Pokemon The Tree of Legend

Mitja

veteran smartass
There always seemed to be some kind of vaguely implied set of conceptual relations underneath the true legendary pokémon.
(The ones that are just powerful/special/event I call Mythic Pokemon)

So I tried figuring it out over the years as new generations introduced new legendaries.
With gen IV the interesting "Tree of Legend" emerged from it, and in this post I will recreate it, generation by generation.

---Generation I---

20416c07c55e3c1043ef2cc3afe01c92-d5l28ac.png

The concept of 3 equally strong legendaries with the same basis, but each embodying a different element.
It all started with these three, known as the legendary birds.
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

---Generation II---

It continued the trend Gen I set up, adding the next legendary trio,
with slight type modification (Water instead of Ice) to keep things fresh.
The legendary beasts.
Raikou, Entei, Suicune

Then we have the first 2 mascots, the first truly legendary Pokemon.
Just like the trios, this kind of duo is equal in many ways, while being polar opposites like dusk and dawn, cold and hot, black and white...
The tower Duo.
Lugia and Ho-oh

Ho-oh introduced another key concept, usually referred to as "trio master", or the more generalized term "guardian".
That is a Pokemon which is in some way related to its group, be it back-story or design, usually superior in several ways.

So it is said that Ho-oh revived three Pokemon that perished in the Brass Tower incident, and turned them into the beasts embodying the events of lightning, fire and rain, which destroyed the Tower.

As there are 2 towers, with 2 of these Flying guardians, it would make perfect sense for Lugia to be related to another trio to keep the symmetry.

Since Kanto and Johto are the only closely related regions so far (even sharing the same pokemon league), we can tie the legendary birds to Lugia based on that, although there is no actual relation presented in the games.
9e56626206e692939a47aad448f196b7-d5l28nc.png

---Generation III---

274c2887b439c9fc937903d06ae49d2c-d5l29x7.png

Continuing the tradition, another elemental trio was added.
This time, the types seemed to be more radical, however it was just the next logical step (2 new types instead of 1).
The legendary golems.
Regirock, Regice, Registeel

As the tower duo, this generation too had its contrasting duo of mascots.
The Weather Duo.
Kyogre and Groudon

These two are less sentient guardians, and more like disastrous monsters, also being slightly weaker than the tower duo.

However, they have their own guardian that stops them from causing harm.
Rayquaza

--Connection between Kanto/Johto and Hoenn--

(While the golems still lack their guardian,)
We see that Rayquaza has a similar role to Lugia and Ho-oh, being a guardian-figure. They also look just as diverse as Lugia and Ho-oh do next to each other. When you add the fact that they are all Flying, equally powerful and rest on Towers constructed for them, it becomes impossible to ignore a connection here.
Hence the triangle of the Flying guardians in this picture, connecting the legends of Kanto and Johto, with the legends of Hoenn.

73fafdb679bf3984a77f695228902dee-d5l2b0u.png

---Generation IV---

2acb46b114a385b18aba04bc30e3d4e0-d5l2bfl.png

This was supposedly the "ultimate" generation, and it shows.
The main legendaries introduced here, actually have creation stories behind them.

The first interesting part is the lack of a new elemental trio (birds, beasts, golems).
Instead we have a trio of Psychic pixies.
The lake guardians.
Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf

They are closely related to this generations mascots, even down to the same main colours.
Dimension trio.
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina

Although their powers equal the Flying guardians from the Gen III connection, they have a guardian-figure themselves.
Arceus

--Hoenn connection--

This generation also added a curious fourth superior golem which is undoubtably related to the legendary golems.
Much like Lugia, the birds guardian, it was introduced a generation later.
Regigigas

Oddly, its strength equals Groudon/Kyogre instead of Lguia/Ho-oh and it is locked away rather than having a sentient guardian role, waiting to be awakened... not to mention it has weird patterns over its body just like them and only in 1 colour (Rayquaza has 3: red, black and yellow. Making it even more clearly superior.)

b85833daea7158964457cec25c047955-d5l2bza.png

---The Tree of Legend---

Ironically besides the almost identical look, the lake guardians are surprisingly different.
Mesprit flies away at first sight, roaming the region, while Uxie seems like it is in hybernation.

