XY The Regional Pokedex -- What we know is in it so far

Zoroark316

5 time champion, going on 6.
I just thought I would make a thread listing all known pokemon in the regional pokedex for x and y.
Anything in parenthesis means that it is implied by the presence of an evolutionary stage or other means, such as panpour and pansage by the presence of pansear

Chespin
-----
-----
Fennekin
-----
-----
Froakie
-----
-----
Patrat
(Watchog)
(Golett)
Golurk
Munchlax
(Snorlax)
Magikarp
(Gyarados)
Audino
(Tympole)
Palpitoad
(Seismitoad)
Meinfoo
(Meinshao)
Psyduck
(Golduck)
Litwick
(Lampent)
(Chandelure)
(Pichu)
Pikachu
(Raichu)
(Sneasel)
(Weavile)
(Ralts)
Kirlia
(Gardevior)
(Gallade)
(Pansage)
(Simisage)
Pansear
(Simisear)
(Panpour)
(Simipour)
(Eevee)
(Leafeon)
(Glaceon)
(Umbreon)
(Espeon)
(Jolteon)
(Flareon)
(Vaporeon)
Dratini
(Dragonair)
(Dragonite)
Yvetal
Xerneas

This brings our grand total of known pokemon up to 56. I will edit this as more surfaces.

What do you think we can expect?

RE: The Regional Pokedex - What we know so far

I'd wager probably around 100 more or so to fill up the regional dex. Somewhere between 150 and 200.

I hope they go the Black/White 2 route and have like 300 to diversify the region.

Ive been lookin at this in some other thread already, so Ill quote my analysis here ;B

Mitja said:
Pikachu
Palpitoad
Eevee
Golurk
Magikarp
Munchlax
Kirlia
Pansear
Patrat
Litwick
Psyduck
Audino
Weavile
Mienfoo
Dratini

Yeah, these fellas we've seen in the trailer are definitely gonna be found in the region, cause its not like they're only showing of random Pokemon at such a stage in developement (just notice how random Golurk would be as a choice, but the statue of it makes it evident its gonna be available.)

That's already 45! (unless they leave out any eeveelutions)
(bold: note that half of the list is gen V)

Now there are 2 assumptions we can probably make:
-new pokemon will be a lower number (since they can rely on previous), ~100
-the regional dex should be somewhere around 200-250, which means more than 100 previous ones

That leaves something like 80 up to speculation.

Alright
Depending on which roles they decide to renew (for example if we knew that Pidgeot/Staraptor/Unfezant is in the games, there would probably be no new common bird like that)
we can consider what they could need to fill the region with.
Since my current guess is that Gen VI will feature plenty of evolutions and special Pokemon again, I'd guess plenty of the old ones will be typical common roles.

Also, the big amount of gen V in the trailer, makes me think gen VIs region will mostly rely on V where possible, but also add enough older things in the name of fanservice (pikachu, eevee etc lol).
But it also actually makes sense if you take into account that this will be the 2nd region that is not based on Japan but the west.
So for example thinking of
"The common surf encounter"
the major options are now Tentacool and Frillish. Due to the above train of thought, and how Tentacool did that for whole 4 generations in a row, the likelihood for Frillish rises by a lot.
In this vein, Id guess these:
-Frillish
-Woobat (Zubat has been in 4 gens AND bw2..)
-Pidove
-Drilbur
(Seein Litwick instead of Gastly, makes me think perhaps even these two lines):
-Timburr (Machops been in 4 gens in a row too)
-Roggenrola (same with Geodude)
(I doubt Solosis/Gothita, as being version exclusive makes them deeper tied to BW, and we know at least Ralts will be available, which also lowers the need for Abra)
(We just had Mareep in bw2, and I could see the other guy fit in here)
-Shinx
(Dratini is a pseudo-legend, and apart from bw2 with its enormous nostalgia-dex, there has never been more than 2 of these in one region.... since gen VI will surely have its own new pseudo-legend, that already makes 2, so no need for Larvitar/Beldum/Bagon/Gible/Deino)

That's all I could think of atm.
And would bring the 45 up to 63....
Of course any evolutions/new stages would require the originals to be in too, so I would say 20 spots would go to these, bringing it up to ~80, leaving maybe 40 more to go:
the rest as I said is pretty much dependant on whether they make a new feline (otherwise Purrloin or Skitty for example), many Bugs (which I doubt after gen V added record high numbers), or plants (to resort to Oddish/Hoppip/Roselia/etc if not),
and pretty much what exotic locations we will explore, like whether there will be a desert (Sandile probably more likely than Trapinch and co..), snowy places (Cubchoo), underwater stuff, caves, spooky locations, or even just lots of places to fish (I feel like they'd rely on plenty of fish from the past then, think Goldeen/Finneon/Carvanha/..)

