• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Toxapex / Seviper Poison Box Ideas - POST BUS

AverageAvenger

Canadian Card Fox
So, I've been working on a deck for when Burning Shadows comes out and it focuses on the idea of using Toxapex and Seviper, along with Alolan Dugtrio, to stack Poison onto the defending Pokemon, with little ways to retreat. It's not finished yet, and I need help finishing it, so I figured 'why not post it here?' So, any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Toxapex/Seviper Poison Box-Post BUS

Pokemon -12
3x Mareanie GUR
1x Toxapex SUM
2x Toxapex-GX GUR
2x Seviper BUS
2x Alolan Diglett SUM
2x Alolan Dugtrio SUM

Trainers -
3x Guzma BUS
4x Professor Sycamore STS
3x N FCO
4x Ultra Ball SUM
3x Team Flare Grunt GEN
3x Float Stone BKT
3x Mount Lanakila BUS

Last edited:
Since you're using a lot of bench warmers, it wouldn't hurt to run 2 or 3 Nest Balls and a Bridgette to help set up your bench quickly with what you need. I also think Random Receiver would be a must have if you're going to run this in Standard. The standard toxapex should also probably hit the road since you're going to be preventing their retreating either way. Just run some Field Blower instead to remove pesky float stones.

I do like the idea though! I run similar in expanded currently, only with Flashfire Dragalge to prevent retreating

Since you're using a lot of bench warmers, it wouldn't hurt to run 2 or 3 Nest Balls and a Bridgette to help set up your bench quickly with what you need. I also think Random Receiver would be a must have if you're going to run this in Standard. The standard toxapex should also probably hit the road since you're going to be preventing their retreating either way. Just run some Field Blower instead to remove pesky float stones.

I do like the idea though! I run similar in expanded currently, only with Flashfire Dragalge to prevent retreating
Awesome! Thanks for the help! So, I think I've come up with a basic Decklist.
Toxapex/Seviper Poison Box-Post BUS

Pokemon -12

3x Mareanie GUR

2x Toxapex-GX GUR

3x Seviper BUS

2x Alolan Diglett SUM

2x Alolan Dugtrio SUM

Trainers -

3x Guzma BUS

4x Ultra Ball SUM

4x Team Flare Grunt GEN

3x Mount Lanakila BUS

3x N FCO

3x Float Stone BKT

2x Nest Ball SUM

2x Brigette BKT

3x Muscular Dumbbells BUS

3x Random Receiver FCO

2x Field Blower GUR

3x Professor's Letter FCO

3x Rescue Stretcher GUR

Energy -8

8x Psychic Energy

I switched to GUR Mareanie for Bail Out, and figured it might play a role like what Alolan Vulpix does. Muscular Dumbbells should help beef up Toxapex and Alolan Dugtrio if it were Guzma'ed up, and the Rescue Stretchers will help against that odd KO

Do you have any Tapu LeLe GX you could run? It wouldn't be a bad idea to have to help you get bridgette fast. If you can run Lele, id also run Skull Grunt. In the case your opponent makes you go first you can punish them by getting rid of any energy they started with. Most cases I end up getting rid of a special energy so it really helps!

Now the only concern I have is that you have only 8 energy, but no way to get it back. Id normally run Fisherman, but you have so many other supporters we dont want to clog up your chances of getting what you really want. So instead 2 energy retrieval may do the trick.
Id also personally toss out Guzma because youre looking to keep them trapped in. If you're concerned about the next pokemon coming in, thats what you have Total Shelter GX for. I personally never found a need to use Lysandre in my Toxapex deck so you ought to be fairly safe.

Nice deck @AverageAvenger,

There are however, a few things I would change:

• No deck should run more than 1 Brigette. I think a 3rd Toxapex-GX would be better.
  • A concept I constructed for a deck like this one would be to run a thin line of Steam Siege Weavile to chop and change between Muscular Dumbbells (to prolong lifespan of Toxapex), and Wish Baton (when Toxapex is close to death). It may fractionally hurt the consistency, but it is of vital importance that the energies stay. This has the advantage over just Field Blowering away your Muscular Dumbbells because Toxapex is already weak to Garbodor and you do not want to make things easier for the Garb player.
  • You have Brigette and Ultra Ball. Nest Ball is unnecessary.
  • You should probably just run more energy as opposed to any Professor's Letters. As I said, don't make it easier for Garb to grab 2 prize KOs. I too sometimes have paranoia about Energy shortage, but with Supporter lines as thick as yours, 10 Energy and no Letters will suffice.
In summary:

