The Top Cut Shutting Down

RideLith

All theory. No action.
Official announcement: http://thetopcut.net/2015/03/30/announcement-the-top-cut-shutting-down/

Video Announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZP42M6cXuU

The Top Cut is a YouTube channel and a website dedicated to Pokémon TCG competitive and casual play. It has been a source of content, deck lists and championship footage for 4 years and now it's announced that it will no longer produce content. It's main contributor - Kyle "Pooka" Sucevich - is no longer able to run the channel after accepting a position in Pokémon International. Kyle has been a tournament player for over a decade and has starred as an official commentator on the last major TCG events (expeculation: wich is probably his new position in Pokémon International).

The youtube channel has been a source of archetypes, deck lists and overall PTCGO footage for a long time. Many of us got back to the TCG after watching The Top Cut videos. It is a really big loss to the community to see this channel shut down, and I couldn't help but feel really emotional after the final words of Pooka in his last video.

Looking foward to Kyle's career in Pokémon International. He deserved being hired, and I expect years of good commentary to come in major events.

Discuss.

This is too close to April Fool's for me to take seriously. If this is still happening in three days, then I'll weigh in.

Meh... but it was already announced yesterday, two days before April Fool's...

In the past, april fools jokes on pb were sometimes planned weeks in advance. Two days means nothing. Unless he posts, clarifying it's not a joke, then it's a joke.

I really doubt it's an April's Fools joke... However, the fact that the whole Virbank City FB Group is practically in mourning for this, makes that theory very believable. xD

If it actually is true, then kudos to Kyle. It's only fair that he got a job in what he loves the most after all he has done to the international community. I'll miss his videos and his unique way of deck-building (which, sadly, I gotta say that it was getting weirder and weirder...), but it'll be for the best. TPCi might be doing a project where Kyle does this under TPCi's name. Who knows? :)

I hope it's not a joke
This is the TCGs chance to bring in an expert and make the format as balanced as possible. I think that's what TPCI is planning.

I'm going to miss his videos, but I'm also very happy for him, what a dream come true it must be! Congratulations to him!

Kyle's videos is the whole reason I got into the competitive TCG. Without them I'd still be playing modified theme decks. I'm really sad to see them shutting down but it's great that he's landed his dream job.

On his Facebook he's listed his job as "Research and Development Associate". I guess that means he's working on game balancing and card design? I always thought that was all done in Japan and the westerners just reprinted and distributed it but maybe they have input too.

On a related note: who should I watch now for my PTCGO YouTube fix? I tried FishKnuckles but I wasn't really a fan.

Well, if it isn't an April 1st joke, then it's going to be hard to find a YouTube channel to replace him. I've been out of the loop for awhile and I've gotta learn to be competitive again....

Damn. I haven't felt this way since the Nostalgia Critic announced his retirement back in 2012 (yeah, I know he's back now, but I didn't know that at the time).

Back