• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

The "Legendary" Lock (Archeops / Pyroar)

Marshenanigans

King of the Flies
So I thought this was hypothetically one of the cooler "idea" decks and hearing a lot of people talk about it gave me the will to make a list for it! Would love criticism and possible changes as this has one of the coolest locking potentials out there!

Pokemon:

• 3 Litleo
    3 Pyroar
    2 Archen (Plasma Blast)
    2 Archeops (Noble Victories/Dark Explorers)
    2 Kangaskhan EX
    1 Mega Kangaskhan EX
    1 Keldeo EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums

• 1 Pokemon Fan Club
    1 Lysandre
    4 N
    3 Professor Juniper
    3 Skyla
    1 Caitlyn
    2 Colress
    4 Ultra Ball
    2 Random Receiver
    3 Float Stone
    3 Plume Fossil
    3 Evosoda
    2 Startling Megaphone
    1 Super Rod
    1 Dowsing Machine
    1 Professor's Letter
Energy:

• 4 Double Colorless Energy
    7 Fire Energy
Strategy:
So I'll summarize the strategy for those who don't know: basically the deck involves locking your opponent from ever attacking you by putting a pyroar on the active spot (nullifying basic pokemon attacks to it) and an archeops (usually coming after the pyroar but there is always the evosoda) to nullify anyone from evolving any pokemon at all. Basically your opponent cant evolve and they can't use their basics to attack! Therefore initiating the lock.

Of course this deck has got some major weaknesses in the form of Genesect EX's ability red signal, Pokemon Catcher, and Lysandre, all of which would get rid of pyroar from the active position and promote something else from your bench (like the archeops). You cannot really stop this from happening unless they don't run any of the above cards but if they do not kill the archeops or break the lock in another way then there is always the 2 switches you have in the deck to keep the strategy alive (would like to add more reliability to this in the form of more switches, escape ropes, or float stones)

Card Choices:
So I do know there are some interesting card choices in here...Which is why I want to explain them to hopefully convince you all that they are good choices or for someone to look at this and convince me that there are better ones :)

2-1 Mega Kangaskhan EX line
This card just seems to shine in the deck as a sort of "backup" in case everything falls over and dies, the Plan B of this deck. But it is not just a plan B but an amazing starter pokemon, being able to let you draw three cards for 1 energy is very strong and letting big set up decks like this one...set up! Kangaskhan overall is great considering the big number of DCE's in the deck and its strong setup potential as a support pokemon in the deck as well. Not only that, but as a Mega and even as a regular EX, it is able to deal quite the damage.

1 Caitlyn
1 Copy of Caitlyn seemed to be a very good and synergetic card in this deck! Mainly (actually entirely) with archen and plume fossil! This card allows you to quickly and efficiently get rid of some garbage cards from your hand (that you dont want to juniper away for example) and draw the amount of cards you put on the bottom of your deck. The key here is the cards that you throw away go at the bottom of your deck! So not only can you know Ultra Ball-Archen ability-Plume Fossil, but now you can Caitlyn-Plume Fossil as well! You really need the archeops ASAP anyways.

2 Startling Megaphones
Garbodor. It literally eats the deck alive if it can set up faster than you can. if you set up before it, then no big deal as archeops would not allow the trubbish evolution, but if it did then you've always got 2 megaphones as an answer to it.

3 Evosoda
Evosoda is the only way to bypass my own lock and bench more pyroars or even get my Mega Kangaskhan out after I play down my archeops. That's pretty much it :)

Thanks for taking the time to look at my deck list and feel free to leave any comments on possible changes!

Edited to coincide with the rules! :D ~Kecleon

RE: The "Legendary" Archeops/Pyroar Lock

In anticipation of Pyroar, I've had numerous conversations regarding counters. There are quite a few strategies that will effectively allow players to get their evolved Poké in place in order to 1HKO your Pyroar. There is a thread in the Card Strategy Forum (I believe) regarding some of the Pyroar counters. So, to counter those counters, you may want to incorporate a few Lysandre (and Pal Pad) in order to Catcher certain opponents' threats and KO them.

I think you should run more Skyla to get those fossils out to make it way more easier to set the deck up. And now I'm going to try this deck online.

TuxedoBlack said:
In anticipation of Pyroar, I've had numerous conversations regarding counters. There are quite a few strategies that will effectively allow players to get their evolved Poké in place in order to 1HKO your Pyroar. There is a thread in the Card Strategy Forum (I believe) regarding some of the Pyroar counters. So, to counter those counters, you may want to incorporate a few Lysandre (and Pal Pad) in order to Catcher certain opponents' threats and KO them.

that sounds good, do you have any suggestions on cuts?

Reshiram said:
I think you should run more Skyla to get those fossils out to make it way more easier to set the deck up. And now I'm going to try this deck online.

I like the idea of running more skyla but space is kind of cramped in the deck :(
maybe take out one random receiver due to the higher number of supporters?

Marshenanigans said:
TuxedoBlack said:

I'd suggest you consider playtesting:

• -1 Pyroar - thinking that the remaining 2 should be sufficient to build your "wall"
    -2 Fire

+1 Pal Pad
    +1 Lysandre
    +1 Professor's Letter
Also, you run 4 U Balls; have you tried playtesting with a 4th Professor Juniper to replace the Pokémon Fan Club?

It's a little slow, you wanna be setting up the lock T2 almost 80-90% of the time, so I don't see much room for such a hefty Kanga line... it could work, though.
And then I realised 2-2 Archeops .-. you might want to up that a little.

TuxedoBlack said:
Marshenanigans said:
I'd suggest you consider playtesting:

• -1 Pyroar - thinking that the remaining 2 should be sufficient to build your "wall"
    -2 Fire

+1 Pal Pad
    +1 Lysandre
    +1 Professor's Letter
Also, you run 4 U Balls; have you tried playtesting with a 4th Professor Juniper to replace the Pokémon Fan Club?

Sweet I do like the suggestion on taking out a pyroar, but having one prized and then getting one knocked out for whatever reason would still leave me with one in the game to build my wall around. I do agree with taking out the fire energies though and i even think taking out 3 fire energies would be a better choice because of the added professor's letter! Also with the high amounts of supporters in the deck, I don't think pal pad would be so awesome as in other decks, but an extra skyla would be really good!

As to the 4th Juniper, as much as I want to get my cards out really fast, every single card in the deck is vital to the strategy, and when playing with the extra Juniper (because my first choice was having 4 junipers and no Fan Club) really got rid of too many cards and the idea of having more ways to set up pyroars and get early cards with kang was just too good.

Thanks for the advice and i'm adding to the deck right now!

-1 Mega Kangaskhan Ex (you don't really need another attacker since you want to have pyroar in the active as much as possible)
-1 Random receiver
-3 Plume fossil (isn't level ball better?)
-1 Pokemon fan club

+1 Archen
+1 Archeops
+3 level ball
+1 evosoda

T4ketheShot said:
-1 Mega Kangaskhan Ex (you don't really need another attacker since you want to have pyroar in the active as much as possible)
-1 Random receiver
-3 Plume fossil (isn't level ball better?)
-1 Pokemon fan club

+1 Archen
+1 Archeops
+3 level ball
+1 evosoda

I think you forget that Archen is a restored Pokémon, so Plume is kinda needed :/

Back