• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Stormy Reign of the Seismic Ninja (Gyarados EX / Slowking / Greninja / Seismitoad)

DTheConqueror

Pokemon Researcher
I was at home thinking to myself, "Hmmm... What if I put all of my favourite cards into one deck, and this deck was born! I put loads of trainer cards for excellent drawing power and strength I think it is pretty good but there is room for improvement. I tested it out on PTCGO and it is fairly adequate but does poorly against other water decks and falls short of victory if you cant get out a Gyarados, Glaile, or Regice when going against Grass decks. The question is how do I improve it?

Pokemon: 17
  • 2 Froakie (BKP)
  • 2 Frogadier (BKP)
  • 2 Greninja (BKP)
  • 1 Glalie EX (BKT)
  • 2 Gyarados EX (BKP)
  • 1 Magikarp (AOR)
  • 1 Gyarados (with ancient trait) (AOR)
  • 1 Regice (AOR)
  • 1 Slowpoke (BKP)
  • 1 Slowking (BKP)
  • 1 Tympole (BKP)
  • 1 Palpitoad (BKP)
  • 1 Seismitoad (BKP)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 2 Ace Trainer (AOR)
  • 1 Battle Reporter (FSF)
  • 1 Bursting Balloon (BKP)
  • 1 Delinquent (BKP)
  • 1 Energy Retrieval (PRC)
  • 1 Evosoda (XY)
  • 1 Fighting Fury Belt (BKP)
  • 1 Hard Charm (XY)
  • 2 Level Ball (NXD)
  • 1 Lucky Helmet (AOR)
  • 1 Max potion (EP)
  • 1 Misty's Determination (BKP)
  • 1 Mountain Ring (FSF)
  • 1 Muscle Band (XY)
  • 1 Pokemon Center Lady (FLF)
  • 1 Pokemon Fan Club (FLF)
  • 1 Potion (?)
  • 2 Professors Letter (XY)
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observtions (AOR)
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Psychic's Third Eye (BKP)
  • 1 Skyla (BDC)
  • 3 Tierno (PHF)
  • 1 VS Seeker (PHF)
  • 1 Wally (ROS)
Energy: 12
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy (PHF)
  • 2 Splash Energy (BKP)
  • 8 Water Energy
Strategy:

You could also replace the Seismitoad line with a Greninja Break, a Palkia EX, and a Manaphy EX, but sadly I don't have those cards so I didn't put them in.

The first strategy here is to be able to churn out a mountain being then playing Gyarados EX. In this deck greninja works to defend until Gyarados has enough energy to battle. Once Gyarados is in, he can wreck havoc until he dies without harming the benched Pokemon. I put Seismitoad in because after Gyarados EX has died he can use siphon off to bring back the energy that was lost during the battle. I put in a Glalie with a battle reporter for the classic trick to enable each player to have the same amount of cards. If you put in Greninja Break, Palkia EX, and Manaphy EX, you lose a bit more energy, but charging up Gyarados is easier. I put in Slowking because it can disrupt most strategies by moving energy from the opponents active Pokemon to a Pokemon that doesn't need it.

So Tell me what you think, how could I improve it, and are there any new cards in Fates Collide I could add?
Based on Recent posts I've adjusted thedeck a bit:

Pokémon - 16

2 Greninja BREAK BKP 41
2 Froakie BKP 38
2 Frogadier BKP 39
1 Greninja BKP 40
1 Greninja BKP 40
1 Gyarados-EX PR-XY XY 106
1 Gyarados-EX BKP 26
1 M Gyarados-EX BKP 115
1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
1 Palkia-EX BKP 31
1 Regice AOR 24
1 Slowpoke BKP 19
1 Slowking BKP 21

Trainer Cards - 32

4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
1 Escape Rope PLS 120
1 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
1 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
4 Dive Ball PRC 125
1 Delinquent BKP 98
2 Energy Retrieval PLB 80
1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
1 Muscle Band XY 121
2 Rough Seas PRC 137
1 Misty's Determination BKP 104
1 Evosoda XY 116
3 Professor's Letter XY 123
1 Max Potion BKP 103
2 Ace Trainer AOR 69
1 Hard Charm XY 119
2 Pokémon Catcher BKP 105