After noticing this, it dawned on me,
The lake guardians are pixifications (lol) of the I, II, III trios.

-Azelf represents Will. The birds are the only trio that reside at places they chose.
-Uxie represents Knowledge and has closed eyes. The golems are sealed behind puzzles. Both are defensively oriented.
-Mesprit represents Emotion and flees. The Beasts are the only trio that roams the region after meeting them. Mesprit has balanced stats, the beasts are the only trio that balance out each others stats.

This connection completes the Tree of Legend so far.
Here it is:

77530786f31091955bf59a83effe4dda-d4s8p8r.png

Note how it resembles the tree of Life from the Kabbalah!

---Generation V---

A new beginning.
Not just did they chose a completely remote and unrelated region for this generation, but even the legends don't seem to fit anywhere in the old picture.

legends_gen4_by_saiph_charon-d5l2cha.png

First the elemental trio has returned.
And it has just a minor type modification to the previous (golems). Now, Rock and Steel were used a second time, but Ice replaced by something fresh: Grass.
The legendary musketeers.
Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion

Similar to Regigigas, they have a fourth member.
The Apprentice.
Keldeo
(Perhaps the next 2 trios will also have apprentices instead of guardians?)

Then there is the most contrasting mascots ever. They are black and white, Yin and Yang, Truth and Ideals.
The legendary dragons of Unova
Reshiram and Zekrom

But they also represent energy, two kinds of positive.
Hence there also exists a negative, an empty shell, the Wuji.
Kyurem

I assume this is the beginning of a second Tree of Legend.
We shall see.

--Interesting stuff about the traditional trios--

Since Gen III I noticed that there might be a system behind the trio types.
Most people thought that they just went random with the golems. But I saw the same anomaly as gen II:
Ice-Electric-Fire

Electric-Fire-Water
They replaced Ice with Water...or said differently, they repeated Electric and Fire.
Using the same types all the time would become amazingly boring, so they wouldn't use the same types forever.
So obviously gen III they did not use Fire and Electric for a third time... But, the other one that was left from the start: Ice.
Rock-Ice-Steel
So I kept wondering if they'd continue reusing these types as more trios are added, repeating each once.
Of course gen IV was a disappointment in this, due to giving us the pixifications instead of a proper trio.
But enter Gen V, OH LOOK the musketeers.
Steel-Rock-Grass
(one could argue whether Keldeo counts as the repetition of Water, since its a fourth member instead of a stronger guardian, but just being an event makes me doubt that.)

Which means... next up, Water and 2 unused ones? What are the options?
-Obviously not the secondary types: Flying, Fighting
-Obviously not Normal
-The pixies were enough of Psychic overuse.
-Bug, Dragon, don't feel elemental at all. The gaseous and shadowy aspect of Ghost might.
-Poison
-Dark
-and the most obvious choice of all: Ground

So then, my best guess would be Water, Ground, Something.

I could definitely see the next "lake guardians" being 3 Bugs, or 3 Ghosts... (Gen VIII anyone?)

Maybe the lake guardians are a vent for types they won't use in the diverse trios? That could mean that they intend to reuse each type 3 times, not just twice... but then its much more unpredictable anyway ;D

--Musketeers = western legendary Beasts?--

Its also interesting how the beasts and the musketeers are so alike an different at the same time.
They don't share any type, but both groups are quadrupedal, and their heights are the same:
Entei/Cobalion: 2.1m
Suicune/Virizon: 2.0m
Raikou/Terrakion: 1.9m
Also I'm pretty sure its not just me, they also have similar kinds of personalities, with how Entei/Cobalion look like the proud leaders, Raikou/Terrakion look aggressive, and Suicune/Virizion have a more feminine design, this simply cannot be coincidence.

