brigette turn one, especially if you go second. Against Buzzwole or other attackers which only require one energy to start hitting big numbers, this can set up for a turn two knock out. From there, Metagross GX could help accelerate the energy to keep the flow going.

Still trying to figure out a way to get Mew into a competitive deck ad this is where it could shine.

Thoughts on Mew from SL as an early game accelerator? A single prize “attacker” in which in the early game, it can set up your board state and make it a 7 prize game. I think this may be a good way to set up with Lele and Brigette turn one, especially if you go second. Against Buzzwole or other attackers which only require one energy to start hitting big numbers, this can set up for a turn two knock out. From there, Metagross GX could help accelerate the energy to keep the flow going.

Still trying to figure out a way to get Mew into a competitive deck ad this is where it could shine.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the main post. (Mew SL= Shining Mew)

The main problem with it isn't really the card itself, more that right now, the card is a weak 30 HP Basic that costs as much cash as a Zoroark GX or Buzzwole GX, which are actual proven decks.

https://shop.tcgplayer.com/pokemon/shining-legends/shining-mew

Back