The Matrix Philosophy

ShadowSong

Never giving up
Have you ever had a dream you were so sure was real? What if it was? Some people have dreams where some of their five senses are in the dream, besides hearing and seeing. You can feel heat, cold, and texture. You can taste food. You can smell odors.

If how Morpheus defines real as something you can see, hear, taste, or touch, is true, why can't some dreams be real? You can see, hear, taste and touch in dreams sometimes, so how do you know they weren't real?

Poliwag93

The Closer
nothing.

yes but how do you know what your doing now isn't a dream, but what you are doing in "dreams" is actually real???

Abhorsen

Offically retired
My dreams do feel real but they lack something which clearly separates dreams from reality. It's hard to explain what that something is, it's like i'm less alert and everything is a bit hazy (not that there is actual haze) but where I sort of feel drowsy in every dream (yet i'm not drowsy or tired), sort of like a blur. That's a pretty bad explanation but i dont know how else to explain it.

Well about them being real. I see dreams as either buried memories being shown to you subliminally through certain events or fantasies which you think about. What does separate dreams from reality? Dreams dont "really" happen. You can practically do what you want without any consequences, if you have that type of control. You dont feel things happening to you sometimes. I know i've experienced laughter, grief and joy in a dream and it felt very real but you dont feel physical pain. If you felt physical pain then alot of us would be dead now, lol. I would presume most people have had dreams about dying or feeling massive amount of pain (not intentially) but they do happen. Most people wake up right before they're "supposed" to die.

That's how I think that dreams are separate from reality.

ShadowSong

Never giving up
RE:  The Matrix Philosophy

Poliwag93 said:
nothing.

yes but how do you know what your doing now isn't a dream, but what you are doing in "dreams" is actually real???

That's my point, you don't know. Do you...? How do we know that we ourselves aren't computer programs designed by machines specifically to study the ways of human life... How do we know we are real?

ShadowSong

Never giving up

Abhorsen said:
My dreams do feel real but they lack something which clearly separates dreams from reality. It's hard to explain what that something is, it's like i'm less alert and everything is a bit hazy (not that there is actual haze) but where I sort of feel drowsy in every dream (yet i'm not drowsy or tired), sort of like a blur. That's a pretty bad explanation but i dont know how else to explain it.

Well about them being real. I see dreams as either buried memories being shown to you subliminally through certain events or fantasies which you think about. What does separate dreams from reality? Dreams dont "really" happen. You can practically do what you want without any consequences, if you have that type of control. You dont feel things happening to you sometimes. I know i've experienced laughter, grief and joy in a dream and it felt very real but you dont feel physical pain. If you felt physical pain then alot of us would be dead now, lol. I would presume most people have had dreams about dying or feeling massive amount of pain (not intentially) but they do happen. Most people wake up right before they're "supposed" to die.

That's how I think that dreams are separate from reality.

I know what you mean, my dreams are like that too. That was actually well descripted to what some people could describe it like. Everything has a sort of enchanted feeling to it, like you've just had that laughing gas stuff. Unable to see clearly, yet at the same time able to see everything, a force between your mind and your eyes.

Also, that is where you are wrong my friend, I've felt physical pain in my dreams before, if I remember correctly, it was needles in my back. I woke up feeling like someone had actually stuck needles in my back, it freaked me out a little. I have also felt heat from lava in my dreams and cold from blizzards. I have occasionally smelt choclate chip cookies, and no, no one would be baking cookies at 3am in my house.

Abhorsen

Offically retired
RE:   The Matrix Philosophy

ShadowSong said:
I know what you mean, my dreams are like that too. That was actually well descripted to what some people could describe it like. Everything has a sort of enchanted feeling to it, like you've just had that laughing gas stuff. Unable to see clearly, yet at the same time able to see everything, a force between your mind and your eyes.

Also, that is where you are wrong my friend, I've felt physical pain in my dreams before, if I remember correctly, it was needles in my back. I woke up feeling like someone had actually stuck needles in my back, it freaked me out a little. I have also felt heat from lava in my dreams and cold from blizzards. I have occasionally smelt choclate chip cookies, and no, no one would be baking cookies at 3am in my house.
Yeh, you described it much better then I did. Sort of enchanted with laughing gas is a much better description.

I've never felt any strong physical pain before in my dreams. There have been times when i've been wacked in the head and woke up with a small headache but that doesnt mean that dreams cause pain, otherwise we're all living on Elm Street :p

ShadowSong

Never giving up
To Abhorsen:

There are a few times in my dreams that I was able to reconize it was a dream. I was actually able to say to other people around me in my dream "Hey, you know this is a dream right?"

I also have another theory. What if people are able to communicate through dreams? It's possible for two or more people to share the same dream and talk to each other, right?

Well, lets say you have a dream with your best friend in it. You would think that they were in your dream, and they would think you were in theirs. You talk to each other, and you would each think you were talking to a "dream" version of that person. Make any sense?

