• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Trevenant Break/Mismagius

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey everybody, here is my Trevenant Break deck. I have decided to try out a new version of Trevenant Break that includes Mismagius (CRI) to deny Special Energy (which gets a lot of use in Expanded). Here's the list!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Misdreavus CIN 39
* 2 Mismagius CIN 40
* 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66
* 4 Phantump BKP 64
* 4 Trevenant XY 55
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Colress PLS 118
* 1 Brigette BKT 124
* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 2 Wally ROS 94
* 1 N DEX 96
* 4 Dimension Valley PHF 93
* 3 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Team Flare Grunt GEN 73
* 1 Xerosic PHF 110
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Red Card GEN 71
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 3 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

##Energy - 9

* 5 Psychic Energy XYEnergy 8
* 4 Mystery Energy PHF 112

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Some things that I'd like to find room for would be... Well, I haven't found many techs besides the 2-2 Mismagius (CRI) line that could find a place in here. So, if you find anything that I missed in my list or a cool new idea, just let me know, I'd appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's what I think, cut 1 wally because you already have the Trainer's Mail, Ultra Balls, Leles, and other Wallys to almost garuntee a first turn lock. Besides, you only really need to use wally twice with Trevenant, right? With the empty spot, I would add a Crushing Hammer.

Level balls and jirachi are a must for first turn trev. Why wouf you ever use choice band in a deck that doesnt deal direct damage. Bursting balloons or rescue scarf are the best choice for tools. Doesn't matter though cuz tons of decks are playing zoroark to some capacity which will wipe the floor with trev

Alright, so after some extensive research, I have discovered that I was off by about a mile (not surprising). After looking at some past lists and reading some of your advice, I've updated the original list.

Here's what I think, cut 1 wally because you already have the Trainer's Mail, Ultra Balls, Leles, and other Wallys to almost garuntee a first turn lock. Besides, you only really need to use wally twice with Trevenant, right? With the empty spot, I would add a Crushing Hammer.

I agree with taking out the 3rd Wally, but I decided to take out the energy denial (besides Head Ringer, Mismagius, Team Flare Grunt, and Xerosic) due to most energy in Expanded requires just one energy (like Seismitoad EX, Night March, etc.) or the deck is energy acceleration (Turbo Turtles, Gardevoir GX, etc.). I'll test how it goes in comparison to the Crushing/Enhanced Hammer lines.

Level balls and jirachi are a must for first turn trev. Why wouf you ever use choice band in a deck that doesnt deal direct damage. Bursting balloons or rescue scarf are the best choice for tools. Doesn't matter though cuz tons of decks are playing zoroark to some capacity which will wipe the floor with trev

Keep in mind that I haven't played Trevenant or ever knew popular lists (not to mention that my experience is mainly in Standard). Jirachi seems a little out of date at the moment (due to Tapu Lele GX), though I do like the Level Ball engine, I only run one. This makes the 90 HP Jirachi diminish in value compared to Tapu Lele GX (which is a Pokémon I can attach Mystery Energy to retreat when stuck in the active or can attack with if needed). I was trying to find room for Choice Band since I though that Tree Slam would be the more important attack since I can TwoHKO any Pokémon EX/GX with 180 HP if I have Choice Band while applying chip damage to the bench. I do understand your point about Bursting Balloons though, and I believe that is the better choice. Since Zoroark GX is popular at the moment, I will have to either wait until Fighting types take over or try to come up with a counter. My best option would be the CRI Mismagius since none of the Zoroark decks play anything but Special Energy (not to mention Pokémon Ranger). I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Hey bud, you forgot the Ace Spec

Yeah, I know. I don't have any playable Ace Specs (unless you'd like to add in a Life Dew), so until I get a worthy one, I'll have to use something else. I'm assuming that Computer Search (which is the hardest one to get at the moment) would be the one for Trevenant, but Dowsing Machine isn't bad either.

Thanks for the advice everyone, let me know what you think about the new list. Thanks!