• -1 Brigette
  • -2 Nest Ball
  • -3 Professor's Letter
  • -1 Random Receiver
  • -1 Guzma

• +1 Sneasel STS
  • +1 Weavile STS
  • +3 Wish Baton
  • +1 Toxapex-GX
  • +2 Psychic Energy

I would still argue that the 2 nest balls help. However, I do understand that Garbodor is a huge problem for a deck like this. Especially because Toxapex is weak to it. I really like the wish baton idea though! Weavile might make that clunky though, especially since you're only running 1-1. It may be better to just remove the dumbbells entirely in favor of wish baton because even if toxapex has less HP, you can have another one set up to go immediately.

I would still argue that the 2 nest balls help. However, I do understand that Garbodor is a huge problem for a deck like this. Especially because Toxapex is weak to it. I really like the wish baton idea though! Weavile might make that clunky though, especially since you're only running 1-1. It may be better to just remove the dumbbells entirely in favor of wish baton because even if toxapex has less HP, you can have another one set up to go immediately.
I find Wish Baton an essential for post-BUS decks that consume lots of Basic Energy

Darn! Someone already mentioned this combination. But it looks good! I personally will try seviper/draglge.

Nice deck @AverageAvenger,

There are however, a few things I would change:

• No deck should run more than 1 Brigette. I think a 3rd Toxapex-GX would be better.
  • A concept I constructed for a deck like this one would be to run a thin line of Steam Siege Weavile to chop and change between Muscular Dumbbells (to prolong lifespan of Toxapex), and Wish Baton (when Toxapex is close to death). It may fractionally hurt the consistency, but it is of vital importance that the energies stay. This has the advantage over just Field Blowering away your Muscular Dumbbells because Toxapex is already weak to Garbodor and you do not want to make things easier for the Garb player.
  • You have Brigette and Ultra Ball. Nest Ball is unnecessary.
  • You should probably just run more energy as opposed to any Professor's Letters. As I said, don't make it easier for Garb to grab 2 prize KOs. I too sometimes have paranoia about Energy shortage, but with Supporter lines as thick as yours, 10 Energy and no Letters will suffice.
In summary:

• -1 Brigette
  • -2 Nest Ball
  • -3 Professor's Letter
  • -1 Random Receiver
  • -1 Guzma

• +1 Sneasel STS
  • +1 Weavile STS
  • +3 Wish Baton
  • +1 Toxapex-GX
  • +2 Psychic Energy
I do quite like your idea, thank you! The idea to quickly transfer tools to be able to have the energies stay is quite creative! Here's the decklist now then.
Pokemon -15

3x Mareanie GUR

3x Toxapex-GX GUR

3x Seviper BUS

2x Alolan Diglett SUM

2x Alolan Dugtrio SUM

1x Sneasel STS

1x Weavile STS

Trainers - 35

2x Guzma BUS

4x Ultra Ball SUM

4x Team Flare Grunt GEN

3x Mount Lanakila BUS

3x N FCO

3x Float Stone BKT

1x Brigette BKT

3x Muscular Dumbbells BUS

2x Random Receiver FCO

2x Field Blower GUR

3x Rescue Stretcher GUR

3x Wish Baton BUS

Energy -10

10x Psychic Energy

Do you have any Tapu LeLe GX you could run? It wouldn't be a bad idea to have to help you get bridgette fast. If you can run Lele, id also run Skull Grunt. In the case your opponent makes you go first you can punish them by getting rid of any energy they started with. Most cases I end up getting rid of a special energy so it really helps!

Now the only concern I have is that you have only 8 energy, but no way to get it back. Id normally run Fisherman, but you have so many other supporters we dont want to clog up your chances of getting what you really want. So instead 2 energy retrieval may do the trick.
Id also personally toss out Guzma because youre looking to keep them trapped in. If you're concerned about the next pokemon coming in, thats what you have Total Shelter GX for. I personally never found a need to use Lysandre in my Toxapex deck so you ought to be fairly safe.
In regards to what you said, I think I may be able to work in some energy retrieval just in case. I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, about your other thing, no. I don't own any Leles sadly. Wish I did though. I do, in fact have Skull Grunts however, if that's any consolation.

Skull grunt is more useful when you can guarantee it's in your hand first turn. Otherwise you're better using Flare Grunt or Plumera to disrupt.

Back