Theorymon Challenges

bacon

!!!!!
A thread where we debate matters of great, great importance.

Current challenge:

[21:47] <bacon> You have one move, and one ability. Your challenge is to make Farfetch'd Uber. Go.

Can you do it? :eek:

do they have to be legit moves and abilities?

bacon edit: Yes, they can't be custom moves or abilities

Is Wonder Guard banned? If not, Wonder Guard+Reflect Type, probably. Or Contrary+V-Generate.

This has to be logical, correct (for example, it can't have Overheat)?

I was thinking V-Create and Contrary like DV (maybe because we actually discussed that in person.) Maybe Contrary + Close Combat.

Not seeing a lot coming out of this unless we implement a Contrary ban because everything would probably be either Contrary+V-Generate or Contrary+Draco Meteor, or Shuckle, in which case its either impossible or Multiscale+Recover?

Guys, Contrary and V-Create just might allow Farfetch'd to kill Scizor...in the sun. Maybe.

The problem with Contrary is that you will be hard-pressed to get a move off in the first place. Farfetch'd is not only weak to Stealth Rock, but it has the defenses of a wet paper bag. Good luck switching into any attacking move. If you manage to switch in, you're still extremely slow (60 Base Speed is just a little better than Blissey), and will likely OHKO'd by anything with even average attacking stats. If you make it THAT far, your first V-Create/Overheat/CC/Leaf Storm will be incredibly weak...even the high base power doesn't save Farfetch'd from the fact that it has a 65 base Attack and 58 Special Attack, and those attacks are Un-Stabbed to boot.

If you miraculously manage to fire off a single attack and get that boost...so what? You're at +2 Defenses and Speed, but you still lack the offensive power to scare off anything. Close Combat is the same, but now you are without your speed boost. Leaf Storm/Overheat have the opposite problem. Sure, you can now actually threaten things with your attacks, but you still cannot take a hit nor outrun anything worth mentioning. If there was a move that decreased all stats by -3, then you might have a case for giving Farfetch'd Contrary. As it stands however, it doesn't do anything for it.

tl;dr: Contrary + anything will make it good enough to get an honorable mention on a sub-NU threat list at best.

Now, onto the actual question. We have to look no further than Ditto for one of our best answers - give Farfetch'd Eccentric. This fixes almost all of its problems in one full swoop - those being hideous stats, an awful movepool, and a terrible typing both offensively and defensively. Although it might not make it good enough to get to Uber (time will tell how good Ditto is with it) I think most would agree that it would at the very. least become viable in the OU metagame. For something that is the laughing stock of Pokemon, that is a huge jump. It wouldn't even need a move with Eccentric.

Of course, another option would be to give it Inconsistent. Granted, Inconsistent wouldn't make it Uber in the sense that it would be over-powering anything, but if you took away the options of its other abilities, Farfetch'd would by definition have to be banned! (Or the Inconsistent ban would have to be lifted, but I don't think Farfetch'd would cause it to be repealed, especially since Bidoof has it) Even if it that didn't happen, Inconsistent Farfetch'd would still be banned from competitive play.

An honorable mention is to give Farfetch'd Drizzle + Hydro Pump. As we saw with Politoed, Drizzle is clearly one of the better abilities in the game, taking a forgettable Pokemon into a Top 5 OU Pokemon. Farfetch'd wouldn't make near as impressive as a jump as Politoed did due to its poor stats and inability to abuse the ability itself, it could still provide support for Rain abusers in the lower tiers. Though Drizzle Farfetch'd wouldn't be Uber, it could at the very least find some usage in UU/RU. (Think Snover, Hippopotas, and Vulpix)

I was thinking Moody + Stored Power. It requires a little bit of luck, but if you start off with defense boosts to stop Farfetch'd from dying so fast, it's amazing. Stored power can reach a base power of 860, which can tear through pretty much anything that isn't a dedicated wall, especially since Moody will probably have raised your special attack by that point.

I also think bacon was kind of doing this as a joke so I think we're being a bit too serious...

Well, Moody as an ability is already banned, so that isn't going to make Farfetch'd Uber, just unable to use an ability. You could try Huge Power+ExtremeSpeed to make a pretty good revenge killer, but it would still probably be outclassed by Scizor simply due to its worse typing and defenses. I think Contrary+V-Generate would definately work. Switch in on Ferrothorn or something else that can't hti Farfetch'd hard, V-Generate as they switch, outspeed the switch-in and V-Generate to survive the next hit, spam Roost till you can live another hit, use V-Generate an dRoost interchangeably until massive defenses. Then you Swords Dance to +6 and start 5HKOing stuff with Return. At least it would have some use in OU instead of being an inferior Politoed (Remember, Bacon said make it Uber. He doesn't care about how well it would do in RU or UU if it isn't OU at least its worthless). Another idea would be Prankster/Speed Boost and Spore, to make it the ultimate sleep inducer. Then spam FeatherDance on a physical attacker and you've just wasted 1 slot on your team to make the opponent switch 2 times, joy.

Dark Void said:
Well, Moody as an ability is already banned, so that isn't going to make Farfetch'd Uber, just unable to use an ability. You could try Huge Power+ExtremeSpeed to make a pretty good revenge killer, but it would still probably be outclassed by Scizor simply due to its worse typing and defenses. I think Contrary+V-Generate would definately work. Switch in on Ferrothorn or something else that can't hti Farfetch'd hard, V-Generate as they switch, outspeed the switch-in and V-Generate to survive the next hit, spam Roost till you can live another hit, use V-Generate an dRoost interchangeably until massive defenses. Then you Swords Dance to +6 and start 5HKOing stuff with Return. At least it would have some use in OU instead of being an inferior Politoed (Remember, Bacon said make it Uber. He doesn't care about how well it would do in RU or UU if it isn't OU at least its worthless). Another idea would be Prankster/Speed Boost and Spore, to make it the ultimate sleep inducer. Then spam FeatherDance on a physical attacker and you've just wasted 1 slot on your team to make the opponent switch 2 times, joy.