Since this is an expanded deck that stops your opponent from using items i think that ghetsis would be a must have at least with one maybe even two. It could pull some big numbers for extra draw support. Another think. At some point once the new item lock luxio is out this deck seems like it would kinda be beaten by a better version since shinx can evolve first turn and your item lock is not an ability that can potentially be shut down by hex maniac and or garbodor. So i wouldnt worry to much about using this deck for much longer because i think that luxio will be an amazing and used deck in the standard format but even more used in the expanded format

Since this is an expanded deck that stops your opponent from using items i think that ghetsis would be a must have at least with one maybe even two. It could pull some big numbers for extra draw support. Another think. At some point once the new item lock luxio is out this deck seems like it would kinda be beaten by a better version since shinx can evolve first turn and your item lock is not an ability that can potentially be shut down by hex maniac and or garbodor. So i wouldnt worry to much about using this deck for much longer because i think that luxio will be an amazing and used deck in the standard format but even more used in the expanded format

With Ghetsis, I'd rather go turn one Wally or have my opponent pile up cards in their hand. I know that Ghetsis will draw a lot of cards, but that leaves an oppertunity for my opponent to use cards like Shaymin EX to hope for a new card (since Shaymin EX is useless if your hand is above six cards). Hex Maniac is usually a short-lived opportunity for your opponent as they can use Items for only one turn and there own Abilities are shut off as well, so cards like Shaymin EX are useless.

Good point, but in Expanded, Seismitoad EX/Seviper outclasses Luxio since Seismitoad EX has 180 HP, is a basic, and only needs a DCE to get going. If I were to play Item Lock in Expanded, Trevenant Break (since it is Psychic type, it hits weakness on Garbodor decks and shuts Garbotoxin off way earlier then they can set up due to Wally) or Seismitoad EX/Seviper (as mentioned above). Luxio seems like it would do much better in Standard since the format is a lot slower then Expanded where Luxio would get outpaced. Then again, we'll probably have to wait and see, maybe Luxio will prove it is better than Trevenant and Seismitoad EX.

I too run a Trevenant deck in Expanded format games. Following are a few thoughts for your consideration:

What is the point of having a 1-1 Mismagius line which is somewhat inconsistent in setting up, does not seem to compliment the deck strategy and is an easy 1HKO prize?

Why no Wobbuffet (Bide Barricade) and Necrozma GX?

I run 3 Wally which I've found to provide a very highly consistent T1 Item-lock (along with 2 Tapu Lele GX, 1 Jirachi EX, 3 Trainer's Mail and 4 Ultra Ball).

Your card-draw support (2 N and 3 Professor Sycamore) seems woefully insufficient, IMO. Why no Colress??

No ACE Spec?? I'd suggest Computer Search.

IMO, 1 Head Ringer is really insignificant, especially with all the GX Pokémon now.

Bursting Balloon don't really matter, IMO. The attached Balloon is only temporary and opponents may still incur the damage for better game and/or board position. Also, opponents can easily Lysandre and/or Guzma around your active Pokémon with the attached Balloon.

1 Xerosic seems excessive given the 2 TF Grunt and the 1 Field Blower.

1 Lysandre is insufficient, IMO. What if you your lone 1 is prized?

Why no Brigette? This would be more helpful than the lone Level Ball, IMO.

Silen Lab is really not needed, IMO; Dimension Valley is the preferred Stadium for this deck. By the way, Parallel City could be a consideration should you want/need to remove your EX/GX(s) from your bench.

IMO, 7 energy are also insufficient.
What is the strategy of your deck?

Dark decks are very tough to beat and will have, IMO, an auto-loss. Any thoughts on how to deal with those decks?

I too run a Trevenant deck in Expanded format games. Following are a few thoughts for your consideration:

What is the point of having a 1-1 Mismagius line which is somewhat inconsistent in setting up, does not seem to compliment the deck strategy and is an easy 1HKO prize?

Why no Wobbuffet (Bide Barricade) and Necrozma GX?

I run 3 Wally which I've found to provide a very highly consistent T1 Item-lock (along with 2 Tapu Lele GX, 1 Jirachi EX, 3 Trainer's Mail and 4 Ultra Ball).

Your card-draw support (2 N and 3 Professor Sycamore) seems woefully insufficient, IMO. Why no Colress??

No ACE Spec?? I'd suggest Computer Search.

IMO, 1 Head Ringer is really insignificant, especially with all the GX Pokémon now.