And it raises an interesting question:
Lets say the next region happens to be right next to Unova (ala Kanto-Johto)... would that mean it will house 3 new legendary birds? Or perhaps just something similar to birds.

-Does this fascinate anyone beside me? xDDD

-Are you also curious what kind of legendaries we will see next?

-Do you think Gen VI and VII will build on V to create a second Tree of Legend?
--And will the next few trios also have "Apprentices" like Keldeo instead of guardians?

-Or is this unintended and several of these connections (pixification of trios, flying guardians..) merely coincidental?

Mitja said:

-Azelf represents Will. The birds are the only trio that reside at places they chose.
-Uxie represents Knowledge and has closed eyes. The golems are sealed behind puzzles. Both are defensively oriented.
-Mesprit represents Emotion and flees. The Beasts are the only trio that roams the region after meeting them. Mesprit has balanced stats, the beasts are the only trio that balance out each others stats.

This blew my mind. Seriously, Charon. Do you do anything other than think about Pokémon all day? :p
Awesome theories.

EDIT: There is another thing I've noticed... Azelf and Articuno share the same color and (in english) the same first letter. The same goes for Moltres/Mesprit, with both being redish and starting with 'M'. Uxie and Zapdos at least share the yellow color. Some thoughts about that?

Delta Nite said:
Mitja said:

This blew my mind. Seriously, Charon. Do you do anything other than think about Pokémon all day? :p
Awesome theories.

EDIT: There is another thing I've noticed... Azelf and Articuno share the same color and (in english) the same first letter. The same goes for Moltres/Mesprit, with both being redish and starting with 'M'. Uxie and Zapdos at least share the yellow color. Some thoughts about that?

No, thats all I do eOe

Moltres is yellow-orange and red at most if you count the flames, Mesprit is magenta (coming from the pink side).
Articunos japanese name is Freezer, Moltres is literally named Fire, while Mesprit is Emrit.

The dimension trio and lake guardians are the primary colours magenta, cyan and yellow (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza are the primary light colours on the other hand red/blue/green), whereas the birds are just the obvious color choices for their energetic elemental types of ice electric and fire.

Nice. I believe most of these are true. I am not so sure of the connection between Regigias with Groundon and Kyogre and the connection between Rayquaza with Lugia and Ho-Oh. The one of the Pixie trio may seem odd. What if instead of making another Tree of Legend, they will make a bigger Tree of Legend? Adding the other ones to the "Mix".

WARNING: pure speculation ahead.

I have just contemplated the idea of each type being used three times.

type_trios_copy_by_saiph_charon-d5lac57.png

I figured that this is the most elegant way to continue the trio pattern.

It would finish with generation 12, and have used all 16 types (excluding Normal), exactly 3 times each.

The question is, in what order and combination do the lower types go in the missing places?

Of course each column of 3 should be interesting on its own just like the birds (core elemental/energy diversity), beasts (same), golems (3 solid types), musketeers (natural habitats: caves and forest).

I could see it go this way:

VI: Water, Ground, Poison (lolwut.... maybe something like golems, but liquids: water, mud, acid)
VII:Ground/Dark, Poison/Dark, Ice/Dark (3 creepy monsters that live underground)
IX: Grass, Fire, Water (lol, starter types for legendaries? awesome)
X: Rock, Ground, Steel (minerals, all earth related)
XI: Grass/Dragon, Electric/Dragon, Poison/Dragon (awesome exotic dragons, fair enough.)

But by the time we get to these dragons..... there would be:
-1500 Pokemon
-at least 3 Arceus-like legendaries
-12 sets of starters
-perhaps 10 villainous teams
-12 regions
-and a shitload of remakes every year /jk

LMAO

Flygon2071 said:
Nice. I believe most of these are true. I am not so sure of the connection between Regigias with Groundon and Kyogre and the connection between Rayquaza with Lugia and Ho-Oh. The one of the Pixie trio may seem odd. What if instead of making another Tree of Legend, they will make a bigger Tree of Legend? Adding the other ones to the "Mix".

