Discussion Trevenant BREAK Discussion Thread

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
I stopped playing around 2013, and Trevenant Break seems like a fun thing to hop back in with. Anything I should know about the game in general and cards that have fun/nice synergy with that card?

Hi Vitiel,

Here is a list of trainers that work well in Trevenant Break decks other than the standard four Sycamore:
  • Delinquent (occational stadium counter and hand disruption)
  • Lysandre (control and disruption combined in one)
  • Teammates (love this card in spread decks)
  • Judge (shuffle draw and hand disruption)
  • Wally (two for the T1 Trevenant)
  • AZ (for Shaymin Ex)
  • Battle Compressor (instant access to discarded supporters with Vs Seeker and thins the deck. Great card indeed)
  • Burst Balloon (hit the attacker for 6 damage counters while item locked is nice)
  • Eco Arm (retrieve Burst Balloon since it is a one-turn use tool)
Here are some selected Pokémon that work well with Trevenant Break:
  • Trevenant XY1 (item lock is much better than the instant Head Ringer for basics on the XY9 version)
  • Phantump XY9 (being able to evolve into Trevenant on his own makes the deck competitive)
  • Shaymin Ex (2-3 to have a stable draw engine)

Depending on whether you want to run Trevenant Break on its own or combined with other Pokémon here are some decent option:
  • Aegislash XY9 line (double the amount of damage counters placed with Trevenant Break is nice)
  • Dusknoir BCR line (move around damage counters placed with Trevenant Break to ko key Pokémon)

Personally Iprefer mono Trevenant as a competitive deck since it has a less problematic Darkness matchup than the other two versions. Be sure to check the Deck Garage forum for example lists on different Trevenant decks and the Metagame Deck Discussion forum for hints on which decks are popular at the moment.

Here are some videos you may like:

Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Moved from the TCG Help & Advice to the TCG Competitive Play as the thread is a topic that has discussion potential better suited in the Competitive Play. ~bbninjas

I've recently started playing this and it's probably the most fun I've had this format. I love spread decks!

• I like using Espeon EX as a 1-of, as it can cause some havoc for Mega decks with Startling Megaphone, and you can easily put enough damage on Non-mega evolutions to take multiple KOs at once with it... all for zero Energy with D. Valley! I personally like how it can turn a 4 turn snipe KO into a 3 turn KO on Zoroark, other Trevenant, Milotic, sometimes Vespiquen, etc.
  • Trevenant BKP is worth it as a one-of I feel. It throws a wrench in Night March and Seismitoad variants (I have had almost zero trouble against these decks simply because of this Trevenant's ability). It can also stall against an opponent who starts with Baby Yveltal and gives you some time to evolve, find a Bursting Balloon, or a Weakness Policy if you tech one.
  • Wobbuffet PHF. Can retreat for free with Mystery Energy, shuts down stuff like Zoroark, Gallade, Shaymin, Milotic and Octillery, and its attack rules in spread decks IMO! It usually only takes 2 or 3 Silent Fears to get most Pokemon halfway KO'd, and If your Trevenant goes down you can send up a Wobbuffet to clean up (Be careful against Metal and Dark Types though, their resistance can mess up the math.)
  • Delinquent is definitely necessary, as Rough Seas completely nullifies whatever damage Trevenant Break does. I play 1 but I almost want to run 2. If you can punish them for playing Seas you can hopefully get a turn or two before they find another one to put out.
  • Flare Grunt is also a nice option IMO. Ho-Oh/MegaMan decks have been running rampant on PTCGO lately and Flare Grunt can knock off the fire energies they use to heal. Flare grunt can also help keep certain Pokemon at bay for a bit longer if you have BKP Trevenant out front.
  • A fun 1-of I like to use now and then is Shrine of Memories. It's probably not the most competitive idea, but it's a nice backup stadium IMO. If you encounter a situation where you have Trevenant out but you can't Tree Slam or find a Break to evolve, you can use Phantump's Ascension with Shrine to evolve into the Break. It can also get you a turn 1 Break if you used a Wally first turn. Even if you don't play it, try and at least keep in mind this utility against decks that do, like M Mewtwo!
  • Last but not least, Target Whistle is a fun thing to consider, but I temporarily removed it from my deck because it kept getting Ultra Ball/Sycamored early game (honestly, part of the reason I'm excited for N's return!). Pull up a Joltik, Shaymin, or any other tiny basic and just set up more prizes!

1-of Breakpoint Trevenant is a good idea, I think. I'm putting it with Wobbuffet and Absol ROS, just for the easy counter-move. Silent Fear + Absol + Wobbuffet can OHKO a Shaymin!