The inclusion of Patrat makes me think that we might not get a 6th "bidoof" counterpart this time, similarly how there sometimes is no Caterpillar, or 3stage bird etc..

There's a forest area, so things like Shroomish are a possibility.

PMJ said:

I have a feeling that will be no ordinary "forest" though ;)

More like late dungeon. Would be nice anyway.

I mean, the legendaries are based on thigns that live in Yggdrasil.

Mitja said:
PMJ said:

I have a feeling that will be no ordinary "forest" though ;)

More like late dungeon. Would be nice anyway.

I mean, the legendaries are based on thigns that live in Yggdrasil.

That could also explain the tree, if it isn't a gym.

My guess is that there's going to be about 250-300 in the regional dex, with about 110-130 of them being new Pokemon.

I was thinking about what kinds of Pokemon I'd like to see in this game's regional dex, and I think I've come up with a pretty good one. First, a few statistics and assumptions:

-120 new Pokemon introduced
-13 new evolutions:

Druddigon baby form
Tauros/Miltank baby form
Fighting/Flying Fartech'd evo
Luvdisc evo
Qwilfish evo
Emolga evo
Castform evo
Swoobat evo
Chimecho evo
Sableye evo
Mawile evo
Bug/Electric Volbeat evo
Bug/Electric Illumise evo

-256 Pokemon in the regional dex.

Now here's my idea (note that I don't really say much about the new Pokemon because I have no damn clue what to include, I will include a rough speculation at the bottom):

1. Chespin
2. (Chespin evo)
3. (Chespin third form)
4. Fennekin
5. (Fennekin evo)
6. (Fennekin third form)
7. Froakie
8. (Froakie evo)
9. (Froakie third form)
10. 1st form regional rodent
11. 2nd form regional rodent
12. 1st form regional bird
13. 2nd form regional bird
14. 3rd form regional bird
15. 1st form regional bug
16. 2nd form regional bug
17. 3rd form regional bug
18. Eevee
19. Vaporeon
20. Jolteon
21. Flareon
22. Espeon
23. Umbreon
24. Leafeon
25. Glaceon
26. Sylveon
27. Pichu
28. Pikachu
29. Raichu
30. Golett
31. Golurk
32. Magikarp
33. Gyarados
34. Patrat
35. Watchog
36. Ralts
37. Kirlia
38. Gardevoir
39. Gallade
40. Munchlax
41. Snorlax
42. Pansage
43. Simisage
44. Pansear
45. Simisear
46. Panpour
47. Simipour
48. Litwick
49. Lampent
50. Chandelure
51. Psyduck
52. Golduck
53. Audino
54. Sneasel
55. Weavile
56. Mienfoo
57. Mienshao
58. Dratini
59. Dragonair
60. Dragonite
61. Makuhita
62. Hariyama
63. Gligar
64. Gliscor
65. Sandile
66. Krokorok
67. Krookodile
68. Tympole
69. Palpitoad
70. Seismitoad
71-145. New families
146. (Druddigon baby)
147. Druddigon
148. (Tauros/Miltank baby)
149. Tauros (is only catchable in Y, but can be obtained in X by breeding a male of the baby and evolving it)
150. Miltank (is only catchable in X, but can be obtained in Y by breeding a female of the baby and evolving it)
151. Farfetch'd
152. (Farfetch'd evo)
153. Luvdisc
154. (Luvdisc evo)
155. Qwilfish
156. (Qwilfish evo)
157. Emolga
158. (Emolga evo)
159. Castform
160. (Castform evo)
161. Woobat
162. Swoobat
163. (Swoobat evo)
164. Chingling
165. Chimecho
166. (Chimecho evo)
167. Sableye
168. (Sableye evo)
169. Mawile
170. (Mawile evo)
171. Volbeat
172. (Volbeat evo)
173. Illumise
174. (Illumise evo)
175. Vullaby (exclusive to X)
176. Mandibuzz (exclusive to X)
177. Rufflet (exclusive to Y)
178. Braviary (exclusive to Y)
179. Glameow (exclusive to X)
180. Purugly (exclusive to X)
181. Stunky (exclusive to Y)
182. Skunktank (exclusive to Y)
183. Gothita (exclusive to X)
184. Gothorita (exclusive to X)
185. Gothitelle (exclusive to X)
186. Solosis (exclusive to Y)
187. Duosion (exclusive to Y)
188. Reuniclus (exclusive to Y)
189. NidoranF (exclusive to X)
190. Nidorina (exclusive to X)
191. Nidoqueen (exclusive to X)
192. NidoranM (exclusive to Y)
193. Nidorino (exclusive to Y)
194. Nidoking (exclusive to Y)
195. Hoppip
196. Skiploom
197. Jumpluff
198. Foongus
199. Amoongus
200. Snover
201. Abomasnow
202. Budew
203. Roselia
204. Roserade
205. Slugma
206. Magcargo
207. Frillish
208. Jellicent
209. Lapras
210. Finneon
211. Lumineon
212. Chinchou
213. Lanturn
214. Ducklett
215. Swanna
216. Feebas
217. Milotic
218. Joltik
219. Galvantula
220. Bonsly
221. Sudowoodo
222. Roggenrola
223. Boldore
224. Gigalith
225. Cryogonal
226. Swinub
227. Piloswine
228. Mamoswine
229. Pawniard
230. Bisharp
231. Skarmory
232. Drillbur
233. Excadrill
234. Riolu
235. Lucario
236. Duskull
237. Dusclops
238. Dusknoir
239. Drifloon
240. Drifblim
241. Karrablast
242. Escavalier
243. Shelmet
244. Accelgor
245. Yanma
246. Yanmega
247. Swablu
248. Altaria
249. 1st form pseudo legend
250. 2nd form pseudo legend
251. 3rd form pseudo legend
252. 1st member of legendary trio
253. 2nd member of legendary trio
254. 3rd member of legendary trio
255. Xerneas
256. Yveltal

