Writing The Great War: Hoenn's Hazards (Chapter 12)

JoshB

The math didn't work out

This is my first attempt at a Pokemon Fan Fiction, and any feedback is appreciated, enjoy!

Prologue

Many years after Ash and friends’ adventures, a group of criminals named Team Shadow had risen. Team Shadow was led by Dr. Akins, a famous scientist that went missing from his lab one day. Most believed he had committed suicide due to his demanding job, but Team Shadow had kidnapped him so he could help them. It took many years, but through genetic reconstruction Dr. Akins had created Shadow Pokemon. Shadow Pokemon are ruthless creatures born from the darkness within themselves. With the help of Dr. Akins, Team Shadow started cloning Shadow Pokemon in the thousands.
Five years later, Team Shadow had a massive army of Shadow Pokemon and waged a war with the Hoenn Government. Hoenn had no choice but to fight, and before long trainers and Pokemon alike were battling in "The Great War". The war spread, leaving Kanto, Jhoto, and Sinnoh with no choice but to join in. The war had now engulfed the entire world in a battle for power. "The Great War" raged on for seven years, and wiped out most of Earth's population, but one day the war finally ended. Team Shadow had been defeated, and all of its followers were forced to flee into hiding. There were few survivors, and the once thriving-land had been burned to the ground. The government had won, but at such a terrible price.
Two-hundred years have passed, and the regions have rebuilt themselves. The world has been nearly restored to its former state. Now "The Great War" is only a story told to children. Society has tried to move on and forget about “The Great War”, however Team Shadow is on the rise again. They have already started regrouping and cloning Pokemon, if Team Shadow isn't stopped who knows how much the world will have to suffer this time.

Just a heads up to the readers, these chapters are PG-13 due to some light vulgar language and blood! Please be aware of that. :D
j5z239.jpg

This banner was created by: The Shining Mew

Last edited:
Here is Chapter 1, hope you like it! The first 2 chapters will be kinda short.

Chapter 1: Creature of Darkness

I squint my eyes open, but wince as sunlight filters through the window right onto my face. I let my eyes adjust to the light, then I looked at the clock on my nightstand. It read 11: 42, wouldn’t hurt to sleep for another hour. “Ah, forget it!” I peer down at my Riolu sleeping on the floor next to my bed, wondering whether we will ever get the chance to battle side by side in a Pokemon battle, thanks to some stupid sightings.
Five years ago, a Shadow Pokemon was sighted in the Petallburg Woods, and after that people freaked out. The entire region practically went on lockdown. Shadow Pokemon were ruthless creatures that were used in "The Great War" two-hundred years ago. "The Great War" was a war between Team Shadow and the Hoenn Government. The Government almost immediately banned all children from beginning a journey after the sighting, and I was so disappointed because I had just earned my Trainer's License. So me and my only Pokemon Riolu, were forced to stay home and attempt to train. So for the past five years of my life, I have done nothing.
I sigh and flop out of my bed, as I get up I hear my Mom calling.

"Ryan, come down you got to see this." She sounds quite urgent so I quickly head to my closet, careful to step over Riolu. I throw on my normal outfit, a red T-shirt and a black pair of cargo pants. As I am scrounging over to the bathroom across my room, I watch as Riolu bolts out the door. Wonder what got in to him. I grab my toothbrush and start brushing my teeth, then I comb my short black hair and run downstairs, nearly tripping on the top step.
As I reach the bottom of the stairs, I scan the living room looking for my mom, I spot her watching TV and eating what looks like bacon with eggs. Then I see my Riolu next to her begging for food, why am I not surprised. I sit down next to her to see HNS playing. I am surprised because the Hoenn News Station does not normally air here in Dewford Town. Regardless, nothing on the Hoenn News Station interests me, but I sit and watch anyways.

"Morning mom," I ask, hoping to see what she was calling me for. She doesn't look at me, but just hands me a piece of bacon, and points at the TV.

"Morning," she replies, "look at the news." She looks really excited so I pretend to care.

As I sit eating my bacon, I suddenly hear the word "trainer" come from the TV, so I tune in. I watch as the anchorman barks "All children who have a Trainer's License may start a journey, due to the Hoenn Government removing the ban." I glue my eyes to screen, seeing if any more of my dreams were about to come true. Sadly, the segment ended and moved on to, Hoenn’s Funniest Videos. Riolu and I started trading glances of deep excitement. As ready as I was to burst through the door and start my journey, I compose myself and ask my mom "can I go take a walk by the Granite cave?"

"Sure honey, just be careful," she looked happy, and sad by what she had just heard on TV.

I darted out the door, and down the winding trail towards the Granite Cave. I feel adrenaline pumping through my body, and just keep on running with Riolu following hot in my footsteps. The Granite Cave is a couple miles away, but I just keep on sprinting without even being phased, that is until I stopped. The moment I reached the entrance to the cave, I collapsed and started wheezing. I crawled over to a large tree and sat down. I started thinking about what had just happened and realized that this was where my journey began. As I was looking at Riolu, I realized that he had probably understood everything that had just occurred. I was about to get up, when I heard someone scream from inside the cave!

"HELP!"

I was about to go in, when a black shadowy figure flew out of the tunnel at blinding speeds. It skimmed my arm, throwing me off balance. As I got up, my vision was blurred, and I couldn’t stand straight. When I finally regained vision, I froze in fear because it had made a circle and was coming back in my direction. Luckily, it flew over the cave rather than come back down. I followed it as it flew into the distance at unbelievable speed. Their seemed to be something odd about that creature, almost as if it had an aura of darkness. I watched where it had flown off for what seemed like hours, then I ran into the entrance of the cave!

Last edited:
From now on the chapters will start getting much longer, so I can explain what happens to Ryan thoroughly, throughout his journey!

Chapter 2: Birch's Observation

I am bolting into the cave, sprinting down the winding trails. I know this cave very well, because my mother is an explorer, she has took me down here many times. She is also the person that gave me my Riolu as a gift, at age ten. Sweat started dripping down my face as I went deeper into the cave. I kept on running for what seemed like an eternity. The person in here must have ventured very deep into the cave, because the walls were starting to close in on me. I was feeling really claustrophobic, and was about to turn around, but just then, I reached a clearing and yelled.

"Hello, anyone there?" I spot what looks like, a scientist in a lab coat lying on the ground. My first thought is to see if he is ok, but I warily look around. Then I start running towards to him, as I get close I ask.

"Sir, ar-are you all right?" As I reach him I notice he is breathing, and seems fine, but he may be unconscious. Once again I ask, "Sir, can you hear me?" He does not move so I start panicking. I try to shake him hoping he will wake up, then suddenly he groans.

"Aahhhh!" He certainly looks conscious, just drowsy. "Wh-Who are you?" He asked.

"My name is Ryan. What happened down here?" He tried to get up, but failed in doing so. So I put him back down on the ground.

"I was u-uh doing fieldwork. Then I uh tripped and fell." I didn't exactly believe him, but this was no time to argue, so I kept quiet. We sat there for a couple minutes while he tried to sit up, so I asked him.

"Do you work here in Dewford, because I don't know of any labs around here?" He looked at me and replied.

"No, in fact I work down in Littleroot, with professor Birch, at his lab. My thoughts are racing, why did this man from Littleroot town come down here to do fieldwork. Also why was he lying there, just from tripping!

"Can you stand?" I ask. By the way he looked I didn't think he could.

"Yea." He half wobbled to his feet, and his phone dropped out of his pocket. I picked it up and handed it to him. He looked really shaky, so I grabbed his shoulder and we started the trek back through the cave. It took us an hour to get out of the cave, because we had to stop every ten minutes so he could rest. By now we were both tired and exhausted, so I started sitting down with him when we stopped. As we were nearing the entrance, I let go hoping he could stand. He squirmed a little, but managed to stand straight, so we continued walking.

