Question Trading with Passerby / Acquaintance

minganwolf

Aspiring Trainer
I sometimes get random trade requests from acquaintances, my question is how do I know what kind of pokemon they are looking to get from me? Is there some kind of etiquette to these things? I feel terrible getting the requests and not knowing what it is they want. :<

[private]Since people are coming up with goof replies I'll leave this a tread for now. If it gets too spammy or unneeded in the future it can be merged with Q&A. *Drohn [/private]

RE: Trading with Acquaintance question

One time someone traded me a Graveler and I gave him a Golem. I have no idea what his intentions were.

Another time someone try to start a trade and I offered a Fletchling and he cancelled the trade. =_= It's like... um... hi I can't freaking speak to you soooo how am I supposed to know what you're looking for? So I just offer whatever I don't want, I'm not playing mind reader with you.

I don't really like trading with passerby's/acquaintances, just for the sole fact that you can't converse with them and have no idea what they want, what they're offering, blahdiblah.

The times when I do do it, I usually see what they're offering and then offer something of a similar value/level - one time I traded a Charizard holding Charizardite X for a Blastoise holding Blastoisinite. Pretty fair and since I can get another Charizardite X it isn't a huge annoyance.
(the same person the came back to request trades and battles like 10 times after that, it got so annoying I just turned the PSS off)

I just tend to use Wonder Trade more, plus it's great for trading off unwanted Pokemon. I've been MM'ing for a Shiny Chespin, and when I got to about 3 and a half boxes, I released 3 (boxes) and WT'd the half away. WT is a great feature, but I'd love for there to be some sort of level association between the 2 Pokemon (ie trade a level 7 Pokemon, get a lv.4-10 back)

See what they are offering, and if you have the Pokemon, show it to them and let them know you have it. I also just usually offer what I'm breeding at the moment or some rarer Pokemon or version exclusives. If they seem interested, I wait until they show a few offers or something I could be interested in.

I hate it when they offer like a Caterpie for something good, and I take my Pokemon off the screen and they continue to show it. If they don't change or "move" around in their box after a minute or two, then in stop the trade.

There was this one guy who would do this:

tumblr_mwuqd46wQv1rlulmlo1_500.jpg

98Greener said:

This is brilliant...

If you speak English I suppose...

98Greener said:

I actually like this idea, but you probably have to go through so many Pokemon to figure out what they want.

I kinda miss what GTS negotiations had. I know all it was were smiley faces and basic shapes, but it was pretty useful to use to fnd out what the other person wanted. Kinda sucks they didn't incorporate that in the pss. Mainly when I try to trade, I usually look for people that may be further in the game and possibly have shinies they would trade. I usually offer up a shiny first to let them know what I'm looking for.

I've gotten trade requests from random people several times, but I always turn them down. If I want to trade, I'll communicate with someone; I don't want to play games back and forth to trade with a random stranger when I'd rather be playing my game. Random trading it for Wonder Trades!

Sometimes in their shout outs they say something about safari hunting or looking for safaris :U so theres that

Yeah, i find it a bit stupid that you cant communicate. The shoutout is a great feature but could do with being longer. And when people quit the trade, you dont know. I quit and waited ages for some guy once while he kept showing me his collection. I also find the GTS a struggle lately. Apart from eveybody wanting mews, mewtwos and articunos, lets not go there, if somebody has some decent offer up, i cant seem to go catch it it in time before its been traded :( I hope peoole come to my trading thread i made yesterday. This is the first time ive had a game online. I dont know how to advertise my thread in my signature...

Look at what they flash at you. If they flash you a Vivillion, they probably want yours. If they flash a Swirlix, they probablt want a Spritzee, if they offer a starter... well they probably just want to trade you a starter, thinking they can get something good in return.

Someone once flashed a Swirlix at me so I offered Spritzee, and they traded it for a shiny Skrelp (that they got from a trade)! I sure don't mind that! (Especially since I actually have X so I can't fish my own shiny Skrelp!)

I like what the guy with the Nincada did!

I've had good experiences with passerbys. Got a Scollipede with a Houndoomite for some Pokemon I didn't really need. I also got a shiny Remoraid by trading with a passerby. If people make dumb trades I'll just cancel the trade or offer something I want to get rid of (say a Furfrou) for it.

Suppose it just depends on who you trade with.

I've had some really great trades where I've scored rare stuff and legendaries for pokemon they seemed interested in, and made generally good trades, and I've also had the trade requests where nothing comes of it. If it's clear they're just starting out and don't really have anything I'll toss them some starters or stuff you can't find early on for whatever they offer up. It really just depends on the person.

Guys, guys, the process of trade is really simple if done correctly. I've been trading for a while now, and have experienced the joys of trading with passerby's and acquaintances. I engage in shiny trading, and it's really like experiencing the joys of facing a shiny in the wild, when you see it up in your screen and you offer another shiny for it that you do not want. It's the same thing for "normal-pokemon" trading. All you have to do is dedicate one box, to pokémon that you do not want, and bring them all to the name changer fellow, and type in your message in your preferred language. For example, my pokemon are named: Greetings (Zigzagoon), Sorry, I GTG (Sunkern), Thanks for trade (Bellsprout), No thanks (Wurmple), Yes please! (Rattata), I have it...(Machop), and so on. (Bracketed names are the pokemon named the message on the left of bracket).

Three advantages of this process:
1. Saves you time and displays professional trading etiquette.
2. It's a one time process (unless you trade your message pokemon away)
3. Prevents flooding of the Wonder Trade with "useless" pokemon (relative to player experience). Imagine if everyone playing pokémon saves at least 1 box of "useless" pokemon...Could reduce the cancer you receive once you wonder trade a shiny legend (Yes, I've been there).

Back