Energy - 12

8 Water Energy
2 Splash Energy BKP 113
2 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

In this deck I've gotten rid of the Seismitoad line, AOR Gyarados and Glalie EX. I've added Palkia-EX, and M Gyarados-EX. I've also taken the liberty of adding Manaphy EX after seeing a similar deck use manaphy to switch out Gyarados and heal it slowly while its on the bench (using Rough Seas). Thank you to LoneWolf2113 for the pros and cons list, it helped me alot in choosing who went and who stayed. Also Thanks to Royal for the trainer suggestions. I have actually maxed out Professor Sycamore, but not Birch. I also put in the Dive Ball to replace the Level Ball, and Wally. My biggest worry is that it lacks basic pokemon, but we'll see in due time. Thanks so much for the Input. I'll be testing this deck and looking at how well it plays, especially against Vespi/Plume (My deck's biggest weakness, also my sister runs it!). Thanks Again, and I'll keep you all posted on the decks feasibility. If I go to Worlds someday though, I am definitely running a variant of this deck!

There are multiple universes in the multiverse, but I feel that somehow I got stuck on the only one where Pokemon only exist as a game and not as real creatures!

Last edited:
Hmm. This deck is like 6 different decks in one. I feel like first you should decide on which of these cards you'd like to focus on, then it'd be easier to trim the fat, so to speak. So there are about 6 different deck options in here: Greninja, Gyarados EX, Glalie EX, Slowking/Seismitoad EX, Regice AOR, and Gyarados AOR. Really it comes down to which one you'd rather play. Here are some pros and cons to each deck:

Greninja BREAK:
Pros- High damage output, ability lock, one prize attackers
Cons- Takes a couple turns to get set up, can have a hard time against Vespi/Plume

M Gyarados EX/Palkia EX:
Pros- Super fun, Hits hard and out of nowhere, High HP main attacker
Cons- Hard time against Vespi/Plume, High energy requirement

Glalie EX:
Pros- Instant Freeze with Judge can do quite a bit and limit your opponent, Online by turn 2
Cons- Inconsistent, Hits for a max of 150 as opposed to 170 or 180, Low hand size and therefore low options

Seismitoad EX/Slowking:
Pros- Item Lock, Energy Lock, Annoying
Cons- Awful Vespi/Plume matchup, Low damage output, Manaphy EX is a must, concept works on a coin flip

Regice:
Pros- Walls against EX decks well, pairs well with Mega Manectric EX, easy to power up
Cons- Falls easily to Night March and Vespiquen, The wall can be broken by Escape Rope and Lysandre

Gyarados AOR:
Pros- Can hit can pretty easily, can be given type bonuses by Flareon/Jolteon AOR, Theta Double, One prize attacker
Cons- Requires Magma Stadium, Bats can be trouble, can't OHKO everything especially with the popularity of Fighting Fury Belt.

Hope this helps!
LoneWolf2113

I definitely agree with the post above,
while you might like these Pokémon the more different strategies you try to implement into a deck the less consistent it gets,
You are running 4 different evolution lines, which means you are almost bound to open with non matching evolution parts.
Gyarados stage 1 and the stage 2 seismitoad won't do anything significiant unless you have the entire deck build around them (and even then they tend to fall behind)
first of all you should try cutting those and adding more greninja parts
Your trainer lineup needs some improving too, with that many trainers you'll almost never draw into the card you need the most

Evosoda
Battle Reporter
Bursting Balloon
Levelball
Lucky Helmet
Mountain Ring
Pokémon Center Lady
Potion
Psychics Third Eye
Tierno
and Wally
all of these cards have better options that would compliment your deck instead of harming it

there is absolutely no reason to run potion when you could run 3 Rough seas in an all blue build instead it heals for 30 every turn not just once
you are not running diveball which currently would search you any pokemon out of your deck
you are running 3 tierno but only prof sycamore
fighting fury belt when the majority of your attackers is stage 1 and up

to improve the deck you should probably max out: sycamore, birch observation, vs seeker, diveball
try getting three copies of rough seas, muscle band and each of your core pokemon

Thanks for the input. I'll try to update the deck with your suggestions. I'll post the improved deck soon.