"How long had you been lying there?" I asked, curious of why this man was so bruised up from tripping.

"Ah, maybe about two hours." He replied. I was stunned, this man has been down here for two hours from tripping! I figured this guy had actually been knocked unconscious, but I don't know how. We reach the clearing and continued walking to be blinded by the gleaming sun. I was the first to recover, as I scanned the area I saw my mom with, Professor Birch! They were talking by a tree. As I started walking in their direction, I called.

"Mom! What are you doing here?" She looked at me and seemed relieved.

"Where have you been, sweetie?" I looked at her, wondering how long we had actually been down there.

"Helping this man, who apparently tripped and couldn't get up." When I looked around for him, I saw him whispering to Professor Birch. Then suddenly they both turned to me, and Professor Birch spoke in a loud and clear voice.

"Ryan, you have done this man a great deed, and for that I shall give you a gift. At my lab, I have an extra Pokédex. If you and your parents don't mind, I would like it if you could travel with me back to my lab so I can give it to you. Maybe you could also meet the two other children who I will meet that day!"

"Wow, thank you Professor Birch! It would be an honor." I reply. I glance over at my mom, and she gives me a nod. "I would be more that delighted to accompany you back to your lab." He looked at me with a broad smile across his face. Then he whispers to me.

"Then I guess this is where your journey begins." I guess this really is where my journey begins, a lifelong journey that will contain hardships, fun, and maybe even mystery!

Last edited:
Hope your enjoying the story, here is Chapter 3! I will hopefully be able to post a chapter a day. Maybe even two if I have the time! ;)

Chapter 3: Pride and Power

I walk into Professor Birch's lab, amazed by all the gadgets and gizmos everywhere. "Wow this is quite the place you got!" As we walk to the back of the lab, I get distracted by whizzing sounds coming from all around me.

"Come in here, and take a seat." We enter a small room, and he walks behind his desk and opens a drawer, pulling out a Pokédex. "See this is a Pokédex, trainers can use this to record Pokemon they see and catch."

"Is that the one your giving me?" I ask, looking at it, it seems brand new.

"Yes, normally I would hand it out to a new trainer, but my daughter May already has one, and she took one of the three starter Pokemon being a new trainer."

"Lucky, me!" I respond, happy to be finally getting such an opportunity. He chuckles abruptly, then says.

"You stay right here, I will be right back. I need to register you for the Hoenn League." I nod approvingly. I wonder who those other two trainers are, that wanted a Pokédex and Pokemon. Professor Birch told me about them on the way back from Dewford Town. He mentioned how one was a 16 year old girl, and the other was a 15 year old boy. I heard the doorbell ring and went to answer. I open the door to see a tall, but pretty girl with long dark brown hair standing by the door.

"Who are you? Professor Birch's assistant? I am looking for Professor Birch." As annoyed as I was that she just called me his assistant, I explain to her.

"I am not his assistant, but a friend of his, and he is upstairs getting my Pokédex." She looked at me curiously.

"I don't remember you as one of the trainers on the list getting a starter Pokemon!" She looked a little annoyed by the fact that I am getting a Pokédex without being on some stupid list.

"I helped his assistant, in the Granite Cave, so he offered to give me a Pokédex out of pure gratitude." I smirked after that remark. I was about to slam the door on her, but heard footsteps coming down the stairs and figured not to. I watched as Professor Birch was stumbling to keep his balance while walking down the stairs with a tray of Poké balls. Just as he reached the bottom of the stairs he barked.

"Hi Lavender, nice to see you have met my friend Ryan." He looks delighted to see her so I concluded that, yes she is a new trainer.

"Yes, I have met him. He is quite intriguing." She giggles, and even though Professor Birch was doubled over laughing, he noticed some tension going on.

"Alright, alright let's just move on. Oh yeah, Ryan you have now been registered and here a five Poké balls to start out with. You can only carry six Pokemon and that Riolu counts as one." Lavender looked astonished.

"You already have a Riolu, that is so cool." She looked a little jealous, but says "Well I guess, I don't need a Pokemon to start out with, I have the skill to start from scratch." I got really hot after that, but replied.

"Well, we can really see who is better in a Pokemon battle after you get your starter Pokemon." She glances at the floor, probably doubting whether she could actually beat me. "I choose you, Riolu!" A small blue and black figure resembling a child pops out. Regardless, she doesn't back down.

"You must be kidding. Well, I accept your challenge." She started walking toward a machine at the back of the lab. I follow her, curious about what she was doing. I start to examine the machine, it has three slots, two are filled with Poké balls and the last one is missing. She chooses the one on the very right, I guess she already knows which one she wants to choose. I watch as she grabs the Poké ball and throws it towards the ground.

"I choose you, Mudkip!" I watch as a small blue Pokemon with a fin on it's head, as it materializes out of the Poké ball. "He is so cute!" She squeals, Mudkip looks at her and smiles. She runs over and gives him a huge hug. I watch in disgust and say.

"Talk about losing your cool." She looks at me angrily then turns back to her Mudkip, and cuddles him. I walk over to Professor Birch and ask. "May I have my Poké balls and Pokédex." He looks at me and replies.

"Yes of course." He hands me the tray and I grab my stuff. I point the Pokedex at Riolu. Riolu, the Emanation Pokemon. When sad or scared, Riolu's aura becomes stronger as a way of signaling its allies. Riolu knows Quick Attack, and Feint. "Woah!" I whisper. Professor Birch was about to head back into the small room, when the doorbell rang again. He turned around and walked towards the door.

"Ah, that must be Will!" He opened the door, and a kid about my height with short brown hair walked in. "Nice to see you Will, hope you know what you Pokemon want. Well actually their is only one Pokemon left."

"Save it old man, I figured that my only option was Treecko. Lavender was rambling all day yesterday, about how she just had to have Mudkip. Plus May, couldn't live without getting a Torchic, all she wears is red." Man, whats wrong with this kid. I can't help but comment.

"Dude you can shut up, we get the point!" He smirks at me, and starts walking away. "What a jerk!" I mumble. Lavender starts speaking.

"He is just like that, been like that ever since I met him." I can tell she is not fond of him either, but I push that thought out of my head and ask.

"Are you ready for our battle?" I ask, I am so psyched, this will be my first real Pokemon battle. She shyly looks at her Mudkip and returns it to it's Poké ball, but still responds.

"Let's do it outside." We walk outside and head for the battle field on the side of the building. I bark.

"Go, Riolu!" She sent out her Mudkip, Mudkip looked more prepared than her, so I said. "You go first!" She nods and speaks.

"Go, Mudkip" I point the Pokédex at Mudkip. Mudkip, the Mud Fish Pokemon. Mudkip uses the sensitive fin on its head to take radar readings of its surroundings. Mudkip knows the moves Tackle, and Water Gun. Lavender starts commanding her Pokemon. "Mudkip, use Water Gun." I say the first thing that comes to mind.

"Riolu, Dodge!" Riolu jumped out of the way nearly getting caught in Mudkip's jet stream. "Riolu, use Quick Attack." Riolu bolted at Mudkip, leaving him with no time to counter, Mudkip got drilled and was thrown off balance. "Yes, nice job Riolu!" I gleam with pride at my Riolu.

"Mudkip, fire Water Gun at Riolu." Suddenly, a burst of water came and hit Riolu. Riolu started to sway and fell to the ground. I watch in horror and yell.

"Riolu can you stand?" He slowly gets up and regains his composure. I remember the Pokédex saying he knew Feint, might as well try it. "Riolu use feint!"