If you have contrary, Swords Dance will decrease your attack instead of increasing it.

P.S. What does Eccentric do?

I totally agree with the statement made about Eccentric Farfetch'd, but since I'd rather not repeat what someone else already said (although it is likely that could earn itself a seat in the uber realm) Wonder Guard + Conversion 2. Here is the set:

Farfetch'd@Leftovers / White Herb
Wonder Guard
Jolly
EV's: 252 HP 252 Spe 4 Def
- Substitute
- Conversion 2
- Agility
- Protect / Toxic / Roost

White Herb is if you would like to have some sort of defense vs taunt. The goal is to set up sub on a pokemon who cant hit you, agility while they switch to a pokemon who could hurt you, and as they attack or after they attack, depending on if you're faster or not, you will either toxic (if they're faster turn 1), or you will use conversion 2, that way you now resist that move, and they are screwed again as you set up your second sub.
I'm trying to think of another at least decent one, but farfetch'd is pretty bad...

Prankster + Spore. With this set you get an automatic Swords Dance to any of your pokemon, as long as they don't wake up turn one.

Farfetch'd@whatever
Prankster
doesn't really matter frankly
again doesn't matter
-Spore
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass

(it learns baton pass by xd)
It can also use Work Up or Curse. Only thing that gives it trouble is other Prankster users, namely Whimsicott, and Sableye but they can't even switch in thanks to spore. Tail Glow + Prankster @ Focus Sash as a lead is interesting too, but the other two pokemon can actually switch into this one. Wonder Guard +Conversion 2 makes sense as well. Entrainment/Skill Swap has a lot of uses with a lot of different abilities, but I don't think any would make him Uber.

EDIT: God how could I forget Sketch? If that isn't banned that definitely becomes the one move.

Oh well, you could read it as he gains one move to his previous movepool, or he can only use one move + one ability for the whole set. I'm not sure which Bacon was referring to.

If you're right, Wonder Guard + Roost sounds like a good idea. If it goes first (which is possible with speed passes) it can stall out anything that doesn't have a fighting move and a move that's super effective to lightning.

Just thought of a new and interesting one:

Farfetch'd@Stick (lol)
Naughty
Huge Power
EV's: 252 Atk 60 SpA 196 Spe
- Extremespeed
- Leaf Blade / Night Slash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Agility / Swords Dance

Stick increases farfetch'd critical hit rate by two stages, and if you remember what Super Luck does to Absol, just picture that; But wait there's more! We've got huge power. Let's take that absymal offensive attack and special attack stat, and lets pull a medicham on it. Wham. Now we've got x2 crit rate with nearly 500 Atk and 400 SpA. It gets better. Let's give it a +2 priority, 80 bp STAB move. now it's 120 bp, with x2 crit rate effectively raising it to 240 bp. This is 10 under selfdestruct. SELFDESTRUCT. Even without that crit, extremespeed will have enough power to decimate nearly everything in sight. The second slot is for your ghost users, such as Gengar, Jellicent, and the like. Both of these moves get a boost on the high crit ratio. HP Fire is for the steel types, such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Skarmory. Now I know you may be thinking, what about heatran? Yeah what about him:

54.2% - 64.1% ES with a crit. Yep you're 2HKOing HEATRAN on the switch. Yes I know that is relying on 2 crits in a row. but at stage 2 crit rate, that is actually a decently likely event. Agility is there for when you get enough time to boost, which can be replaced by Swords Dance if you want to take the rediculousness of this set to a whole new level, where even if you don't get a critical hit, you will be doing about the same damage as you would a crit at +0. Work Up can also be used if you would like to OHKO Skarm, Ferrothorn, and essentially all fire weak steels 100% of the time. Although remember, that crit rate applies to all these moves, so there's still a chance HP fire could crit....
Here's some more food for thought:

Extremespeed w/ Crit:
vs Standard Blissey 93% - 109.7%
vs CB Scizor 53.4% - 63%
vs DD Dragonite 118.3% - 139.3%
vs Standard Hippowdon 60.7% - 71.4%
vs LO Heatran 54.2% - 64.1%

Extremespeed +2 Atk w/ Crit:
vs Standard Blissey 185.7% - 218.5%
vs CB Scizor 106.4% - 125.4%
vs DD Dragonite 235.9% - 277.7%
vs Standard Hippowdon 120.7% - 142.1%
vs LO Heatran 107.7% - 127.2%

Yeah, goodnight. :>

/: That awkward moment when you realize Huge Power doesn't effect SpA..

Dark Void said:
You could try Huge Power+ExtremeSpeed to make a pretty good revenge killer, but it would still probably be outclassed by Scizor simply due to its worse typing and defenses.

That awkward moment when I've already said that...and with its abyssmal defenses, it dies if it doesn't get massive crits, so Scizor would often be better. I guess they could chuck it in Ubers on account of it making the game too luck-based, but honesly there are still too many things that would eat Farfetch'd alive, and I think 2 stages is still only like 25% or something. It might work, but Wonder Guard+type changing move (or Eccentric, but Eccentric is bland since it makes everything the exact same as Ditto) has a much greater chance of going Uber. If only we could test this somehow, lol.

Back