Bursting Balloon don't really matter, IMO. The attached Balloon is only temporary and opponents may still incur the damage for better game and/or board position. Also, opponents can easily Lysandre and/or Guzma around your active Pokémon with the attached Balloon.

1 Xerosic seems excessive given the 2 TF Grunt and the 1 Field Blower.

1 Lysandre is insufficient, IMO. What if you your lone 1 is prized?

Why no Brigette? This would be more helpful than the lone Level Ball, IMO.

Silen Lab is really not needed, IMO; Dimension Valley is the preferred Stadium for this deck. By the way, Parallel City could be a consideration should you want/need to remove your EX/GX(s) from your bench.

IMO, 7 energy are also insufficient.
What is the strategy of your deck?

Dark decks are very tough to beat and will have, IMO, an auto-loss. Any thoughts on how to deal with those decks?

So, here are my thoughts on your suggestions...

1. I play a 1-1 Mismagius line due to Zoroark GX being a big contender in most of the decks in Expanded nowadays, so since Trevenant is weak to darkness, Mismagius is my counter. Something I've noticed about Zoroark GX decks in general is that they only play Special Energy, which means that if I can get Mismagius out before they attach any energy (which, even if they do, I have Enhanced Hammer, Xerosic, etc.), I win. Wally can search for the evolution if I need it to.

2. Wobbuffet is interesting, maybe I can find room for one (Item lock with Trevenant is more powerful, but a one of would be nice). I would only play Necrozma if I had DCE in my deck, so I'd have to find room for DCE first.

3. Three Wally seems (at least to me) one to many, but I may be able to throw in a Jirachi EX. I'll try it out anyways though so I get an idea of what your talking about.

4. I play a low draw support since I play VS Seeker, but I could try throwing a Colress since I can take advantage of (opponent's) Zoroark GX banking off benched Pokémon.

5. I don't play an Ace Spec because... the only one I have is Life Dew. I would love to play Computer Search, but until I get one, I won't play an Ace Spec at all (though Life Dew isn't that bad).

6. I agree, I will remove it for something for sure. It hasn't helped at all, so I might as well replace it with something else.

7. If you don't think I should play Bursting Balloon, what do you think I would play? Rescue Scarf, Choice Band, maybe something else?

8. I like the Xerosic in here since it discard Special Energy; I don't have to use immediately, I just like having the option to VS Seeker for it. Tools aren't really a target with Xerosic since I have Item Lock, so between discarding Stadiums (Field Blower) and Special Energy (Xerosic), I'd prefer the Special Energy.

9. One Lysandre is sufficient in my opinion since this deck focuses on spread damage. If I do prize Lysandre, it isn't really a big deal, but I can understand your point. It hasn't really been a problem for me.

10. The one Level Ball has been helpful, but Brigette does grab a lot more and since Trevenant does slow the game down, I may have time to use a Supporter like Brigette. I'll try it out.

11. I'll try playing the fourth Dimension Valley, I have been having trouble with energy, so another Dimension Valley would help with consistency. Silent Lab is like Wobbuffet that I can have along with Item Lock (Trevenant in the active), so another level of disruption is nice.

12. As I mentioned above, I've had trouble with energy so I wouldn't mind another Psychic or Mystery Energy. I do think another Super Rod would be nice so I can recycle more Trevenants.

My strategy mainly consistent of the old way of playing Trevenant with new cards thrown in. It is a little inconsistent, so I would like to remove as much of that as possible. The obvious turn one Trevenant is mandatory, trying to bench another Phantump that turn would be nice as well. Since the game at that point has become a lot slower due to Item Lock, I can just slowly build up an army of Trevenants while attaching energy. So, changes I'm going to make would be...

-1 Level Ball: This is foe Brigette, as mentioned above.
-1 Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear: As I mentioned above, it isn't helpful at all so taking it out would be preferred.
-1 Field Blower: Mentioned under Xerosic.
-1 Silent Lab: Mentioned under Dimension Valley.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 Brigette
+1 Psychic Energy
+1 Super Rod
+1 Dimension Valley

Let me know what you think, I appreciate the advice @TuxedoBlack, thanks!

