• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Turtonator GX / Volcanion EX (V1.0)

Firewyn

Aspiring Trainer
Hello again Pokebeachers!

I have another decklist that I'm currently playtesting. Volcanion has been one of my go to pokemon for deck ideas, and when Turtonator GX came out Guardians Rising, I feel they fit together very nicely!
At this current moment, the decklist currently isn't doing as well as my Tapu Koko GX decklist (discussion and decklist in SIG), but it does play decent when it draws properly.

Here's the current decklist as it stands now:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Turtonator-GX GRI 148
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Staryu BKP 25
* 1 Starmie EVO 31
* 4 Volcanion-EX PR-XY XY173

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 2 Switch EVO 88
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Kiawe BUS 144
* 1 Escape Rope BUS 114
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 4 Scorched Earth FAC 110
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Mallow GRI 145
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Energy Reset FAC 98

##Energy - 14

* 14 Fire Energy

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Currently, I feel even though Ho-oh GX does help the water-type matchup (Lapras, Alolan Ninetails GX...), I feel it's too clunky and I have decided to not play it in the deck. I feel I play too many Turtonator GX, maybe switching one of them with something that might help.
Another thought I had was to go with either a 1-1 line of "Abyssal Hand" Octillery, or just stick with Oranguru...

I feel it can be more polished, any ideas and suggestions???

Your decks has a lot of good pieces, but the card counts need some heavy tuning. Here are the changes I would make.

-2 Turtonator GX(You don't need 4 Turtonator's in this deck.)
-1 Oranguru(You don't have the bench space, and you have a non EX/GX attacker.)
-1 Volcanion EX(4 Volcanion's aren't required with so many other attackers.)
-1 Super Rod(You want energies in the discard in the discard, and you run a Rescue Stretcher.)
-1 Escape Rope(Switch is a better card, and you shouldn't need more than 2 with 3 Guzma's.)
-4 Scorched Earth(Brooklet Hill is way better for setting up which this deck needs.)
-1 Mallow(Without Scorched Earth this isn't a great card.)
-1 Energy Reset(Without Skyla this is way to situational.)

+3 Volcanion(This card is key to setting up.)
+1 Ho Oh GX(Ho Oh helps the water matchup, and it helps you hit the biggest numbers.)
+1 Tapu Lele GX(If you have another one run it.)
+1 Field Blower(Some decks are running 3 now, but 2 is kind of a requirement.)
+1 Max Elixir(4 will help accelerate energies much faster.)
+3 Brooklet Hill(Helps setup faster.)
+1 N(4 N and 4 Sycamore are staples in most decks now including Volcanion.)

Here is my decklist if you need some more ideas. I hope this helps.

Pokemon: 11

1 Turtonator GX
3 Volcanion EX
1 Staryu
1 Starmie
2 Tapu Lele GX
3 Volcanion
1 Ho Oh GX

Trainers: 35

Items
2 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Choice Band
1 Fighting Fury Belt
4 Max Elixir
1 Switch

Supporters
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
1 Kiawe
3 Guzma
2 Lillie

Stadiums

3 Brooklet Hill

Energy: 14

14 Fire Energy

Adi,

Question, what would a ideal first turn be? what do you want to set up first, what do you look for

@Firewyn - Following are a few thoughts for your consideration:
-1 Staryu - not really needed
-1 Starmie- not really needed
-1 Volcanion EX - 3 should be sufficient
-1 Switch - with 5 other "switching" cards, a 6th seems excessive

+1 Tapu Lele GX - to enhance your chances of a T1 Kiawe
+1 Field Blower - needed, especially in Garbodor match-ups
+2 Volcanion, Energy Retrieval and/or Fisherman

I only run 3 Stadiums which works for me; so, also consider trimming your Stadium count to 3 and replace the 4th Scorched Earth with either a Delinquent (opponent's hand disruption), a Fighting Fury Belt, another N, a Parallel City (opponent's bench disruption or removal of unneeded/unwanted Pokemon from your bench) or a Sophocles.

I do run 1 Ho-Oh GX as another, supplemental attacker. It has been quite useful.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

@Adi - Note that the OP posted a Turtonator-Volcanion deck list in which presumably Turtonator GX is/should be the main attacker. Your spoiler deck list does not seem to address this particular focus, IMO.

Last edited:
Adi,

Question, what would a ideal first turn be? what do you want to set up first, what do you look for

An ideal first turn would be to get Volcanion as your attacker. You also want to get out a Brooklet Hill leading to a Volcanion EX or Staryu. Another thing you need is 1 or 2 Fire Energies in the discard. This may seem like a lot, but I can pull it off a lot of the time. Ideally you want to get a Ho Oh or Turtonator down, but if you don't it's not a huge deal.

Adi,

For a Turtonator-Volcanion deck, you ideally want to start with a Turtonator GX and play a Kiawe T1. Immediate pressure with a high probability you're taking prize(s) on your next turn.

I would add a few Baby Volcanion and a Ho-oh.

I know you're not keen on Ho-oh, but baby Volcs can attack and accelerate energies from the discard. Plus, I think three Turtonator GX and three Volcanion EX (I run 2x Turt/3x Volc) is more than enough fire power. A first turn Kiawe on Ho-oh is just as good as on Turtonator. I run Staryu/Starmie as well. They're useful for Ultra Ball bait (at worst) and if you can play them, decent for getting Energies in hand.

I run three Brooklet Hills, but after one, they become more of a counter for stadiums opponents play. Then you can use Field Blowers for other things. So that's why you should have two Field Blowers too. Also I'd get rid of that Escape Rope for a Fighting Fury Belt, It really helps any of your EX/GX Pokemon tank hits.

+2x Volcanion
+1x Ho-oh
+1x Field Blower
+3x Brooklet Hill
+1x Fighting Fury Belt

-1x Turtonator GX
-1x Volcanion EX
-1x Oranguru
-1x Escape Rope
-1x Rescue Stretcher
-3x Scorching Earth (I actually haven't tested these myself yet so maybe just remove 2 for 2x Brooklet Hill)

Back