"Mudkip, dodge!" I watch as Riolu sprints up to Mudkip, attempting to slap him, but barely missing. Lavender calls to Mudkip. "Mudkip, use tackle at full speed." Even though Mudkip isn't fast, it bursts at Riolu with impressive speed knocking him to the ground.

"Come on, Riolu stand!" I don't know if Riolu can do it so I keep on pushing him. "Riolu, try to stand!" As if he heard what I had said, he stumbled to his feet. "Try Quick Attack." Even when he is exhausted, he races over towards Mudkip and tackles him with full force. Mudkip is thrown to the ground and looks unconscious. Lavender freaks out.

"Mudkip, are you okay. Please try to stand!" Mudkip just lays there so I call it match. Lavender looks on the verge of tears, so I tell her to take Mudkip inside the lab. She carries him inside making sure not to rock his body. I am about carry Riolu inside to let him rest, but I watch as Will walks out the door cradling what looks like his Treecko's Poké ball in his hand. He glances at me and sneers. The he comments.

"Beginners luck!" I can't stand this brat, so I kinda lose it and start yelling.

"Well at least I have the decency to respect Professor Birch for all he is doing for us. Unlike some idiot who walks in all casually and tells him to shut up. What the is wrong with you, I hope you fail in the Hoenn League, terribly!" As happy as I am to get that out, I regret saying every word of it. I looked like a total idiot, yelling and shouting. Will just walked away shrugging at my comments. I carry Riolu inside.

Last edited:
Anything in Italics is a dream, or the Pokedex speaking, just keep that in mind while reading these chapters. I am gonna hopefully, post Chapter 5 and 6 tonight, as always any feedback is appreciated!

Chapter 4: Pokemon Problems

I was walking out of Professor Birch's lab with Riolu by my side, when Lavender came running behind me. "Oh great, what do I owe this pleasure to?" She giggled a little but tried to muffle it.

"I wanted to ask you where you are going now." I can't help but remark.

"That is a stupid question, there is only one road and it leads to Oldale town." I need to get to Oldale Town tonight so, I start running. *Clank-clatter* I sprint through Littleroot Town enjoying the scenery, and into Route 101. I finally, slow down and stop to take a breath. Then suddenly I hear a rustle from the tree above.

I look up and spot a Spearow on the highest branch, I reach for my Pokédex and point it at the Spear- but my hands are empty. I check my Back pocket looking for it. "Oh, crap!” I must have dropped it. "What am I gonna do without a Pokedex!" This is bad! "You know what Riolu, go! Screw it, I don't need that thing. That Pokémon looks just like Pidgey, and he is the gentlest Pokemon." I tell Riolu to sneak up the tree and attack it from behind. I hold my Poké ball ready while Riolu slowly climbs up the tree. Riolu warily sneaks from branch to branch, careful not to alert Spearow. Then Riolu sneaks up behind him. Suddenly someone yells from behind.

"Hey Ryan, I got your Pokédex!" I turn around and see Lavender, the Spearow takes notice and turns around. It looks furious, then suddenly Riolu attacks it. It started shrilling and squawking in pain, and we hear the sound of wings.

"Oh, man, Riolu RUN!" We started bolting down Route 101 as fast as we could, but the moment we looked back there was a group of Spearow and Fearow chasing us. Lavender starts following us, and I keep on turning around hoping they are gone. We high-tailed it out of there with Lavender hot in our footsteps.

The birds wouldn't stop chasing us and soon we are getting pecked and scratched from behind. We ran for what seemed like an eternity, and I don't know how far we ran, but I think we got out of Route 101. The birds finally stop chasing us and we collapsed on the spot. I felt sore all over and it was pretty dark. We sat down by a tree. "This is so dumb, why did you have to sneak up on me?" I asked.

"Sorry, I am not the genius who dropped his Pokédex, and why would you attack Spearow the Pokédex says they travel in groups around here." I looked at her and said.

"Maybe because I didn't have my Pokédex, plus Spearow looks like a Pidgey, so I thought they could have similar attitude!" She hands me my Pokédex.

"Look him up on your Pokédex!" I type the name Spearow, and hit enter. Unlike Pidgey, Spearow has a terrible attitude. It is very wild and will sometimes attack other Pokemon and humans.

"Oh, did not see that in Trainer's School." I shrug it away and laugh. "All part of becoming a Pokemon master, got to learn from your mistakes!" She smiles and I ask. "Wanna go get dinner in the Pokemon Center, I am starving, and it is getting pretty late."

"Sure, that sounds good." We trudge over to the Pokemon Center and walk inside. Blissey greets as we enter. Lavender asks. "Hey Blissey can we get dinner.

"Blisseey! Bllissey!" She seems really excited, so we follow her into a large room. She points us towards a booth. We go ahead and sit down, while she runs off to make food.

"How did you find me?" I ask, she laughs and tells me.

"I saw Riolu climbing up that tree from like a mile away, so I went ahead in that direction and found you trying to catch that Spearow!" We waited for a couple more minutes and then Blissey came out with a feast. It had been like 10 minutes and she had managed to cook delicacies, from like 4 different regions. We both ate like Royalty, and thanked Blissey. "I am gonna stay another day here in Oldale town to do some training for the Petalburg City gym. What about you?"

Nah, I am gonna train on Route 102. Anyways I am gonna go get a room. Night!" I walk away leaving Lavender to her thoughts. I ask Blissey. "Can you get me a room to stay for the night?"

"Blisssey!" She takes me to a room down the hall, and I thank her. I examine the room, and chuck my stuff on one of the three beds. I let Riolu sleep on the second bed, and I take the last one for myself. I try to sleep but can't, so much happened today! My first day as a Pokemon Trainer. It takes a while, but eventually I drift off to sleep.

"Squawk! Squawk!" I see a group of Spearow are flying high over me. They look down and start diving right at me, I sprint for cover. I find a tree and hide behind it, hoping they won't find me. I scream as they come around, and try to peck me. I keep on running for dear life, but they are too fast. I can see Murder in their eyes, but then they all dive at me and I can't escape!

I wake up. I am sweating and my heart is beating a mile a minute. I gain consciousness and realize it was only a dream. "Screw you Spearow!" I shout. I close my eyes, and drift back to sleep.

I wake up to see Riolu upside down staring at me, from the top bunk. "What's up!" I ask. Even though I know I won't be able to understand when he respnds.

"Riooluu!" He looks worried, so I assume he had seen me last night writhing around in my bed. I grab my watch and check the time. It read 10:12, "I should probably get going." So I pack up my stuff and walk out the room with Riolu. I head to the Pokemon Center counter and see Nurse Joy. "Hi Nurse Joy, have you seen a girl with long brown hair?" She responded quickly.

"Yea, she walked out half an hour ago." I nodded.

"Thanks!" I walk out of the Pokemon Center feeling fresh and rejuvenated. I check my Pokédex for where to go to next, and I start my trek to Route 102.

Last edited:
No problem, thanks for making it! I also can't wait to see what is next for Ryan!

Here is Chapter 5, it is a little emotional, and long! Stay tuned, I will post Chapter 6 later tonight.

Chapter 5: Field Day

Oldale town really is a beautiful town, trees everywhere, and a nice mood. My guess is people live a slow, but enjoyable life around here. I casually walked up the dirt road, that leads to Route 102. I passed an intersection in the road, and walked past the Route 102 sign, into the wilderness.

I looked around for fields or grass and spot some about a hop, skip, and a jump away. "This shall do, maybe I can catch a few Pokemon and show Will, who has beginners luck!" I tip-toe over there, careful to watch out for twigs that could snap. I find a large shrub and hide in it, careful not to poke myself.