...Let me know what you think, I appreciate the advice @TuxedoBlack, thanks!
In regards to your specific points:
1. Should you even get a chance to counter an opponent's 1st Zoroark GX, his/her 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th Zoroark GX will surely easily 1HKO your Mismagius before you'll have a chance to reuse it effectively. So, is it really that helpful? Lastly, all decks will usually have at least 1 bad match-up; Dark decks will be yours...

2. Should you ever start with the designated Wobbuffet, it can potentially disrupt your opponent's setup should he/she rely upon non-Psychic Abilities. In addition, its Psychic Assault can really leverage the damage spread and attack for just 1 Psychic (when Dimension Valley is in play).

5. For testing purposes, consider using a proxy for Computer Search. should you find that you prefer that particular ACE Spec over Life Dew, then perhaps you could possibly trade for or borrow a Computer Search for tournament play.

7. I'd suggest adding 2 Mysterious and another P energy to replace the Bursting Balloons.

11. instead of a 4th Dimension Valley, have you considered using Lusamine or Delinquent?

I hope you find these additional comments helpful as well.

In regards to your specific points:
1. Should you even get a chance to counter an opponent's 1st Zoroark GX, his/her 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th Zoroark GX will surely easily 1HKO your Mismagius before you'll have a chance to reuse it effectively. So, is it really that helpful? Lastly, all decks will usually have at least 1 bad match-up; Dark decks will be yours...

2. Should you ever start with the designated Wobbuffet, it can potentially disrupt your opponent's setup should he/she rely upon non-Psychic Abilities. In addition, its Psychic Assault can really leverage the damage spread and attack for just 1 Psychic (when Dimension Valley is in play).

5. For testing purposes, consider using a proxy for Computer Search. should you find that you prefer that particular ACE Spec over Life Dew, then perhaps you could possibly trade for or borrow a Computer Search for tournament play.

7. I'd suggest adding 2 Mysterious and another P energy to replace the Bursting Balloons.

11. instead of a 4th Dimension Valley, have you considered using Lusamine or Delinquent?

I hope you find these additional comments helpful as well.

Here are my thoughts on these points...

1. The reason I'm playing Mismagius (CRI) is because they can't attack with Zoroark GX if I use Chaos Wheel (they won't be able to attach DCE to any Zoroark GX, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) due to the amount of Special Energy they play (which is almost all of what they include in decks that run Zoroark GX like Night March or Lycanroc GX). The moment I get Mismagius out to attack, I win because they have no way around Special Energy lock. Turbo Dark is my worst nightmare, but I know there isn't really much I can do about it. Every deck has its weaknesses and there isn't any point in trying to counter them (though I have been thinking of using the new Blend Energy from ULP {the [P], [M], [L] version} in Trevenant and throwing in a Jolteon EX since I can use both the Lighting and Psychic part of the energy ;)).

2. I do like Wobbuffet overall, so I will definitely consider finding room for it. The list of techs is pretty large though including Espeon EX, Necrozma GX, Wobbuffet, Mimikyu, etc.

5. Will do, I'm still missing a few of the cards anyways so testing with a proxy Computer Search wouldn't hurt anything. Finding someone whose willing to trade a Computer Search is a different matter though.

7. I'll try it out, Bursting Balloons have been helpful, but I wouldn't mind comparing the two options to see which is better.

11. Lusamine is a card I've considered as well as Deliquent, but I don't find them necessary. I will definitely try them out, but I would rather just play a Dimension Valley in place of those cards.

Thanks you for the feedback, I will definitely try out some of these suggestions and update everyone on how they work. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Alright, so after reading Zachary Lesage's article on Seismitoad EX/Giratina EX (here is a link if you haven't read it yet), I have to agree with his Special Energy lock taking out a lot of decks in Expanded. Therefore, I do believe that Mismagius (CRI) has a place in Trevenant Break (which gives me a few auto-wins against decks that normally I would have a 50/50 chance of winning against). After working out matchups against today's top contenders for Expanded (like Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX), I have dramatically changed my list to better suit most popular decks. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions, thanks!

Edit: Just added a Computer Search (that I don't have) instead of a Trainers' Mail just so people don't throw a fit when they don't see an Ace Spec in the list. ;)

Last edited:
Back