The Storms ~ This format was ours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Storms ~ This format is ours! *Always accepting members*

I went 7th with Spiriplox at my most previous Cities, where losing the last swiss round knocked me out of the top cut. 2nd at my nearby Rockville Cities with Glistomb. I wish I could have gotten to more Cities, but thanks to all of the snow up here in Maryland I couldn't make it to a lot of Cities.

It really sucks that a deck i thought would be good is probably gonna be meta (feraligatr prime) :(

sonicyellow said:
It really sucks that a deck i thought would be good is probably gonna be meta (feraligatr prime) :(

What's the problem with that? Feraligatr can't be Sprayed (actually, it can but you can keep using his power :p) and with his power you can quickly be doing some high damage. Sounds very good to me.

Gliscor said:
Last swiss game at Cities. Me (Spiriplox) vs. my friend playing Gengar. He had a horrible start, and I had an awesome start. Then he topdecked a Claydol, Cosmic Powered, and in about three turns he was fully setup. Spiriplox hates me >_>

Donphan isn't on the list? It's actually one of the donk decks that can continue to do well even if it fails to donk. The 20 HP guard allows it to live longer, and by the time you can get 3 energy on Primephan you are already doing 90 damage.

Oh, wow. You have to admit, the matchup was in his favor. That's just how the cards stack. Did you play any Team Galactic's Wager in your deck? That might have helped stop him. Also, Nidoqueen tech? That helps the matchup.

The reason Donophan isn't on the list isn't because I think it's a bad deck; on the contrary, Donophan has even more potential than Machamp in this format, being able to donk SPs even when they have Unown G attached. The only reason I don't think it will do well is because Feraligatr will see play. While Donophan can put a serious dent into Feraligatr (of course, Spiritomb helps in that regard), Feraligatr has the advantage of weakness, and with decent recovery, you'll be able to sweep Donophan's entire field. I just don't see any REAL answer against Feraligatr. You can tech against it, but Donophan isn't exactly a deck that had the luxury of teching. It does best as a donk deck, and if you tech stuff into it, the chances of donking might be reduced. If you can find a good, consistent answer to Feraligatr, though, give Donophan a try.

PokeChamp said:
Oh, wow. You have to admit, the matchup was in his favor. That's just how the cards stack. Did you play any Team Galactic's Wager in your deck? That might have helped stop him. Also, Nidoqueen tech? That helps the matchup.

The reason Donophan isn't on the list isn't because I think it's a bad deck; on the contrary, Donophan has even more potential than Machamp in this format, being able to donk SPs even when they have Unown G attached. The only reason I don't think it will do well is because Feraligatr will see play. While Donophan can put a serious dent into Feraligatr (of course, Spiritomb helps in that regard), Feraligatr has the advantage of weakness, and with decent recovery, you'll be able to sweep Donophan's entire field. I just don't see any REAL answer against Feraligatr. You can tech against it, but Donophan isn't exactly a deck that had the luxury of teching. It does best as a donk deck, and if you tech stuff into it, the chances of donking might be reduced. If you can find a good, consistent answer to Feraligatr, though, give Donophan a try.

'Gatr lacks an attacker that can 1HKO Donphan consistently IIRC. Belt also goes along way in stoping 'Gatr. It's still a VERY hard matchup but it isnt an autoloss like people think.

PokeKid Brandon said:
'Gatr lacks an attacker that can 1HKO Donphan consistently IIRC. Belt also goes along way in stoping 'Gatr. It's still a VERY hard matchup but it isnt an autoloss like people think.

I wouldn't say it lacks an attacker. Gatr can use Floatzel GL Lv.X, the regular Gatr with Surf, as well as Starmie HG/SS. While most variants don't rely on brute force, it can easily make space for it.

I never said it was an auto-loss. I simply stated that in order for Donophan to be any good it has to find a way to beat Gatr.

Gliscor said:
What's the problem with that? Feraligatr can't be Sprayed (actually, it can but you can keep using his power :p) and with his power you can quickly be doing some high damage. Sounds very good to me.

Because now alot of people are gonna run it or expect it so a counter will be made for it.

sonicyellow said:
Because now alot of people are gonna run it or expect it so a counter will be made for it.