I sat and watched, hoping to see something. "Man, this is taking a long time." So I grabbed my bag and unzipped it. I started rummaging through it looking for food. "Ah, Chips!" I grabbed the red bag and started eating. I peered through the grass, wondering whether anything will ever actually show up. Suddenly, I see a Zigzagoon trotting in the grass, I put the bag down and got on my knees. I pointed my Pokedex at it. Zigzagoon, the Tiny Raccoon Pokémon. Zigzagoon is extremely curious and so ends up walking in a zigzag path between things that interest it. I got ready to run out with Riolu's Poké ball in hand.

As I stood up, I accidentally crinkled the bag by stepping on it, and it scared the Zigzagoon. "Crap!" I sprinted out with Riolu's Poké ball in hand. "Go, Riolu!" He understood the situation, and we both dove into the bushes that the Pokemon had ran through.

He got through but I got stuck! "Aw, man!" I tried to move, but twigs kept jabbing into my body. I finally pulled myself out with some scratches here and there, and sat down. Then it came across me. "Maybe I am what I eat, bad!" I sighed, and decided. "Hey Riolu, we should probably move on and look for more Pokemon. I still need one, and all the Pokemon here are probably gone anyways."

So we started, trudging over the hill. It took a while but we followed the dirt road that lead straight ahead. We trekked through the hills for like 30 minutes, before finally reaching a large field, it was filled with purple roses and a large Oak tree in the middle. "Imagine how many Pokemon are around there!"

We started running, hoping to get to the Oak tree quickly. The field really was a lot bigger than it looked from atop a hill, but we managed to get to the tree shortly. The area around the tree seemed dead, rather than bursting with Pokemon. "What the hell is this!" I looked around hoping a Pokemon would reveal itself. Nothing showed, so I slouched down to the ground.

Riolu and I sat there bored out of our minds waiting. "Man, this sucks. We already missed one chance, and now who knows if anything will even show up." I called Professor Birch through my watch. It took a while, but he finally picked up. "Hi Professor Birch, how has things been back at the lab?" He chuckled and responded.

"Quite well actually, I have been doing some research. Did you know Lavender, and Will just called me to say they have already caught their second Pokemon!" I cringed at that, and responded.

"Well I have seen 4 new Pokemon, and am working on catching my second Pokemon." I gleam knowing that, he will be impressed! He responded cheerfully.

"Nice job!" I grin after hearing that. "Lavender just told me she has seen 6 Pokemon, and Will has seen 7! They are doing very well too." I shamefully respond.

"Oh, good for them, maybe I will call again soon." I sighed and remarked.. "Gosh, I bet they are probably already in Petalburg or something. Maybe Will is already past there! No! My first priority is to catch a Pokemon.

I have to do whatever it takes to get one!" I really don't wanna meet Lavender or Will, with only one Pokemon. So I stand up, and start looking. "Come out, come out wherever you are." I look like a total idiot, but keeping on searching. "Hey, where is Riolu?" I turn around and see him fast asleep next to the tree. I pick up a pebble and peg him.

"Riolluu" As drowsy as he is, he stands and wobbles a bit. He clumsily trots over to me, nearly tripping on a twig.

"Come on, help me look!' He shrugs and starts peering through the grass. I keep on calling hoping something will pop out. "Come out, come out!" I don't know it at the time but a black dog-like figure is stalking me. Carefully, it crouches and prepares to attack.

"Poocchyena" I whirl around to see a small black dog spring at me. I close my eyes and duck, but the pain never comes. I look back, and see it writhing on the ground with Riolu on top.

"Nice job, Riolu!" I quickly point my Pokédex at the Poochyena. Poochyena, the Bite Pokemon. Poochyena is the pre-evolved form of Mightyena. It's biting strength is superior to other Pokemon, and has the endurance to chase opponents down until completely exhausted. Poochyena knows Tackle, and Sand Attack.

"It likes to bite, probably good to note that. Hey Riolu, watch for the jaws!" Riolu bounced off and retreated back. "Riolu use, Quick Attack!" He darted at the Poochyena, but the Poochyena countered with Tackle. They both stumbled to the ground after colliding.

"Riolu, you can do it! Use feint!" Riolu recovered before Poochyena, and used feint. Poochyena was slammed to the ground. I grabbed a Poké ball and enlarged it. "Go, Poké ball!" I chuck it, and the Poochyena materialized into the ball. I watch as it shakes once, twice, but then the ball bursts open cracking the ball in half. "Darn it, I was so close!” The Poochyena hit the ground running and used Bite on Riolu. Riolu howled in Pain.

"Riioluu!" I watch as blood seeped from the wound. Riolu got thrown to the ground and the gash opened up.

"Riolu! Please stand!" He doesn't get up, so I start panicking, and run to his side. The Poochyena bolts at Riolu, I grab Riolu, and jump out of the way of Poochyena’s Tackle. Riolu drops out of my hands and stumbles to his feet. "Riolu, finish him off with Quick attack."

Using the last big off strength he has, Riolu knocks the Poochyena to the ground. "Poooccheyena!" I enlarged another Poké ball and threw it, with all my might at the Poochyena.

"Go, Poké ball!" The ball slices out of my hand, and bounces of the Poochyena, materializing him inside. The Poké ball shakes once, twice, three times. Somehow, the Poochyena breaks out and runs away! I collapse, and tears start dripping out of my eyes. “No! How did he get out of there even after Riolu attacked him? It isn’t fair, all that Riolu did, for nothing!” I wipe my face and look around for Riolu, he is lying on the ground behind me. “Oh my god. Riolu!” I rush to his side.

"Riolu, are you ok? Please tell me your ok!" He stirs a little, but then drifts back to sleep. I look at his bleeding wound, blood is gushing out! "I need to get, a potion for that!" I sprint back to my bag, and rummage through it looking for a potion.

"Just hold on Riolu!" I shout. I find one in the front pocket and grab it. I run back to Riolu and spray it into his wound. "This might hurt a little!" I use the entire bottle on his wound. It starts sizzling, and bubbling. "Is that normal?" I stare at him, worried sick that he might die!

Then the bubbles clear up and the wound is not bleeding anymore. "My goodness, thank god you are ok now!" Riolu stirred again. "Just lay down Riolu, it’s ok. Riolu Return, rest for now." I returned Riolu to his Poke ball. I looked up at the sky and see that the sun has set. It is getting pretty dark so I look around for a place to sleep. "A cave would be nice, but it seems I have no choice but to climb the tree." I sigh and grab my bag, then haul myself up from branch to branch.

I finally find a sturdy branch about 20 feet high. "This shall do." So I hang my bag on a twig above me, and lay my sleeping bag out. "Hopefully, I won't fall and die." I crawl into it and drift off to sleep, wondering what tomorrow will be like.

Last edited:
To all readers,
I have been thinking over the plot a little, and decided there might be a part two! That is assuming, I have enough time to write it over the summer, and get good feedback from the chapters. With that in my mind, I will start posting chapters as soon as I can! I hope you guys will keep on reading, as I progress the story!

Last edited:
Here is chapter 6, sorry it is kinda short! As always, thanks for reading! :)

Chapter 6: Poke Ball Placement

I climbed down the last branch with my bag slung over my back and started walking towards Petalburg. "What would Will say, if I show up with only one Pokemon. I'd be embarrassed to death, and laughed at, by both of them. At the same time I am curious what Pokemon they managed to catch. I start climbing a steep hill. "Man, hope the way down isn't so bad." As I reach the top I actually catch a glimpse of Petalburg City. "Whoo! Finally made it." I shout. I listened as it echoed throughout the valley, then I start hiking down the path, careful not to trip.