As for what to expect from the new Pokemon, I'm thinking:

3 new Normal types+ regional rodent
2 new Grass types
2 new Fire types
3 new Water types
1-2 new Electric types
1 new Rock type+ 2 new fossils
1-2 new Ground types
2 new Flying types+ regional bird
1 new Ice type
1-2 new Steel types
1-2 new Fighting types
2 new Psychic types
1 new Ghost type
2 new Dark types
1 new Bug type (preferably a later game one) + regional bug
1-2 new Poison type
1 new Dragon type (one that's not a pseudo legend, it's going to be annoying going forward to rely on the same 5 non pseudo legend Dragon types to give us an appropriate number of Dragon types) + pseudo legend

TBH, that estimate is probably a little low, but the type diversity is fine even if it was just this, so as long as they have at least that many of each type, it should be fine.

idk but I think its pretty safe to assume XY regional dex will be filled with at least 40% old stuff, since Unova did the other extreme (its pretty nice for them to alternate between "very new" and "cool mix with extras"). It might even be they do the completely other extreme with barely any or no completely new separate lines, with 649-??? being just starters/legends and mostly evos/pre-evos/special stuff like fossils, gifts, pseudolegend....DPt was actually pretty close to this.

KiranTheWitch said:
Why is there are large amount of old Pokemon in your idea of the REGIONAL dex first?

Assuming they keep mechanics like Double Grass and Shaking Spots, we're going to have plenty of space to fill, especially for large regions. So approximately 250-300 Pokemon regional dexes make sense with that in mind. Unfortunately, since there tends to be about 100-150 new Pokemon introduced each new generation, it may come to the point where the old Pokemon outnumber the new ones. But that's all right as long as there's more 6th gen Pokemon as any other generation (hell, they even did that in GSC, but they probably won't do it again), the 6th gen Pokemon will get enough emphasis this game. And if you look at the one I suggested, there's about 100 or so new Pokemon in the dex, which makes up about 40%. That's a fair percentage of new Pokemon IMO.

Mitja said:
It might even be they do the completely other extreme with barely any or no completely new separate lines, with 649-??? being just starters/legends and mostly evos/pre-evos/special stuff like fossils, gifts, pseudolegend....DPt was actually pretty close to this.

