ORAS Trainer Customization

mijumarulover

Water Pokemon Trainer
Do you think there will be trainer customization in OR/AS or will we have to stick with the characters we have?

I've heard some people say that we won't be getting it because of Norman.
If we do, then I really hope GF adds more options for the male.

The only reason we wouldn't is to keep in line with how ruby and sapphire were played. To anyone who thinks that because Brendan and May are "characters" that they can't be customized, remember that so were Calem and Serena and they could be customized. It seems odd that game freak would put something as important and loved as character customization for only one game.

98Greener said:

What does Norman have to do with character customization? I get that he's your dad, but how does putting on different clothes change any of that. And as for skin tone, did your mom change in x and y? Even if she did, there is such thing as being multiracial. I don't know who these people are, but as a multiracial person, I find their argument to be extremely flawed and somewhat insulting. Sorry if that sounded too mean, I just get very agitated at this kind of thing.

One of the screen shots of the trailer "appears" to show the boutique but you can't really tell.

I would say it's probably extremely likely.

This probably confirms it, however: http://imgur.com/a/VltzO

Looks like a red bag and a green bag. hard to tell though

DrEspeon said:
The only reason we wouldn't is to keep in line with how ruby and sapphire were played. To anyone who thinks that because Brendan and May are "characters" that they can't be customized, remember that so were Calem and Serena and they could be customized. It seems odd that game freak would put something as important and loved as character customization for only one game.

98Greener said:

What does Norman have to do with character customization? I get that he's your dad, but how does putting on different clothes change any of that. And as for skin tone, did your mom change in x and y? Even if she did, there is such thing as being multiracial. I don't know who these people are, but as a multiracial person, I find their argument to be extremely flawed and somewhat insulting. Sorry if that sounded too mean, I just get very agitated at this kind of thing.

That's what I mean, controversy might start over the skin color you choose. I know you can be multi racial, it's just that people these days are just waiting for the slightest screw-up just to raise their pitchforks.

But it's just a slight thing. It probably won't happen.
As for what you said about being too mean, don't worry about it. :p

I agree about Norman not really mattering. In X and Y, your Mom didn't change hair, eyes, or skin based on what you looked like. Plus Brendan and May aren't characters any more than Serena and Calem are. You can still name them yourself. That being said, what I think they might do is not let you customise until post game. That way, it plays like the original still, without the changing, but gives you something to look forward too and keeps the feature.
I honestly hope they don't do that, but they might. I just want customisation back.

On the bright side though, if they do bring customisation back, we can assume a few things based on May. For starters, it would mean more hair styles, since May and even Brendan's hair doesn't match any styles in X and Y, and maybe even colours too. Also, May is wearing a bandanna, not a whole hat, so maybe hats can come off? Or at least we can pick a bandanna instead.

I also watched the trailer like four times and I can't see a boutique :/

I would love to get customization back! Won't be a deal breaker if it doesn't but it'll be awesome if we get some more hairstyle options and different clothing combos. c:

I don't see why they wouldn't. It would allow a classic game to feel new. Maybe that might explain why the male character looks tan in the artwork leak but looks normally light skinned in game. :S

tigre said:
One of the screen shots of the trailer "appears" to show the boutique but you can't really tell.

I think what you see as a red bag is her backside.

I think the thing is though, the player's dad didn't appear in X/Y, so mixed race could have made sense. But in R/S/E (and presumably the remakes) both of the parents are in the game so it would be weird. It still wouldn't really matter I suppose, but I think that's what people mean when they talk about Norman.

HoennFan1412 said:
I think the thing is though, the player's dad didn't appear in X/Y, so mixed race could have made sense. But in R/S/E (and presumably the remakes) both of the parents are in the game so it would be weird. It still wouldn't really matter I suppose, but I think that's what people mean when they talk about Norman.

It is true that both parents appear in the game, but would it be that hard to program it so that when you chose a skin and hair color, both you and your mom get those features? That way, the biology would make sense and you wouldn't have to change the race of a gym leader. Or GameFreak could, and likely will, just not change either parent and assume no one will care which, after a week or so, no one will.

Seven is a Color said:
It doesn't have to make logical sense (for me, at least), but if we go that route, maybe you're adopted.

You have a point. Or maybe there is some gene from back in your family history that is being shown in you. This is easily possible give the rules for dominance and I'm sure will come up soon if it isn't already happening given the increasing number of multiracial families.

tigre said:

More importantly: why is May's left leg red!? Is this another hint at customisation or just an error? In her artwork she has both her legs showing up, not some pantyhose.

HoennFan1412 said:

Perhaps his skin color will match the one chosen by the player!? It would be an easy way for GF to nullify that discussion.
Edit: yes, what DrEspeon said above!

So, I was looking at Slateport on the new map, it might not mean anything, but there's still a building where the pokemart used to be in it. My question is, what could that building be? A clothes store possibly?

I'm probably over thinking things.

Axell Starr said:
So, I was looking at Slateport on the new map, it might not mean anything, but there's still a building where the pokemart used to be in it. My question is, what could that building be? A clothes store possibly?

I'm probably over thinking things.

I know what you mean I super analysed the picture too! Maybe if they're doing the poke marts and pokemon center in one building again, they're using the spots to put up boutiques! It actually makes a lot of sense, what else could they put in those building spots? I guess they could put just normal houses or something, but it's still kind of lame.

And honestly, I think the easiest way to solve the biology problem with the parents is to just not let you change until after you start the game. Maybe you'll have to wait a few towns, or maybe it will be available really soon afterwards. Then they can say that you're just "tanning" or something like they did in X/Y. Or, they're just not gonna care. I mean, I don't even care, and I don't think anyone else will. It would be a little weird to change your mom's skin colour, because in X/Y you could constantly change your skin colour too if you wanted at Lumiose city. So even if they changed her skin at the beginning of the game, you could just go and change yours later and it still wouldn't make sense.

DrEspeon said:
It seems odd that game freak would put something as important and loved as character customization for only one game.
Well, they added in HG/SS the mons that follow you and nevermore bring it in other games... and I think that even that is a loved thing in the games...

Anyway, I hope they will give us the character customization and the old outfits so if we want we can have the old style in the game.

yu6 said:
DrEspeon said:
It seems odd that game freak would put something as important and loved as character customization for only one game.
Well, they added in HG/SS the mons that follow you and nevermore bring it in other games... and I think that even that is a loved thing in the games...

Anyway, I hope they will give us the character customization and the old outfits so if we want we can have the old style in the game.
The following pokémon in hg/ss was such a good idea, and indeed they did remove it so it is a very good example.
I think it would be a very bad play on game freak's part to leave out character customisation just one game after it was introduced, because it is a feature enjoyed by so many people.
It's not really customisation as much, but the different skin tones and hair cuts was enough. During my playthrough of X/Y I hardly changed my clothes. The diversity available opens up the games to an even greater audience than it did before.

I don't see any hint at character customization being present in ORAS in the screenshots and trailers we have currently. It will be off putting for many people if there won't be any customization, I doubt even the most hardcore generation 3 purists will appreciate the lack character customization. I hope we will get it, it is just such a good way to spend your money and your character is actually yours, although the options are rather limited and quite boring, especially for the males. Hopefully they will reveal whether it is in or not within the next few moths (as in July and August).

My theory is that in OR/AS won't have customizable characters, sadly. I think they're doing this to retain to the actual Gen3, using the original look of the hero/heroine we know and love. I think that once Gen7 gets here (or possibly Z) they'll bring it back!

Back