Yeah, the fishy parts are the Hoenn connection and the flying guardians.
Well at least for the first, Regigigas is obviously related to the golems which are from Hoenn, so thats at least something.
Unlike the Flying guardians, which has nothing real to back it up beyond similarities.
(Also, notice how they make a downside and upside triangle, one airborne, the other three stuck on the surface)

I did think they would continue expanding it instead of making more, but I became a Poke-atheist around HGSS, meaning I don't believe Arceus really created much except for a Dimension Legend egg every once in a long time.
When they announced that gen V would be a completely different part of the planet, I got even more confident, because, assuming that the creation story of Sinnoh is really a myth, even in the games world, I could see there being more Arceus-like Pokemon once in every 4 or so generations. Perhaps all in very distant regions from one another, Arceus being the big creation legendary of "japanese" set of regions.

After I noticed that the structure resembles the tree of life.. I figured that you can make the flower of life by sticking together 6 trees of life xD

Of course I might be on the completely wrong track with the whole tree of life thing and assuming that Arceus isn't the only creation legendary.

I just don't see where the gen V guys could possibly fit into this first tree, which looks so pretty right now.
For the musketeers to get a column parallel to the other trios, there would need to be a fourth pixie and dimension legend..

Unless they'd come back to Arceus on top again, but 3 new dimension legends and pixies LOL.......

I think you're grasping at straws here. There's definitely some obvious connections among some of the legendaries, but I think it's ridiculous to say that all of them are completely connected like that.

Mitja said:
Since Kanto and Johto are the only closely related regions so far (even sharing the same pokemon league), we can tie the legendary birds to Lugia based on that, although there is no actual relation presented in the games.
9e56626206e692939a47aad448f196b7-d5l28nc.png

This is pretty much the least obvious one. Lugia definitely is the legendary birds' trio master, but not simply because of their proximity to each other. It's been implied through the anime and HGSS trailers. It's kind of subtle, but it's there.

Mitja said:
We see that Rayquaza has a similar role to Lugia and Ho-oh, being a guardian-figure. They also look just as diverse as Lugia and Ho-oh do next to each other. When you add the fact that they are all Flying, equally powerful and rest on Towers constructed for them, it becomes impossible to ignore a connection here.
Hence the triangle of the Flying guardians in this picture, connecting the legends of Kanto and Johto, with the legends of Hoenn.

This is right about where your theory falls apart. There's no real strong connection between Rayquaza and Lugia and Ho-oh. The only real connection they have is type and the fact that there are revered as legendaries, that's it, and that's not significant enough to connect them.

Mitja said:
They are closely related to this generations mascots, even down to the same main colours.
Dimension trio.
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina

I don't see any significant connection between the Pixies and Creation trio individually, although there is still a connection. Recall from Platinum that Cyrus mentioned that together, the Pixie trio is as powerful as one of the Creation trio, so there's that. But besides that, I don't see any significant individual relationship.

Mitja said:
Oddly, its strength equals Groudon/Kyogre instead of Lguia/Ho-oh and it is locked away rather than having a sentient guardian role, waiting to be awakened... not to mention it has weird patterns over its body just like them and only in 1 colour (Rayquaza has 3: red, black and yellow. Making it even more clearly superior.)

b85833daea7158964457cec25c047955-d5l2bza.png

Again, body patterns are not a significant enough connection. In terms of the legends behind them, Regigigas doesn't really parallel Groudon and Kyogre. Groudon creates the land and Kyogre creates the sea. Regigigas doesn't have a parallel to that. According to legends, it towed continents around, so that gives it a very loose connection to Groudon, but none to Kyogre, and since Regigias lacks a counterpart that has a similar connection to Kyogre, the connection between the three falls apart.