Game Freak has confirmed at least 700 Pokemon in the game, so we're probably going to get something. But I don't think they'll make it almost all new evolutions and stuff, I mean even DP has about 10-20 new families or so.

Honestly, I think they just picked random Pokémon for the trailer, not necessarily ones that are going to be in the regional Pokédex. Nearly all of them are among the most well-known Pokémon from Gens. I and V, which are going to be the ones that old fans and new fans, respectively, are going to recognize the most. All the rest are probably just random ones whose 3D models happened to be already completely rendered and programmed, since I doubt that they were all finished at that point (or even now).

As for what size the Regional Dex is going to end up being, I'll be pretty disappointed if it's any less than the New Unova 300, and I'm really hoping for a lot more. With the ability to create larger regions, and the plain fact that the available roster of Pokémon will be over 700 this generation, a Regional Dex the size of Hoenn's, for instance, would just feel far too limited.

They don't look random to me though... Golurk is in a statue outside a building AND also featured in a battle. Coincidence? I think not. Out of all things they could have used (like pokemon that are weak to the attacks they get hit by or something gimmicky idk)

Mitja said:
They don't look random to me though... Golurk is in a statue outside a building AND also featured in a battle. Coincidence? I think not. Out of all things they could have used (like pokemon that are weak to the attacks they get hit by or something gimmicky idk)

It could definitely be a mix of Regional Dex Pokémon and well-known ones, too. But the heavy 1st and 5th Gen. bias in that list makes me think that it's at least partly just for show. I could be wrong, though.

And don't forget that this would hardly be the first time a representation of a Pokémon appeared in a region without that Pokémon in its Regional Dex. Remember Pikachu on that display in Castelia City, Torchic on Amity Square's signs in Hearthome City, etc. It could be in the Regional dex, or it could just be that they thought the Pokémon makes a nice statue (kind of like all the statues in the first couple generations looked a little like Rhydon).

I have no issues with old pokemon in X&Y, however, there should be a lot of new pokemon than the amount of old pokemon altogether in X&Y.

DorianBlack said:
Honestly, I think they just picked random Pokémon for the trailer, not necessarily ones that are going to be in the regional Pokédex. Nearly all of them are among the most well-known Pokémon from Gens. I and V, which are going to be the ones that old fans and new fans, respectively, are going to recognize the most. All the rest are probably just random ones whose 3D models happened to be already completely rendered and programmed, since I doubt that they were all finished at that point (or even now).

I don't think they would choose random ones for no reason, I think many if not all of them will be regional dex Pokemon. Golurk is almost certainly in, for reasons Mitja stated. Pikachu is actually shown to be catchable in the wild somewhere in the game, and I highly doubt it's a post game area, so that means he's likely in as well. There's several common early game 5th gen Pokemon in there (Patrat, Audino, the monkeys), so they might show up as well. And then you have several Pokemon that would likely fit the region pretty well given what we know about it, namely Ralts, Litwick, and Dratini. So no, I don't think these are arbitrary choices at all.

DorianBlack said:
As for what size the Regional Dex is going to end up being, I'll be pretty disappointed if it's any less than the New Unova 300, and I'm really hoping for a lot more. With the ability to create larger regions, and the plain fact that the available roster of Pokémon will be over 700 this generation, a Regional Dex the size of Hoenn's, for instance, would just feel far too limited.

350-400 might be pushing it unless they introduce some new mechanic alongside Double Grass and Shaking Spots that allows them to fit even more Pokemon in the game, or if the region is extraordinarily huge (as in, significantly bigger than Hoenn or Sinnoh). 250-300 is probably fine for this game.

Mindshock said:
I have no issues with old pokemon in the new game, however, there should be a lot of new pokemon than the amount of old pokemon together in the new game.

You mean where at least 50% of the dex is new Pokemon? I think the days of that are ending. I predict that assuming they decide to keep Double Grass and Shaking Spots (or replace them with similar mechanics), we'll be seeing larger regional dexes than what we see on average, about 250-300. And at that size, it's impossible to have the new region make up 50% of the dex unless there's 120-150 new Pokemon in the regional dex, which we don't always get. So I don't think they need to do that anymore, they just need to make sure that the new Pokemon make up a sizeable chunk of the dex (at least about 30%) and that no other generation outnumbers the new one.