ShadowSong

Never giving up
Also, I just want to share a kind of dark dream of mine.
     I was traveling in a car with some classmates, we were heading for a hotel in who knows where. We arrived a few hours later (or in dream time a few minutes) and got out. The place was completely deserted. It was nighttime and we were standing in front of a large, concrete building which read hotel. The only light was the stars and moon. We entered the abandoned building to find a fancy interior. We all went up the elevator in too a very large ballroom. We talked for a while when my cell phone started vibrating. I got it out of my pocket to read a horrifying message. It read We will find you, the train will crash into the building in an hour. There is no escape. I tried to get every one to believe me, but the message was deleted. Then a few "minutes" later, I heard the horn of a train. Every one stopped what they were doing and just froze. My heart was pounding and I felt fear strike my heart. Everyone ran out of the building and just as the last person got off the train track we were crossing, I saw the train speeding toward us. Then it collided with the building. The dark black metal train. The building was in shambles as the train halted. Then I heard almost a roaring sound from the train. Keep in mind it was very very dark out, so the dream was a dark gray haze. Anyways, the door creaked open and a horrifying figure emerged that was pitch black with one big red eye and spikes on it's back.(below, i drew and colored a picture of it, click the link.) It screeched at me on hind legs and charged at me. Then one of my friend boys stepped in front of me and slashed and killed it with a broadsword. He handed me a second broadsword and two more creatures emerged from the doorway. We readied our swords as the came at us with sharp claws held high. I started to swing with my sword but was knocked down. I remember laying there for a few minutes, then I woke up.

[attachment=68]

Attachments

• ShadowCrawler.jpg
    ShadowCrawler.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 21

Abhorsen

Offically retired

ShadowSong said:
To Abhorsen:

There are a few times in my dreams that I was able to reconize it was a dream. I was actually able to say to other people around me in my dream "Hey, you know this is a dream right?"
Yes, i have had that too. Then i realise that I can do what I want to who I want. Then some people tend to die, lol. It's hard for me to realise that it IS a dream and I have to convince myself of it. I usually know it's a dream when something out-of-the-oridinary happens, then I think "That's not right" or "That's not supposed to happen" and I realise at that point.

ShadowSong said:
I also have another theory. What if people are able to communicate through dreams? It's possible for two or more people to share the same dream and talk to each other, right?

Well, lets say you have a dream with your best friend in it. You would think that they were in your dream, and they would think you were in theirs. You talk to each other, and you would each think you were talking to a "dream" version of that person. Make any sense?
Yeh, it makes sense but now your talking about telepathic abilities. I cant say that it doesnt happen since I dont know. The only other way is to share your dream with that person or talk to them about it later. If they remember the conversation in the dream (if they had the same dream) then it's either a massive coincidence or some weird telepathic thing.

ShadowSong

Never giving up
To Abhorsen:

I sent you a private message, please read it and send me a private message with the same contents.

What do you think of my dream?  It is NOT made up, it happened about a month or less ago. I've often hear that a lot of dreams actually mean something. I'm not sure about this one.

bass_forte

ANet FTW.
ShadowSong, edit your posts instead of double posting please..

My dreams have often felt very real, but unfortunately that's usually all I can remember about them. They're usually forgotten within 10min of waking up.. especially with the hurry of getting to school. I dunno.. of course, it's possible, but not really plausible that our conscious state is actually a dream..

Telepathy? Doubt it.. Dreams are just our bored minds wandering around, IMO. =P

ShadowSong

Never giving up

bass_forte said:
ShadowSong, edit your posts instead of double posting please..

My dreams have often felt very real, but unfortunately that's usually all I can remember about them. They're usually forgotten within 10min of waking up.. especially with the hurry of getting to school. I dunno.. of course, it's possible, but not really plausible that our conscious state is actually a dream..

Telepathy? Doubt it.. Dreams are just our bored minds wandering around, IMO. =P

I beg to differ. It isn't always when we're bored that we have dreams. Dreams could mean the whole world, or they could mean nothing. Have some faith.

Does anyone have any idea what my dream could mean? It haunts me.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I have weird and realistic dreams all the time. However, dreams are nothing more than your brain organizing and trying to make sense of your day, and putting it into a story line. You dream every night as long as you enter REM sleep, it's just whether or not you remember it.

I have had sensory dreams before - in fact, lots of times. One that comes to mind is where I felt like I was getting shocked by electricity when this lady held on to me. I have also had dreams where I can actually sink out of my body, and I can actually make it happen. If I sleep flat on my back and have absolutely no worries, I am able to make myself sink out of my body and then have these weird 3-D dreams. The first time I figured out I could do it was when I was at my grandma's house and slept overnight, but I slept in a different position than I usually do. Then I dreamt I was flying over deserty mountains, and then I saw a huge R2-D2. The most recent one I had was when I sunk below my bed and saw 3D angels, although it did not last very long. Kind of hard to explain, but I am able to control it now. Only problem is that since I have school now, I have worries all the time, so I can't do it like in the summer. :p

But no matter what, dreams are just you making sense out of your day, and have nothing to do with another world or dimension or reality or whatever. It's all about your neurons firing and your body paralyzing you, since in REM sleep, your brain waves are exactly the same as they are when you are awake, just your body paralyzes you. People who have problems with getting paralyzed in REM sleep often sleep walk, see aliens, lights, etc.

Mind Reader

Aspiring Trainer
Don't laugh, but for a litle time ago, I had a dream.
And in that dream I dreamed about something that happened on school, to days after, it happened.

ShadowSong

Never giving up

Mind Reader said:
Don't laugh, but for a litle time ago, I had a dream.
And in that dream I dreamed about something that happened on school, to days after, it happened.

Actually, that's pretty cool.

Charizardian

Meleon!
I just remeber this dream where I'm in a car wiht my family and I'm really bored thinking "When is this dream going to be over?"

I also have dream where I know I'm dreaming. In those I usually run around in my underwear or make some hot chick appear.