• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Pond (Greninja BREAK / Octillery)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
THE POND
250px-658Greninja.png

Pokémon (20):
  • 3 Greninja Break (beatdown)
  • 2 Greninja XY9 (beatdown)
  • 2 Greninja XY1 (beatdown)
  • 4 Frogadier XY9 (search)
  • 4 Froakie XY9 (evolve)
  • 1 Manaphy Ex (retreat)
  • 2 Remoraid (evolve)
  • 2 Octillery (draw)
Trainers (30):
  • 3 Professor Sycamore (draw)
  • 2 Fisherman (retrieval)
  • 1 Delinquent (disrupt)
  • 2 Wally (evolution)
  • 3 N (draw)
  • 1 Startling Megaphone (discard)
  • 2 Battle Compressor (control)
  • 1 Energy Retrieval (retrieval)
  • 4 Trainer’s Mail (search)
  • 1 Sacred Ash (retrieval)
  • 4 Vs Seeker (retrieval)
  • 4 Dive Ball (search)
  • 2 Evosoda (search)
Energy (10):
  • 2 Splash Energy
  • 8 Water Energy

STRATEGY:

Start with Froakie. Use Trainer’s Mail and Battle Compressor to obtain instant access to needed supporter cards. When going second discard Wally, Delinquent, and Ace Trainer. Use Vs Seeker to obtain access to Wally and evolve into Frogadier. Use Water Clone to bench more Frogadier. Next turn use Dive Ball and Ultra Ball to search for Octillery and Greninja. Swarm with Greninja and use Water Shuriken and Giant Water Shuriken to weaken the defender to allow Greninja to knock him out.

SPOILER:

Translation: http://www.pokebeach.com/2015/12/rage-of-the-broken-sky

Last edited:
From what I can see this list looks amazing, although have you thought of running Energy Retrieval so you don't have to burn your supporter for the turn to use fisherman? I used it with my Water Shuriken Greninja deck and it worked fairly well.

From what I can see this list looks amazing, although have you thought of running Energy Retrieval so you don't have to burn your supporter for the turn to use fisherman? I used it with my Water Shuriken Greninja deck and it worked fairly well.
true you can use energy retrieval but this deck can do twice as many shurikens in a turn in theory so running fisherman makes sense

Do you think some Switch or Super Scoop Up is worth the place here? As Greninga Break can only use its Ability while being active.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the review. Not entire sure on Energy Retrieval since deck space is tight. I thought that Super Rods would also work and take up less deck slots since Octillery can be used to refresh ones' hand. I considered to run Manaphy instead of Switch but not entire sure on it. What are your thoughts on this issue.

I would not run Manaphy myself, but I am going to only be running the Froakie line in mine. Not even having Octillery so as to guarantee I start Froakie. So I would use Switch myself.

Zoroark with stand in and float stone could help to get Greninja Break up to the active but as you said space is pretty tight, but that would also mean you could potentially use two Greninja Break abilities per turn.

Hi kingquazbatt,

Thanks for the review. Guess i will keep Manaphy for the rainbow deck. the retreat costs are not high in this deck and you can also switch Remoraid to the bench using his attack.

Hi ZenHarbordedZelphis,

Thanks for the review. Getting Greninja Break active is not that much of a probblem. I was just a little concerned about running no more than six Basics to start with.

Hi folks,

After some more test runs the deck needed more retrieval cards and the maxed out Wally line turned out to slow the deck down. I took some inspiration from other decks and the Greninja deck OmniPoke made to resolve the problem with the trainer engine.

Possibly think about adding in at least one brigette. It'd help get remoraid, froakie, (possibly Zorua) on the bench, or could grab a late game manaphy when you need it. Would help set up starts. The cloning attack of frogadier is awesome.

Hi Danglesmcjangles,

Thanks for the review. Will have to test it out but not entirely sure on it due to the low basics count in this deck. I also considered one tech Level Ball mainly to get Octillery out faster but had troubles to fit it into the deck.

This is my version. Shaymin is better than Octillery.
Pokemons [17]:
2x Greninja BREAK
3x Greninja XY
1x Greninja BPO
4x Frogadier BPO
4x Froakie BPO
1x Manaphy EX BPO
2x Shaymin EX ROS

Trainers [32]:
10-
4x Sycamore
2x Fisheraman
2x Wally
1x Shauna
1x AZ
22-
4x VS Seeker
4x Dive Ball
2x Ultra Ball
2x Energy Retrievel
2x Super Rod
4x Trainers' Mail
3x Battle Compressor
1x Professor's Letter

Energies [11]:
9x Water Energy
2x Splash Energy

One suggest:
- 1x Froakie BPO
+ 1x Manaphy BPO

Hi Bidulek,

Thanks for the review. I like Octillery better in this deck since Greninja decks tend to play down their hands a lot and Octillery can be used multiple times in addition to a supporter card while Shaymin Ex is a one-time-use card unless you use AZ to return it to your hand.

- Froakie
- Energy Retrieval
+2x Super Scoop Up FFI

AZ can returns domaged Greninja BREAK or Shaymin. Shaymin is a basic, Octillery is a stage 1, when it can't draw in T1. First, you must put Froakie onto bench and use Wally to evolved it in T1. Shaymin's ability can draw Compressor + VS Seeker or Wally in T1 :)
You can play 2 Shaymin and 2-2 Octillery but is it a bad idea.

PS: I now, my english isn't perfect. Sorry ;)

Last edited:
Hi Bidulek,

Thanks for the review. I like Octillery better in this deck since Greninja decks tend to play down their hands a lot and Octillery can be used multiple times in addition to a supporter card while Shaymin Ex is a one-time-use card unless you use AZ to return it to your hand.
Plus it makes the deck more $$$.

Hi Bidulek,

Thanks for the review. Your english is not a problem for me. I am not a native speaker either. I do get the idea of Shaymin Ex but do not like it in this deck. A constant hand refreshment is more important than a fast set up in this deck. You only need to fish for Octillery within the first two turns. I consider Wally to be optional. If the deck goes second you will want to use Wally but if you are forced to go first evolve the regular way. In addition I do not like to run Shaymin Ex in addition to Manaphy Ex since both are low HP bench sitters and can be easy prizes for the opponent. Manaphy Ex at least provides some mobility for less deck space than Float Stones which allows the deck to be a little more aggressive once you managed to swarm Greninjas.

Hi Scrafty's Minion,

Thanks for the review. Costs are not the main issue here since I would have access to Shaymin Ex. In fact I am only one Battle compressor short to finish this deck. The main point is that in playtesting the deck needed a constant hand refreshment and Octillery provides exactly that. I personally prefer Octillery in decks that do not need to set up that fast for some reason but require a constant flow of cards because they tend to play down their hand turn after turn.

Back