As I reached the midway point down the hill, I took a moment to sit and enjoy the stellar view. "So this is what it is like, to travel on a journey, never knowing what could be next. Darn, sighting! It has kept me away from such an experience for five years." I stood back up and continued hiking down.

I grab Riolu's Poké Ball, and start tossing it up and down in my hand. As I get closer to the bottom of the hill I look up and sigh, as a horde of Swablu fly through the sky. "I need a fly-!" I accidentally dropped the Poké Ball after throwing it too high, and it starts rolling down the hill. "Crap!"

I ran down at full speed trying to chase it, but it just kept on gaining momentum. I trip, on a rock that is jutting out of the hill and start crashing towards the ground. I hit the ground pretty hard and moan. "Aahh, that hurt." I slowly got back on my feet and looked around. The ball is gone!

So I started running down the direction I saw it roll away. I reached the ground level, but don't see it anywhere. "I must be the unluckiest trainer out there, so much for a good day." I pout.
I started by crouching down and peering inside the closest shrub, with no luck I army crawled to the next one. As uncomfortable as I was, I kept on going.

I swear there were a million shrubs to search through. I start losing hope in actually finding that ball. "Well, I can't go home now, saying I lost my Pokemon!" So I keep on searching for a flash of white and red in the bushes. I spend the next ten minutes looking everywhere on the ground for it. "Where could that stupid ball go!"

"Hey Ryan!" I turn around to see Lavender watching me. Mudkip is sitting beside her, playing with the fin on his head.

"Heeyy!" I try to hide my expression, and put on a smile. "What are you doing here?"
I was coming down that hill when I saw your black cargo pants inside a bush.

"What were you doing in there?" She looks curious so I come up with a quick answer.

"Oh, I was uh, looking for berries." She looked at me in disbelief, but replies.

"Wanna have a Pokemon battle? I have been hoping for a rematch, ever since our battle at Professor Birch's lab. I sigh and respond.

"No, not really!" She looked bewildered, and responded sternly.

"Really! You must be a real coward." I wanted to tell her the truth, but knew I couldn't .

"I am not a coward!" I responded sharply, looking away.

"Whatever, just don’t turn me down next time!" She stalked away and I sighed.

"So this is what I get, what is wrong with me!" I dropped down on my knees and continued my search. I stand up a couple minutes later, losing all hope in my search, I start searching behind the shrubs when something catches my eye in the tree.

I look up, and see something gleam in a birds nest, way up in a birch tree. I see a red ball, perched up in the nest. "Oh, man! This is gonna be fun!" I remarked, sarcastically. I walked up to the tree and examine it. There are a lot of twigs jutting out of the tree but most of them look fragile. "Well, here I go." I whisked up the tree, careful to balance my weight from branch to branch.

Soon I reached the nest, as I looked inside I see some eggs, with my Poké ball next to them. I grabbed my Poké ball, but get startled as I hear something squawking from above. I look up in fear, and see a not so happy Fearow circling above. I start climbing down quickly, accidentally putting too much weight on one branch *snap*! I peered down at my feet to see the branch snapping in half.

"Oh, cra-!" I start free falling, and land on my back. "Aahh, that hurt!" Even though my back surges with pain, I stand up and started running away, afraid of what that Fearow will do to me if I stay. I run for like a mile before slowing down and taking a breath. "I really hate that Pokemon!" I look straight ahead baffled. Somehow I managed to run right towards Petalburg City.

"Well, won't ya look at that." I walk past the sign that reads, Petalburg City, and see a Pokemon Center. I scrounge over there hoping to find a place to crash for like an hour. As I walk towards the Pokemon Center, I grab Riolu's Poké ball from my pocket. I walk right through the door, but what I see stops me in my tracks!

Last edited:
Sorry Chapter 7 was also kinda short, but I mainly use it to develop characters a little more.

Chapter 7: A Not So (Will)ing Battle

Lavender is talking to Will by the lobby, probably chatting about me. She spots me, and calls. "Ryan, come here!" I start walking towards her with Riolu's ball tight in my grasp.

"What's up?" I ask, hoping Will has nothing to do with it. She glances at Will then looks at me. I get a bad feeling about what she is about to say. She looks a little embarrassed which is not like her, but comments.

"Will, wants to have a battle with you." I smirk, thinking why didn’t Will just ask me himself. Is he afraid or something?

""Too cool to ask me yourself, huh Will." He turns around with a Poké ball in his hand. I realize that he already has two Pokemon and I only have one, but I can’t back down.

"Shut it! Do you wanna battle or not?" I nod acceptingly, hoping that this was not a big mistake. I follow him as we march outside. We pass the gym and the Poke Mart on the way there. As soon as we reach the battle field next to the gym. He takes one side, so I stand on the other. He wastes no time and calls out his first Pokemon. "Go, Treecko!"

I throw my Poke ball and watch. "Come on out, Riolu!" Riolu materializes out of his Poké ball and looks around. Will glances at me, and shouts.

"You go first, you're gonna need it!" I cringe after hearing that, but regardless I start by commanding Riolu.

"Riolu, use quick attack!" Riolu runs at Treecko, but Treecko is very quick and dodges. Will rolls his eyes and comments.

"Gotta be quicker than that. "Treecko use Razor Leaf." I watch as some sharp green leaves come and scratched Riolu. Riolu gets on one knee panting.

"Riolu get up! Use feint!" Treecko wasn't expecting it, and got thrown back as Riolu darts at it. Will shrugged, and barked.

"Treecko lets go! Use Tackle. Treecko started racing towards Riolu. I commanded.

"Riolu dodge!" Somehow Riolu jumps over Treecko landing softly behind him. "Use feint, one more time." Treecko looked around, oblivious where Riolu was. Treecko got slammed from behind and crashed into the ground.

"Treecko, get up!" Treecko is unresponsive so Will returned him to his Poké ball. "Well looks like you got a little lucky!" I shrugged, not caring what he said. I told Riolu.

"Nice job, one more to go!" Riolu nodded, but I noticed how exhausted he was after that fight. Hopefully he can keep up with Will's last Pokemon. Will threw a Poké ball.

"Go Zigzagoon!" I watched as a small striped Pokemon, materialized out of the ball. "Zigzagoon use, tackle! Zigzagoon came at Riolu with blinding speed, throwing Riolu back. I knew Riolu couldn't take much more.

"Riolu try a Quick Attack!" Riolu stumbled to his feet and bolted at Zigazgoon. Riolu was slowing down by the second. Will yelled.

"Zigzagoon dodge!" Riolu barely missed and crashed into the ground. I started pacing back and forth in worry, about what would happen next. "Zigzagoon, use Tackle!" Zigzagoon crashed into Riolu and I knew that was it.

"Riolu, return!" I glanced down trying to hide my expression of disappointment. Will barked.

"Who is your next Pokemon?" I knew I had no choice but to tell him the truth. I glanced up at Will.

"Riolu is my only one, good match." I uttered. He started laughing, I knew this would happen.

"Wow you only have one Pokemon, what a joke! Later loser!" He walked away laughing. I knew I had to take Riolu to the Pokemon Center, so I started trudging over there. By the time I had passed the gym, and the Poké Mart, I had thought over my options. I had to look by the Petalburg Woods and find a Pokemon, or else I would lose every battle.

I walked through the doors towards Nurse Joy. "Hi, Nurse Joy. I was hoping you could heal my Riolu, he just lost a battle.” She smiled and replied.

"Sure just give me his Poké ball and wait in the lobby. I strided over to the lobby and noticed Lavender standing there with Mudkip next to her. She looked at me sadly and remarked.

"Rough battle, huh?” I sighed and sat down, then I stared at her.