Mitja said:

I'm going to say maybe on this one. I don't think the other trios' connection parallels the Pixies' to Knowledge, Emotion, and Willpower, but it's possible.

Also, there's a ton of legendaries that you've said nothing about, namely:

-Mewtwo
-Mew
-Celebi
-Latios
-Latias
-Jirachi
-Deoxys
-Heatran
-Cresselia
-Darkrai
-Manaphy
-Phione (if you count it)
-Shaymin
-Victini
-Tornadus
-Thundurus
-Landorus
-Meloetta
-Genesect

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Arceus is mostly white, though it has yellow arch-things on its back and some grey on it's tail, chest, and face.
Now in B/W and B2/W2 it's said over and over that Reshiram and Zekrom were once one very powerful pokemon, and Kyurem is the left over shell. The Unova legendaries (Rehiram, Zekrom, Kyurem) are very similar, if combined, to Arceus' design. Reshiram is white, and that is Arceus' main color. Arceus has a yellow arch on it's back, and Zekrom using Lightning as one of it's types, Lightning=yellow. And Kyurem has deformed wings that resemble Arceus' arch.
Probally nothing, but it's just something I've been wondering about since I first played B/W.

Keeper of Night said:
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Arceus is mostly white, though it has yellow arch-things on its back and some grey on it's tail, chest, and face.
Now in B/W and B2/W2 it's said over and over that Reshiram and Zekrom were once one very powerful pokemon, and Kyurem is the left over shell. The Unova legendaries (Rehiram, Zekrom, Kyurem) are very similar, if combined, to Arceus' design. Reshiram is white, and that is Arceus' main color. Arceus has a yellow arch on it's back, and Zekrom using Lightning as one of it's types, Lightning=yellow. And Kyurem has deformed wings that resemble Arceus' arch.
Probally nothing, but it's just something I've been wondering about since I first played B/W.

So you think Arceus is the Original Dragon? Interesting. I kind of doubt it because Arceus isn't particularly draconic (it can become Dragon type with the Draco Plate, but it can beceome every other type as well, so it's a moot point). I think next gen they might elaborate and maybe even reveal who the Original Dragon really is, and it would possibly take the place of the Tao Trio's trio master.

Bolt the Cat said:
This is pretty much the least obvious one. Lugia definitely is the legendary birds' trio master, but not simply because of their proximity to each other. It's been implied through the anime and HGSS trailers. It's kind of subtle, but it's there.

I tried not to rely on anything anime-related, since the games are canon, they expand the dex, plot and everything.
HGSS trailer... can you elaborate or link me? If that kind of evidence exists I really want to see it.

Bolt the Cat said:
This is right about where your theory falls apart. There's no real strong connection between Rayquaza and Lugia and Ho-oh. The only real connection they have is type and the fact that there are revered as legendaries, that's it, and that's not significant enough to connect them.

There probably was no intended connection behind these when they made them. And Lugia&Ho-oh are more contrastingly similar between themselves than to Rayquaza.

But even if coincidental, there is more than those bits:

-secondary Flying
(the primary types of Lugia/Ho-oh seem to have no duality logic behind them, so Dragon next to them feels a "natural" addition)
-stats (680)
-mascot legend
-a guardian role above specific weaker legendaries
-rests on tower that was built for it

Tbh the actual case is merely that Lugia/Ho-oh were used as prototypes for Rayquaza, which was then adjusted to fit its purpose in Hoenn and there is likely no connection beyond this.

Bolt the Cat said:
Also, there's a ton of legendaries that you've said nothing about, namely:

-Mewtwo
-Mew
-Celebi
-Latios
-Latias
-Jirachi
-Deoxys
-Heatran
-Cresselia
-Darkrai
-Manaphy
-Phione (if you count it)
-Shaymin
-Victini
-Tornadus
-Thundurus
-Landorus
-Meloetta
-Genesect

Link in first sentence.

Bolt the Cat said:
So you think Arceus is the Original Dragon? Interesting. I kind of doubt it because Arceus isn't particularly draconic (it can become Dragon type with the Draco Plate, but it can beceome every other type as well, so it's a moot point).