Bolt the Cat said:
I don't think they would choose random ones for no reason, I think many if not all of them will be regional dex Pokemon. Golurk is almost certainly in, for reasons Mitja stated. Pikachu is actually shown to be catchable in the wild somewhere in the game, and I highly doubt it's a post game area, so that means he's likely in as well. There's several common early game 5th gen Pokemon in there (Patrat, Audino, the monkeys), so they might show up as well. And then you have several Pokemon that would likely fit the region pretty well given what we know about it, namely Ralts, Litwick, and Dratini. So no, I don't think these are arbitrary choices at all.

Frankly, though, we don't know much about the region at all aside from "kinda French I guess". And I'm skeptical about Patrat because the precedent for having previous regions' basic rodents showing up in future National Dexes is basically nonexistent - the only time it's happened is with Rattata, which only showed up in Unova after the B2W2 expansion. (It was also in Johto, but the Regional Dex wasn't a thing then.) That could be indicative of a trend change, but it's too soon to tell.

Like I said, I could be entirely wrong. But my gut instinct is that a popular-Pokémon-laden trailer 9+ months out from release isn't going to be the best source for the final roster.

Bolt the Cat said:
350-400 might be pushing it unless they introduce some new mechanic alongside Double Grass and Shaking Spots that allows them to fit even more Pokemon in the game, or if the region is extraordinarily huge (as in, significantly bigger than Hoenn or Sinnoh). 250-300 is probably fine for this game.

Except that both of those were pretty underpopulated for their size in terms of number of species. Think about it: Hoenn had all those ocean routes, but what could you find while surfing on them? Nothing but Tentacool and Wingull, with an occasional evolved Pelipper just to shake things up. Diving and fishing added about a half-dozen more species, but overall, Hoenn's ocean could have been home to dozens more species without it being too much, and there could have been quite a few other land species thrown in as well around the rest of the region. Sinnoh fared better, espeically after the Platinum expansion, but it still had some pretty bland areas.

Unova is one of the smallest regions to date, but it managed to fit 301 species into its regional dex without any trouble, so why can't a larger region (which I think we're all hoping Gen. 6 will have) have even more? Why shouldn't all areas of a region have the species diversity of the Safari Zone or the Great Marsh, or even more? I'd love it if there was a less than 10% chance of finding each Pokémon on a route because there are just so many species. It'd make the games a lot more exciting, and at least a little bit more challenging.

DorianBlack said:
Frankly, though, we don't know much about the region at all aside from "kinda French I guess".

Would you not expect to find stuff like Litwick, Ralts (or more precisely, Gallade), and Dratini in France?

DorianBlack said:
Except that both of those were pretty underpopulated for their size in terms of number of species. Think about it: Hoenn had all those ocean routes, but what could you find while surfing on them? Nothing but Tentacool and Wingull, with an occasional evolved Pelipper just to shake things up. Diving and fishing added about a half-dozen more species, but overall, Hoenn's ocean could have been home to dozens more species without it being too much, and there could have been quite a few other land species thrown in as well around the rest of the region.

Hoenn was pretty much fine with land species, so they don't really need much more. They could add some more Water types for the sea routes, though. But they don't need too many, since fishing will likely be removed for post game as it has been lately (the primary reason for that being that it creates too many slots to fill when rippling water is taken into account).

DorianBlack said:
Unova is one of the smallest regions to date, but it managed to fit 301 species into its regional dex without any trouble, so why can't a larger region (which I think we're all hoping Gen. 6 will have) have even more?

Because Unova didn't handle it that well. There were a ton of Unova Dex Pokemon that were either post game or crammed into areas.

DorianBlack said:
Why shouldn't all areas of a region have the species diversity of the Safari Zone or the Great Marsh, or even more? I'd love it if there was a less than 10% chance of finding each Pokémon on a route because there are just so many species. It'd make the games a lot more exciting, and at least a little bit more challenging.

They can to some degree if Double Grass and Shaking Spots are utilized correctly, but we don't need to have 8 different Pokemon on the same roster, that's too overwhelming, and it makes finding specific Pokemon too hard.

Am I really the only one to whom it occurs that there might not be a new "Ratatta" for once?

I mean, they don't do "Caterpies" (1,3) and "Pidgeys" (1,4,5) every single gen either.

Back