"Yea, Riolu took a real beating. I will beat him next time though!" I replied sharply. I started thinking a out how there was a gym here and asked curiously. "Have you versed the gym here?"

"Nah, turns out this gym is really strong, so I am gonna come back later." I think this through, and respond quickly.

"The next gym is in Rustboro City, Professor Birch told me the gym there is really strong !” I really gotta do some intense training." She looks a bit surprised.

"Really! Looks like I gotta go train to, later!" She walked off with her Mudkip by her side. I realize Nurse Joy is waiting by the counter, so I prowl towards her.

"Is Riolu ok?" She hands me my Poké ball, and grins at me.

"Yes, just let him rest for some time." I feel relieved and wander out the door. I put the Poké ball in my bag and start heading in the direction of the Poké Mart. I need some supplies like Poké balls, food, and Potions.

I enter the shop, looking around for the right shelf. "Good morning, hope you find what you need!" I look around and see that the clerk had said that. I walk to the back of the blue store and find some potions and food.

Then I walk over to the second aisle observing each one's contents. I see some red Poké balls, and next to it are some blue ones. Even though they are slightly more expensive, I grab them and walk to the the counter. "What are these!" I ask.

"Oh, those are great balls, they are rare but we just received a shipment! They increase your chance of catching a Pokemon." I look at them curiously, wonder if they can help me catch a Pokemon?

"Cool, I will take them." The clerk calculates the price and I pay her with the money my mom gave me. "Thanks!" I stride out the door and on the road towards the Petalburg Woods!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I worked really hard to get this chapter in tonight, so I hope you guys like it! Also, I would like to mention that levels are not included in this story!

Chapter 8: The Wretched Woods

I march on the road towards the Petalburg Woods, with high hopes of catching a Pokemon. "Hey kid, come here!" I look around and see a tall, fair skinned man standing on the side of the trail about 15 feet away.

I walk over cautiously, with Riolu's Poké ball in hand ready. "Yes, is there anything I can help you with?" He looks at me and smirks.

"Yea, a Pokemon battle." He looks like an average guy, wearing a trench coat so I guess he just got bored or something. "So you up to it?" I know Riolu needs the training so I accept willingly.

"Go Riolu." Riolu materializes out of the ball, and stares sternly at the man. I don't know why, but Riolu doesn't like this guy.

"Go Poochyena!" I suddenly get a vivid flashback of our previous encounter with one of these, and shudder. Riolu also looks a bit shaken up. As I look at the Poochyena, it looks kinda evil in a way.

"Riolu, get it together!" Riolu nods and gets into battle stance. "Riolu use Quick Attack!" Riolu darts at the Poochyena, and collides with the Poochyena, blasting him backwards.

"Poochyena get up!" He said that in an unforgiving way, but Poochyena obeyed. Wonder what's with this guy? "Poochyena use Tackle!" Poochyena came sprinting down the field with murder in it's eyes.

"Riolu get out of the way!" He didn't move, what the heck was he doing! Suddenly Poochyena tried to bang into him, but was thrown back! "What the hell was that!" I exclaim! Could it be a new move? I point my Pokédex at him. Counter, when hit by a physical attack, the user strikes back with 2x the power.

That is so cool, Riolu learned a new a move. Wonder how he did it? "Poochyena get up!" The Poochyena stumbled to his feet and growled.

"Poochyena! Try Bite!" I get ready, and shout to Riolu hoping he understands the command.

"Use Counter again!" The man understands what is about to happen, he looks bewildered and yells.

"Poochyena stop!" But it is too late and Riolu counters it leaving Poochyena whimpering on the ground. I feel a little bad about what had just happened, but realize it was the man's fault for attacking like that.

I look at it and realize Poochyena was lying on the ground unresponsive. By the way the man looked, that was his only Pokemon so I shouted.

"Good match! It was fun!" He looked at me with an angry expression and replied angrily.

"Run kid, or else watch what I do to you." I take this into consideration and run past him, not wanting to take my chances. Riolu follows, also not wanting to mess with this guy.

In the distance I see the edge of the Petalburg Woods. I point the Pokédex at it to confirm. The Petalburg Woods, travelers often get lost in the thick forest. Little light reaches ground level, and a Shadow Pokemon has been sighted there.

I shudder at the thought of meeting a Shadow Pokemon, but trudge ahead knowing I can't stop here. As I walk towards the dark wilderness it get scarier the closer I get.

I have never left Dewford Town before, so I had never passed this area. Soon I reached the entrance, and I noticed Riolu tugging on my pants. "Your not scared!" I tease. But Riolu doesn't think it's funny, and returns itself to its Poké ball by touching the big white. "Coward." I mutter.

I start trekking inside the woods. "No joke, it is nearly dead black in here even though the sun it still setting outside.” I continue walking through, but start speed walking pretty soon. I hear owls screech from deep inside, and shudder, then I hear a howl.

I set my bag down and grab a flashlight I had packed at home. I turned it on, and it beamed through the woods, taking away some of the creepiness. I grab Riolu's Poké ball from my bag and grasp it in my hand, afraid I will need to use it.

I hear something rustle from behind me, I whirl around and flash my light into a bush. I see some blood red eyes glowing from the bush, and start bolting away yelling. "Aahh! It's a ghost!" I keep on running for like five minutes, sprinting through the dense brush.

By the time I stop, I must be a mile away. I sit down, panting and heaving. "Man, who needs Weight Watchers, when you can go on a journey! All I do is run, and not because I like to." I laugh at my own joke and settle down.

Before long, I get up again, afraid of sitting still for even 5 minutes. I grab my flashlight and beam it at the brush ahead once again.

It doesn't get any darker in the Woods, but my watch tells me it is starting to get pretty late. My watch reads, 8:42. I only got a couple hours before I gotta sleep. Plus I would like to get out of here, before I go unconscious and lie there defenseless.

As I walk past the shrubs, I look around realizing I had run away from the road that leads out of the woods. "Oh crap! Now I am screwed!" I am ready to scream in distress but then something creepy beats me to it. I hear a wailing shrill coming from my right side, it keeps on ringing through the woods and I freak out!

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry I won't be able to post a chapter today. I have been a little busy, but hope you guys will read on, and leave feedback! :)

Last edited:
Here is Chapter 9, I hope you guys like it. I might get Chapter 10 up tonight, maybe not.

Chapter 9: The Slacker Pokemon

"What is that!" The scream sounds like a humans. To be exact more like a girls voice, I wonder whether I should go help. For some odd reason, without thinking my legs start carrying me towards the voice. The scream was pretty loud, so the person must be pretty close. I was right, before long I come into a clearing, and see. Lavender! How is it I always come across this girl!

She is standing with Mudkip in front of her. "Hey Lav-!" I get thrown back, as a blast of water drenches me. I look back in her direction, to see her gasp. She scurries over to my side.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry! Are you ok?" I slowly sit up, and glance at Mudkip. I start to chuckle, and respond cheerfully.

"Yea I am fine, but why did you call Mudkip to attack me with Water Gun?" She scratched her head, and looked at me muttering.

"Well, I was kinda looking for someone, I am really sorry. I am just kinda lost." I nod, even though I am curious who she was expecting. I think for a second, but can't help it and ask.

"Who was it you were expecting?" She stared at Mudkip while thinking of a response. So I take the time to stand up and observe our surroundings with the flashlight in my hand. It is an open area, but tightly packed on the outskirts by bushes and trees. In this one spot the Moon’s light shines in. She comes up with an answer and responds.

"A man, he was tall and wore a trench coat." I gasped, and looked around suddenly wary about the surrounding area. I asked without looking at her.

"Did he have a Poochyena? If so I saw that guy earlier, I beat him in a Pokemon battle actually, but he told me to run." By the way she looked, I knew we had both met the same guy, but how? "What happened to you?" I asked.