Exactly, that would mean it could change into Fire, Lightning, and Ice as well.

Mitja said:
I tried not to rely on anything anime-related, since the games are canon, they expand the dex, plot and everything.
HGSS trailer... can you elaborate or link me? If that kind of evidence exists I really want to see it.

Well again, it's really subtle, probably not worth mentioning, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPA4GXnZ3I

Skip to 3:05.

Keeper of Night said:

And Grass, and Water, and everything else not related to the Tao trio. Plus, Arceus isn't a Dragon by default, so that kind of rules him out.

Bolt the Cat said:
Keeper of Night said:

And Grass, and Water, and everything else not related to the Tao trio. Plus, Arceus isn't a Dragon by default, so that kind of rules him out.

I know, I was just pointing out something that caught my eye. Make of it what you will.

Keeper of Night said:
I know, I was just pointing out something that caught my eye. Make of it what you will.

It's not really noteworthy, though. If Arceus had anything to do with the Original Dragon, we'd know it by now.

Bolt the Cat said:
Keeper of Night said:

It's not really noteworthy, though. If Arceus had anything to do with the Original Dragon, we'd know it by now.

And why would that be? We may not know until we get another generation.

Arceus created the dimension trio, and even though they have the same facial design, implying the same "kind" of creature, their main types are not Dragon.

Back when the first art of Reshiram and Zekrom was revealed, I was waiting for confirmation of their type ORDER, exactly for this reason. To see if it is "another trio of dragons like in DPt" or not.
And guess what.
b7yv81.jpg

So simply on this basis I dismissed any relation to the Sinnoh set of creation legends back before BW were even released.
Because if the dragons (which means the Unova ones) were meant to be related with Arceus even in some remote hidden way, they would have at least made them Element/Dragon, but no they went for proper Dragons this time.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

Well again, it's really subtle, probably not worth mentioning, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPA4GXnZ3I

Skip to 3:05.

For real. Thanks man this could come in handy.

@ Bolt the Cat, the pixies are the Red Chain keys. They are the reason that Palkia and Dialga weren't actually there. This is even in Platinum. They are definitely related to the Creation Trio. Also, the Original Dragon is probably Kyurem/Reshiram/Zekrom fusion. The legend of the two heroes said the dragon was one Pokemon then split into two, and Kyurem requires on of those two to change form. Kyurem is apparently from space, but that could be because of Palkia, or anything that can send stuff outa here.

Blui129 said:
The legend of the two heroes said the dragon was one Pokemon then split into two, and Kyurem requires on of those two to change form.

When the original dragon split, it basically split into 3.
2 polar opposites of energy and the energyless "corpse".

Blui129 said:
Kyurem is apparently from space,

My guess is that when the dragon split, it burst into the sky at the same time. Reshiram and Zekrom fully airborne, flew wherever, Kyurem is just the leftover, and fell back down, creating the Giant Chasm.

Blui129 said:
but that could be because of Palkia, or anything that can send stuff outa here.

Palkia has no specific relation to outer space... it can manipulate dimensional space.

Maybe the original Dragon is as powerful as Arceus. Maybe if you fusion the three (like black/white Kyurem) you will get the original. Kyurem originally had 660 Base Stats. Black/White Kyurem have 700. It is possible that it will reach (and even surpass) Arceus. Maybe it will be Dragon/Ice or Dragon and the ability to change between the 3.

Blui129 said:
@ Bolt the Cat, the pixies are the Red Chain keys. They are the reason that Palkia and Dialga weren't actually there. This is even in Platinum. They are definitely related to the Creation Trio.

No, I know the Pixies are related to the Creation Trio, just not on a one to one relationship like the OP suggested. The Pixie Trio together are equal to just one of the Creation Trio (this is explicitly stated by Cyrus in Platinum, who mentions that together, the Pixies can only control time OR space, but not both).

Back