Discussion Trevenant BREAK Discussion Thread

What are your thoughts on including weakness policy in this deck? I think that don't really hurt it consistency and helps a lot against dark matchups... maybe something like 3 ballon - 2 weakness

Weakness Policy conflicts with Burst Balloon. You still want the extra damage in the Darkness match more than the zero weakness on Trevenant.

Weakness Policy conflicts with Burst Balloon. You still want the extra damage in the Darkness match more than the zero weakness on Trevenant.

I think it really helps, but let's do math:

Trev Break with weakness policy stands:
  • 6 Unmuscled oblivion wing = 6 turns of silent fear = 180 damage
  • 4 Muscled oblivion wing = 4 turns of silent fear = 120 damage
  • 2 Unmuscled oblivion wing + one evil ball of 4 energy in both pokemon = 3 turns of silent fear = 90 damage
  • 1 Muscled oblivion wing + one muscled evil ball of 4 energy in both pokemon = 2 turns of silent fear = 60 damage
  • Mind Jack is circunstancial so i'll not refer to it, but you can easily control the damage being careful with your bench
So, in THE WORST SCENARIO, Trev Break without weakness will give you 2 turns of damage spread, needing just one more silent fear to be capable of knock out every single pokemon on your opponent bench with wobbu, also keeping your burst ballon for the late game. On the other hand, IN THE BEST SCENARIO you'll be capable of knock out even an Yveltal ex only attacking with one or two Trev Break.

Trev Break without weakness policy stands:
  • 3 Unmuscled oblivion wing = 3 turns of silent fear = 90 damage
  • 2 muscled oblivion wing = 2 turns of silent fear = 60 damage
  • 1 unmuscled oblivion wing + one unmuscled evil ball = 2 turns of silent fear = 60 damage
  • 1 muscled oblivion wing + every single othe atack of YZG = 2 turns of silent fear = 60 damage
  • 1 evil ball, 1 pitch black spear, etc...
So, without weakness policy, your best scenario is having 3 turns of your Trev Break alive, but appearing as the most likely of you having to promote a Trev Break every two turns to maintain the lock and the damage spread. This situation, even with the damage output bonus that gives 4 burst ballon seems very clunky, difficult to maintain and also very easy for your opponent to play around, he can choose when or not attack, and your burst ballon will end hitting mostly baby yveltal or in the discard pile because of the pressure on promoting new trevs.

In my opinion, including weakness policy in this deck is a must and also something very easy to accomplish with a little work on the list and spaces, taking care on not affect the consistency of the essential strategy.

I've been trying to find a good Standard deck that might counter Trevenant (since I'm going to be going to States in a few weeks), but I'm at a loss for options. What do you suggest I might practice with?

Why only run 1 fright night Yveltal then? I'd run either a 2-2 line of Yveltal with an addition of 2 Yveltal EX. OR you can run a 3-3 line of them, but I think 3 Fright Night Yveltal is useless.

What are your thoughts on including weakness policy in this deck? I think that don't really hurt it consistency and helps a lot against dark matchups... maybe something like 3 ballon - 2 weakness

Please don't assume an opponent would attack that particular Trevenant with an attached Bursting Balloon - the opponent could Lysandre around it or wait till next turn possibly to attack after the Bursting Balloon is removed. Weakness Policy at least remains attached continuing to provide protection beyond the 1 turn.

I've been trying to find a good Standard deck that might counter Trevenant (since I'm going to be going to States in a few weeks), but I'm at a loss for options. What do you suggest I might practice with?
Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX based decks are the bane of Trevenant decks, IMO, in most cases.

Last edited:
Please don't assume an opponent would attack that particular Trevenant with an attached Bursting Balloon - the opponent could Lysandre around it or wait till next turn possibly to attack after the Bursting Balloon is removed. Weakness Policy at least remains attached continuing to provide protection beyond the 1 turn.

Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX based are the bane of Trevenant decks, IMO, in most cases.

I do not assume that the opponent attacks when Burst Balloon is attached. I case they resist to attack you have another turn of silent fear. Otherwise you hit them for 6 damage counters in return. It is a win-win scenario. While you can Lysandre around Burst Balloon it will use your supporter for that turn and the same can be said about Weakness Policy. Do not get me wrong. Weakness Policy is a great card but the fact that it remains attached to Trevenant Break and disables the use of Burst Balloons turns me down.

I'm a huge proponent of not building or modifying your deck around one deck that your weak against. It's not like your going to go into state and run against 6 rounds of dark decks. If you do, then that's extremely unlucky, but if/when you don't, but you built your deck around dark, you're now stuck with cards in your deck that are useless and pointless to have. The biggest thing for me is building a deck that is consistant with how I want it to play. After that you practice against those decks that you're weak against so you know how to change your deck strategy up to beat those decks.

I'm a huge proponent of not building or modifying your deck around one deck that your weak against. It's not like your going to go into state and run against 6 rounds of dark decks. If you do, then that's extremely unlucky, but if/when you don't, but you built your deck around dark, you're now stuck with cards in your deck that are useless and pointless to have. The biggest thing for me is building a deck that is consistant with how I want it to play. After that you practice against those decks that you're weak against so you know how to change your deck strategy up to beat those decks.

Well, what deck do you think I should play in Standard? I keep changing my mind about it, and States is only a few weeks away. I'm so worried about Trevenant. I've just recently come back, so I don't really know what's in my local meta. Seems like anything goes.

I just played a Trev Break of my own at Missouri states yesterday. I ran 2 Weakness Policy thinking I would face a ton of Dark decks. After 5 rounds, I never even faced one!! I did okay, but Night March was still a pain. I hit a lot of Manectric deck variants. The toughest match was against a Ho-Oh deck that also ran a lot of other EXs. Well placed Lysnadre's basically null and voided my Trevs.

There's a ton of good decks out there, but that's based on matchups. Really any deck you run will be good depending on what deck you go against. The safest bet, IMO, is night march with Vespiquen. Only because you now have the ability to attack with an electric, grass or psychic to hit for weakness against a lot of other decks. But again, everything is dependant on matchup. I'd say choose a deck you play well with and stick to it. There's no deck out there that's a for sure win all. The reason people win with certain decks and you or I don't is because they adapt to the game as it's being played and change what they need to change to win.

I just played a Trev Break of my own at Missouri states yesterday. I ran 2 Weakness Policy thinking I would face a ton of Dark decks. After 5 rounds, I never even faced one!! I did okay, but Night March was still a pain. I hit a lot of Manectric deck variants. The toughest match was against a Ho-Oh deck that also ran a lot of other EXs. Well placed Lysnadre's basically null and voided my Trevs.

I hope this is true. I can't WAIT for someone to use Jolteon EX or something that my Zoroark Break can feed off of and completely ruin their day.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a ton of good decks out there, but that's based on matchups. Really any deck you run will be good depending on what deck you go against. The safest bet, IMO, is night march with Vespiquen. Only because you now have the ability to attack with an electric, grass or psychic to hit for weakness against a lot of other decks. But again, everything is dependant on matchup. I'd say choose a deck you play well with and stick to it. There's no deck out there that's a for sure win all. The reason people win with certain decks and you or I don't is because they adapt to the game as it's being played and change what they need to change to win.

Night March with Vespiquen? I'm not sure how those would go well together and still be consistent. Vespiquen I know, and Night March I know *very* well, but the two together? Well...Show me and I think I can do it.

Back