"I also beat him, but he attacked me afterwards!" I shudder at the thought of such an encounter. "Luckily, Mudkip stopped him by using Tackle, and he fled back into the woods. I toss the thought back and forth in my head, trying to think of any reasoning for the situation.

"Did you notice anything strange about him?" She looked at me like I was stupid.

"Oh, I don't know maybe because he attacked me!" I sighed, then she responded seriously. "No nothing, other than the fact that his Poochyena looked demented, and he wore a black shirt under his coat that had a big S on it."

"A big S, huh." I couldn't figure anything out so I dropped the subject and asked. "So you are also lost?" She nodded, and looked around for a possible way out. "Well I am too, so you wanna travel out of here together or something?"

"Yea sure, that sounds safer. Who knows what else lurks in these woods." I nod agreeing, and grab my bag. As I rummage through it, I find a small second flashlight and throw it to her.

"Take this, we will need them considering it is so dark in these woods." She grabs a Poké ball from her blue jeans pocket, and throws it.

"I choose you, Taillow! Go scout ahead see if we are in danger." I am impressed, guess that is the second Pokemon she caught. Hopefully, it will help us get out of here. We both start walking ahead, following Taillow. We are forced to use our flashlights to illuminate the path ahead, or else we would be tripping everywhere.

We were just walking around, when we heard Taillow squawk from above. Lavender watched as Taillow flew down. "Did you find anything?" She asked.

"Taaillow!" I guess Tailow must have seen something, because it flew back up and raced in another direction. We just shrugged, and started trekking after taillow. Hoping it would lead us out of the woods. As we beamed our flashlights around, we hear a snoring coming from near by.

"What is that? I get the feeling it is a Pokemon, so I sprint towards the sound. "Wait! What are you doing?" I disregard her comment, and keep on running towards the sound. She starts following, hot in my footsteps. We reach the trunk of a large tree and look around.

"Where is that sound coming from?" Then suddenly I look up and my question is answered. A wild Slakoth is sleeping on the lowest branch. I point my Pokédex at it. Slakoth, the Slacker Pokemon. Slakoth is generally found and very few ever witness it in motion. Slakoth knows Scratch, and Yawn. The Slakoth I see in the picture looks lazy, but the one in the tree looks like he has been sleeping for months.

Whatever, it's a Pokemon to me. "I choose you, Riolu!” Riolu materialized out of the ball and started eyeing the Slakoth. “Riolu use Quick Attack on that Slakoth!" Riolu bolted up the tree, and slammed into Slakoth from behind. Slakoth came crashing to the ground but continued to snore. "What the hell, what kind of Pokemon is this." I figured to just throw a Poké ball. If he is so intent on sleeping, I will just catch him, in the act. I laughed a little at my joke, and threw the Poke ball.

"Go, Poké ball!" I watch as the ball shakes, once, twice, three times, *Ding*. "Yes!" I run up to the ball, and hold it towards the sky, Riolu is celebrating next to me. "I caught a Slakoth!" Lavender is giggling on the side. "What?" I ask.

"Sorry it is just Slakoth is, so lazy! I am not sure how strong it is." I glance at the ball, but shake my head. I stare at her, and scold.

"Hey! He is just as good as any Pokemon!" I throw the Poké ball at the ground, and Slakoth appears. He is still sleeping, so I make a conclusion. "I bet his yawn is so strong, that he used it on himself, and now he can't wake up!" I take some water from my bag and pour it on him.

"That seems to jumpstart his brain a little. He stirs a bit, and his head swivels around to face me. Then he just grunts. "Sllaakoth!" He sets his head down, and goes back to sleep.

"See! He is quite the Pokemon." I remark proudly, then I return him to his Poké ball. "Return, Slakoth!" He materializes back into his ball, and we set off again, following Taillow once more!

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry I have not been posting chapters lately. I have been really busy, so I will hopefully stick it to one chapter a day. I can't wait to reveal the next couple of chapters, so stay tuned.

Chapter 10: Trained Thoughts

"How big could this forest be." I mutter, and there is no sign of Taillow in the air so we continue to trek on through the trees. I glance down at my watch, it reads 3:21. "It is three in the morning! We have been traveling all night." I check my Pokédex for info on the Petalburg Woods.

The Petalburg Woods is one of the largest forests in Hoenn. "Well isn't that just dandy!" I look over at Lavender, she seems just as tired as me, but trudges on without complaining. "Whats on your mind?" I ask, hoping to lighten the mood a bit.

"Nothing much, just thinking about the next gym. The gym leader's name is Roxanne, and she uses Rock-type Pokemon. So my Mudkip having the advantage over Rock-types will be good, but Taillow is a Flying-type. I need to come up with a strategy to win." I chuckle, and respond.

"I am just gonna wing it!" She looks at me and shakes her head while grinning. I guess she doesn't believe me, honestly I actually feel a little too confident myself. Suddenly we hear Taillow, but can't see him through the canopy. So we cut through the thick brush and find a hole in the trees above.

"Taiilloow!" He swoops down and lands in front of Lavender squawking. By the way he looks with that happy face, my guess is we are near the end of the woods. It bring a smile to my face, and I sigh in relief. Lavender returns Taillow to it's Poké ball.

"Return Taillow, you deserve this rest. Good job!" We continue in the same direction, slumping towards what we hope is Rustboro City. While walking, I start thinking about how I am gonna beat Roxanne. If I am correct Fighting-types are strong against Rock-types, but Slakoth being a Normal-type doesn't have an advantage, or a disadvantage against Rock-types.

Since Rock-types have a strong defense. My thoughts are interrupted as we enter a clearing, and realize we have left the forest. It is still dark outside, but I put the flashlights away because the road is lighted by lampposts. "We made it!" I whisper, more than happy to get out of that forest. We must look like a mess, so we start walking towards the city.

As soon as we enter the city limits, we look around for a Pokémon Center. After scanning the area, I spot one a couple blocks down the road. We whisked towards it, and dart through the doors in a matter of seconds. We scrounge towards the counter and ask for a room.

"Nurse Joy, can we please get a room to sleep in." I exclaim. I am so tired my eyelids start to droop. She looks a bit confused due to our state, but leads us through a hallway towards a room. She opens the door and hands me they key. "Thanks!"

"Your welcome!" She responds cheerfully, and closes the door. Me and Lavender walk in throwing our bags on the floor and collapsing onto our beds, nearly passing out on the spot. I had no dreams that night, just pure darkness.

I sliced my eyes open, and peered around. Lavender was fast asleep, and our bags were lying on the ground below my bed. I lifted my arm and read my watch, it read 12:16. I sighed and closed my eyes trying to fall asleep, but failed to doing so.

So I sat up and grabbed my bag, I reached in looking for my Poké balls. I found both of them and pulled them out, then I whispered trying not to wake up Lavender. "Go, Riolu and Slakoth!" Both Pokemon materialized out of their balls at the same time.

Riolu was standing, but Slakoth was lying down. "Of course!" They both stared at me curiously, probably because there wasn't a battle going on, or food being served. "Ready for some training." I whispered, Riolu nodded. I quickly scribbled a note and placed it next to Lavender saying, gone training be back soon. So I walked out the door with Riolu in my footsteps, but Slakoth didn't follow. So I walked back, picked him up and marched out the door.

We left the Pokemon Center, and started back towards the Petalburg Woods. It didn't take very long, but soon we were right outside the Petalburg Woods. I wasn't to fond about going back in there, so we walked towards towards a tree off to the side, and started training.