Precisely. Hence the return of Plox. With Double Colorless, a T2 lock is possible. I've found that the best way to beat Gatr is to shut off its Power. Without a Power, Gatr is essentially just a fancy looking card with a semi-decent attack. Nothing more.

@gliscor ~ Go-pokemon.com is now updated (looks awesome now :D) but it still doesn't let ppl log in. :/

It let me login but it only had states till like the middle of BRs

Continuing the Gatr discussion, it is a really good card but still has some bad matchups. If a Plox gets out with a DCE on the SW Gardy, then Gatr is going to be slowed down quite a lot due to the loss of its power. In terms of weakness, Jumpluff can one-shot Gatr if you there are a total of five Pokemon benched, with Jumpluff can do quite easily with Pichu.

Personally, I think Gatr will still do very well especially with Dawn Stadium, but it does have some pretty bad matchups.

Gliscor said:
Continuing the Gatr discussion, it is a really good card but still has some bad matchups. If a Plox gets out with a DCE on the SW Gardy, then Gatr is going to be slowed down quite a lot due to the loss of its power. In terms of weakness, Jumpluff can one-shot Gatr if you there are a total of five Pokemon benched, with Jumpluff can do quite easily with Pichu.

Personally, I think Gatr will still do very well especially with Dawn Stadium, but it does have some pretty bad matchups.

That's true. Jumpluff is going to be trouble for Gatr. Perhaps an Exploud SV tech? Or maybe even Bubble Coat? What do you suggest?

Dawn Stadium is plain broken in Feraligatr. But if you ask me, BTS is probably the better option, both to counter Spiritomb and for Croconaw's Power.

:/ now when i go to go-pokemon.com, it rederects me here \:

i hope that means they mixed together so they're one site now. Its currently still constructing apparently...

@pokechamp: my blastigator deck was currently only tested agains jumpluff and it won 1-0 :p

sonicyellow said:
:/ now when i go to go-pokemon.com, it rederects me here \:

i hope that means they mixed together so they're one site now. Its currently still constructing apparently...

@pokechamp: my blastigator deck was currently only tested agains jumpluff and it won 1-0 :p

How did you deal with Jumpluff? Special techs? What was the matchup like?

Were you facing against a good Jumpluff list? A good one should have Shaymin Lv.X, a Pichu or two, Cherim (a combo between SF and AR) and some cards that give a speed boost.

@PokeChamp: I guess you could run both Dawn Stadium and BTS for Gatr. Or it just depends on your meta. If Spiritomb decks are popular, then you should run BTS. If it isn't, then Dawn Stadium is the way to go. Or, just plain speed could be another reason.

PokeChamp said:
How did you deal with Jumpluff? Special techs? What was the matchup like?
Gliscor said:
Were you facing against a good Jumpluff list? A good one should have Shaymin Lv.X, a Pichu or two, Cherim (a combo between SF and AR) and some cards that give a speed boost.

@PokeChamp: I guess you could run both Dawn Stadium and BTS for Gatr. Or it just depends on your meta. If Spiritomb decks are popular, then you should run BTS. If it isn't, then Dawn Stadium is the way to go. Or, just plain speed could be another reason.

i had floatzel gl lv. x on the benchh along with feraligatr and afew others (claydol uxie and spiritomb) and blastoise BSD active and he had 2 cherim 1 shaymin lv. x and margarine (butterfree) who he soon replaced with jumpluff. whenever blastoise died it went back to my hand and since bts was in play i just put blastoise on again and put the energy back on then free retreated floatzel lv. x. rinse and repeat.

EDIT: i posted my deck here (theres a link in my sig)

I'm guessing that you were able to get out a fast Floatzel GL Lv.X out, so whenever Jumpluff were to KO you BTS+ Prime Gatr would just allow you to keep on doing damaging Jumpluff. Still, I'm pretty surprised that you were able to keep doing that with the amount of benched Pokemon you have.

i saw something a few pages back abiout donphan being better than machamp. so is it possible for Flyphan to come? with DCE it would be great.

richkid50000 said:
i saw something a few pages back abiout donphan being better than machamp. so is it possible for Flyphan to come? with DCE it would be great.

Who knows? They both don't use a lot of energy, and both can do a lot of damage. Donphan on one hand can reduce damage, and any backfire damage with its first attack can be healed with Nidoqueen. And now with DCE, Flygon is a lot faster. Dongon (just a funnier name) could be pretty powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back