What are the weaknesses and strengths of each variant? At the moment I'm eyeing mono or Aegislash.

Trevenant / Wobbuffet is a lot easier to setup then 2 stage 2 lines. The issue with EX's or anything that drops the lock makes it very easy for people to out play you. For instance, Wobbuffet locks Abilities and Trevenant locks Items. If you openly attack with an EX or something else that is not locking your opponent, it gives them more possibilities for cards they can play. Wobbuffet also does the same thing that Aegislash does, except the turn after you attack, it gives your opponent options to setup with some very powerful game winning hands, so against, lets say Greninja, M Manectric, or Ho-Oh, they can heal with Ho-Oh, they can drop a Shaymin, they can play item cards, where as with Wobbuffet they can't heal and drop a Shaymin, and with Trevenant they can't drop items to accelerate their draw power.

So pro with Ageislash, you might take X amount of prizes and win the game with a single attack.

Cons: slows down Trevenant's setup rate, loses priority to Trevenant, is not overly consistent, constitutes the use of slots better used for Burst Ballons, breaks the lock.

Last edited:
treve/wobb is a lot easier to setup then 2 stage 2 lines, the issue with EX's or anything that drops the lock makes it very easy for people to out play you. For instance, wobb locks abilities and trev locks items, if you openly attack with an EX or something else that is not locking your opponent it gives them more possibilities for cards they can play. Wobb also does the same thing that aegislash does except the turn after you attack it gives your opponent options to setup with some very powerful game winning hands, so against, lets say greninja, megamanectric or ho-oh they can heal with ho-oh, they can drop a shaymin, they can play item cards, where as with wobb they can't heal and drop a shaymin and with trev they can't drop items to accelerate their draw power.

So pro with ageislash, you might take X amount of prizes and win the game with a single attack.

cons, slows down trev's setup rate, loses priority to trev, is not overly consistent, constitutes the use of slots better used for burst ballons, breaks the lock.
Yeah, makes sense. Might be better to go with that too!

Hi Vitiel,

Mono Trevenant is the most competitive variant. Personally I like to use Wobbuffet as a tech to increase the odds to start with Phantump. Looking at the other Trevenant builds the one with Aegislash is second but cannot fit in Burst Balloon and has to fill its bench.

I managed to sort of assemble a mono Trevenant with 2 Wobbuffet on TCGO. Lots of fun but the low chance of opening with a basic is a pain.

Hi everyone,

I recently thought about playing Trevenant BREAK, as I enjoyed my rogue Gourgeist/Meowstic back in the day. Then I thought about the Dark matchup and immediately scrapped the idea. But I really like the deck, so I ask: can Trevenant do anything besides going first and hoping for T1 Wally? What do you do if you go second?

Thank you for your feedback
PlinfaTheBest

You could maybe spread damage around with Trev Break for a few turns then sweep with Wobbuffet, winning the prize trade I guess? Those decks run DCEs, so Enhanced Hammer or Xerosic could help with that a bit, as could Team Flare Grunt.

The decks also run a very high item count to my knowledge, so turn 1 Trevenant should really set them back. I'm by no means an expert on the deck though, I've only played against it once.

I was given this idea by someone else and it works pretty well, I run one copy of dedenne FUF to help clean up an yveltal after putting some damage on with trev if it doesn't get enough damage to KO with Wobuffet. Although it breaks the item lock, it helps to be able to KO one of the main threats and getting time to set up another trev while not having to worry about lysandre or OHKO when it's getting set up and not having an alternative attacker, even though it doesn't work as well against zoroark and gets OHKO'd by gallade, but the main reason for it in the first place is to counter yveltal.

It eventually comes down to the Trevenant player getting Trevenant out fast enough. Silent Fear needs to be hitting over and over and the lock needs to come up turn one. If baby Yveltal hits a Muscle Band or a Fighting Fury Belt too early, that spells bad news for the Trees player. OHKOing Phantumps is big, which is why you can't simply leave one out there for slaughter (which would also mean you didn't get the Item lock off T1 either lol). It's a hard matchup, but under Item lock and a bad hand, anything's possible.

I play trevenant break irl and online and while I haven't encountered dark decks to much, I have encountered my fair share online. Like others have said it really comes down to your set up. If you can get the turn 1 trevy then you might be able to have decent chance. My trevy deck is a little bit different then most that are posted on here, and I find it to be pretty consistent. I can post my deck list if you'd like me to but my best advice is do everything you can tonly stream line your deck to make the turn trevy a high probability

I play Trevenent Break/M MewTwo Ex with damage exchange. I feel that combo is the best for that kind of matchup. When I play just Trev/Woboffet, if you don't score the perfect turn one, dark can overwhelm the deck quickly.

Back