"Riolu use Feint on that tree!" Riolu kept on slamming the tree trying to make his attack stronger, and before long there was a small dent where Riolu was hitting the tree. "Impressive!" I exclaimed, and Riolu gleamed with pride. I looked at Slakoth, and shouted.

"Slakoth try a Scratch Attack on that tree!" Slakoth just laid there, so I decided maybe he needed the right motivation. "Riolu, use Feint on Slakoth!" Slakoth was thrown back as Riolu hit him, and he glared at Riolu. Looks like Riolu had disturbed his sleep.

"It is a start. Riolu try a Quick Attack on Slakoth!" Once again, Slakoth was thrown backwards. Slakoth already looked a little beaten up, but he stood slowly and waited. "Riolu use Quick Attack one more time!" As Riolu ran up, Slakoth used Yawn and Riolu collapsed to the ground asleep.

Slakoth walked towards Riolu, and used Scratch. I was amazed, Slakoth managed to beat Riolu. The moment I returned Riolu to his ball, Slakoth sat down and fell asleep. He looked really exhausted, even though that battle was like a minute long! I shrugged and returned him, then I walked back towards the Pokemon Center. I was feeling confident and ready to face Roxanne later that day, thanks to our training!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am really sorry I have not been able to post chapters. I have been working really hard when I can to write, but I just don't have all that much time right now. Today I am not so busy, so I will post Chapter 11 later today. I hope you guys will continue to read my fan fiction, even though I can't post every day. As I said in my last chapter, stay tuned because the next few chapter will be good. ;)

Here is Chapter 11, I am glad you guys can finally read it. It has been a while since I have posted a chapter. Sorry I did not post this chapter last night, I was really tired before I finished it, so I did not post it. :p

Chapter 11: Rough Rocks

By the time I had made it back to our small room in the Pokemon Center, Lavender had woken up and gotten ready to leave. I walked through the door and asked her. "Are you ready to go?" She thought and replied.

"Yea, where have you been?" I guess she might not have read the note. I looked at her bed, and notice that it had fallen on the floor, so I respond.

"I left you a note." I point my finger at the ground. "I had gone to do some training before we face the gym today.” She nodded, so I grabbed my bag and walked down the hall towards the counter. "Thanks Nurse Joy!" I hand her the key, and she smiles at me.

"Let's go Ryan." I looked at Lavender, and noticed she was tapping her foot on the ground impatiently. Her expression showed the same thing.

"What's with you?" I ask, curious what she is in a rush to do. "Got somewhere to be?" She glances down at the ground, but then faces me and mutters.

"It's a bit complicated, let's just go." I shake my head, but start marching out the door. She follows with Mudkip by her side, like always. Thankfully, we don't have to walk very far because the gym is so close, and we reach quickly. It starts to get really hot, as the sun comes up.

Hoenn is not a hot region in particular, but it can get pretty hot sometimes. "Here we go." I whisper to myself, and I stride through the gym doors. I look around but can’t see anything because we are in a dark hallway, so we walk towards the other side. There is a large door at the end of the hall, I reach it and jam it open, only to be blinded by a beam of light. "Aahh, what is that?" I shout.

As soon as I can see, my eyes make out a large room full of rocks everywhere. "Hello, You must be a new challenger!" I whirl around, listening where the sound came from. I spot Roxanne on a rock at the other end of the room. Knowing what I must say, I respond.

"I wish to challenge you to a Pokemon battle for the Stone badge." She jumps down from the rocks, and lands softly on the grounds. She walks over to her side of the battle field and announces.

"We may each use 2 Pokemon, whoever knocks out the opponents Pokemon wins. Seems fair?" I nod and wait for her to send out her first Pokemon. I notice out of the corner of my eye, Lavender is walking over to the bleachers. "Go Geodude!" I point my Pokédex at him, as he materializes out of his ball.

Geodude, the Rock Pokemon. Geodude has incredibly high defensive power, making it virtually resistant to any physical attacks. "Well Riolu may use physical attacks, but he is strong against Geodude. Go Riolu!" Riolu popped out of his ball, and glared at the Geodude.

She attacked first. "Geodude, use Tackle." Geodude isn't very fast, so it tries to race down the field. I guess he is more like a tank.

"Riolu dodge!" Riolu darted out of the way easily, and turned around on Geodude. "Use Feint!" Riolu came at Geodude, and slammed into him. Geodude got blasted backwards, but got back up quickly.

It's gonna take more than that, to beat my Geodude. Geodude try another Tackle!" I thought of Riolu's possible moves. Suddenly it comes to me! I will have him use Counter, so he can block Geodude and Attack him with twice the power.

"Riolu, use Counter!" Riolu used Counter, and it took Roxanne by surprise. Once again, Geodude got thrown back, and this time he was struggling to get back up. Sadly, he was able to get up one last time. Roxanne knew he couldn't take much more, so she commanded.

"Geodude use Defense Curl!" I watched as Geodude hardened it's body. Now we need a move that can break that defense, what should I do? I thought hard on the situation, and considered all of Riolu's moves. Then she barked. "Geodude use Rollout!" I watched as Geodude made itself into a ball, then started rolling at Riolu quickly.

"Riolu use Counter!" I watched in horror, as Riolu failed to use Counter. He got slammed back against the wall, and wailed in pain.

"Riioluu!" I knew he could not take much more, but the same applied for Geodude. All these attacks and hits have tired both of the Pokemon out. Riolu won't be able to beat Geodude while he uses Rollout, but Geodude can't use that for much longer.

"Riolu quickly, use a Quick Attack like we practiced!" Riolu bolted at Geodude while he was panting. Roxanne saw what was about to happen and shouted.

"Geodude, use one last tackle!" Both Pokemon collided throwing crashing towards the ground, they had both been knocked out. "That was an impressive battle Ryan." She stared at me from across the stadium, grinning.

"Let's start the second battle." I called out. "Go Slakoth!" I was really hoping he wasn't sleeping, but to my dismay he was. She looked at him curiously, and called out her Pokemon. "Come on out, Nosepass." I pointed my Pokédex at the large grey figure. Nosepass, the Compass Pokemon. It's nose can point to the north like a compass needle. Travelers can use Nosepass to check directions.

She barked orders. "Nosepass use Rock Throw." I watched as the rocks came down on Slakoth, burying him in the ground.

Slakoth are you okay? Use Yawn on Nosepass!" I watched as Slakoth scrounged over to Nosepass, and yawned. Slakoth was so slow, I am almost couldn't help but laugh. Regardless, he had managed to put Nosepass to sleep. "Nice job Slakoth! Now try a Scratch attack." Slakoth wobbled next to Nosepass, and buried his claws into Nosepass. It did not seem to do much damage so I yelled. "Slakoth get back!"

Slakoth retreated, panting and wheezing from all the energy he had used up. Roxanne glanced up at me and commented. "Normal-type tracks don't do very much damage, you're gonna need another attack." I thought, but realized Slakoth only knows Normal-type attacks. By the time Slakoth got a hold of himself, he stared at Roxanne threateningly. He did not like her comment, at all.

Suddenly Slakoth burst at Nosepass, while Nosepass was waking up. "What the hell is he doing!"

Last edited:
As sad as it is, I have come with bad news. :( So I have started realizing how busy I really am, and I am here to tell you about that. First of all, I am not stopping my story at Chapter 11, but I will be posting much less frequently. As a reader, you should expect a chapter anywhere from every 2-5 days. I am really sorry about this inconvenience, but I hope you guys understand.

No need to worry, JoshB. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, writing takes up quite a bit of time, and I bet all the readers appreciate your continued effort up to this point. I think every 2-5 days is a nice pace to release chapters in, as it not only gives you more time to think through the story, direction, and ideas, but you'll be more motivated as well.

Back