Based on Recent posts I've adjusted the deck a bit:

Pokémon - 16

2 Greninja BREAK BKP 41
2 Froakie BKP 38
2 Frogadier BKP 39
1 Greninja BKP 40
1 Greninja BKP 40
1 Gyarados-EX BKP 26
1 M Gyarados-EX BKP 115
1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
1 Palkia-EX BKP 31
1 Regice AOR 24
1 Slowpoke BKP 19
1 Slowking BKP 21

Trainer Cards - 32

1 Escape Rope PLS 120
1 VS Seeker PHF 109
4 Dive Ball PRC 125
1 Delinquent BKP 98
1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
1 Muscle Band XY 121
2 Rough Seas PRC 137
1 Evosoda XY 116
1 Max Potion BKP 103
2 Ace Trainer AOR 69
1 Hard Charm XY 119

Energy - 12

8 Water Energy
2 Splash Energy BKP 113

In this deck I've gotten rid of the Seismitoad line, AOR Gyarados and Glalie EX. I've added Palkia-EX, and M Gyarados-EX. I've also taken the liberty of adding Manaphy EX after seeing a similar deck use manaphy to switch out Gyarados and heal it slowly while its on the bench (using Rough Seas). Thank you to LoneWolf2113 for the pros and cons list, it helped me alot in choosing who went and who stayed. Also Thanks to Royal for the trainer suggestions. I have actually maxed out Professor Sycamore, but not Birch. I also put in the Dive Ball to replace the Level Ball, and Wally. My biggest worry is that it lacks basic pokemon, but we'll see in due time. Thanks so much for the Input. I'll be testing this deck and looking at how well it plays, especially against Vespi/Plume (My deck's biggest weakness, also my sister runs it!). Thanks Again, and I'll keep you all posted on the decks feasibility. If I go to Worlds someday though, I am definitely running a variant of this deck!

Again, this deck is a bit underfocused. If I may make a suggestion, here is a sample list for a more honed deck:

Pokemon - 18
4 Froakie BKP
4 Frogadier BKP
3 Greninja BKP
1 Greninja XY
3 Greninja BREAK
1 Remoraid BKT
1 Octillery BKT
1 Jirachi XY67

Trainers - 34
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Ace Trainer
2 N
1 Lysandre
1 Wally
2 Fisherman
4 VS Seeker
3 Dive Ball
2 Level Ball
1 Float Stone
4 Trainers' Mail
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Town Map
1 Sacred Ash
1 Battle Compressor
2 Startling Megaphone
2 Rough Seas

Energy - 8
8 Water Energy

This is a pretty typical Greninja BREAK list that is pretty consistent, and isn't extremely costly to build. The focus of the deck is to obviously put damage on with Giant Water Shuriken and to use Greninja BKP's Shadow Stitching attack to cancel out your opponent's abilities.

Based on Recent posts I've adjusted the deck a bit:

Pokémon - 16

2 Greninja BREAK BKP 41
2 Froakie BKP 38
2 Frogadier BKP 39
1 Greninja BKP 40
1 Greninja BKP 40
1 Gyarados-EX BKP 26
1 M Gyarados-EX BKP 115
1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
1 Palkia-EX BKP 31
1 Regice AOR 24
1 Slowpoke BKP 19
1 Slowking BKP 21

Trainer Cards - 32

1 Escape Rope PLS 120
1 VS Seeker PHF 109
4 Dive Ball PRC 125
1 Delinquent BKP 98
1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
1 Muscle Band XY 121
2 Rough Seas PRC 137
1 Evosoda XY 116
1 Max Potion BKP 103
2 Ace Trainer AOR 69
1 Hard Charm XY 119

Energy - 12

8 Water Energy
2 Splash Energy BKP 113

Could you please update the deck list in your original post instead of posting a new deck list each time? Thanks!

Back